44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
626 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.44andahalf.com/
- Phone: 212-399-4450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Hart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 44 1/2 provides full service catering and event planning on or off premises. On premise we host private dinners from 14 to 75 persons in our elegant, Japanese inspired dining room. We also offer a serene bamboo garden, which is available year round and seats 55 persons for dinner or up to 75 people for cocktail and hors d’oeuvres service. Off premise our meticulous staff will attend to your every need whether your event is an intimate gathering of close friends or a large-scale gala for hundreds of guests. The menu options consist of seasonal and fresh haute versions of American comfort food.
- Private Party Facilities: 44 1/2 provides full service catering and event planning on or off premises. On premise we host private dinners from 14 to 75 persons in our elegant, Japanese inspired dining room. We also offer a serene bamboo garden, which is available year round and seats 55 persons for dinner or up to 75 people for cocktail and hors d’oeuvres service. Off premise our meticulous staff will attend to your every need whether your event is an intimate gathering of close friends or a large-scale gala for hundreds of guests. The menu options consist of seasonal and fresh haute versions of American comfort food.
- Private Party Contact: April Lockhart 212-726-1170
- Cross Street: Between 44th and 45th Streets
- Public Transit: 1, 2, 3, 7, A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, & W trains to 42nd Street. The restaurant is walking distance to Times Square and the Theater District.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: In addition to street parking, there are public parking lots located on 45th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues and on 44th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.
A word from 44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
Located along 10th Avenue, a short walk away from 58 Broadway and off-Broadway theaters, shines a beacon for scrumptious food and impeccable service delivered in a stunningly elegant space. Dotted with theater patrons, show people and their entourages and the trendy hipsters of the neighborhood, 44 ½ Hell’s Kitchen provides a lively yet intimate bar with boutique wines, many by the glass, as well as a seasonal specialty cocktail list and an extensive menu. Owner and Executive Chef Scott Hart offers an artistic and modern approach to contemporary American cuisine with seasonal ingredients sourced from many local farms. Whether you are seated in the Japanese inspired dining room or the calming bamboo garden, the energetic and attentive wait staff will make you feel like part of the family. Dinner served daily starting at 5:00pm and brunch on the weekends starting at 11:00am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (100)neighborhood gem (76)great for brunch (62)fit for foodies (59)romantic (45)good for groups (37)special occasion (37)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)notable wine list (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- MaximusMaximusDined on 9/14/2014I requested and was accommodated with garden seating. Beautiful weather and wonderful service. Food was excellent at our brunch. We celebrated my friend's birthday and brought our own cake and candles. The staff was very gracious by bringing out the cake to sing "Happy Birthday" - took pictures for us then cut and plated the cake. We had a fantastic time. I've been to 44 1/2 many times and have never been disappointed. Their food is delicious; no matter what you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service-- friendly and funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful evening. Enjoying a pre- broadway show dinner. Staff understood our time commitment and we never felt rushed. Both appetizers recommendations were perfect. From bartender, to wait staff , everyone was friendly and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic garden dining!Malevolus0099Dined on 9/10/201444 & 1/2 is a hidden gem with incredible food in a lovely garden area tucked into Hells Kitchen. I went here 6 hears ago and was worried it would have changed but it was just as fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful theatre district pickRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014We had dinner after a Sunday matinee in the back patio on a lovely night. The setting is just perfect, and the service warm and responsive. The food is excellent too. Dessert (pink champagne sorbet was more like frozen crunchy cotton candy than light smooth sorbet) was a bit weird but everything else rocked.Special Features:
- Service Trumps FoodRodneyGDined on 9/7/2014it doesn't matter how beautiful a restaurant is or how amazing their food is. If your water needs to be called every time he's needed, you have a service staff problem. Never was this guy available for our table when we needed him except when we ordered, from that point on we had to fetch him. Other than that we had a wonderful brunch. I felt jealous of other tables on his section. Obviously we weren't attractive enough. LOLSpecial Features:
- Great BrunchJlockerDined on 9/7/2014This is a great spot for Sunday Brunch. I had a friend in from out of town and we both enjoyed the food, drinks and ambiance. Hugo and Frankie behind the bar were great hosts. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super cute atmosphereAnnabearDined on 9/7/2014Lovely restaurant, has an outdoor garden in the back, roses on every table. Very feminine and good for a girls' brunch sort of place. Food is good, portion size is good as well. Standard American brunch fair - eggs benedict, omelets, granola, fruit salad, etc. Many options for vegetarians as well. Delicious mini corn muffins. Fast service, come early around 11 am on Sundays to beat the crowd and get faster service. Handsome wait staff, all wearing cute pink t-shirts and skinny shorts! Genderless bathroom, again filled with multi colored roses in pink/magenta/orange/yellow!Special Features:
- Good Food - Service Can Be LackingMikeDined on 9/6/2014We often eat at 44 ½ before going to the theater. The food is very good and reasonably priced. The waitstaff, unfortunately can be lacking. On this visit, the waiter was totally inexperienced. He took a partial order but had to be reminded that he hadn't taken everyone's. When the food and drinks arrived at the table, they had to be switched to the proper recipients. The waiter also leaned in front of one diner to clear another diner's plate from the table. Finally, "Bloody Mary's" weren't on the 6:00 pm menu - they're only served with brunch. This visit to 44 ½ was disappointing.
- LovelyDmf1Dined on 9/4/2014We had a pre theater reservation, so it was very quiet and we were the only people outside in the garden so difficult to qualify but the food was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service Ruined Our MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014The waiter was not attentive and did not know much about the menu. It took a long time for our food and there was only a few guests in the restaurant which did not make sense. Waiter got my order wrong and was not around very much to correct. He left my companion's water glass empty the entire meal. They left dirty dishes on the table for a long time and I finally asked for more water and for the dishes to be taken away by another server then asked for our bill. Our credit cards sat out for about 10 minutes then I finally went to look for a manager. I found all the waiters up at the bars talking. I pulled the host aside to ask for a manager. There was not a manager in the restaurant on Saturday night!! Unbelievable poor service !!!
- Great brunchBuzzwordVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great brunch at 44 1/2. The food is excellent and the staff is attentive and friendly. The restaurant verges on the hip/hipster scene, but the patio in the back is more casual and relaxed for those of us who have seen our hipster days come and go! I would definitely return and recommend 44 1/2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatRickVIPDined on 8/28/2014I try to visit 44 1/2 every time I go to Manhattan. The food, the service, and the outdoor patio make it one of my favorites in NYC.Special Features:
- Great patio and good food!miner531Dined on 8/28/2014Pleasantly surprised by spot in hells kitchen not too far from the theatre district. The street (10 Av.) near this location isn't hip or attractive by any means, so this gem definitely stands out as a place to check out. The bar inside is very stylish although seems a little cramped, but the outside patio great. Tall brick walls enclose the patio then more red brick buildings surround the area filled with plant life and a cool style. Menu had good options, but it seemed a lottle geared towards the feminine with the pink "Divas" menu and wait staff wearing the same colored t-shirts. That said the food tasted good and when my friends steak was overcooked they promptly replaced it. I would definitely return but not was a bunch of dudesSpecial Features:
- Not a bad placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014I would recommend this place for a couple rather than a group. The ambience was geared more for romance than any other occasion. They have a beautiful garden backyard but the view is limited as it does not overlook any streets since it is in the back of the restaurant. The food however was very good, I enjoyed every dish I had and would go back just to try more. The let down with this restaurant was they did not make any special arrangements for my birthday when I specifically indicated on the reservation that it was a 25th birthday. As well, the service was mediocre even though it was not busy at all, would have expected more attention from the servers.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Cap819Dined on 8/22/2014Great ambiance, fun and unusual drinks. All of our food was delicious and service was great. Thank you, 44 1/2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our meal here very much. The service was attentive without being hovering and the food was outstanding. A little pricy but probably not unusual for NYC.Special Features:
- Love itIkeetteDined on 8/17/2014Where else can you find cocktails named "Tina Turner?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as it's sisterTMFfromRaleighVIPDined on 8/17/2014This is the sister restaurant to 44X and just a few doors away. The feel is more casual and the menu selections are less formal. The food is still great and wait staff provides plenty of eye candySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/10/2014I've been here before for my birthday dinner, and had a terrific experience. However, my most recent trip for brunch was marred by the fact that the service was awful. Took forever to place our orders, receive our food, and get drink refills. It did seem like other tables were being helped without any issue, so perhaps it was only our waiter. Other than the service the restaurant has a nice atmosphere, outdoor seating area, and good food.
- NicoleDined on 8/9/2014Everything looked amazing and tasted delicious. The portions were generous but still manageable. It was a great find for a delicious meal before seeing a show.Special Features:
- Ahhhhhmazing!!!AmalleyDined on 8/9/2014Great ombiance! Great food! Great staff! We went here before a show on a sat night and had a wonderful time. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood GemLiamVIPDined on 8/9/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – the garden is in back is to die for. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The spinach mushroom omelet was amazing and the hot chocolate was refreshing. 44 1/2 is the quintessential brunch spot. Service was well-timed and friendly, and dishes were affordable. Would definitely return! Oh, the staff's uniform (pink shirts) were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply good serviceLdc268VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food excellent and creative yet simple americana crafted menu. Attentive service makes my experoence 90% valued. Good job guys!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ndCityDined on 8/2/2014Server didn't know how to take a martini order and seemed confused in general (also got the dessert order wrong) but otherwise the meal was fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerMikeKVIPDined on 8/2/2014Booked a birthday dinner here. party of 6. We lost one that day so only 5. placed at a round table, in front of the kitchen and next to the bathroom was. They were unwilling to let us have a different table. We were quite uncomfortable as there was so much traffic passing by our table, bumping into us. And one of our party was wedged against the wall. Food was good as usual, and our waiter was a delight. Of course they were out of the 2 things on the dessert menu i had been dreaming about all through the meal. When they bought the birthday boys dessert i really expected there would be a candle on it, maybe a song. I guess, filling in the special instruction section here on Open Table might not be enough, but I could not get uncrammedSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experienceDenkrusesrDined on 8/1/2014Staff was excellent as well as the food. Arrived late for reservation due to traffic and still was able to get in and out on time for the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed 44 1/2 Hell's KitchenAmykins80Dined on 7/31/2014My husband and I planned a 2-day mini vacation to New York City. We learned about 44 1/2 from a family member when I said we were looking for a good steak, delicious cocktails and romantic atmosphere. 44 1/2 delivered on all accounts! The weather was a bit cool for late July, so we ate in the back courtyard for our 8pm reservation. My beets were awesome and my husband'a crabcake was a work of art! He had filet (perfectly medium rare as requested) and I had amazing scallops and veggies. So good! I had an amazing citrus martini and my husband enjoyed his gin & tonics. We adored the courtyard (a little noisy since they were busy by 9, but still great). Our server, Tyler (and other staffers) treated us like royalty. So glad we choose 44 1/2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for date nightjorepeDined on 7/29/2014We went early (5:30pm reservation) so I can't confirm the noise level when it is packed, but we sat in the garden and it was delightful. The staff was very nice and helpful. We had theater tickets and they went out of their way to make sure we got our food and then the check in a quickly, but never made us feel rushed. Oh, and the food was delicious too! Will definitely go back and will definitely be recommending to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey but not unusualGTST5006Dined on 7/28/2014A little pricey but probably not unusual for NYC. The food was good, but I wouldn't say the food was outstanding but it was good. The Service was really outstanding. Our drinks stayed full and we never had to hunt the waiter down. With that said, we went to dinner early and the place was 2/3 vacant. The outside sitting area was pleasantly very nice. Very nice to go to before a Broadway show, due to speed of service and location. I wouldn't say it's old school romantic but does deliver on a touch of romance (decor is more modern).Special Features:
- MikeVIPDined on 7/27/2014Difficult to have conversations. Music too loud. Disco-tech tracks abundant, not good when you are trying to have a nice meal and chat with friends.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Everything about this place was great, the food, the seating, and especially the service, it was impeccable.Special Features:
- MehLoganDined on 7/26/2014The host was pleasant enough but our server was mediorce and the description of the French Toast was way off: more like a cross between a tower of ciabata bread smooshed together and a bread fritatta. And despite asking for the bacon to be crisp, it was about 5 pieces stuck together with one end limp and the other slightly crisp. The server left the bill without asking if we wanted anything else, saying "for our convenience"... It's Sunday brunch: it would be more covenient if you asked if I wanted a second cocktail. Highly doubt I'd return, even though it's only four blocks from my apt.
- Best of our tripOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Dinner here was the best of a 4-day trip to NY with girlfriends. We loved the Elizabeth Taylor Coconut Martinis and Ginger Girl cocktails, the halibut and bass dishes were perfectly prepared and the lobster ravioli was delicious. Blueberry Crisp with white chocolate ganache topped off the event! Garden was lovely with fountain and fresh roses on the tables.Special Features:
- EnjoyableAandEDined on 7/24/2014We had dinner here before attending a Broadway show. The service was very good - polite and accommodating. We sat out on the back patio which provided for a secluded feel to the experience. Cocktails were tasty and the food was very good. The wait staff was prompt and careful to note the time needed to get to the theater. Very nice experience.Special Features:
- Very Hot, not in a good way.LucasdogDined on 7/22/2014Everything about this restaurant was perfectly fine, and I would go back again, just not on hot summer night. While we were sitting in the back, where it should have been cooler, it was very clear after a while that air-conditioning was not working. My dinner partner insisted we leave after main course was eaten because he could not take the heat. This was too bad since, as I said, everything else was really good.Special Features:
- So soNjeyedr522Dined on 7/20/2014We went for Sunday brunch prior to going to the theatre. Food took forever to be served. Overall it was very warm inside. Server never checked on us and took awhile to get his attention. Food was decent but presentation was lacking, it was all muddled on the plate.
- Pleasant outdoor brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014We found 44 1/2 on open table while looking for a spot to have brunch when in NYC. We particularly enjoyed eating outside in a back courtyard, which was very pleasant on a beautiful day, a quiet, green spot in the middle of the city. French toast and spinach omelette were both very good, as were the fresh fruit accompanying them. Music was a little frenetic for the quiet spot and Sunday brunch, especially "Let it Go" with an underlying beat machine.Special Features:
- ThomasDined on 7/19/2014We very much enjoyed the evening sitting out back in the courtyard. The service and food were very good and it was an evening with exceptional weather so sitting outside was great. Great evening overall and I would definitely recommend to a frient. p.s. the crab cake appetizer is a meal in itself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleDined on 7/19/2014Very nice table outside in the back patio. Food was very good, but drinks were extremely expensive. We were shocked for a party of 7 the bill was over $500 for a simple dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch spotChelseaJoeVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love the brunches, especially the diva-named specialty cocktails! Food is delicious, and prices are awesome. Wait staff amazing, and easy on the eyes!Special Features: