44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
626 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.44andahalf.com/
- Phone: 212-399-4450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Hart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 44 1/2 provides full service catering and event planning on or off premises. On premise we host private dinners from 14 to 75 persons in our elegant, Japanese inspired dining room. We also offer a serene bamboo garden, which is available year round and seats 55 persons for dinner or up to 75 people for cocktail and hors d’oeuvres service. Off premise our meticulous staff will attend to your every need whether your event is an intimate gathering of close friends or a large-scale gala for hundreds of guests. The menu options consist of seasonal and fresh haute versions of American comfort food.
- Private Party Facilities: 44 1/2 provides full service catering and event planning on or off premises. On premise we host private dinners from 14 to 75 persons in our elegant, Japanese inspired dining room. We also offer a serene bamboo garden, which is available year round and seats 55 persons for dinner or up to 75 people for cocktail and hors d’oeuvres service. Off premise our meticulous staff will attend to your every need whether your event is an intimate gathering of close friends or a large-scale gala for hundreds of guests. The menu options consist of seasonal and fresh haute versions of American comfort food.
- Private Party Contact: April Lockhart 212-726-1170
- Cross Street: Between 44th and 45th Streets
- Public Transit: 1, 2, 3, 7, A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, & W trains to 42nd Street. The restaurant is walking distance to Times Square and the Theater District.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: In addition to street parking, there are public parking lots located on 45th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues and on 44th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.
A word from 44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen
Located along 10th Avenue, a short walk away from 58 Broadway and off-Broadway theaters, shines a beacon for scrumptious food and impeccable service delivered in a stunningly elegant space. Dotted with theater patrons, show people and their entourages and the trendy hipsters of the neighborhood, 44 ½ Hell’s Kitchen provides a lively yet intimate bar with boutique wines, many by the glass, as well as a seasonal specialty cocktail list and an extensive menu. Owner and Executive Chef Scott Hart offers an artistic and modern approach to contemporary American cuisine with seasonal ingredients sourced from many local farms. Whether you are seated in the Japanese inspired dining room or the calming bamboo garden, the energetic and attentive wait staff will make you feel like part of the family. Dinner served daily starting at 5:00pm and brunch on the weekends starting at 11:00am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
44 1/2 Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (106)neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (62)great for brunch (60)romantic (46)good for groups (39)special occasion (37)great for lunch (20)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)Show More
- Grreat job!!!!!AlanKVIPDined on 10/28/2014Kyle, I believe was spot on. Great job and performance! Amazing food, drinks, and professionalism!!Special Features:
- SpaceRaymondDined on 10/26/2014The only problem is the number of tables squeezed into a long narrow room. Tables too tiny. Food was very good. Garden looked lovely but a little too chilly for us too eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014We usually go to the sister restaurant, 44 & X, but decided to try 44 1/2 this time. We were not disappointed. The food and service are terrific. A little snag occurred when our main courses took a long time to come out and were not hot when the arrived. When they were finally delivered they were tasty.
- Fab design (not the food) lingerskelpDined on 10/23/2014The design of this restaurant is memorable. A confident hand created the color and design scheme, managing every detail from the cabbage and rose vases above the beautiful sink in the washroom to the waiters' tongue-in-cheek t-shirts with food-related words such as 'toasted' 'baked' 'sugar' etc. The ambiance stands strong around a menu that is enticing and drew me into the restaurant after a late-night wander one night. I wish that the food delivered on the menu's promise. The soup is heavy-handed without a clear flavor profile. The beets, three small beet medallions, bisected by tasteless creamy cheese were disappointing. The halibut was perfectly cooked; the best item of the evening was the thinly-sliced vegetables accompanying it.Special Features:
- lllinnieVIPDined on 10/19/2014wonderful small oasis on 10th ave. great food, great menu priced well.Special Features:
- Love this place!LeftCoastGuy184Dined on 10/18/2014Had an early reservation after a matinee performance. The place was fairly empty but the staff were warm and welcoming. I brought two very fussy eaters with me. It took awhile for them to choose their entrees but our waiter was very helpful in making suggestions that they ultimately went for...and were extremely pleased once they were served. We shared the calamari appetizer and it was very generous in size, and tasted freshly prepared, as was the accompanying duck sauce and spicy marinara dipping options. Great meals and generous martinis were expertly prepared. Beautifully designed space, a little crowded once it filled up, and the noise levels increased as well, but I love coming here with friends. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- FabulousDrew58Dined on 10/11/2014Every time we go to Manhattan, 441/2 is always our go to restaurant. We love the people, the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It made me happy!DocFabDined on 10/11/2014The restaurants entire vibe makes you feel sassy and happy. My food was great. The drink menu is too cute for words. It was the perfect place to celebrate a brunch to toast to finding my wedding dress! We shall return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyNatalyDined on 10/10/2014Nice ambiance, tasty food...I've been there twice; one for brunch, the other one for dinner. Both were great.Special Features:
- Romantic Spot on 10th!NYCloveMTKVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great experience at 44 1/2. I went with my sister and we ate outside in the back. It was beautiful, great lighting and a rose on every table (so romantic!). I ordered the Kobe burger with tempura style bacon and asparagus on top and a side salad, it was really good! My sister ordered the filet which was equally delicious and reasonably priced for the amount of food. The wait staff was friendly and welcoming!Special Features:
- Gem on TenthDK1362Dined on 10/5/201444 1/2 and it's sister restaurant are our go-to dinner spots before or after West Side theater. Always comfortable, reasonable value and service is always pleasant.Special Features:
- PphPHDined on 10/4/2014Beautiful place , great location for theater, but not a touristy spot. We ate outside and loved it. Food, people were great service excellentSpecial Features:
- Definately worth returningKrisVIPDined on 10/1/2014Tasty comfort food served with warmth and genuine hospitality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemsklcopakeDined on 9/30/2014Celebrated an anniversary with a delicious meal, warm atmosphere, a beautiful wine and attentive ( but not intrusive) service. Would definitely return and recommend for a pre-theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBrunchbabesDined on 9/28/2014Good portions. Fun atmosphere. Love the names of the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect brunch spotWhyCookDined on 9/28/2014We three each had a notable meal. The Sunday brunch chicken sandwich is ... perfect. Pancakes were a huge hit and the chopped salad is always a winner. Go hungry because the portions are generous and well balanced.Special Features:
- Bday Brunch...Big mistake!VacayMamaVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great menu, nice staff but they completely dropped the ball on my Father in Laws birthday brunch. Everything that could go wrong did. They could not accomodate our request to be in the garden even though we requested way in advance. Even the simplest things were not done. Food was slow. Kids never got food orders wrong. They never brought cake or sang Happy bday as requested and made us sit for 40 minutes waiting for check. Had the nerve to add on 20 percent gratuity! After complaining to manager, he took off some $.
- Awesome find!!!FirsttimersDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I came to NYC for our anniversary dinner and had no idea where to go for dinner. After reading reviews we decided on 44 1/2 and I'm so glad we did. All the waiters were amazing. My husband got their crab cake which was amazing and I got beet something which was delicious. Our entrees were just as good. I will def go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Doggie Moms!legzlieDined on 9/27/2014As usual, I had a fabulous time with 8 of my fellow doggie Moms at 44 1/2. They set up a beautiful table in the front of the restaurant following our fundraiser, brought out amazing food and drinks and treated us like queens!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKadyBloom137Dined on 9/24/2014Been back twice now. Relaxing and great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoolAlatLunchDined on 9/20/2014Great spot - food could use some simplifying. On a recent night, we were the last table - sorry - but I thought of 44-1/2 as a late night spot!Special Features:
- Garden DelightJillDined on 9/17/2014The outdoor garden was beautiful. Our waiter was wonderful and helpful with our selections. The bar staff was not responsive as we had to ask 3 times for a drink. The food was outstanding, especially the risotto. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- madbowDined on 9/16/2014Enjoyed a wonderful pre theater meal in outdoor patio. The crab cake appetizer could be a main. My lobster potpie was delicious. We definitely plan to return when in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaximusMaximusDined on 9/14/2014I requested and was accommodated with garden seating. Beautiful weather and wonderful service. Food was excellent at our brunch. We celebrated my friend's birthday and brought our own cake and candles. The staff was very gracious by bringing out the cake to sing "Happy Birthday" - took pictures for us then cut and plated the cake. We had a fantastic time. I've been to 44 1/2 many times and have never been disappointed. Their food is delicious; no matter what you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreasureCricketsDined on 9/12/2014The food, the staff, the ambiance - all first rate. This is a wonderful place to meet friends. There is something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service-- friendly and funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful evening. Enjoying a pre- broadway show dinner. Staff understood our time commitment and we never felt rushed. Both appetizers recommendations were perfect. From bartender, to wait staff , everyone was friendly and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic garden dining!Malevolus0099Dined on 9/10/201444 & 1/2 is a hidden gem with incredible food in a lovely garden area tucked into Hells Kitchen. I went here 6 hears ago and was worried it would have changed but it was just as fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful theatre district pickRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014We had dinner after a Sunday matinee in the back patio on a lovely night. The setting is just perfect, and the service warm and responsive. The food is excellent too. Dessert (pink champagne sorbet was more like frozen crunchy cotton candy than light smooth sorbet) was a bit weird but everything else rocked.Special Features:
- Service Trumps FoodRodneyGDined on 9/7/2014it doesn't matter how beautiful a restaurant is or how amazing their food is. If your water needs to be called every time he's needed, you have a service staff problem. Never was this guy available for our table when we needed him except when we ordered, from that point on we had to fetch him. Other than that we had a wonderful brunch. I felt jealous of other tables on his section. Obviously we weren't attractive enough. LOLSpecial Features:
- Great BrunchJlockerDined on 9/7/2014This is a great spot for Sunday Brunch. I had a friend in from out of town and we both enjoyed the food, drinks and ambiance. Hugo and Frankie behind the bar were great hosts. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super cute atmosphereAnnabearDined on 9/7/2014Lovely restaurant, has an outdoor garden in the back, roses on every table. Very feminine and good for a girls' brunch sort of place. Food is good, portion size is good as well. Standard American brunch fair - eggs benedict, omelets, granola, fruit salad, etc. Many options for vegetarians as well. Delicious mini corn muffins. Fast service, come early around 11 am on Sundays to beat the crowd and get faster service. Handsome wait staff, all wearing cute pink t-shirts and skinny shorts! Genderless bathroom, again filled with multi colored roses in pink/magenta/orange/yellow!Special Features:
- Good Food - Service Can Be LackingMikeDined on 9/6/2014We often eat at 44 ½ before going to the theater. The food is very good and reasonably priced. The waitstaff, unfortunately can be lacking. On this visit, the waiter was totally inexperienced. He took a partial order but had to be reminded that he hadn't taken everyone's. When the food and drinks arrived at the table, they had to be switched to the proper recipients. The waiter also leaned in front of one diner to clear another diner's plate from the table. Finally, "Bloody Mary's" weren't on the 6:00 pm menu - they're only served with brunch. This visit to 44 ½ was disappointing.
- LovelyDmf1Dined on 9/4/2014We had a pre theater reservation, so it was very quiet and we were the only people outside in the garden so difficult to qualify but the food was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Garden is DelightfulHarryVIPDined on 9/3/2014I like this restaurant very much, especially the garden. It is amazing that this garden room exists on 10th Avenue, opposite a petrol station. It is an oasis in NYC. Food is great, service very good. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Poor Service Ruined Our MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014The waiter was not attentive and did not know much about the menu. It took a long time for our food and there was only a few guests in the restaurant which did not make sense. Waiter got my order wrong and was not around very much to correct. He left my companion's water glass empty the entire meal. They left dirty dishes on the table for a long time and I finally asked for more water and for the dishes to be taken away by another server then asked for our bill. Our credit cards sat out for about 10 minutes then I finally went to look for a manager. I found all the waiters up at the bars talking. I pulled the host aside to ask for a manager. There was not a manager in the restaurant on Saturday night!! Unbelievable poor service !!!
- Great brunchBuzzwordVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great brunch at 44 1/2. The food is excellent and the staff is attentive and friendly. The restaurant verges on the hip/hipster scene, but the patio in the back is more casual and relaxed for those of us who have seen our hipster days come and go! I would definitely return and recommend 44 1/2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatRickVIPDined on 8/28/2014I try to visit 44 1/2 every time I go to Manhattan. The food, the service, and the outdoor patio make it one of my favorites in NYC.Special Features:
- Great patio and good food!miner531Dined on 8/28/2014Pleasantly surprised by spot in hells kitchen not too far from the theatre district. The street (10 Av.) near this location isn't hip or attractive by any means, so this gem definitely stands out as a place to check out. The bar inside is very stylish although seems a little cramped, but the outside patio great. Tall brick walls enclose the patio then more red brick buildings surround the area filled with plant life and a cool style. Menu had good options, but it seemed a lottle geared towards the feminine with the pink "Divas" menu and wait staff wearing the same colored t-shirts. That said the food tasted good and when my friends steak was overcooked they promptly replaced it. I would definitely return but not was a bunch of dudesSpecial Features:
- Not a bad placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014I would recommend this place for a couple rather than a group. The ambience was geared more for romance than any other occasion. They have a beautiful garden backyard but the view is limited as it does not overlook any streets since it is in the back of the restaurant. The food however was very good, I enjoyed every dish I had and would go back just to try more. The let down with this restaurant was they did not make any special arrangements for my birthday when I specifically indicated on the reservation that it was a 25th birthday. As well, the service was mediocre even though it was not busy at all, would have expected more attention from the servers.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Cap819Dined on 8/22/2014Great ambiance, fun and unusual drinks. All of our food was delicious and service was great. Thank you, 44 1/2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.