108 King Street
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://43north.biz/
- Phone: (608) 255-4343
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Dale Bartnick 6082554343
- Special Events: Restaurant is available for private functions. Please call for details. 608-255-4343 Daniel Momont
- Cross Street: E. Main St. at S Webster St
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking for patrons (after 5:00 pm and for Sunday Brunch) at the Tenney Plaza Parking Ramp located on the corner of E Main and S Webster Streets across from the back of the restaurant. In addition, street parking available.
A word from 43 North
Modern Bistro. Located one block off the Capital Square. Walking distance to Monona Terrace Convention Center, downtown theater district and University of Wisconsin campus area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
43 North - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
43 North reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (5)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Quite Enjoyable Dining ExperienceFoodfun74Dined on 11/7/2014First I would like to say that the appetizer special was a complete "miss". Labeled "Lamb Tongue Crostini".... It was cold, sliced lambs tongue on pita chips with s bit of olive tapenade. Very unappetizing. "Road kill & Crackers!" However... The dining experience improved greatly from there. The lobster bisque was silky smooth, quite flavorful with chunks of lobster. My game hen was very moist and very flavorful perfect serving size it was a very tasty dish. My partner had the Wagyu beef which was cooked perfectly. Our waiter did a good job but he really needs to lighten up and smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014They have great options for small or large portion options on the dinner menu, and the food and cocktails were delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantLucyeatsDined on 10/24/2014Menu is innovative and includes both small and large plates. Service is attentive but not overbearing. Food is delicious especially the grilled Cesar salad and the scallops. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerSusieqDined on 10/11/2014I was fearful that the long row of diners would be noisy but it was pretty quiet. The food was good and it was great to have the option of small plates. None of us ordered dessert, but we were each given a small, wrapped piece of coffee cake. It was maybe 3 bites but just a perfect ending if one wanted something sweet but didn't want a heavy dessert. It was such a small gesture, but it delighted all four of us. Additionally, I believe I requested a quiet spot on my reservation (at least I usually do) and we were put at the table that had diners only on one side of us rather than both. So I appreciated that.Special Features:
- Superb.gbsparksDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I arrived after five. I ordered what turned out to be a perfect Death’s Door gin and tonic (easier said than done) and she liked the Pinot. We were seated when we were ready and, by the way, the service was excellent throughout our dinner. The Cafe Continental's metal-topped bar was still in use. Lobster bisque with marshmallows, grilled Caesar salad without the poached egg; Waygu steak and the quite large scallops with shiitake mushrooms and spinach. Dessert: almond panna cotta and the torte. It was all, let me think of the appropriate description, wonderful. 43 North is spendy but the food, drinks and service on a fall Saturday evening were superb. My advice, after all the other good stuff, try the panna cotta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014We all had the Cassoulet which was very thick almost solid with lamb meat only. The Cassoulet toulouse is usually a juicy stew with duck, sausage and even chicken. Next time we have to try something else. Regards, IvanSpecial Features:
- Quite GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I ate at 43 North during a recent visit to Madison, and we were overall quite pleased. The cheeses we started with were a highlight of the meal, although we were disappointed that only two of the four varieties we wanted to try were available that evening. My wife's game hen was well seasoned, although she wasn't a fan of the accompanying sauce, my wagyu steak was perfectly cooked, if a touch tougher than expected, and the almond panna cotta was a nice clean finish to our meal. Overall, we were very happy with our meal, though not blown away.Special Features:
- Great experience!JMNEDined on 9/30/2014Our entire experience at 43 North was superb! Impeccable service, food done to perfection, even for a foodie, beautifully presented. I think this place is a well kept secret in Madison. Doesn't get much press or buzz and is so worthy of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for any dateKateDined on 9/22/2014I've been to 43 North twice now for their prix fixe wine tasting menu. Their pairing choices are excellent and I have thoroughly enjoyed each course. The berry pavlova is absolutely divine and I would highly recommend it. The duck confit was good but I would HIGHLY recommend any seafood dish, as I've had 4 different seafood based dishes and none of them disappointed. Specifically, the salmon and the scallops were cooked to utter perfection. The service is also excellent. Even though I have gone near closing time, I did not feel rushed at all. In fact, they were more than accommodating when my reservation had to be pushed back. Overall, my experiences here have been delightful and I look forward to many more.Special Features:
- Great al fresco pre-symphony dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We went for dinner before a symphony concert at Overture. We were able to get a table outside early on a lovely Friday evening. We focused on several small plates and enjoyed everything we had: beet salad, baccala, mussels, stuffed dates. Everything was tasty and interesting. Our server responded to our need to finish at a certain time for the performance with friendly and accommodating efficiency. Looking up the street, it was great to see that the sidewalk was full of people enjoying eating outside. Capital Square was wonderfully busy. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good price. !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I would certainly recommend. We went here before seeing a show at the Overture, and the wait staff was prompt and curtious. Food was excellent and the complimentery after dinner coffee cake was excellent.Special Features:
- Creative menu; gluten free optionsLouizeDined on 9/12/2014Ambiance: 43 North is just off Capitol Square and was still busy when we arrived at around 8:00 on a Friday evening. We sat across from the open kitchen, and I enjoyed watching the crew work--they seemed to get on well together. The experience had a more urban feel than many evenings out in Madison. Menu: Options were varied, creative, available in small or large plates, and included many items that were or could be made gluten free. It would be nice to have a menu marked up with gf info. Food: Over all, yummy. Hits: dates with cheese and hazelnut pesto; polenta; perfectly cooked salmon; a fresh cup of French press decaf. Misses: fried Caesar salad (cooking brought out the bitterness in the romaine); the sauces on pork ribs and salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticsunprairiemomDined on 9/6/2014We just went for my birthday. They had reserved a table by the window. The waiter was amazing and the food was unique and delicious. I told the waiter we loved the restaurant and he said, "We're the best kept secret in Madison." It was right off the square on King St. Not to be confused with Martin Luther "King" St. We'll be back.Special Features:
- DisappointingLBEspieDined on 8/29/2014Expecting this place to impress us and we're let down with lamb that was as dried out as a shoe and a waiter who never returned to our table after serving it. We had to flag down a nearby waitress twice during the course of our meal for assistance. (Our waiter was also SLOW!!) The other 3 dishes were done well, we were just very disappointed over all given the service and food quality we receive at his other 2 restaurants. However, the bartender was friendly and even stopped over at our table to share a laugh and a quick story. Great hire!
- DisappointedSuchacriticDined on 8/29/2014Finally made it to 43 North with high expectations. The ambiance and presentation delivered, but the food missed the mark. They delivered beautiful plates but the execution wasn't there. A poached egg barely held together and liquefied when cut into. The beans in the cassoulet were underdone and hard, while the lamb in the dish was overcooked and dry. The game hen too was overcooked. In general, the dishes had flavor and potential, but nothing was really cooked properly except the date appetizer. I liked the concept a lot, with small and large portion options for the entrees. It is probably worth another try in hopes the crew was just having an off night.
- Excellant foodJules0826Dined on 8/29/2014We have been there several times always good wine, apps, food, never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous Pours for Wine DinnerReg1Dined on 8/25/2014We went to 43 North on a Monday, when they have fixed course/price wine dinners. It was a delicious meal with wonderful wine pairings. Please note that the wine pours are very generous - we couldn't finish our last glass of wine as we were quite tipsy! The servers were outstanding, and really helped create a wonderful atmosphere for our outing. Oh, and did I mention it was only $40? An incredible value for such good eating/drinking. You also could buy the bottles of wine at normal prices (no restaurant mark-up).Special Features:
- three for threeBusterDined on 8/16/2014I have hosted dinners at 43 North on 3 occasions. Outstanding each time!
- Not as great as normallyKarenCDined on 8/1/2014We normally LOVE this place, but this time it was a little disappointing. Our game hen was slightly over done and they have changed many of the menu items we really loved. It was also noticeably smaller. We will definitely be back, but a little saddened by the changes. Also, our waiter wasn't as attentive as the usual waiters at this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 449 reviews are from the 43 North reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Good food and great presentation. Interesting combinations without being over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or misseatingfor2Dined on 7/21/2014Food was hit or miss. Went for restaurant week and some of the items I was not as excited about on the menu truly exceeded my expectations. Ratatouille tarlet was amazing as was the pork shoulder and the desserts. Was less crazy about the other items like the cucumber soup and curried gnocci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishyumyumyumDined on 7/21/2014What a great experience at 43 North. I love that it's small but not crowded. The food is absolutely delicious! I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week goldcspsueDined on 7/21/2014Tried 43 North for the first time during Restaurant Week and were not disappointed. The food and service were both excellent.Special Features:
- nice place for dinnerJulieDined on 7/20/2014Went for restaurant week. Was able to get last-minute reservation, perhaps because they are not normally open on Sundays. Food was very nice. I was happy that there were clear vegetarian choices on the prix fixe menu. The curried gnocchi was interesting, somewhat unusual. I wasn't totally bowled over by it, but it was nice to try something different. The passion fruit dessert was super tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Return!drecDined on 7/20/2014We dined during restaurant week and were not disappointed. The menu selections were varied to suit all tastes and preferences. The service was friendly and attentive without being too intrusive. The vibe was intimate in a neighborhoody sort of way. We will return!Special Features:
- Exceptional!LK8930Dined on 7/16/2014It is rare to have a dining experience where every component is exceptional, but that was the case when we dined at 43 North this week. We were headed downtown for another engagement on the same evening as Concerts on the Square. Battling the traffic was stressful and we were late for our reservation. When we arrived, we were welcomed warmly and promptly seated. The service was extremely attentive without being hovering. The food was outstanding in presentation, flavor, and creative composition. On top of all this, there were discounts for happy hour. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good Food, Prolonged WaitUnsurlyJDDined on 7/15/2014The ambiance was wonderful, and the staff were friendly and accommodating once they got to our table. The baguette, butter, & jam appetizer was warm and delicious. The fingerling potato salad (special) and Brussels Sprout salad were good as well. I had the Cassoulet entrée and though the portion size was generous, I did not really care for it. I ultimately finished my wife's Wagyu Steak which was (in my opinion) expertly prepared quite tasty. Our dining companion raved about the Scallop entrée. Our only complaint for the evening was the slow turnaround on the food. The restaurant did not appear particularly busy so we were at a loss as to why each course besides the baguette took so long to arrive. Aside from that, our experience was good.Special Features:
- Wine Tasting Monday...delightful!1RidleyVIPDined on 7/14/2014Our first visit to this restaurant (as visitors to Madison from Ontario, Canada) was highlighted by the special "Monday Night Tasting/Wine menu' offering. We approached the evening with anticipation, but our expectations were exceeded on all measures. Appealing food offerings, well presented and served, wine pairings were all very interesting (particularly for those of us who prefer reds to whites). Informative, elegantly informal and overall, the best dining experience of my stay this year. Will anticipate returning for a similar experience in 2015!Special Features:
- Yummy, yummy, yummyAronBaconDined on 7/11/2014We'd heard of this restaurant for some time and just hadn't made it down there. We got a day of reservation for Friday night. Read up on the reviews so we knew to try the dates and the game hen. Which we did. Dates were super delicious - the green herbed puree (was it spinach or pesto, can't remember) and toasted hazelnuts were a great match. We also had the baccala - which were also pretty tasty, but ultimately the least exciting of our selections. We then had the grilled caesar salad, which was very cool and seemed never ending. A great twist on caesar. Lastly, we had the smaller portion game hen. All I can say is the flavor combos were perfect - with the honey mustard really making the dish, simply enough. Cocktails and wine were great 2Special Features:
- Always enjoy this restaurant.BEM1VIPDined on 7/10/2014Dinner spoiled by group with very loud voices and crying babyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and interesting menuImperiousDined on 7/5/2014I would highly recommend doing small plates so you can try as many things as possible. The small plates are not really that small, either (they are about the full entree size you would normally encounter at a nice restaurant). The stuffed dates, scallops, game hen, and the bread were all exceptional. The poutine had mixed reviews regarding the goat cheese curds, but was still a unique and worthwhile dish. For the quality and quantity of food, the price was well below what I would typically anticipate paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for foodiesmadisonVIPDined on 6/24/2014We are regular customers of 43 North and are delighted with their service and their menu. They offer both small and large plates for almost every course which really makes it both reasonable in terms of price and quantity of food. We particularly like the steak, scallops and hen on the main entree list. The wine list is extensive and they also bring in special wines for the evening. Only once did I order something that I ended up not liking, not because of its preparation, but because I had forgotten that I did not like this particular fish. Without my asking, they removed it and let me order something else without charging me. Exceptional.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningMikeVIPDined on 6/23/2014The special four course meal with wine selections were wonderful. Food was excellent and the wine was very good. The wine server was a wine distributor and knew alot about wines and was very friendly and helpful. Wait staff took time to explain the food and wine selections. Took home two of the wine selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 43=100% PerfectFlatlanderDined on 6/14/2014We were seated immediately upon arriving. Our waiter was friendly and attentive to our needs and explained the menu thoroughly. We ordered 2 starters, roasted dates, wonderful, and a charcuterie plate, even better. Our Caesar salads were served on small plates accompanied with a poached egg, excellent. 2 of us had snapper, green beans over rice on large plates. I had the salmon, Yukon gold potatoes on a dill cream on a large plate. The entrees were so good, we wanted to lick the plates.Special Features:
- Friday DinnerdrivebyDined on 5/30/2014We chose the "small plates", sort of like "tapas". 4 out of 5 were very tasty and well presented. The steak looked good but was tough. Their wine special was unremarkable, and not as good as their cheaper cabernet. On the other hand, their mixed drink was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love 43 NorthOliveOylDined on 5/30/2014Six of us (3 foodies in the biz) have eaten here twice during our annual Madison trip. We're a lively group, but tip well. Both times we opted for almost all of the small plates to share. I hate scallops, but everyone who had them raved about them. One of our party even ordered a large plate just for himself. The only disappointment was the lamb cassoulet; it was dry and overcooked. Lobster bisque, amazing. Ditto the beet salad, the roasted dates, the Wagyu steak and the game hen. Last May, we had the marinated olives and were truly astounded. We ordered them again, but they just weren't as good this time. Our servers (last time, Paul, this time Rachel -- I think) were good natured and attentive. 43 North is officially on our May trip list.Special Features:
- Outstanding!madisonVIPDined on 5/23/2014We eat here regularly as it offers outstanding meals with both small plate and larger plate options on every entree. Among the top restaurants in Madison-- L'Etoile, Nostrano, Fresco, Harvest, etc--this remains one of our favorites. The wait staff is attentive and cheerful, and we have never been disappointed in a meal. The hen, steak, scallops, and salmon are four of our favorites. The wine list is varied and they always have additional wine options brought in by a Wisconsin distributor. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special eventBarbisrunningVIPDined on 5/16/2014We were there for a graduation dinner and they only were serving a price fixed 3 course meal. The food was arranged beautiful and was delicious, though the portions small and prices expensive. They were friendly and gracious with their service. Maybe the prices were so high because it was graduation weekend, but doubtful we'd go there for anything but a very special occasion with those prices.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyable experience!!live2eatDined on 5/15/2014I truly enjoy the food here. Everything I have tried is full flavored and beautifully presented. The stuffed dates and lobster bisque are outstanding (the tarragon 'marshmallows' are such a great touch). The game hen is deliciously seasoned and presented on gnocchi pillows and a wide variety of mushrooms. The salmon was also delectable. The service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit to tastesupstar9Dined on 5/13/2014Loved everything from the wine selection to small plates available for just about the whole menu and the happy hour pricing off all food and beverage. Not a miss among our food choices either - loved the salmon tartare, snapper and Brussels sprout salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.