108 King Street
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://43north.biz/
- Phone: 6082554343
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Dale Bartnick 6082554343
- Special Events: Restaurant is available for private functions. Please call for details. 608-255-4343 Daniel Momont
- Cross Street: E. Main St. at S Webster St
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated parking for patrons (after 5:00 pm and for Sunday Brunch) at the Tenney Plaza Parking Ramp located on the corner of E Main and S Webster Streets across from the back of the restaurant. In addition, street parking available.
A word from 43 North
Modern Bistro. Located one block off the Capital Square. Walking distance to Monona Terrace Convention Center, downtown theater district and University of Wisconsin campus area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
43 North - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
43 North reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)romantic (23)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (10)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food, good price. !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I would certainly recommend. We went here before seeing a show at the Overture, and the wait staff was prompt and curtious. Food was excellent and the complimentery after dinner coffee cake was excellent.Special Features:
- Creative menu; gluten free optionsLouizeDined on 9/12/2014Ambiance: 43 North is just off Capitol Square and was still busy when we arrived at around 8:00 on a Friday evening. We sat across from the open kitchen, and I enjoyed watching the crew work--they seemed to get on well together. The experience had a more urban feel than many evenings out in Madison. Menu: Options were varied, creative, available in small or large plates, and included many items that were or could be made gluten free. It would be nice to have a menu marked up with gf info. Food: Over all, yummy. Hits: dates with cheese and hazelnut pesto; polenta; perfectly cooked salmon; a fresh cup of French press decaf. Misses: fried Caesar salad (cooking brought out the bitterness in the romaine); the sauces on pork ribs and salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticsunprairiemomDined on 9/6/2014We just went for my birthday. They had reserved a table by the window. The waiter was amazing and the food was unique and delicious. I told the waiter we loved the restaurant and he said, "We're the best kept secret in Madison." It was right off the square on King St. Not to be confused with Martin Luther "King" St. We'll be back.Special Features:
- DisappointingLBEspieDined on 8/29/2014Expecting this place to impress us and we're let down with lamb that was as dried out as a shoe and a waiter who never returned to our table after serving it. We had to flag down a nearby waitress twice during the course of our meal for assistance. (Our waiter was also SLOW!!) The other 3 dishes were done well, we were just very disappointed over all given the service and food quality we receive at his other 2 restaurants. However, the bartender was friendly and even stopped over at our table to share a laugh and a quick story. Great hire!
- DisappointedSuchacriticDined on 8/29/2014Finally made it to 43 North with high expectations. The ambiance and presentation delivered, but the food missed the mark. They delivered beautiful plates but the execution wasn't there. A poached egg barely held together and liquefied when cut into. The beans in the cassoulet were underdone and hard, while the lamb in the dish was overcooked and dry. The game hen too was overcooked. In general, the dishes had flavor and potential, but nothing was really cooked properly except the date appetizer. I liked the concept a lot, with small and large portion options for the entrees. It is probably worth another try in hopes the crew was just having an off night.
- Excellant foodJules0826Dined on 8/29/2014We have been there several times always good wine, apps, food, never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous Pours for Wine DinnerReg1Dined on 8/25/2014We went to 43 North on a Monday, when they have fixed course/price wine dinners. It was a delicious meal with wonderful wine pairings. Please note that the wine pours are very generous - we couldn't finish our last glass of wine as we were quite tipsy! The servers were outstanding, and really helped create a wonderful atmosphere for our outing. Oh, and did I mention it was only $40? An incredible value for such good eating/drinking. You also could buy the bottles of wine at normal prices (no restaurant mark-up).Special Features:
- three for threeBusterDined on 8/16/2014I have hosted dinners at 43 North on 3 occasions. Outstanding each time!
- Not as great as normallyKarenCDined on 8/1/2014We normally LOVE this place, but this time it was a little disappointing. Our game hen was slightly over done and they have changed many of the menu items we really loved. It was also noticeably smaller. We will definitely be back, but a little saddened by the changes. Also, our waiter wasn't as attentive as the usual waiters at this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Good food and great presentation. Interesting combinations without being over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or misseatingfor2Dined on 7/21/2014Food was hit or miss. Went for restaurant week and some of the items I was not as excited about on the menu truly exceeded my expectations. Ratatouille tarlet was amazing as was the pork shoulder and the desserts. Was less crazy about the other items like the cucumber soup and curried gnocci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishyumyumyumDined on 7/21/2014What a great experience at 43 North. I love that it's small but not crowded. The food is absolutely delicious! I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week goldcspsueDined on 7/21/2014Tried 43 North for the first time during Restaurant Week and were not disappointed. The food and service were both excellent.Special Features:
- nice place for dinnerJulieDined on 7/20/2014Went for restaurant week. Was able to get last-minute reservation, perhaps because they are not normally open on Sundays. Food was very nice. I was happy that there were clear vegetarian choices on the prix fixe menu. The curried gnocchi was interesting, somewhat unusual. I wasn't totally bowled over by it, but it was nice to try something different. The passion fruit dessert was super tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Return!drecDined on 7/20/2014We dined during restaurant week and were not disappointed. The menu selections were varied to suit all tastes and preferences. The service was friendly and attentive without being too intrusive. The vibe was intimate in a neighborhoody sort of way. We will return!Special Features:
- Exceptional!LK8930Dined on 7/16/2014It is rare to have a dining experience where every component is exceptional, but that was the case when we dined at 43 North this week. We were headed downtown for another engagement on the same evening as Concerts on the Square. Battling the traffic was stressful and we were late for our reservation. When we arrived, we were welcomed warmly and promptly seated. The service was extremely attentive without being hovering. The food was outstanding in presentation, flavor, and creative composition. On top of all this, there were discounts for happy hour. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good Food, Prolonged WaitUnsurlyJDDined on 7/15/2014The ambiance was wonderful, and the staff were friendly and accommodating once they got to our table. The baguette, butter, & jam appetizer was warm and delicious. The fingerling potato salad (special) and Brussels Sprout salad were good as well. I had the Cassoulet entrée and though the portion size was generous, I did not really care for it. I ultimately finished my wife's Wagyu Steak which was (in my opinion) expertly prepared quite tasty. Our dining companion raved about the Scallop entrée. Our only complaint for the evening was the slow turnaround on the food. The restaurant did not appear particularly busy so we were at a loss as to why each course besides the baguette took so long to arrive. Aside from that, our experience was good.Special Features:
- Wine Tasting Monday...delightful!1RidleyDined on 7/14/2014Our first visit to this restaurant (as visitors to Madison from Ontario, Canada) was highlighted by the special "Monday Night Tasting/Wine menu' offering. We approached the evening with anticipation, but our expectations were exceeded on all measures. Appealing food offerings, well presented and served, wine pairings were all very interesting (particularly for those of us who prefer reds to whites). Informative, elegantly informal and overall, the best dining experience of my stay this year. Will anticipate returning for a similar experience in 2015!Special Features:
- Yummy, yummy, yummyAronBaconDined on 7/11/2014We'd heard of this restaurant for some time and just hadn't made it down there. We got a day of reservation for Friday night. Read up on the reviews so we knew to try the dates and the game hen. Which we did. Dates were super delicious - the green herbed puree (was it spinach or pesto, can't remember) and toasted hazelnuts were a great match. We also had the baccala - which were also pretty tasty, but ultimately the least exciting of our selections. We then had the grilled caesar salad, which was very cool and seemed never ending. A great twist on caesar. Lastly, we had the smaller portion game hen. All I can say is the flavor combos were perfect - with the honey mustard really making the dish, simply enough. Cocktails and wine were great 2Special Features:
- Always enjoy this restaurant.BEM1VIPDined on 7/10/2014Dinner spoiled by group with very loud voices and crying babyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and interesting menuImperiousDined on 7/5/2014I would highly recommend doing small plates so you can try as many things as possible. The small plates are not really that small, either (they are about the full entree size you would normally encounter at a nice restaurant). The stuffed dates, scallops, game hen, and the bread were all exceptional. The poutine had mixed reviews regarding the goat cheese curds, but was still a unique and worthwhile dish. For the quality and quantity of food, the price was well below what I would typically anticipate paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for foodiesmadisonVIPDined on 6/24/2014We are regular customers of 43 North and are delighted with their service and their menu. They offer both small and large plates for almost every course which really makes it both reasonable in terms of price and quantity of food. We particularly like the steak, scallops and hen on the main entree list. The wine list is extensive and they also bring in special wines for the evening. Only once did I order something that I ended up not liking, not because of its preparation, but because I had forgotten that I did not like this particular fish. Without my asking, they removed it and let me order something else without charging me. Exceptional.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningMikeVIPDined on 6/23/2014The special four course meal with wine selections were wonderful. Food was excellent and the wine was very good. The wine server was a wine distributor and knew alot about wines and was very friendly and helpful. Wait staff took time to explain the food and wine selections. Took home two of the wine selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 43=100% PerfectFlatlanderDined on 6/14/2014We were seated immediately upon arriving. Our waiter was friendly and attentive to our needs and explained the menu thoroughly. We ordered 2 starters, roasted dates, wonderful, and a charcuterie plate, even better. Our Caesar salads were served on small plates accompanied with a poached egg, excellent. 2 of us had snapper, green beans over rice on large plates. I had the salmon, Yukon gold potatoes on a dill cream on a large plate. The entrees were so good, we wanted to lick the plates.Special Features:
- Friday DinnerdrivebyDined on 5/30/2014We chose the "small plates", sort of like "tapas". 4 out of 5 were very tasty and well presented. The steak looked good but was tough. Their wine special was unremarkable, and not as good as their cheaper cabernet. On the other hand, their mixed drink was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love 43 NorthOliveOylDined on 5/30/2014Six of us (3 foodies in the biz) have eaten here twice during our annual Madison trip. We're a lively group, but tip well. Both times we opted for almost all of the small plates to share. I hate scallops, but everyone who had them raved about them. One of our party even ordered a large plate just for himself. The only disappointment was the lamb cassoulet; it was dry and overcooked. Lobster bisque, amazing. Ditto the beet salad, the roasted dates, the Wagyu steak and the game hen. Last May, we had the marinated olives and were truly astounded. We ordered them again, but they just weren't as good this time. Our servers (last time, Paul, this time Rachel -- I think) were good natured and attentive. 43 North is officially on our May trip list.Special Features:
- Outstanding!madisonVIPDined on 5/23/2014We eat here regularly as it offers outstanding meals with both small plate and larger plate options on every entree. Among the top restaurants in Madison-- L'Etoile, Nostrano, Fresco, Harvest, etc--this remains one of our favorites. The wait staff is attentive and cheerful, and we have never been disappointed in a meal. The hen, steak, scallops, and salmon are four of our favorites. The wine list is varied and they always have additional wine options brought in by a Wisconsin distributor. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 431 reviews are from the 43 North reviews archive.
- special eventBarbisrunningDined on 5/16/2014We were there for a graduation dinner and they only were serving a price fixed 3 course meal. The food was arranged beautiful and was delicious, though the portions small and prices expensive. They were friendly and gracious with their service. Maybe the prices were so high because it was graduation weekend, but doubtful we'd go there for anything but a very special occasion with those prices.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyable experience!!live2eatDined on 5/15/2014I truly enjoy the food here. Everything I have tried is full flavored and beautifully presented. The stuffed dates and lobster bisque are outstanding (the tarragon 'marshmallows' are such a great touch). The game hen is deliciously seasoned and presented on gnocchi pillows and a wide variety of mushrooms. The salmon was also delectable. The service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit to tastesupstar9Dined on 5/13/2014Loved everything from the wine selection to small plates available for just about the whole menu and the happy hour pricing off all food and beverage. Not a miss among our food choices either - loved the salmon tartare, snapper and Brussels sprout salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/9/2014wow - innovative cuisine at affordable prices. these restaurateurs really care about what they are cooking, the quality of the ingredients and consumer satisfaction. why haven't more folks discovered this gem around the corner from the Capitol?Special Features:
- Unique food, dour wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Enjoyed the food very much. Right portions. The wait staff could have been a little more cordial.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLvgdfoodDined on 4/29/2014The food was excellent, portions were well worth the money. We did the happy hour special (30% off the entire bill tues to thur). Tried various entrees (half portions) and we were very happy with our meals. Presentation and taste were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine tastingaegisysDined on 4/28/2014Went for a monday wine tasting. Food was really good, wine pairings were nice. Great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014Great food. Love having the option of a small/large plate for salads and entrees.Special Features:
- Kinda flatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014I have eaten here numerous times and really thought they had hit their stride. We were sat in the smaller back room which has all the ambience of a closet. What really made the experience meh was our server. He very obviously did not want to there and seemed angry about something which made our experience less than great. The food was fine, nothing remarkable. I know. We will return, but it will be a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parents Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at 43 North. The cocktail menu is great. We also loved the dates on the appetizer menu. All in all a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeBubbaDined on 4/19/2014Tried it for the second time Good food and servive. Smaller plates are greatSpecial Features:
- 43 NorthBandManDined on 4/19/2014As always, our dinner at 43 North was awesome. The menu had changed and we tried some new selections which were fabulous. My wife and I love the small plate option as we can share and try more selections from the menu! The "Pork Poutine" with the goat cheese curds was my favorite of the night! The staff at this place is great too. Friendly and genuine, and always seem to be around just when you need them. Not pesty or obnoxious or constantly in your face like some places we have experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal in MadisonmkebusinessdinerDined on 4/12/2014Selected 43North for dinner in Madison during Midwest Horse Fair. Menu looked very interesting and really liked the fact that most entrees were available in a small plate portion. The food was excellent and creative, especially the date and goat cheese appetizer, the lamb and the house made somores for dessert. Interesting and well priced wines by the glass. Some nice French reds in particular. Waiter was very professional and servcie was polite and timely, but would have been better if the waiter had been a little more engaging. Will return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.