1 Renaissance Square
White Plains, NY 10601Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.42therestaurant.com/
- Phone: (914) 761-4242
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY - Closed - Open for Private Events
TUESDAY - THURSDAY - 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM
FRIDAY & SATURDAY - 4:30 PM to 11:00 PM - Bar open until 1:00 AM
SUNDAY - Closed - Open for Private Events
Closed August 24th -September 8th (Open for Private Events only) Reopen September 9th for regular a la carte service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Portuguese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Anthony Goncalves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Host your next event at 42 The Restaurant to guarantee your guests the most exceptional combination of cuisine by Chef Anthony Goncalves, impeccable service and beautiful venue settings. The one-of-a-kind tri-state area views. Amaze your guests as they celebrate your special occasion such as a wedding ceremony, wedding reception, after-party, Bar or Bat Mitzvah, engagement, anniversary, birthday and more. Please contact us and ask for our Events Team.
- Special Events: 42 The Restaurant offers special event dinners for Hudson Valley Restaurant Weeks in the spring and fall, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, New Year's Eve, seasonal Sunday Brunches, and more. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: MTA Location
16 Ferris Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601
(22.3 miles to Grand Central Terminal)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available from The Ritz-Carlton Westchester.
On-street metered parking, discounted rate and municipal parking lots also available.
A word from 42
Contemporary-casual and award-winning restaurant with Iberian New American cuisine and Tapas by Chef Anthony Goncalves located high atop the Ritz-Carlton, Westchester. A stunning setting, creative menu, and exquisite service make for an unforgettable dining experience. An Open Table award winner for Best View and Most Romantic.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
42 reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (92)special occasion (84)fit for foodies (67)romantic (65)hot spot (37)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (33)notable wine list (30)good for groups (26)late-night find (10)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Excellent!DominoDined on 11/15/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time during restaurant week. Very attentive service, wonderful view! Will definitely be back to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIked the Ambiance but the food was questionable.ShannDined on 11/15/2014I ordered the Monkfish, which was suggested by the waiter as being a delicious meal; however it was not good at all and lacked flavor. The waiter was nice enough to let me switch my meal to the short rib. THe short rib was much better; however it also lacked flavor, I had to pile on the salt and pepper. The food was not impressive to me at all which I would not expect from such a fancy establishment.Special Features:
- Exquisite...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Went there for restaurant week and left there very satisfied. Beat the crowds by dining a lot later in the evening but still received the best service. Dessert was magnificent and complements to the pastry Chef Lourdes. You are the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great goodPeteDined on 11/14/2014Great food and the view can't be touched in Westchester. . Highly recommended for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- changes are comingLizBethDined on 11/13/2014We went to the restaurant 30 minutes prior to our reservation for a drink and we were sadden when we discovered the bar was closed...you'd think the person that called me that afternoon to confirm the reservation would've mentioned that small detail. It appears 42 is undergoing some MAJOR changes. The main floor and upper level are becoming "private event" space, so the bar was closed and main floor was empty...looked like a ghost town, not a trendy restaurant. We were seated right away due to the fact we had 30 minutes to kill. When I made the reservation through OpenTable, I requested a window table as it was my friend's first time at 42 and we were sat in a corner... NO VIEW, NO light... we were in darkness!!! It was so dark due to the lack of lighting, we need to use our iPhones to read the extreme tiny piece of paper the menu was printed on. The food was good... better than it has been in years...however it was lacking flare... the food was nothing special. Change is good, 42 is changing and from the sounds of it, for the worse... in the end the restaurant will be jammed into the existing bar space (seating for 30) and the bar will no longer be, space for 11... GOOD LUCK!Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/12/2014This was our fourth visit. Appetizers, Mains,and Desserts were excellent - delicious and beautifully presented. I was amazed at how good the short ribs were. Service was attentive; not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingPaulDined on 11/12/2014We had heard about 42 for years. We went during Restaurant Week and I'm glad we did. They gave a lot of selections. I wouldn't have wanted to waste money ordering from the regular menu. My wife had a good steak. I had short ribs which were average.. I ordered a bottle of wine to enjoy the dinner. Service is poor. They don't bring bread, butter or oil. They do t even bring condiments. Water is not refilled. The place has great views and would be nice for drinks and snacks but eat somewhere else.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014it was very foggy, so we had no view. very disappointed that there is no more bar. menu did not wow me, just ok. thought the service would be better, server walked by several times without asking if we wanted another cocktail. place is overrated.Special Features:
- TerribleOutallthetimeVIPDined on 11/11/2014Went November 11, 2014. I watched as the waiter put bread on everyone's table but mine, they served beef without a steak knife, had to ask several times for water. After dinner they served cappuccino while we waited 20 minutes for dessert. I did complain to the manager who could only apologize. The staff are dressed with their bellies sticking out and one waitress must of come to visit and brought her young child. When the bill arrived do you think they would have comped the one glass of wine??? No!! Instead they brought the wrong bill and the argued about voiding it and said they would just do an adjustment. The manager said he would be in touch but.......still waiting.....oh yes, the next day my card was charged over $500.00!!!
- A great value for Restaurant week!DebQuinDined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed the lovely ambiance and of course the view that 42 is so famaous for. The food was first rate and was not a lower grade or less than what you would normally get when dining there however I will mention that if you do order a prime rib there is in tiny writing below the entree that there is an additional charge of $29.00 which is very small and hard to see. I was disappointed by that move and felt that the waiter should have mentioned it to us when ordering. Other than that it is a first class restaurant and does not disappoint in the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for restaurant week :vanggDined on 11/11/2014nice selection of food, served timely and unhurried, correctly temperatured and with friendly knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food with a view to match!tripletmomVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had a wonderful evening. Great food, great views, great service!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemMiaFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014nice romantic spot, enjoyed cocktails, did not get to experience the view as it was late.Special Features:
- Great DinnerNickDined on 11/8/2014We decided to go to 42 for Restaurant Week and had an amazing time. The food and service were excellent. I hadn't been there in some time but was not disappointed. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- disappointing and confusinglocalresidentDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant was difficult to navigate despite numerous attempts to get directions. The hotel charges diners for valet parking and there was no one in the lobby directing people to the elevator. The service and food were mediocre and there was an up charge for most of the more desirable dishes. We went for restaurant week to sample the food. Too bad what we ordered was not outstanding. Moreover, the wine steward has his backside to our table for about 15 minutes while he was talking to the couple at the next table. How inconsiderate!Special Features:
- A gem in the sky lineEusian2012Dined on 11/7/2014We have been in the 42 twice already. On our first visit, we were seated in the middle of the dining room, the ceilings are high, and we were impressed with the food , not the view since it was a Rainy day. It could also be noisy. On our 2nd visit, we were seated in the mezzanine, with the magnificent view of downtown white plains at night. Decor is gorgeous!! It was restaurant week, so the menu is limited. And although, the food is very good and the portions are just right. The best part of my meal was the apple pie with ice cream.... It was heaven! I waited very long for the dessert but it's really worth it. Service is okay, they were busy on Friday night. Overall, wonderful experience, food, and decor!Special Features:
- Not worth going105OVIPDined on 11/7/2014Nothing was very good. Told to wait but no seats in the bar and dining room was half empty. Weak menu for restsurant week. Small portions of bland good. Salad was supposed to be local cheddar and apple - Never found them but still better than dey tasteless salmon main courses short rib snd monk fish both porrtions and not very good. Desert was ok. Wine was overpriced when they finally brought it. Not worth it even with restaurant week price.
- LeftoversOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014One of our waiters mixed up the food to go home. I ended up with someone else's at my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit upstairs for romanceAntgioVIPDined on 11/7/2014What a great experience. My review was based on sitting in the upstairs level. Quite romantic and quiet. Sat by window for an amazing view. Lower level was noisier and less romantic. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- A Good Value during Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I came here during restaurant week and ordered from the special $29.95 menu. The menu had a nice variety of appetizers and main courses. We both enjoyed all our courses and the elegant presentation. We left very impressed with 42 and agreed we would return for a special occasion. The only disappointment was the bread. For a restaurant of this caliber, one would expect quality bakery style portuguese or Italian bread instead of soft supermarket tasteless bread.Special Features:
- MemeDined on 11/7/2014Pretty restaurant with a great view. Food was very disappointing from appetizers, entrees to dessert. However drinks were good. Service was redundant. We would never go back except to have drinks at the bar.Special Features:
- 42 - Don't Go42ReviewDined on 11/7/2014The restaurant is beautiful, the view is great and the service was excellent, but the food left a lot to be desired. The main dishes came out cold and even after they were sent back, they only came out lukewarm.
- A room with a viewTheDonDined on 11/7/201442 offers good food and a spectacular view. All courses where better than expected. Overall a satisfying experience.Special Features:
- BusyDjy78Dined on 11/6/2014Restaurant week has been good to me and so I thought I'd try this restaurant as well. Having been there before on a date I expected speedy service and well prepared dishes, but it ended up being a long night of waiting for our dishes that were not quite top-of-the rocks. My dish was lukewarm and a little overcooked, and we waited 20 minutes for our desert. In the meantime we were offered desert wine and coffee/capuccino three times by two different waiters. Needless to say, it was not quite the experience I aimed for when I picked the place.Special Features:
- Dining in the skydineandwineDined on 11/6/2014Visited 42 during restaurant week and was surprised that we can only order from the restaurant week menu and not from their regular menu. We ordered as directed and found the food to be just o.k. 42 usually has a great menu with great dishes but I was a bit disappointed by the quality of what was offered as the plates were not we were used to . The monkfish was bland, the steak was chewy and my Bronzino was cold and on the dry side. The best part of the evening was the service and the drinks. Will visit again, but not during restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again during Restaurant WeekDobbsDinerVIPDined on 11/4/2014It felt hectic and the hostesses seemed overwhelmed. The service was fine but not as attentive as usual. The food was good and it does have a nice view. But there are so many places in Westchester with great food, this was not exceptional. Too many items on the menu had surcharges (the surcharge for the steak was more than the full menu..why include it?) The bread was HORRIBLE. IT was as if they just bought it from the supermarket..cold and hard and tasteless. With a fixed and limited menu it shouldn't have felt so out of control. I am in no rush to return which is too bad because we have had some lovely meals thereSpecial Features:
- HappyCouple14Dined on 11/1/2014The service was good, but not impressed with the "sophistication" of it. We were expecting a little more "wow" factor, but did not feel that. The food was good, but not great. We had the bread selection, some select cheeses, and the lamb chops and ribeye for main entree. The wine was delightful. Also, their attention to request for our anniversary was well received. We would recommend for a special occasion, but not for a frequent visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuthDined on 10/31/2014Lovely location great creative tapas selections. Attentive knowledgable wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before you could eat your food ..Kbg351VIPDined on 10/31/2014You'd have to find it!! I guess they keep it dark because of the night "view" .. Except there are just the lights of White Plains.. Probably ! a better view in the day time then you could see the surrounding landscape. I literally couldn't see the food on my plate! Nor my dining companions face.! The food was okay.. Nothing special..and 16$ glass of wine! Puh!leeze! Spend your money: see your food and companion, and eat downstairs at BLT!
- 42LikegreatfoodDined on 10/30/2014Food was very good. Service was outstanding. Great view for miles. We ate early 5-7 so I don't know how loud it is later, but it was wonderfully quiet while we were there. My only disappointment was the wine.Special Features:
- Simply amazingNiceDined on 10/25/2014I don not have one single complaint. The food was EXCELLENT, the service was very attentive and the view atop the Ritz Carlton was beautiful. Perfect romantic date spot. According to our waiter, the chef changes the menu every week, so I will use that as an excuse to visit this restaurant weekly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent Service, Modern Decor, Great Food and A Wonderful View. Reasonably Priced.Special Features:
- Awesome ExperienceteachoneDined on 10/18/2014Great ambiance with an excellent food selection. I would highly recommend this location for a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedmpmfloatnVIPDined on 10/14/2014Nothing special for the money. Ordered lamb chops. Was told could only order MEDIUM and up...4 small over cooked chops. Could only take advantage of happy hour if seated at bar as opposed to a table. Even had to pay for bread. We were there with a gift certificate. Would not return or recommend.Special Features:
- great night!SoccerDadDined on 10/11/2014Great place! Food was awesome. Would go back anytime and definitely would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014the noise was terrible the servers forgot about us because they were to busy tending to a party i was very upset with the dinner overall and it was for my boyfriends birthday so i was embarassed and the dinner was ruinedSpecial Features:
- FoodSupperThymeDined on 10/4/2014This was our third time at 42 over the last several years and each time was completely different in terms of food. The food is always outstanding as is the service. Yet, this recent visit we found the menu confusing - is it really tapas/ The "entree' that was suggested surely came out as a tapas portion, yet it wasn't. I feel a special occasion spot such as this should offer a tapas menu and a separate full menu. That would attract us to come back.Special Features:
- extremely dissapointingJakeDined on 9/27/2014Resembles upscale coffee shop. Food was good, not great. Service was fine however food comes out randomly so you are in and out of the place very quickly- not leisurely dining. Atmosphere and ambiance non existant although allegedly supposed to resemble Portuguese shipping dock??? Not worth the effort or the money. Considering affiliation with Ritz Carlton, I would have expected more elegance and ambiance - Entire party felt same.
- Great romantic spotInwoodFoodieDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I returned this year after fleeing a year ago due to loud DJ music and a bit of a scene. This year they seem to have sectioned off an area for those of us interested in more conversation-the food was terrific, the service was really, really awesome, and the wine was amazing. They could use a better beer list-nothing too interesting there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new White PlainsZingmamaDined on 9/27/2014Haven't dined in WP for years but this is spectacular. My husband was greeted with birthday wishes from every staff member (thx Open Table). All tables had a lovely view. From up high, WP is amazing. Wcould see forever--the Hudson and the early autumn hills. Cocktails,were inventive and divine. We chose tapas, starting with a delicious meat and cheese selection and moving through grilled octopus, a yummy fig and goat cheese sandwich, salmon, sirloin cubes, butternut squash and very yummy dessert complete with candle (no embarrassing singing to my husbands delight). We will definitely return for a special occasion. Only negative...the Warholesque mural of George Washington in the bar is disturbing on so many levels.Special Features: