Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center - Level 3
Detroit, MI 48243Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dineatdetroitmarriott.com/
- Phone: 3135688699
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 1:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Franz Josef Zimmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two private dining rooms are available for up to 14 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sales 3135688300
A word from 42º North
Is it the dramatic river view from forty-two degrees north that inspires your senses, or the mouth-watering creation on the plate in front of you? The setting is stylishly urban. The fare is American Midwest, classic yet contemporary, with a special emphasis on local and regionally-grown ingredients. And if the menu doesn’t touch your soul, the music certainly will.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
42º North reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unfortunately, I was not ableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/28/2012Unfortunately, I was not able to dine at this restaurant. There was no host present to greet me or check-in. After waiting and looking around for assistance, no one arrived and I was forced to fine another restaurant.
- Very unorganized for brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2012Very unorganized for brunch. Food was a bit bland. Omelette maker was good. The advertising suggested a high floor level on 42 floor but was in 3 rd floor. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- We arrived at 10:35 AM forOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/30/2011We arrived at 10:35 AM for breakfast buffet on a Friday with a 10:45 AM reservation. The hostess seated us immediately. We went to the buffet and noticed that it looked very picked over. There were only 2 cubes of cheese, some breads, salami and cold foods on the buffet. The omelet cook took 9 min to finish 2 eggs over medium, breaking both yolks and having to redo them. By the time I had my eggs back to the table, the waiter told us the buffet closes in 2 minutes. If they were closing 15 min. after our reservation, they should have told us when we came in and I don't think they should even offer that time to reserve. When we walked out, past the buffet, all the leftovers were still the tables, and it looked terrible. Never again.
- Very, Very disappointed inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2011Very, Very disappointed in the food! Very expensive for poor food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Love 42º NorthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2011Hubby and I love coming to 42º North. The ambiance is always friendly, warm and welcoming for couples and family's alike.
- I loved the veiw of the riverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/23/2011I loved the veiw of the river while dinning, the food was excellent. The Ambiance sets the mood to either mingle with other or your significant other, truly one of Detroit's added Gems.Special Features:
- This is going to be a brightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2011This is going to be a bright spot for Detroit supper clubs. The music and views were great. The manager Z. John was fabulous! The food needs some work (they ran out of the Prime Rib on 2nd night) but was priced well. Our table was excellent. We will come back and send others. Please don't let the attitude of the hostess dissuade you from having a good time. Parking is of course expensive but $40 covered the entertainment and a 3-course meal! We stayed for both sets and dancing was encouraged.Special Features:
- The food was superb, we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010The food was superb, we had the salmon and the steak. After finishing dinner i went outside and had a smoke after telling the waitress we wanted coffee and a dessert. (she didn't give us the option for coffee or dessert, she had the bill in hand after our entrees were pulled and looked disturbed when we wanted more....on new years eve!!) So as i said, i went outside for a smoke after ordering coffee and asked for a dessert menu. I came back after my cigarette 10 minutes later and still no dessert or COFFEE. in fact it took us 15 minutes after i got back to get coffee i didn't want to dessert anymore....
- Took my girl here for herOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2010Took my girl here for her 22nd birthday on 12/25/2010 she loved tha view... The selection of food is not that great but the its good though. Had a great time.Special Features:
- I was pleased with the ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2010I was pleased with the ambience and especially pleased with the food. We ordered the Christmas Plate Specials, and I must admit it was more than I could eat - although my friend ate all of his. I am a salt person, but did not even think of adding any seasoning. We would come back often it it weren't for the parking issue.Special Features:
- I had a big date night plannedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/10/2010I had a big date night planned out, traveled 45 minutes to get to the restaurant, to find out the menu changed into all bar food and no entrees... So it ruined our night... Were stuck with a $25 valet parking fee for a 10 minute visit to the RenCen... If they changed the menu, it should be shown on the website... VERY disappointed.Special Features:
- The view was awesome overlookingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2010The view was awesome overlooking the Detroit River and Windsor. The food was good and well priced. We just discovered 42o North and were disappointed to learn they are converting it to an event room - I f planing an event this would be fantastic as the food, service and atmosphere were very enjoyable.Special Features:
- I had quesadillas which wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2010I had quesadillas which were really good, with a salad that had slices of stake on top. I had to sent the salad back to have the stake cooked longer, but aside from that everything was good. It was a bit pricey, ($50) for lunch and I wished everything would've been cheaper, but I didn't complain much because it was my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- We were unhappy that the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2010We were unhappy that the wine ordered was temporarily out of stock. Also for the time of night (8pm) the lighting was rather bright so the view outside was hard to see. Additionally I ordered a NY strip medium, it came back cooked to the specifications you would expect of a well done steak. The server was rarely seen from and given that it was a weeknight and was not exceptionally crowded that was kind of surprising.Special Features:
- The food was good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2010The food was good, but the service has something to be desired. It wasn't poor service, just not what you expect at a high end restaurant. The servers were not pleasant or enthusiatic. It just seemed like this was a "job" and they could care less if you enjoyed being there or not. One server brought me a bowl of soup that must of been scrapped from the very bottom of the pot. It was not fit to be served (thick, gross and mushy as opposed to liquid). I asked for a replacement and what they brought back was what they should have given me the first time. Great view & environment otherwise.Special Features:
- Our waitress was pleasant,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2010Our waitress was pleasant, however she was not at all reliable. When we asked her to explain different dishes to us, she didn't know what the dish was or how it was prepared. I was never asked if I would like a refill on my drink or or if everything was satisfactory.
- This was the absloute, byOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010This was the absloute, by far, worst restaurant I have ever been to!! The food was awful, and expensive. The food was the quality of a microwave dinner, maybe worse! The staff seemed as though they had been plucked from other positions in the hotel, and that they weren't really waiters at all. It was our anniversary and I have never been so dissapointed. I actually wanted to tell people walking in to run for it, it was really that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Food was good and they wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010Food was good and they were willing to accomodate changes. View was great. Service was good and they didn't rush us.Special Features:
- Great view,atmosphere, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010Great view,atmosphere, and service. The food was just OK.Special Features:
- We were very excited aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010We were very excited about 42 N but unfortunately quite let down by the experience. The food was good, but not great. We had the potato skins with duck confit, which were interesting but came out warm not hot. And the restaurant, despite it being a Saturday night, was not even half-full. The stacked beef wellington, was again interesting, but overcooked. I prefer my steaks medium rare and we weren't given a choice and they came out medium to medium well. The desserts were good, but nothing spectacular. Our service was the biggest let-down. Our server never introduced herself and rushed us to order. When 3 of us ordered coffee she didn't pour it, she just left the pot. Our cocktail glasses were never cleared from the table either.Special Features:
- There was a miscommunicationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2010There was a miscommunication with the staff about our reservation. No one greeted us when we arrived, we had to find our own table, and after ordering our food waited an extraordinary amount of time for the food to arrive despite being one of two parties at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Our party felt we we're beingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2010Our party felt we we're being rushed. We waited awhile for someone to come and ask for our drink order and when asked they hadn't even supplied us with a wine list. We noticed alot of empty tables along the window and asked to be moved but was denied because of reservations requesting a window table to later see no one sitting there the rest of our stay. We were asked how we would like our checks way before desert was even served and tried to take my glass of wine before I was finished. The atmosphere was great and the so was the food but the service was poor.
- The food was okay and couldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2010The food was okay and could have been better. The squash soup and the cranberry bread that was placed on the table was the best part of my three course meal. Unfortunately the main entree (cider brined chicken breast)was bland and I was dissapointed with it. My date had the cedar plank maple glazed salmon and he was not blown away by it and he was also dissapointed. However the view was spectacular. The restaurant was beautiful but was missing music to set the ambiance. The staff was friendly and our waitress was nice.Special Features:
- The service was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2010The service was wonderful. Alicia was amazing, you will find her at the bar. The dining area was beautiful as was the view. The food however was very dissapointing. The potato skins were pretty good for a starter although they seemed to forget to add the bacon but the duck confit was tastey. We ordered the cedar planked maple salmon.The salmon was way overcooked, very dry and no seasoning except maple syrup. Our sides were fingerling potatoes which were dry and missing seaoning. The spinach was bright but also missing season. The trifle was over sweet and nothing to write home about. Done after one bite. It was truly a shame. We had such high hopes as we researched and read reviews before deciding whom we would visit during restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- VERY PLEASED. Everyone inBummerDateDined on 9/27/2010VERY PLEASED. Everyone in our party was overwhelmed - in a good way. Food was excellent. Our waitress was superb. The entire evening was the BEST for our 'gals night out'. PERFECGTSpecial Features:
- this was the first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2010this was the first time at this place and the first restaurant I went to for DRW.....I will return because it was fabulous. everything about it was great. I've been to 5 restaurant week places and to me this was by far the best.Special Features:
- we dined here for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2010we dined here for the first time during restaurant week. it was not that busy, but the service was horrible. the waiter barely came to check on us. we sat for 25 minutes waiting for dessert.....no waiter came to check on us during this time. unacceptable service. we will not return here again.Special Features:
- I visited 42degrees for theJojoVIPDined on 9/26/2010I visited 42degrees for the first time last year and it was supurb!!! My most recent visit was horrendous, an absolute failure of my expectations. I had invited 2 guest and told them how great the food was...and I was totally embarrassed to say the least for even taking them there. The ambiance as usual was great and it was truly a life saver for me because we spent almost an hour with only bread and butter...looking out of the window talking about Canada and Caesar Palace. We were seated nearly 30 minutes before three other tables, however, they received their appetizers and entrees before we received our appetizers. It left a bad taste in our mouths. Our waitress apologized numerous times...but the experience was the worst!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the soup and the dessert.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2010Enjoyed the soup and the dessert. The main course was not hot enough for either of us. Servers were nice but not energetic. Kind of unsure if I would go back.Special Features:
- The service at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2010The service at this restaurant was less than desired.
- The food was cold and tastelessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2010The food was cold and tasteless at best. I ordered the beef wellington and my boyfriend ordered the NY Strip both were under par. I ordered mine medium rare it was extremely well done. The asparagus that came with the NY Strip was good, but the potatoes for both meals were very cold. I would not recommend this place. Our service was slow, and the waiter was not attentive at all. The view is great but that's about it.Special Features:
- The food was boring, blandOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2010The food was boring, bland and uninspired. Our waiter lacked personality and customer care. The worst aspect of the evening was the creme brulee. When I saw "pumpkin creme brulee" on the menu, that was the deciding factor to make reservations at 42 degrees north. When I tapped my spoon on the surface, I was disappointed to find that there was no caramelized sugar on top. In taking my first bite I discovered why: Someone had mistaken the salt for sugar! How could a "fine dining" restaurant mistake salt for sugar and coat a creme brulee with it?! I expected great food and service, needless to say my night out was ruined.Special Features:
- 42 Degrees North seemed likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/201042 Degrees North seemed like a temporary or staged restaurant. The waitress seemed unsure of her role. The bar was not well stocked. Rasperry Stoli only, no regular? The Beef Wellington was "cafeteria quality" as stated by my SO. Some portions were HUGE and others were tiny. My vegetarian shepherd's pie was massive while the Beef Wellington appeared to be only 5 bites. We have participated in Detroit Restaurant Week before and at the previous restaurant we visited, were handed the regular menu along with the special shortened menu. While here, I had to ask for the regular menu, but didn't receive it until AFTER we were done eating. Not very good at the up-sale OR wanting people to come back again. Not impressed at all.Special Features:
- The food was very disapointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2010The food was very disapointing. The beef wellington has sauce covering it that was burnt and when we asked the waitress if she would ask the chef to bring us a new one with new sauce, she said all the sauce was made together and that when she tried it, it wasn't good either. There was also a huge moth on the window right next to my chair and it was on the inside of the restaurant. The butternut squash soup was our starter and even that was disapointing. We did not continue to dessert because our starter and entree weren't even decent, so we left. Overall, it was not a good experience. The restaurant was empty, but atleast the view was nice, that was about the only good thing about our dinner.Special Features:
- We went on a week night soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2010We went on a week night so there was maybe one group of people there. It was really quiet, the service was quick and friendly. The food actually surprised me at how good it was! And the best part - the view of the Detroit River and the Windsor skyline! Its amazing at night. Afterward, we went to grab a drink at the new bar, Volt, and walked outside. A really great experience overall!Special Features:
- Sorry to say--We did not get5starraterDined on 8/5/2010Sorry to say--We did not get the opportunity to enjoy our planned dinner. When we reached the restauraunt at 6:30PM we were told that they were not open to the public--because of a conference in progress they were serving only the conference attendees buffet style.Management was extremely appoligetic and did make sure we were seated at Adiamo's Resturaunt--which was FANTASTIC! The Dinner was the best--service excellent. We had a beautiful evening.Special Features:
- The ambiance was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2010The ambiance was wonderful at 42 Degrees North. I did not know what to expect for a Friday evening. The view was spectacular. Our group was seated on time and despite a minor communication mix-up with one of our guests who was a Vegetarian, everything was wonderful. My fiancee and I had never dined there before but received high praises from other friends who recommended the restaurant to us. We wanted to go prior to considering making reservations for dinner there proceeding our wedding in August. I would highly recommend this restaurant! Needless to say, we will be making another reservation for August.Special Features:
- Enjoyed having brunch here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2010Enjoyed having brunch here. Pretty good selection of food to choose from. The dessert was to die for!!Special Features:
- beautiful restaurant and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2010beautiful restaurant and view of the river. however, we went on your website to look at the menu, and decided on crab cakes, fish and chips and a salad. to our dismay, the crab cakes and fish and chips were not available on the menu. we were told by a staffer that we were looking at a "old " winter menu!! disappointed, we chose one of your burgers and another appetizer instead. that was good, but just wish you would update your website menu, because nowadays that determines if people visit. overall though a nice place to be.Special Features:
- If you are looking for theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2010If you are looking for the hidden gems of Detroit's finest resturants you need look no further 42 Degrees North is one of the spots. The floor to ceiling window give you a panaromic view of Detroit Riverwalk, Detroit River and Downtown Windsor. If you are dining at lunch the buffet is an excellent choice not the same drab menu found in other resturants!! We dined here for a birthday celebration using OpenTable for reservations was simple and the staff were very attentive. The food was great just a little chilly but I recommend this for all of your out of town guest!!Special Features: