411 W. Franklin St.
Chapel Hill, NC 27516Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.411west.com/
- Phone: 9199672782
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from 411 West
411 West, an Italian restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC, specializing in seasonal fresh pastas, wood-fired pizzas, fresh seafood, steaks, and specials inspired by the flavors of Italy and the Mediterranean. Located on the west end of Franklin Street, Chapel Hill's main thoroughfare, 411 West is convenient to the campus of the University of North Carolina and a short drive from the Raleigh/Durham Airport (RDU) and the Research Triangle. The atmosphere is warm and romantic, and the staff is friendly and accommodating. 411 West is also well known for a great selection of wines and fabulous desserts made in-house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
411 West - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
411 West reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)great for brunch (41)good for groups (38)special occasion (35)great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (30)romantic (25)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Constantly consistent.FatherVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is my constant go-to restaurant. The food and the service is always consistent. For brunch, lunch or dinner 411 never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed the recepieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014They changed the recepie on our favorite dish. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Chapel Hill ItalBillyMacVIPDined on 8/23/2014we arrived at 6 and the parking lot next to the rest was full and one of the pay machines (of only 2) was broken so big line to pay-- we lucked into a spot and then waited 20 mins to prepay. Finally made it to the rest and was seated immediately. Service was excellent to Great throughout. A martini before dinner and we had good conversation. Beef Carpacio--was good but unlike any I ever had before as it was not thinly sliced nor was it raw (edges were cooked and it was thick sliced). Pasta was great and so was creme brulee -- all in all a very favorable experience and the bill was very reasonable to boot. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MealBethzVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was a nice dinner. Nothing exceptional, Fair prices. good food.
- Trusty FavoriteOrganicSalmonloverDined on 8/14/2014Always a nice spot for reasonably priced exceptional meals. Friendly staff add to the experienceSpecial Features:
- 411 is backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014The ambiance and energy have always been great but the food had maybe slipped a bit over the years - but based on our dinner last night, the kitchen has taken control again and is turning out excellent dishes across the whole menu. The Mahi special was in fact, special, the pastas were all perfect, the salmon starter was HUGE and the service was friendly, attentive and accommodating. Great dinner for my son's 10th birthday, thanks 411.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free kindnessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My date and I both cannot eat gluten and we completely forgot to specify for gluten free pasta. Our dishes came out and then I remembered. The waitress took it back and even apologized even though it was our fault! They didn't charge us either! The food and service was awesome!!! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great, food not so muchOnceAYearRegularVIPDined on 8/8/2014I took a friend for her first visit to 411 West. I've been several times over the years. Seated quickly. Greeted quickly by a wonderful server named Boyd. Those were the highlights. Shrimp in the carbonara were overlooked. Chicken in the Marsala was not tender. Food was just not very tasty. Probably should have done the specials instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodHemispherectomyDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant served as a suitable blank slate for a date, in that the restaurant provided no negative distractions from a good dinner conversation. Neither hunger nor noise disturbed my evening here. The waitstaff were courteous, such that a discussion that prevented me from reading the menu was allowed to flourish. 411 West succeeded not as a performance, but as a nurturing environment that allowed a night on the town to evolve. In other words, the only thing that I remembered from this dinner was talking with my date and good food, which can only be a good sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFamilydinnerDined on 8/5/2014Great food great service casual atmosphere. I had the weekly special of Mediterranean pasta and it was fabulous!Special Features:
- Evening MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014I had not been to 411 in many years. The food, ambiance and service were as excellent as they have been for many, many years. My only criticism was that we sat directly across from the ac vents which were very strong. That's difficult when you're older. It was downright cold! Next time we'll ask to sit away from them. We'd also requested a setting where we could hear one another speak. By the time we left that was challenging due to the high ceilings, however, we knew to arrive early enough to help offset that.Special Features:
- Good Food!CaseyDined on 8/2/2014The food is flavorful, the service is good and there are numerous wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Modest venue, excellent foodManhattanStrayDined on 8/1/2014It felt like we were heading into a diner but the service was impeccable. The food was great and thought he décor was a bit dated, the menu was strikingly fresh and forward thinking. Eat here once and you will become a faithful patron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBurpetheadDined on 7/31/2014Really wonderful if you can get the special itallian room! Get there before 6:30 for the special room. Great food and wine at decent medium-high prices. Good alternative to the Lantern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotScott77027Dined on 7/29/2014411 West has the feel of a family owned and locally operated neighborhood restaurant. The food is not sophisticated but very good and well priced. The service was friendly and efficient. I would definitely go back if my travels took me back to Chapel Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatitalianfoodloverDined on 7/11/2014Great food! Definitely recommend to others. Great food, great environment, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt meet recommendationsK2escottVIPDined on 7/4/2014While visiting Chapel Hill, family of 4 had dinner on July 4th...the menu had many attractive options, but the actual food was disappointing. My gnocchi tasted like tater tots...I couldn't even eat them. My salad was also bitter, lacked proper dressing and was just a let down. Cute atmosphere right on Franklin St. We skipped dessert and got ice cream somewhere else.
- Bright and DeliciousatinaDined on 6/29/2014The ambience is fresh and light. The staff was nice and seated us right away while on of our party was parking. I had the blueberry pancakes with warm maple syrup that were delicious...I couldn't eat all three. It is a nice place for brunch on Sundays. The pleasant staff is what made this a great experience. Would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- thewatt1Dined on 6/24/2014Our absence has been too long. still a great place, reasonably priced, friendly atmosphere, and lots of foodSpecial Features:
- excellentg8todineDined on 6/23/2014Great food and service. The desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pitch-perfect!durhamite55Dined on 6/21/2014I reserved a window table for 6:00pm for my date and me, because we were going to an 8:30pm comedy show on Franklin Street, and I wanted to allow us time to relax and enjoy our meal and each other's company. As luck would have it, we were running a little late, and with the parking situation along Franklin Street being what it is I chose to use the paid parking lot next to 411 West. Before paying, I popped in to see whether our window table was still available, and it was! That was the first good sign. The second good sign was that our server allowed us a bit of extra time, without leaving us stranded. When our food arrived, we were very pleased with the flavor, the presentation, and the portion sizes. We had a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner5at5Dined on 6/21/2014411 is my daughter's favorite restaurant, so we celebrate her birthday there. We order great food, take pictures, post them on Facebook and thoroughly enjoy ourselves--usually leaving with left-overs (for us, not the dog!) This time was no exception. It was clear when we arrived that everything we had requested in our on-line reservation would happen. We got the time we wanted, the room we wanted, and a waitress who was aware of our every need. The lemon linguine and chocolate chess pie remain family favoritesFive at 5, but we're always won over by the first food to come out--the rolls and butter--none better anywhere.Special Features:
- NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014When we arrived we were seated in the side room at the window. Shortly 2 groups were seated in the room. They were very loud and we had a hard time hearing each other and there were just 4 of us. There were many empty tables in the main rooms. Next time I will request that we not be seated in that room when there is a party schedule. We should have been warned.
- Plenty of food and very goodbrant007Dined on 6/15/2014We went to 411 for Father's Day brunch for the first time at this restaurant. The service was a little slower than we normally like; however, the waiter did bring everything we asked for when he did bring it. The food was very good and plenty of it with no problems customizing orders. Glad we made reservations because the restaurant was full by 11:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't MissFireflyDined on 6/11/2014I can always count on 411 West for a great dinner experience. The food is very good, the table and bar service staff are very friendly and take great care of you. The atmosphere is vibrant and I will always see someone I know there. It is truly a great neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really badAnneDined on 6/10/2014I have eaten at 411 before and it was great. So I decided to recommend it for a UNCH leadership dinner. They assign a waitress that is also working the bar. We had to sit there waiting to order. Although the food came very fast but we we needed something we had to wait. One of the manager had to get her own grated chees in the bar counter.
- Too loudegjohnstonDined on 6/8/2014The restuarant looks great but the noise level was not good. The food was good, but not great. We had a nice server who did a good job, but I followed his recommendation and did not like my choice. The bread was good; the portions were decent, but I would probably not go back.Special Features:
- DinnersiweldrDined on 6/7/2014Service was good, but slow. Our table was cramped and along the main route to the kitchen - distracting. Had the salmon and it was great as was the kale salad. The ambience was just OK. The food was good, but I was expecting more.
- Good chow!nicedinnerDined on 6/6/2014We enjoyed the pasta dishes we both got, and the service was very good. The atmosphere at the restaurant was nice, although a little loud for our tastes. Our only complaint was that the food wasn't served piping hot. It was warm but not really warm enough, evidence that the plates sat a while before being brought to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerTHMD27516Dined on 6/2/2014Excellent food and wine, would especially recommend the Lemon Linguine and Calamari appetizer. One of the best places on Franklin Street and all of Chapel Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a celebratory brunch!LibrarianDined on 6/1/2014I went with 5 other people for Sunday brunch. They were able to seat us quickly and get our drinks out quickly as well. The food took a little longer than expected but there were several large parties who came in at the same time, so that was to be expected. I am not sure how crowded it gets when school is in session but for a summer brunch location it's delightful!Special Features:
- Good food good service but too loudGoBlueDined on 5/30/2014Went for dinner w my husband. I enjoyed my dinner but the level of noise made conversation very difficult.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 411 WestCarlosVIPDined on 5/25/2014Great dinner. We all had seafood: trout special, shrimp polenta, and salmon. Everyone was very happy with their selections. Fish was cooked just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food & bad service for a priceFoodie14Dined on 5/25/2014Went here for dinner with friends... It was terrible, one of the worst meals I have had in chapel hill. My husband got the chicken parmigiana and the chicken was over cooked and rubbery. I had the shrimp carbonara, and it was so bland it tasted like the chef just poured plain heavy cream on it, and the shrimp was over cooked and tough. The service was terrible as well, my friend got one of their pizzas and when she asked for a box the waiter said "no problem" and then apparently just threw it away. My husband also ordered a soda and the one time she filled his cup without him having to ask during the whole meal, she filled it with water. In sum terrible food, terrible service for a higher than average price.
- Love the garden room!SuzPDined on 5/25/2014411 West is always good, but the atmosphere is best in the sunroom with the fountain, where I feel like I am in Italy!Special Features:
- expected moreLiloDined on 5/24/2014Food was good, but nothing outstanding. Has a good wine list. Desert and coffee were really good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and pleasingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2014Always a pleaser, 411 West is a goto restaurant for taste of casual dining in Chapel Hill. Well done with a mix of standard fare and specials. Reasonable quality for a college town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014Food quality has deteriorated. This has always been our goto place for great Italian and we have always recommended 411 West to newcomers to the area. Not anymore. The food was terrible. One pasta (hazelnut pesto) came out completely wadded in one giant lump of pasta yet oddly dry. How the chef achieved and served that is beyond comprehension. My usual whole wheat fettucine was drenched in sauce and far to salty. We will be avoiding this place in the future.Special Features:
- Excellent valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Great food that is reasonably priced and high qualitySpecial Features:
- Creative menu, wonderful ambienceTarheelMomDined on 5/10/2014This is a great restaurant for celebrations. The server was attentive, friendly. Even on busy graduation weekend, the service was excellent; we never felt rushed. We were seated in patio room-felt like a courtyard cafe in Venice. Calimari cooked just right and aoli sauce was amazing! Strawberry, goat cheese salad with balsamic dressing was excellent-very fresh. The hazlenut pesto on angel hair was favorite-unique dish with fantastic blend of flavors. Chicken marsala was very tender, delicious sauce, perfectly crisp cooked vegetables. Won't order roasted vegetables and pumpkin seeds over pasta again-vegetables had no individual flavors, could not taste the pumpkin seeds. We ordered dessert sampler and loved it! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.