404 12th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.the404nashville.com/
- Phone: 6152511404x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: Matt Bolus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from 404 Kitchen
Chef Matt Bolus, who has previously served in chef positions at Flyte and Watermark in Nashville and FIG in Charleston, will offer a "modern take on classical European cuisine," and the menu will be determined by available produce grown at local farms, including herbs grown on the hotel’s roof. The restaurant itself is located in a storage container, with indoor seating for 45 and outdoor seating up to 16. PLEASE call us if you would like to sit outside or book a party of 6 or more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
404 Kitchen - Best Restaurants in The Gulch ›
404 Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)special occasion (68)hot spot (66)neighborhood gem (62)notable wine list (55)romantic (47)great for outdoor dining (45)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)good for groups (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Fantastic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was delicious and service was friendly. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Finally a great spot in NashvilleNLGfoodieDined on 10/17/2014Having eaten at some of the best restaurants around the world, I have finally found a place that has great food and service in Nashville. There's been several new restaurants in town that have been over praised but this place is on point. I've not experienced service like this since eating at the Fat Duck in England last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You just can't go wrong!FunkyheadTNDined on 10/15/2014I've said it once and I'll say it again...my new favorite Nashville restaurant. Everything is always wonderful...service, food, wine...will keep spreading the word & coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind...GrazingThroughVIPDined on 10/14/2014Chef Matt Bolus, Travis and the whole 404 Kitchen team are great. The food is always amazing and delicious.Special Features:
- LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/11/2014All of our dishes were outstanding. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the menu. Our dishes were evenly spaced. We never felt rushed. I appreciate that you got us a taxi as we had to get to the Ryman for a show. As first time visitors to Nashville we would definitely return to your establishmentSpecial Features:
- NoisyWilson2014Dined on 10/10/2014Despite the excellence in attendance, the place is indeed noisy, without acoustic system. Everybody should talk in loud voice to become understood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuckyDined on 10/10/2014Highly recommend. The food is outstanding and very creative. The cocktails are wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceJackDined on 10/10/2014I went on a Friday night. It wasn't too crowded but we were there early and we had to book a few days in advance. The food and the service were both outstanding. The only complaint was that the air conditioning was a bit much but this is not an uncommon experience in Nashville restaurants. All in all I had a great meal and enjoyed myself a lot. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful gem in the gulch!HollybDined on 10/4/2014We went to 404 for our anniversary and had one of the best dinners ever! It is small but we were able to sit at a private two top which was romantic. It was an early dinner before a show is the noise level wasn't bad at all (as what others have said). I would definitely recommend the three little pigs for a starter( if you like ham and biscuits). We also had the tri-tip and pork stroganoff, and devoured every bite! The service was off the charts as well! Couldn't have asked for a better dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The food was amazing and the service could not have been better. It is pretty quiet, as it is such a small place.Special Features:
- Worth It!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/3/2014Great service and food! Small and therefore loud. BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sorry, very disappointedmsjudyVIPDined on 10/2/2014My party of five, consisting of 2 Chicago-area chefs and 3 foodies, had 4 different entrees and all 4 had problems. The shrimp, clams, fluke and swordfish were all overcooked. The pork stroganoff contained clumps of fettuccini that were clearly improperly cooked. The side dishes of creamed kale and caponata, on the other hand, were quite tasty. Service started out to be attentive and knowledgeable, then our server became distracted and seemed to avoid us as the dinner progressed. NO ONE asked us how our meals were. The menu was pretentious, full of words that no one knows, like "SIRPs", which required lots of dialogue. Obviously, the restaurant is overly ambitious and we will not return.
- best of nashville...cntrydadDined on 9/27/2014loved everything about this place, and sort of ruined us for the rest of the places in town! loved our server, the food was some of the best i've had in awhile and the place feels just right in so many ways. inspired, comfortable and warm….we will come back just to eat (and sleep) here, even from california….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well ExecutedLentementDined on 9/26/2014I had been wanting to go to 404 Kitchen for some time but planning for enough in advance to get reservations was challenging. So expectations were quite high. Everything was well executed, and the service was excellent. The sommelier was very helpful with a wine selection. I enjoyed the rabbit dish, and enjoyed spooning the broth like soup when the rabbit was gone. One person in our group had the mussels dish which he found underwhelming and too salty. We shared the peanut butter and jelly dessert which was fun and nice to have a little taste of, but I would not want to eat it by myself....the truffles were exceedingly sweet. The cornbread with sorghum butter has had many positive reviews, and I would underscore those rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatjackmanDined on 9/26/2014Nashville has a wealth of great dining spots.Competition is fierce.404 will have no problemkeeping up.They were outstanding.Special Features:
- DanielVIPDined on 9/25/2014We're from NYC. Whenever we're coming through Nashville we make sure to stop at 404 for (at least one) dinner! My Nashville favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Service could not have been better, food was wonderful - a place not to miss when in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hoot! In a shipping container!ChazconeDined on 9/23/2014From the complimentary valet parking to an excellent Pinot and great starters, we had a lovely time at the 404 Kitchen. We hadn't fasted all day and we weren't very hungry so we made do with three starters. We were cared for by the lovely Christine. We had the Burrata, the Liver Pate and the cornbread with sorghum butter -- and it filled us up. As everyone knows by now, the restaurant is in a standard shipping container (no kidding) and it was sol cool!Special Features:
- Best meal over we eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/20/2014Looking to try a new restaurant in Nashville? My wife and I ate dinner at 404 Kitchen tonight in The Gulch. As strange as this may sound, it's built into an an old shipping container. Skeptics beware, it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We split a soft poached egg w/ Hungarian white truffles, raspberries & pecans. It was earthy and salty in all of the right ways. And the berries balanced it perfectly. For my main course, I had tender mako (shark) cutlets sliced thick and laid on top of a corn, cherry tomato & field pea succotash. The mako ate similar to a swordfish - flaky but still tender. And all of it was sopped in a light corn butter sauce. I'm telling you... Everything was amazing. Almost as amazing as my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Living OveratedGamecockDinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had high hopes, especially my wife, and was let down when we arrived a bit early and were turned away to a restaurant across the street to have cocktails. I spoke with the chef to let him know what had happened. To me the whole dining experience is not just about the food, which was excellent, but about the service. I make enough decisions and service clients on a daily basis and eating out is my opportunity to have someone service me for a change. So low scores on the service we received however, the food was great...try the rabbit.Special Features:
- Great new findpherobDined on 9/19/2014So glad to have eaten here while in town for the Food and Wind Fest. Both the rabbit and the clams were wonderful entrees that I'd recommend to anyone. The restaurant is very small--make your reservations early!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOK14Dined on 9/18/2014Tables too close together. Food creative although you didn't get salad, bread or vegetables with meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingletseatDined on 9/17/2014Once again, I must happily say that my overall experience at the 404 was top-notch. You really can't beat the menu items for freshness, quality, and excellent choice. You just can't find food like this in most of Nashville. The service was impeccable and the wine selection unique with lots of variety in choice. I have recommended the 404 to many friends and they always thank me afterwards. What a treasure.Special Features:
- salty, salty, saltyaznernieDined on 9/17/2014Both my starter and main dish were over salted, obscuring the flavors of the burrata starter and clam/shrimp entreeSpecial Features:
- Mixed feelings...MishaDined on 9/16/2014When it comes to ambience and service, 404 was absolutely wondeful. It is quite loud on the inside so if you are doing a date opt for outside dining. It's nice. The food was at best alright. Way too overpriced for the portion sizes and the quality of food being put forth. Best thing I had was the Okra side, and a signature cocktail of the restaurant. The chicken was okay, but when it got to us, was cold. Overall, I probably won't be back. Not worth it.Special Features:
- Great!VaughanFamVIPDined on 9/16/2014We loved it! Can't wait to go back! Drinks were very good! Totally different then any other place we have been in a long time. Which was a great thing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visithungryVIPDined on 9/13/2014great menu...wonderful food...fantastic service. First time at the kitchen but will be back and suggest to friends they dine there also.Special Features:
- Great Food, Loud AtmoshperenotafoodieDined on 9/12/2014The food was great as was the service, however I thought there were too many tables. This made our experience feel too crowded and we could barely hear across a two top table.Special Features:
- Six stars!!!nash617Dined on 9/12/2014Would give 6 stars if they offered it. Service was impeccable. No one has thoughtfully gone over their food or wine options to ensure an optimal dining experience! Rabbit was delicious and husband loved his steak. Sommelier was so helpful and kind!! Will be back!Special Features:
- Worth the waitbnadinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Took us a while to make a reservation. Well worth wait. Great food. Great service. Great addition to the Nashville dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianneforgoodfoodDined on 9/5/2014I ordered the pork pate followed by the pasta dressed with pork and peaches. I ordered a glass of the Sangiovese to accompany the pate. The food at 404 is very, very good. I could easily have made a very nice meal with the starters, not to mention the sides. I will go back, perhaps just to sit at the bar though I wished we were seated outside: primarily because the noise level is very "energetic" and makes conversation difficult. People who cook regularly should enjoy deconstructing the dishes. The chicken confit is a big dish and the cobia rillette with melon, well, let's just say I am glad my friend allowed me to enjoy a taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern FusionFetzerDined on 9/4/2014This is a locavore's paradise. Everything on the menu is fresh and locally grown except, I presume, the seafood, which is excellent. The numerous varieties heirloom tomatoes used in many dishes add a unique taste. The grits and scallops were especially delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousGastroGirlDined on 9/3/2014The food was to die for - seriously! A poached egg salad with truffle oil that was out of this world. Black truffle tartare - the best tartare I have ever had in my entire life! I think it was the cinnamon. The cocktails were amazing and I had the sommelier-suggested white wine by the glass which was a gorgeous Chardonnay. My friend had the sommelier-suggested red and it was so delicious as well (and I am not even a red wine girl). I cannot remember a better meal in Nashville.Special Features:
- nice evening, great servergulchdinerDined on 9/3/2014We had a great waitress, really knew the menu and the wine well. The food was well prepared and nicely presented and quite good. However I was very disappointed that they did not allow corkage of my own bottle of wine and we had to spend more on a bottle of wine than all the rest of the meal combined. I understand why they do that and they have a great selection of wines but it was unexpected.Special Features:
- Knocked it out of the parkjshjh023VIPDined on 9/2/2014Really the best meal I have had in Nashville in the last 10 years. Completely over the top. The tartare was the best I have had, EVER. If you can get a reservation, this is a must.Special Features:
- 404 reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014NO HIGH CHAIRS. DEFINITELY NOT KID FRIENDLY. FOOD WAS JUST AVERAGE, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE. $200 FOR A PARTY OF THREE WITH ONE DRINK EACH.
- LovelySouthernGentVIPDined on 8/29/2014404 Kitchen is a very lovely, small restaurant. The servers are knowledgeable about food and are interested in your dining experience. I appreciate this. There is a very good selection of bourbons and the bartenders are eager to share their expertise. If you love food and enjoying it with folk who care about food, you will have a good experience here.Special Features:
- Best birthday dinnerGrammyweezyDined on 8/27/2014Second visit to 404 and was very excited that they hadn't run out of the burrata this time! It was amazing; the crudo, clams and opah were also amazing. Travis is a wonderful host and took good care of us on a special night. I don't know a ton about wine and he chose excellent pairings for us. 404 is my favorite spot in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend 404luvgr8wineDined on 8/27/2014We found 404 to be cramped and crowded; a bit pretentious; and uncomfortable with the staff standing over the dinners. Our chair was touching the chair of the person at the table behind us. Valet parking was bad with a long wait in the sun for our car. Generally would not recommend 404 to a friend.
- jlh88Dined on 8/23/2014Very loud, VERY cramped seating, just okay food. Desserts were nicely done.