404 12th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.the404nashville.com/
- Phone: 6152511404x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: Matt Bolus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from 404 Kitchen
Chef Matt Bolus, who has previously served in chef positions at Flyte and Watermark in Nashville and FIG in Charleston, will offer a "modern take on classical European cuisine," and the menu will be determined by available produce grown at local farms, including herbs grown on the hotel’s roof. The restaurant itself is located in a storage container, with indoor seating for 45 and outdoor seating up to 16. PLEASE call us if you would like to sit outside or book a party of 6 or more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
404 Kitchen - Best Restaurants in The Gulch ›
404 Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)special occasion (60)hot spot (55)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (51)great for outdoor dining (46)romantic (38)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best meal over we eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/20/2014Looking to try a new restaurant in Nashville? My wife and I ate dinner at 404 Kitchen tonight in The Gulch. As strange as this may sound, it's built into an an old shipping container. Skeptics beware, it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We split a soft poached egg w/ Hungarian white truffles, raspberries & pecans. It was earthy and salty in all of the right ways. And the berries balanced it perfectly. For my main course, I had tender mako (shark) cutlets sliced thick and laid on top of a corn, cherry tomato & field pea succotash. The mako ate similar to a swordfish - flaky but still tender. And all of it was sopped in a light corn butter sauce. I'm telling you... Everything was amazing. Almost as amazing as my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Living OveratedGamecockDinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had high hopes, especially my wife, and was let down when we arrived a bit early and were turned away to a restaurant across the street to have cocktails. I spoke with the chef to let him know what had happened. To me the whole dining experience is not just about the food, which was excellent, but about the service. I make enough decisions and service clients on a daily basis and eating out is my opportunity to have someone service me for a change. So low scores on the service we received however, the food was great...try the rabbit.Special Features:
- Great new findpherobDined on 9/19/2014So glad to have eaten here while in town for the Food and Wind Fest. Both the rabbit and the clams were wonderful entrees that I'd recommend to anyone. The restaurant is very small--make your reservations early!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOK14Dined on 9/18/2014Tables too close together. Food creative although you didn't get salad, bread or vegetables with meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingletseatDined on 9/17/2014Once again, I must happily say that my overall experience at the 404 was top-notch. You really can't beat the menu items for freshness, quality, and excellent choice. You just can't find food like this in most of Nashville. The service was impeccable and the wine selection unique with lots of variety in choice. I have recommended the 404 to many friends and they always thank me afterwards. What a treasure.Special Features:
- salty, salty, saltyaznernieDined on 9/17/2014Both my starter and main dish were over salted, obscuring the flavors of the burrata starter and clam/shrimp entreeSpecial Features:
- Mixed feelings...MishaDined on 9/16/2014When it comes to ambience and service, 404 was absolutely wondeful. It is quite loud on the inside so if you are doing a date opt for outside dining. It's nice. The food was at best alright. Way too overpriced for the portion sizes and the quality of food being put forth. Best thing I had was the Okra side, and a signature cocktail of the restaurant. The chicken was okay, but when it got to us, was cold. Overall, I probably won't be back. Not worth it.Special Features:
- Great!VaughanFamVIPDined on 9/16/2014We loved it! Can't wait to go back! Drinks were very good! Totally different then any other place we have been in a long time. Which was a great thing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visithungryVIPDined on 9/13/2014great menu...wonderful food...fantastic service. First time at the kitchen but will be back and suggest to friends they dine there also.Special Features:
- Great Food, Loud AtmoshperenotafoodieDined on 9/12/2014The food was great as was the service, however I thought there were too many tables. This made our experience feel too crowded and we could barely hear across a two top table.Special Features:
- Worth the waitbnadinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Took us a while to make a reservation. Well worth wait. Great food. Great service. Great addition to the Nashville dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianneforgoodfoodDined on 9/5/2014I ordered the pork pate followed by the pasta dressed with pork and peaches. I ordered a glass of the Sangiovese to accompany the pate. The food at 404 is very, very good. I could easily have made a very nice meal with the starters, not to mention the sides. I will go back, perhaps just to sit at the bar though I wished we were seated outside: primarily because the noise level is very "energetic" and makes conversation difficult. People who cook regularly should enjoy deconstructing the dishes. The chicken confit is a big dish and the cobia rillette with melon, well, let's just say I am glad my friend allowed me to enjoy a taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern FusionFetzerDined on 9/4/2014This is a locavore's paradise. Everything on the menu is fresh and locally grown except, I presume, the seafood, which is excellent. The numerous varieties heirloom tomatoes used in many dishes add a unique taste. The grits and scallops were especially delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousGastroGirlDined on 9/3/2014The food was to die for - seriously! A poached egg salad with truffle oil that was out of this world. Black truffle tartare - the best tartare I have ever had in my entire life! I think it was the cinnamon. The cocktails were amazing and I had the sommelier-suggested white wine by the glass which was a gorgeous Chardonnay. My friend had the sommelier-suggested red and it was so delicious as well (and I am not even a red wine girl). I cannot remember a better meal in Nashville.Special Features:
- nice evening, great servergulchdinerDined on 9/3/2014We had a great waitress, really knew the menu and the wine well. The food was well prepared and nicely presented and quite good. However I was very disappointed that they did not allow corkage of my own bottle of wine and we had to spend more on a bottle of wine than all the rest of the meal combined. I understand why they do that and they have a great selection of wines but it was unexpected.Special Features:
- Knocked it out of the parkjshjh023VIPDined on 9/2/2014Really the best meal I have had in Nashville in the last 10 years. Completely over the top. The tartare was the best I have had, EVER. If you can get a reservation, this is a must.Special Features:
- 404 reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014NO HIGH CHAIRS. DEFINITELY NOT KID FRIENDLY. FOOD WAS JUST AVERAGE, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE. $200 FOR A PARTY OF THREE WITH ONE DRINK EACH.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014404 Kitchen is a very lovely, small restaurant. The servers are knowledgeable about food and are interested in your dining experience. I appreciate this. There is a very good selection of bourbons and the bartenders are eager to share their expertise. If you love food and enjoying it with folk who care about food, you will have a good experience here.Special Features:
- Best birthday dinnerGrammyweezyDined on 8/27/2014Second visit to 404 and was very excited that they hadn't run out of the burrata this time! It was amazing; the crudo, clams and opah were also amazing. Travis is a wonderful host and took good care of us on a special night. I don't know a ton about wine and he chose excellent pairings for us. 404 is my favorite spot in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend 404luvgr8wineDined on 8/27/2014We found 404 to be cramped and crowded; a bit pretentious; and uncomfortable with the staff standing over the dinners. Our chair was touching the chair of the person at the table behind us. Valet parking was bad with a long wait in the sun for our car. Generally would not recommend 404 to a friend.
- jlh88Dined on 8/23/2014Very loud, VERY cramped seating, just okay food. Desserts were nicely done.
- Claustrophic dining at its bestTravelbearVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have dined all over the world. In some places, I will enjoy a great view with mediocre food (dining atop of the Acropolis). In Nashville, although the food was average, the atmostphere was really lousy. Small, claustrophic gray room, with tiny tables only inches feature a menu with inconsistent items and no theme. Pork pate, buttered okra, and cookies for dessert do not make "foodie" dining. Why are the seats so uncomfortable that the owner can't spring for a few pillows. Fewer tables? There are far better restaurants than 404 in Nashville. The people dining next to us ordered a fish dish and pork dish that looked exactly the same. Some white stew concoction in a white bowl with no garnish or vegetables. Try dining outside.
- PerfectJRSDRSVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had an amazing dinner at 404. It was one of those nights that everything was absolutely perfect. The menu is simple and fresh. Service was impeccable. We had a reservation but chose the bar so we could sit next to each other. The sommelier recommended a wine that we will crave and seek out. On top of first class service and food it was friendly. We absolutely enjoyed talking to various employees and felt welcome to the point it feels like a neighborhood restaurant but yet gets national accolades. We can't wait to go back! Thank you for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swordfish with SuccotashFoodandWine26Dined on 8/21/2014I have been twice now, and ordered this entree both times. Its that good. From the cheese board to the peach cobbler, this restaurant is a delight bite for bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCarolandKenEvansDined on 8/21/2014We are real foodies, we choose 404 as it was listed #3 on Southern Livings Best of the South. The Cobia starter was great but Swordfish was to fishy to eat and Pork Raggot was like soup with many tomatoes and noodles and a little stringy pork. Neither lived up to 404's reputation. There were flies it was hot & sun was so bright, I had to wear sunglasses.
- Kitchen 404--Dining in The GulchJamarhoDined on 8/16/2014We had a delicious dinner at Kitchen 404--chicken liver pate for a starter, rabbit gnudi and Louisiana drum for entrees, and shortbread with blueberries and lemon cream for dessert. Everything exceeded our expectations--from taste to presentation. This is a small restaurant, with tables close to each other, but that just added to the unique atmosphere. The service was outstanding. Our only recommendation is to add more French wines (Rhone and southern France areas). We highly recommend Kitchen 404, and will return there soon.Special Features:
- Perfect.PerfectDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding in every way. Outrageously good food & cocktails. Great staff. Warm ambience. Haven't seen the boutique hotel, but halfway through dinner, my companion and I were fantasizing about living in the hotel and taking all our meals at 404 Kitchen. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit insideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Great food, well curated bev program, knowledgeable servers.. Only issue was sitting outdoors right by a sewer manhole that was giving us a good whiff of funk that was hard to ignoreSpecial Features:
- emptynestemptynestDined on 8/14/2014Everything spot on again. Apps creative. Chicken sear was perfect. Swordfish cooked perfectly. Most knowledgeful wine staff in Nashville. If you go before 6:30, take your sunglasses. Sure sign of a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivinehonestgalDined on 8/13/2014What a lovely restaurant. The food was truly divine tasting. I tried the Rabbit and I would definitely order it again. I also was quite surprised at the eclectic wine list. I tried some amazing wines that I had never heard of before. The service was outstanding, and the servers very knowledgeable and helpful with their recommendations. This restaurant has a long future ahead of it. Very happy I found it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and DeliciousVibrantDined on 8/12/2014Fresh ingredients carefully prepared. Excellent service. Pricey wine. Located in a "hip" part of town. Visiting on business from Atlanta and found it a "treat".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectYumNashvilleDined on 8/9/2014this was our second visit to 404 and I look forward to many more meals here. The kitchen really pays attention to the food--textures, flavors, and small surprises like the use of fresh fruits. Nothing is overwhelming or in your face. Because the restaurant is so small, the service is very attentive from everyone on the floor. Truly, a wonderful gem in Nashville.Special Features:
- Try ittheguyDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food. Top service. Unique choices of wine and whisky. I recommend it. About time Nashville had something like this. Not your standard fare.Special Features:
- Fabulous food!LucilleDined on 8/8/2014Amazing and delicious!! Best meal we have had in a while!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!AAAMDined on 8/7/2014I have dined at 404 twice, and both meals were excellent. The food is prepared with such precision and care, nothing is overlooked. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For foodieseatmywordsDined on 8/5/2014Small foodie place for high end dining in smart-casual atmosphere. Lots of locally sourced ingrediants and small production adult beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodjcampb35Dined on 8/2/2014The food was some of the best we have had in Nashville. The pimento cheese, Rabbit dish and grilled Okra were the standouts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and it was delicious!AndreaHCDined on 8/2/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at 404 Kitchen and it was fantastic! We really loved the charcuterie plate, the perfectly poached egg, a study of clams and the peach & pork ragout. The skillet cookie was also great. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- a taste treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014my dinner guest and i were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful food. each bite was absolutely yummy. a real taste feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So beautiful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014It's a tiny, intimate space with absolutely the BEST service and most delicious, creative food. The swordfish with summer succotash was out of this world, the cornbread with sorghum whiskey butter was amazing, and their twist on bananas foster was the best way to end the meal! The tables are close together, so we were able to meet our neighbors - this made it such a sweet, intimate experience. I highly recommend it! (Parking in the Gulch is super frustrating... but it's worth it.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.