31 North Johnson Park
Buffalo, NY 14201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.the31club.com/
- Phone: 716-332-3131x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Eric Kloss
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private off-site event catering available. Please call for more information
Tricia 716 332-3131 OR email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful banquet room that can accommodate up to 70 for a sit-down dinner, and up to 100 for a cocktail party.
Main dining room is available for events and can seta up to 36 people.
We also have a smaller dining room with a fireplace that can seat up to 18.
State-of-the art AV available in all three rooms.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Tricia Constable 7163323131x
- Entertainment: Free Live Music every Friday and Saturday at 10pm
- Special Events: 3 - private banquet spaces and off-site catering available.
- Cross Street: Elmwood
- Public Transit: South Elmwood and Johnson Park bus stop. Delaware Avenue and Johnson Park bus stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is ample at the 31 Club. We also offer FREE parking for the theatre and events when you join us for dinner before a show/event
A word from 31 Club
Seated at the corner of South Elmwood and North Johnson Park, the 31 Club is one of Buffalo's finest restaurants located right in the downtown area. From the swanky bar, to the spacious dining and private banquet rooms, a classic name made famous in the 1940s returns to its original, rightful home with a fresh, fashionable face. With a historic background that pre-dates the 1900's 31 Club was the first mayor of Buffalo's home, Ebenezer Johnson served as mayor from May 1832 - March 1833 and then again from 1834 - 1835. His home was known as Johnson Cottage and was a well known place for socializing. Today 31 Club carries on the tradition as a hot spot for who's who in the city and is one of the best places to eat, drink and be seen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
31 Club - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
31 Club reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (38)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (12)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Filet great! Risotto too salty.ReetDined on 10/24/2014Our waiter was very funny and nice and made it extra fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for Restauarant Week.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Had a great Strip Steak, went during restaurant week to keep the cost down. Pretty Expensive, probably wouldn't have gone without the discount.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/23/2014the inside looks very classy. enjoyed the food very much. the wine list was impressive and affordable. the service very responsive.Special Features:
- drtmetGambinousDined on 10/20/201431 Club hits it on all categories. Food, ambiance, service and price were all excellent. Could very well be new favorite spot for any type of occasion and that would be amazing to move me from my present favorite - Oliver's. We'll see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J'adore!manolomultipassDined on 10/18/2014I asked online for a nice table in cozy and a bit isolated place of the restaurant. I got exactly what I wanted. The building look nice and the decoration is very good (cozy). Service was excellent. Food excellent. Wine excellent. I'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely potTobrobDined on 10/18/2014Very attentive service, well paced presentation, good sized portions, and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lousy atmosphereKevinMDined on 10/11/2014Food was above average to excellent in both choices and quality. Atmosphere was not very good. We were in the north room, sat right next to a large table which was very loud. But other diners were just as noisy, so the acoustics must be poor. The biggest problem was the speed of service. We ordered an appetizer, salad, and soup that we told the server we'd share. They all came out at once. Given the small table there wasn't really room for it. Salad got soggy as we left it for last, and the appetizer and soup wasn't really hot depending on which one you chose first. Entrees came out quickly as well. We were finished eating within an hour of being seated. Just too rushed for the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014Though it is within walking distance it offers a shuttle to Shea's Theatre. Very convenient. Food was excellent! Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Great Night OutFoodieDined on 10/3/2014The food, the wine, the service: fantastic. If you want a few drinks at the bar, though, it is most difficult to have a conversation; the bar is too small for a band that loud. And we LOVE jazz! We also like to hear ourselves. We left early. Too bad; everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We went for our wedding anniversary. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was great. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- themapDined on 9/30/2014Excellent food and beverages, martini, perfect manhatten and red wine. Delicious food, cooked just right and very nice presentation. Courteous and attentive and knowledgeable waiter. Pleasant conversation with maitre d. Will return another time.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!willtravel4foodDined on 9/27/2014With so many great dining options in Western NY now, we had not been to the 31 Club in a few years. Our waitress indicated a new chef was in place and the menu is changing, but the food continued to be excellent. I enjoyed the lobster and shrimp risotto, and my husband the rack of lamb. His was easily the MOST succulent and tasty lamb I have ever eaten, and we have lamb often.Special Features:
- Our night out....drsdentonDined on 9/26/2014For starters club 31 was a recommendation from a friend so when people say word of mouth is good advertising it is true. It was a fabulous evening as my wife called it. Our server was Doug and he was a very special part of making our evening grand. We made reservation and showed up early and they took us in right away. We had a bottle of wine, two appetizers, two entrees and shared a dessert all which were wonderful on the palate. The steaks needed nothing add, tender and prepared exactly as request. Our experience reminded us of exactly why they call it fine dining. Thank you to the staff at 31 Club for making our night wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Pre Concert DinnerMickiDined on 9/13/2014Club 31 is a great place to have a dinner if you're going to the BPO or other events downtown. We enjoyed a delicious meal and then took the shuttle to Kleinhan's. The dinner and door to door service made for a great nightSpecial Features:
- Great food!GkermDined on 9/12/2014Great food and live jazz on Friday nigths. We ordered off the bar menu so we could order a few set dishes to share. We shared the Mac n cheese (amazing!), the South Elmwood burger (also amazing!), and the ribeye sandwich. My half of the sandwich was almost all fat and unedible. I told the waitress when she came to check on us and she told the manager. Both were extremely apologetic and offered us a free dessert. We chose the chocolate peanut butter banana cake and it was by far one of the best desserts I've ever had. Overall a great experience! Music, food, and staff were all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2entertainDined on 9/8/2014Lovely elegant place that is warm and friendly. The staff was great and the food was delicious. The stuffed peppers were amazing and so was the filet mignon. We were a party of 3 and my 2 guests really enjoyed their dinner and they are French foodies. We tried the assortment of desserts and the crème Brule was delicious. However the Brownies were not so great. Definitely a place I would return to next time I visit Buffalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Second VisitRogMDined on 8/29/2014Not as good as our first visit several weeks ago; entre was good not exceptional; long wait for our foodSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantSunnyDined on 8/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinners at 31 Club. I had the BKB salad (I think that was the name) and it was fantastic. We ordered the salmon and steak dinners and were very happy with our meals. We thought the service was very good too. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A consistently great experienceBobbyDined on 8/27/2014This is one of the better restaurants in the Western NY area, and believe me there are many. The food and service is always great and the ambiance is upsacale. The restaurant was very busy on the night we dined there, but they did everything to accomodate us and were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPigletDined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent - but more importantly the service was first rate - ask for Debbie! Used a Groupon and it was very worthwhile and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service!NOTJaniceOkenDined on 8/16/20141. Hostess tipped over the vase on our table when handing us the menus and did not apologize, gave us a napkin to place over the wet area, and did not offer to change the tablecloth or seat us elsewhere. 2. I ordered the special soup of the day, server comes back to say they sold out of it. No problem. Somehow the soup ended up on the bill! No apology given there either. 3. Partner ordered the salad which was supposed to have bacon in it. No bacon. No apology either. 4. The person who we were most impressed with was the "water boy" who kindly lit the candle on the table. Apparently they have a new chef. But this shouldn't have anything to do with the service. Maybe the place is simply going downhill. Never had a problem on previous visits
- New Chef Still Looking for NicheETatBMPDined on 8/16/2014We have dined at 31 Club in the past and enjoyed the great food. On this visit, we were informed that there was a new Executive Chef and a new menu. We loved the previous Chef's Special 5 course meal and loved the salmon and hoped that things weren't too different. We found that it's hit and miss right now. The salmon didn't have the sauce that made the old dish our favorite, but it was moist, flavorful, and very good. The Chicken with Lobster was okay, but the chicken flavor didn't go well with the Lobster Bisque sauce that the lobster was served in. There were too many spices in the lobster bisque, all fighting for your attention. Sometimes, simpler is better. With that said, it's still a nice place for a pre-show or romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic Culinary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014We've been to 31 Club before and enjoyed it, but recently retried it as we had gotten a Groupon. Learned they have a new executive chef and new menu. The food was literally fantastic. Full of flavor, fresh, and cooked to perfection. Try "Jill's Spring Rolls" appetizer with chicken and chorizo sausage. Loved it. The Veal Napolean entree was delicious. All ingredients were fresh and/or homemade. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her Chicken Milanese. I travel to many cities on business and eat in many restaurants, and this is one of the best meals I've had in a while, hands down. If you like fine, flavorful food, you can't go wrong. Only complaint was the service, while good, was a bit slow the night we were there.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCynthiaVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was very good however service was exceptional and would recommend you request Doug as your server.
- New chef, new cuisine, new favoritePersnickety1Dined on 8/2/2014We found 31 Club on the internet. The rating was not great, but we figured it would do in a pinch. The building passes the eye test. The server was helpful, friendly but discrete. The food is American cuisine at its best: brash, daring and utterly dependent on good ingredients. The salmon was naked: its only chance was if the fish was good (it was great). The fresh fig tart was discrete--edible flowers and rosewater complimented black mission figs at their ripest rather than drowning them in syrup. The new chef--who had just redone the menu--turns out to be friendly and adaptive to restricted diets. Do not be put off by mediocre reviews of the old cuisine. This was not a "nothing wrong with it," meal: everything was right with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindrfmllmDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time to dine at 31 club; we came on a recommendation from friends and was not disappointed. We dine on one of the patios it was a pleasant evening, great food well presented with a very pleasant wait staff. Would definitely return will at 31 Club to fine restaurants in Buffalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My ladies pork chop was excellent. Wine choices were excellent. App/tuna tartar was wonderful. Service was superior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night for themTree46Dined on 7/27/2014We went to dinner on a Sunday and the place had little business when we were there. Only 2 other tables were being served, so it was quiet and cozy, that night. It was our first time there so we were disappointed that the head chef was not there because he had hurt himself earlier in the day. Of course, not his fault. The food was above average but not necessarily impressive. My husband had the Lobster and shrimp risotto and it was good, nothing to write home about; and I love all those ingredients. I had a dish that I don't see on the website menu - Eggplant Parmesan. That was very good. The ricotta cheese was delicate and light but rich at the same time. The presentation was lovely. Decor was beautiful. Service was fine.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Our appetizers were excellent. The $44 filet mignon was very disappointing. Perhaps one of the worst filets I have ever had. The accompanying fried potatoes had no flavor.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal!SSBurmasteDined on 7/20/2014We had another fine meal at the 31 Club on Sunday evening. The service was attentive and impeccable. The food was excellent as we have come to expect from them.Special Features:
- Enjoyable!CMaryFDined on 7/19/2014We all had the tasting menu with the wine pairings...it was wonderful. Strongly recommend I; it delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKRISTENDined on 7/19/2014Went for our first anniversary and was wonderful! Food was incredible, along with the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!Foodie5Dined on 7/17/2014Everything about 31 Club made me want to return! The food was absolutely delicious! I had the Shrimp and Lobster Risotto which was simply amazing! My mom had the steak, which I had the pleasure of stealing a bite of, and it was one of the most flavorful steaks I have ever tasted! I would definitely recommend 31 Club! If you are looking for an upscale restaurant with a nice atmosphere, and gourmet food, this is without a doubt the restaurant for you!Special Features:
- Great nite outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great dinner for my daughters birthday. We will return soon! Loved every minute, with outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- PriceyLoralDined on 7/10/2014The food was "good" but I expected better for the price.
- UnimpressedFoodie2VIPDined on 7/9/2014We got the tasting menu because it seemed like a good value and it was our first time there.. Everything was decent, but nothing very exciting or original. Given the price we were surprised to find several old "yellow" pieces of kale in our salad and grapes on the cheese plate that looked about 2 weeks old. Service was good, but they seemed understaffed so it was a bit slow.
- Good restaurant for specialME2014Dined on 7/9/2014occasions. Wait staff can be 'iffy' with service. Sometimes we get a great server, sometimes not.Special Features:
- Great food, service and vibe.zonmanDined on 7/7/2014This is my second visit to 31 CLUB and was even better than my first. It was a Monday night, which should be an "off" night, but the food and service were wonderful. This is certainly one of Buffalo's finer restaurants and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a great meal with excellent service and a class, "no t-shirt and jeans" environment.Special Features:
- The following 300 reviews are from the 31 Club reviews archive.
- What a findDiane0429Dined on 6/29/2014Traveling to the airport and never a fan of chain restaurants, 31 Club is only about 8 miles away and well worth the trip! We started with lobster bisque and beet salad, both were perfect. The lobster bisque was a bit more tomatoe based than I've eaten but perfect for a hot summer night. Next we sampled the lobster mac & cheese and stuffed banana peppers. Again, both dishes were cheesy, well seasoned and delicious. Lobster was plentiful and tender in both the bisque and the bac and cheese! The wine list can not be left out if this review. Being a Napa snob, the Franciscan Chardonnay was chilled and a bargain compared to other venues that charge significantly more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointednodineDined on 6/28/2014I have been to 31 club before and enjoyed my experience. This time around the experience was far from enjoyable. Our food was cold, the service was very slow and inattentive. We also were charged twice on our credit card. I am very upset and extremely unsatisfied and discouraged. I wish I had another chance to try 31 club, but I am very hesitant to try again and paying for something I did not enjoy.