31 North Johnson Park
Buffalo, NY 14201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.the31club.com/
- Phone: 716-332-3131x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Eric Kloss
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private off-site event catering available. Please call for more information
Tricia 716 332-3131 OR email email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful banquet room that can accommodate up to 70 for a sit-down dinner, and up to 100 for a cocktail party.
Main dining room is available for events and can seta up to 36 people.
We also have a smaller dining room with a fireplace that can seat up to 18.
State-of-the art AV available in all three rooms.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Tricia Constable 7163323131x
- Entertainment: Free Live Music every Friday and Saturday at 10pm
- Special Events: 3 - private banquet spaces and off-site catering available.
- Cross Street: Elmwood
- Public Transit: South Elmwood and Johnson Park bus stop. Delaware Avenue and Johnson Park bus stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is ample at the 31 Club. We also offer FREE parking for the theatre and events when you join us for dinner before a show/event
A word from 31 Club
Seated at the corner of South Elmwood and North Johnson Park, the 31 Club is one of Buffalo's finest restaurants located right in the downtown area. From the swanky bar, to the spacious dining and private banquet rooms, a classic name made famous in the 1940s returns to its original, rightful home with a fresh, fashionable face. With a historic background that pre-dates the 1900's 31 Club was the first mayor of Buffalo's home, Ebenezer Johnson served as mayor from May 1832 - March 1833 and then again from 1834 - 1835. His home was known as Johnson Cottage and was a well known place for socializing. Today 31 Club carries on the tradition as a hot spot for who's who in the city and is one of the best places to eat, drink and be seen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
31 Club - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
31 Club reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (39)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (21)neighborhood gem (20)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (13)hot spot (11)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Our Second VisitRogMDined on 8/29/2014Not as good as our first visit several weeks ago; entre was good not exceptional; long wait for our foodSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinners at 31 Club. I had the BKB salad (I think that was the name) and it was fantastic. We ordered the salmon and steak dinners and were very happy with our meals. We thought the service was very good too. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A consistently great experienceBobbyDined on 8/27/2014This is one of the better restaurants in the Western NY area, and believe me there are many. The food and service is always great and the ambiance is upsacale. The restaurant was very busy on the night we dined there, but they did everything to accomodate us and were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPigletDined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent - but more importantly the service was first rate - ask for Debbie! Used a Groupon and it was very worthwhile and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service!NOTJaniceOkenDined on 8/16/20141. Hostess tipped over the vase on our table when handing us the menus and did not apologize, gave us a napkin to place over the wet area, and did not offer to change the tablecloth or seat us elsewhere. 2. I ordered the special soup of the day, server comes back to say they sold out of it. No problem. Somehow the soup ended up on the bill! No apology given there either. 3. Partner ordered the salad which was supposed to have bacon in it. No bacon. No apology either. 4. The person who we were most impressed with was the "water boy" who kindly lit the candle on the table. Apparently they have a new chef. But this shouldn't have anything to do with the service. Maybe the place is simply going downhill. Never had a problem on previous visits
- New Chef Still Looking for NicheETatBMPDined on 8/16/2014We have dined at 31 Club in the past and enjoyed the great food. On this visit, we were informed that there was a new Executive Chef and a new menu. We loved the previous Chef's Special 5 course meal and loved the salmon and hoped that things weren't too different. We found that it's hit and miss right now. The salmon didn't have the sauce that made the old dish our favorite, but it was moist, flavorful, and very good. The Chicken with Lobster was okay, but the chicken flavor didn't go well with the Lobster Bisque sauce that the lobster was served in. There were too many spices in the lobster bisque, all fighting for your attention. Sometimes, simpler is better. With that said, it's still a nice place for a pre-show or romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic Culinary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014We've been to 31 Club before and enjoyed it, but recently retried it as we had gotten a Groupon. Learned they have a new executive chef and new menu. The food was literally fantastic. Full of flavor, fresh, and cooked to perfection. Try "Jill's Spring Rolls" appetizer with chicken and chorizo sausage. Loved it. The Veal Napolean entree was delicious. All ingredients were fresh and/or homemade. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her Chicken Milanese. I travel to many cities on business and eat in many restaurants, and this is one of the best meals I've had in a while, hands down. If you like fine, flavorful food, you can't go wrong. Only complaint was the service, while good, was a bit slow the night we were there.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCynthiaVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was very good however service was exceptional and would recommend you request Doug as your server.
- New chef, new cuisine, new favoritePersnickety1Dined on 8/2/2014We found 31 Club on the internet. The rating was not great, but we figured it would do in a pinch. The building passes the eye test. The server was helpful, friendly but discrete. The food is American cuisine at its best: brash, daring and utterly dependent on good ingredients. The salmon was naked: its only chance was if the fish was good (it was great). The fresh fig tart was discrete--edible flowers and rosewater complimented black mission figs at their ripest rather than drowning them in syrup. The new chef--who had just redone the menu--turns out to be friendly and adaptive to restricted diets. Do not be put off by mediocre reviews of the old cuisine. This was not a "nothing wrong with it," meal: everything was right with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindrfmllmDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time to dine at 31 club; we came on a recommendation from friends and was not disappointed. We dine on one of the patios it was a pleasant evening, great food well presented with a very pleasant wait staff. Would definitely return will at 31 Club to fine restaurants in Buffalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My ladies pork chop was excellent. Wine choices were excellent. App/tuna tartar was wonderful. Service was superior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Our appetizers were excellent. The $44 filet mignon was very disappointing. Perhaps one of the worst filets I have ever had. The accompanying fried potatoes had no flavor.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal!SSBurmasteDined on 7/20/2014We had another fine meal at the 31 Club on Sunday evening. The service was attentive and impeccable. The food was excellent as we have come to expect from them.Special Features:
- Enjoyable!CMaryFDined on 7/19/2014We all had the tasting menu with the wine pairings...it was wonderful. Strongly recommend I; it delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKRISTENDined on 7/19/2014Went for our first anniversary and was wonderful! Food was incredible, along with the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!Foodie5Dined on 7/17/2014Everything about 31 Club made me want to return! The food was absolutely delicious! I had the Shrimp and Lobster Risotto which was simply amazing! My mom had the steak, which I had the pleasure of stealing a bite of, and it was one of the most flavorful steaks I have ever tasted! I would definitely recommend 31 Club! If you are looking for an upscale restaurant with a nice atmosphere, and gourmet food, this is without a doubt the restaurant for you!Special Features:
- Great nite outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great dinner for my daughters birthday. We will return soon! Loved every minute, with outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- PriceyLoralDined on 7/10/2014The food was "good" but I expected better for the price.
- UnimpressedFoodie2VIPDined on 7/9/2014We got the tasting menu because it seemed like a good value and it was our first time there.. Everything was decent, but nothing very exciting or original. Given the price we were surprised to find several old "yellow" pieces of kale in our salad and grapes on the cheese plate that looked about 2 weeks old. Service was good, but they seemed understaffed so it was a bit slow.
- Good restaurant for specialME2014Dined on 7/9/2014occasions. Wait staff can be 'iffy' with service. Sometimes we get a great server, sometimes not.Special Features:
- Great food, service and vibe.zonmanDined on 7/7/2014This is my second visit to 31 CLUB and was even better than my first. It was a Monday night, which should be an "off" night, but the food and service were wonderful. This is certainly one of Buffalo's finer restaurants and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a great meal with excellent service and a class, "no t-shirt and jeans" environment.Special Features:
- What a findDiane0429Dined on 6/29/2014Traveling to the airport and never a fan of chain restaurants, 31 Club is only about 8 miles away and well worth the trip! We started with lobster bisque and beet salad, both were perfect. The lobster bisque was a bit more tomatoe based than I've eaten but perfect for a hot summer night. Next we sampled the lobster mac & cheese and stuffed banana peppers. Again, both dishes were cheesy, well seasoned and delicious. Lobster was plentiful and tender in both the bisque and the bac and cheese! The wine list can not be left out if this review. Being a Napa snob, the Franciscan Chardonnay was chilled and a bargain compared to other venues that charge significantly more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointednodineDined on 6/28/2014I have been to 31 club before and enjoyed my experience. This time around the experience was far from enjoyable. Our food was cold, the service was very slow and inattentive. We also were charged twice on our credit card. I am very upset and extremely unsatisfied and discouraged. I wish I had another chance to try 31 club, but I am very hesitant to try again and paying for something I did not enjoy.
- Disappointedvecchio49VIPDined on 6/27/2014The restaurant has great ambience and character. The service was wonderful. The prices are a bit high for the quality. Both of our dishes, chicken and a pork chop , were over cooked. The place had only a handful of customers so it was not as if the chef was busy. The menu is not very creative with limited and ordinary dishes to choose from.Special Features:
- Great place EVERYtime!K8ieNDined on 6/16/2014Love the look of this place, the super friendly servers, the food is delicious and so many options so all budgets can afford it. Plenty of parking, a wonderful shuttle to various Buffalo events and open on Mondays!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014Higher end prices for Buffalo; still, a good NYC style restaurant. Would refer someone to the 31 if they were celebrating a special occasion. Would suggest requesting a table on the side, not in the middle of the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy 31 ClubBrianmsrDined on 5/31/2014We always enjoy 31 Club and this visit was no different, however service was disappointing this time. We opted to dine outside and glad we did, however our server was inattentive and disappeared for long periods. Red Snapper special was delicious and prepared perfectly. The beet salad special had very little beets! 31 Club is a favorite and we will certainly return.Special Features:
- First time therecamiller368Dined on 5/24/2014We found everything from the staff, the bar and the food to be wonderful. Will certainly go back. The prices were reasonable and the atmosphere very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sloppy wait staffDaveDined on 5/20/2014The food was good, but the wait staff need more training and supervision. I overheard my server trying to explain to another table what risotto was, and clearly had no idea. Also, each time the table was cleared, plates and cutlery almost slid off onto guests' laps - in my case, a steak knife pointy end first. This place has the menu and decor of a sophisticated establishment, but the amateurish wait staff kill whatever ambiance the owner is trying to establish.
- SwankyfamilytravelsDined on 5/11/2014While not much to look at on the outside, Club 31 is a throw back in time to Swanky dining of the past. Lovely, lively but not obnoxious music, especially if you are over 35. We went for mother's day brunch. While not that impressed with the food; it was good but not noteworthy, I'm thinking that the regular menu is better. I will definitely try it again the next time I am in Buffalo. It is very easy to find even if you're not from the area. We received exceptional service. The manager moved us when my mother was unhappy with the table, even though mother's day is one of the busiest restaurant days of the year. Our server was also very attentive and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good Mom's day brunchepieDined on 5/11/2014We were seated in a small room with about 5 tables and one waiter. Excellent service, quiet and intimate. The brunch food was of very good quality. i would return to try the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulDined on 5/6/2014Would appreciate more entrée choices, to include veal, more chicken, another pasta dish, a shrimp only entrée. Dining room was classy for an anniversary dinner. Wanted to have the antipasto appetizer, which I had on a previous visit, but saved appetite for soup, salad and entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!!marmarDined on 5/5/2014The portions here were very generous! We didn't order an app or dessert and we were STUFFED to the brim when we left. I can't wait to go back :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 288 reviews are from the 31 Club reviews archive.
- Dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We had reservations on Saturday 4/26 for 8:15pm. We arrived at 8 to have a drink at the bar prior to dinner. We had checked in with the hostess who said our table was being set up. We waited and checked with the hostess twice about our table which still wasn't ready. It was now 9pm. The manager came over and offered us a round of drinks because of the long wait. We finished those drinks, and another round before finally being seated at 9:50pm. Server was fantastic , however we didn't get our meals until 11pm and they weren't impressive. The ambiance there and the wait staff were great, however our party was compensated for our wait. In the end they were left unimpressed. Thus, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Pack your bagsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Everything was good, if you like taking 3 hours to finish dinner for two. Staff was very apologetic that there was a banquet holding everything up. That's not my problem. Hire more people then, don't take as many reservations, do something, but 3 hours to eat?! And order more steak knives!!!! Had the filet and the server says he'll be right back with a steak knife, comes back to tell me they don't have any clean ones!!! I just can't recommend anybody to this place and it's sad, because it was very nice, food was good and the server was doing his best.Special Features:
- Terrible Food!JakeDined on 4/18/201431 Club is attempting to offer the fine-dining experience, and the presentation of the restaurant does accomplish this, but presentation means nothing if the food is bad. The appetizer (banana peppers) were greasy, salty and seemed to be comprised of cheap Gorgonzola cheese bound together with bread crumbs. The flavor of the cheese was so overwhelming it was inedible. Next came the entrees of Atlantic salmon and strip steak. The Atlantic salmon was so overcooked that is resembled canned tuna fish; at least canned tuna fish has some flavor. The mashed potatoes tasted like a stick of butter rolled in burnt, bitter garlic salt. The steak was ordered medium and was received well-done. Terrible meal, we will never dine there again.
- FantasticDizzyDined on 4/18/2014The restaurants food was delicious the service was fantastic. Our party was seated almost immediately. Great all around experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatplacetocelebrateMypics2dineDined on 4/17/2014First time at 31 Club. Celebrating our 27 anniversary. They gave us 2 glasses complimentary sparkling wine to celebrate. We order Lobster Mac N' Cheese as a starter. So good! The steaks were grilled to perfections. We really enjoyed the atmosphere. The service was great. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catching up with a friend...MidgeDined on 4/17/2014I picked this restaurant; right outside of downtown since my friend and I both work downtown; I thought it would be very convenient; and it was. We had reservations for 6:30pm; we got there around 6pm; found space at the bar to have a cocktail. We were seated promptly at 6:30pm. The restaurant was not very crowded (it was a weeknight.) Our waiter was great, gave us plenty of time to relax and talk (we hadn't seen each other in a couple years.) We ordered the filet and salmon. Both dishes were done to our specifications perfectly. I would definitely go back there again!Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Great place for excellent food and good location to downtown Buffalo. Food was outstanding and the service was matching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.