30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
30 Boltwood Avenue
Amherst, MA 01002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lordjefferyinn.com/
- Phone: 4138352011x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Dino Giordano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small private dining room with round table that seats up to 8 guests. There is also the Greenhouse Room that seats up to 16 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Green 4138352004x
A word from 30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
Inspired by contemporary wine country living, our new full-service restaurant provides an elegant and comfortable atmosphere that embraces the beauty of our natural surroundings. Our enticing menu places a large emphasis on farm-to-table cuisine prepared with natural, farm-fresh local ingredients. The restaurant offers an approachable and creative wine list where each offering is hand selected with the intention of creating the perfect compliment to your meal. During the warm-weather season, outdoor dining is available. Other options at 30Boltwood include a small private dining room for up to 8 guests and our greenhouse room that showcases a common table that seats up to 16 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn - Best Restaurants in Amherst ›
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (16)fit for foodies (15)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Very Pleasant DinnerSKDNYCDined on 7/30/2014I appreciated the off menu plain steak and french fries option for my two sons. Excellent house salad with very fresh local produce. Salmon dish was a little ambitious, but ok. Very pretty interior and welcoming outdoor porch option. Great wait staff. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amherst EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We were visiting Amherst for the weekend, the Lord Jeffery Inn was booked but we were able to dine at 30 Boltwood--such a great meal! Wonderful specialty cocktails, a gorgeous outdoor lounge area and covered porch for dining, inside the dining room is dim, cozy and inviting. The staff were friendly, small but varied menu, high quality ingredients. I had a seafood stew with a nice peppery kick, and we loved the peach galette with peppered caramel! We liked it so much we came back for brunch on Sunday--homemade oatmeal, and eggs benedict with pork shoulder---mmmmm! A real find in Amherst.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014We stayed at the Lord Jeffery Inn for two nights, ate at 30 Boltwood five times while there. The culinary highlight of the weekend was the Farmers Market lunch for those at the Inn on that package, but all the meals were excellent. The wine list is notable and the service especially friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunch!AmherstlocalDined on 7/14/2014I've dined here for dinner before, but never lunch-will definitely return! Waitstaff were attentive but not intrusive. We started with watermelon margaritas, which were refreshing and delicious. The cobb salad was not presented in the traditional "chopped" format, but was still good, served with a very light ranch dressing. There was a selection of sorbets for dessert, which were a perfect end to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDinersDined on 7/10/2014Went there on a thursday night and it was busy but not overly crowded. Was going to have the duck - they were out of it, decided to try the pork loin and they were out of that, too. They only had two beers on draft. They one that I wanted - they just ran out of it. Next I had to wait twenty-five minutes for my second choice beer to be delivered to the table which was located across from the bar. The locally grown salad greens were wilted, my wife's meal did not come with the carrots that were part of her meal. The bread was delivered considerably after the salad was served and consumed. The salmon and the steak were perfectly cooked.
- A Memorable ExperiencetravtodinDined on 7/6/2014This is the second great experience I have had at the Boltwood...The Staff is amazing, well trained, very cordial, yet professional..I was entertaining a guest from Florida in her mid 80's, and I, myself, have two food allergies Gluten and Dairy and we were accommodated on all levels. We were not rushed, we had time for a lovely visit and it was a Sunday afternoon 1:15 Brunch....Thank you Thank you Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014We asked for an outdoor table a day before our reservation and the hostess said she would take care of it. I called back an hour beforehand and the host told me they had us inside. No explanation or trace of apology. Even an "I am sorry we couldn't honor your request" would have been a better response.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeMikeatehereDined on 6/27/2014It was the most expensive meal we have ever had, but it was worth the experience. We were exposed to favors we had never experienced before. We've always wanted to try 30 Boltwood and we are glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricesNutmegDined on 6/27/2014We had heard bad reviews for years but bored of our usual restaurants, we decided to give 30 Boltwood a try. The ambience was great, but the menu was small and the prices were expensive. I got the chicken. The vegetable sides were not good, but I was happy with the chicken. My boyfriend got the rib-eye and ordered it medium rare. It came out well done. He informed the server and the server replied, "Oh, do you want us to make you a new one?" My boyfriend felt bad asking for a new one because the server seemed put out. So he said not to worry about it and ate it anyway. When the bill came out, the server hadn't adjusted the price of the steak at all. We paid full price for everything. We were not impressed and will never eat here again.
- Elegant mealFlipdoggirlDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed every scrumptious bite. Everything was prepared to perfections.Special Features:
- Great!yum1Dined on 5/26/2014Everything was amazing: food, atmosphere and staff. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Meal!jbronner13Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with dinner at 30 Boltwood. We had looked at the menu online and liked what we had seen. Upon receiving our menus we found that the proteins were all the same but the accompaniments were slightly different than listed online to reflect available local, seasonal ingredients. The wines were very reasonably priced and the portion sizes were perfect (some might consider the portion sizes small but given the richness of the food the serving size was appropriate). Additionally, the server gave us a dessert medley on the house since it was our anniversary. Our experience was excellent start to finish and we will certainly dine here again.Special Features:
- Unexpected Find!MHCalumsVIPDined on 5/18/2014Beautiful urban chic redo of a historic Inn. Food was unexpectedly reasonably priced and excellent. Presentation could use a little work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatCulinaryKateDined on 5/17/2014Lovely dining room and outdoor seating. Food was presented beautifully and three of five of us loved our meals. My husband's steak was undercooked and his eggs over cooked. They cheerfully brought him a new plate and it was much better. The eggs Benedict suffered from too little hollandaise and the pulled pork that served as the ham/bacon was bland. Desserts were yummy and innovative. I'd give the place another chance to wow me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommyDined on 5/9/2014Very nice setting, however portions were too small. Not what we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A charming return to 30 Bolwood.JeanneVIPDined on 5/2/201430 Boltwood continues to be consistently wonderful with creative dishes and spectacular wait staff. Best restaurant in Amherst,MA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricy for what you getBWJ3Dined on 4/26/2014The food is good, but at these prices I expect better. The outside dinning is very nice and drinks around the fire pits is a real nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 122 reviews are from the 30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn reviews archive.
- Fantastic Easter BrunchMamsterDined on 4/20/2014Wonderful food and selection of entree choices. The brunch began with a buffet that we would have been perfectly content with on its own, followed by a choice of entree and dessert. My only quibble would be that the entree choices were skewed more toward dinner items (lamb) than breakfast (eggs benedict) and we were there in the morning, but honestly, if you couldn't find something you liked that would be your problem. A+++++, Would go again!Special Features:
- American Gourmet in AmherstViMausVIPDined on 4/19/2014Fresh ingredients wonderfully prepared in a spacious and comfortable setting. Outstanding cocktails. Very gracious service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service not so muchfosterDined on 4/19/2014The Boltwood is a very nice restaurant next to Amherst College. Our reception was cordial (including letting us pick a nicer table) and the friendly female bartenders made my wife and me lovely cocktails. The food was quite tasty, esp the duck and salmon entrees and the choc soufflé for desert. Unfortunately we had a bad waiter (and in this relatively small restaurant his managers surprisingly did not pick up on this). It was nearly 20 mins before we first saw him, he exhibited little enthusiasm or knowledge when we ordered, only five of our six entrees came out at the same time for which there was no apology or even acknowledgment. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014We had a terrific evening of great food and wine. Staff was friendly and welcoming from our greeting at the door, throughout the meal and then afterward, as we stayed at our table and talked, long after the check had been paid. Our reservations were for7:30, but we did not leave the restaurant until 12:00. Our waiter continued to refill our water glasses and treated us consistently for as long as we stayed. We will certainly return to this friendly place, not only for the spectacular food, but also for the friendly staff.Special Features:
- Creative, versatile gemPattiPDined on 4/18/2014Out of towners who needed a nice place to dine and this restaurant was accommodating and welcoming. Menu very interesting and service was impeccable. The hostess was wonderful.Special Features:
- Creative food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014I loved the creative touches to the menu. The "Spring dug parsnip cake" was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 Boltwood is Impressive!food4thoughDined on 4/15/2014I visited 30 Boltwood with my family and a few friends and had a great time. As a long time vegetarian who has eaten in many different settings I found the variety of vegetarian options to be quite good. The waiters were very kind and attentive to our needs, and the noise level in the restaurant was such that it was easy to hold a conversation without distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingBaltimoreVIPDined on 4/13/2014Delicious local New England produce, fish & meats. Run by students at Amhurat College and UMass. A charming gem in the middle of the town square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!JerryMcGuireVIPDined on 4/13/2014This is a great place to eat or just have high quality wine or spirit. The historical significance and story around the renovation adds to the experience. The bartender, servers, and even floor manager were delightful. All of the food was thoughtfully prepared and on point. We were in town from DC to visit Amherst College.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fine Dining ExperienceDWalkDined on 4/5/2014Each course was expertly prepared and presented. 30 Boltwood is a fine dining experience, not just a place to have dinner.Special Features:
- My Experience At 30 BoltwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014I recently dined and enjoyed my 5th anniversary on March 30th 2014. We was greeted by a very friendly and courteous host who was willing to service us with smile. We enjoyed our food in a seamless environment that made us feel not as a customer but at a guest. Price was not an issue for the quality surpasses your taste buds. A+ to the friendly staff. A+ to the new manager who was professional, attentive, and delivered great hospitality. Thank you for making our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerdinersx4Dined on 3/29/20144 of us recently visited on a Saturday evening..not especially busy..food was just ok... the portions were small for the price of the dinners $24-$32..salads extra..30 Boltwood was a topic of discussion at hairdresser yesterday...several people had gone there and they all said the same thing..not going back for above reasons.. We used to go there all the time -we liked food and pub atmosphere at Boltwood Tavern..30 Boltwood..kinda on the pretentious side for a college town. Have been there for breakfast and lunch--both meals more reasonable---if you don't get a parking ticket!Special Features:
- Yummy and LovelyDreamshopperDined on 3/28/2014The decor is lovely: warm and elegant. The food is particularly good. I am a vegetarian and had a very imaginative and tasty dish, the name of which I don't recall. However, no matter what you eat, this is gourmet. I loved the little "amuse" (a tiny hors d'oeuvre) that was brought to the table as part of their normal presentation. Go. It's worth the price, which is on the high side.Special Features:
- Dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014This was a special dinner out evening for two. The food and service were very good.Special Features:
- New and improvedTomFromAmherstDined on 2/28/2014We met 10 years ago for a drink at the Lord Jeff. Friday night we celebrated with a delightful meal. Everything was perfect. We've traveled to many places in the world in 10 years and having 30 Boltwood right here is a grand delight. The chief has to be congratulated it was beyond our expectations.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceFrequentFoodieDined on 2/22/2014From the warm and cozy yet contemporary atmosphere to the impeccable and attentive service, 30 Boltwood is a true fine dining experience. With the freshest ingredients expertly prepared, each course stimulates all your senses. 30 Boltwood is the only restaurant in our area that rivals the finest establishments in Manhattan, Los Angeles and Paris. We will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2014we totally enjoyed this restaurant. It couldn't be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014My family and I came here for lunch after visiting the Eric Carle Museum and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious!! The service was quite slow at times but it was ok because we were busy watching the snow storm through their beautiful windows. Staff was very friendly. We will definitely be back if we ever make it back to Amherst!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great MeallovegoodfoodDined on 2/1/2014The food was delicious and beautifully presented...the best meal I've had in the Valley in years. The whole dining experience was relaxed and nurturing.Special Features:
- Highly recommended.TheTravelingTomVIPDined on 1/31/2014From start to finish, my wife, daughter and I had an amazing dining experience...made all the more so by the wonderful and attentive staff at 30Boltwood and the soothingly-designed upscale atmosphere. Everyone here has a solicitous helpfulness that goes beyond merely practiced professionalism, and is truly friendly. On to the food: it was hard to choose from the great-sounding selections offered on the brief but varied menu. Clearly the Chef has carefully put together a variety of dishes that can be made individually as ordered...and there seemed something here that would appeal to any discerning diner. I hope it shows that we can't wait to return to 30Boltwood, because it's true!! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bad stepARegularDined on 1/15/2014I frequently go to this restaurant and I am a fan. Typically it has innovative and delicious vegetarian dishes on the menu. This makes the restaurant a good choice when dining with both meat eaters and vegetarians. This dinner was an exception. A lovely sounding winter vegetable stew showed up not very stew-like (too dry) and with a lack of any real flavor. The combinations for the stew had great promise but the execution failed. A salmon dish with lentils was VERY salty. The dining room was hosting a group of about 8 in a small room off the main dining room. The party was VERY loud and the structure of the room magnified the sound making dinner unpleasant. Management should have requested the group quiet down. A bad night.
- My first visit to New Boltwood DinnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014The most negative thing was we were to close to other dinners. No Privacy at all. Tables were to close to each other. Take out a table were this occurs & that would do it. Salads were very skimpy for the price Bread basket was excellent. Food was a little skimpy for price but very good in taste & presentation TySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EverestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013The menu needs more choices. There should be more common items. The portions are too small. They should include a salad with each entree.