30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
30 Boltwood Avenue
Amherst, MA 01002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lordjefferyinn.com/
- Phone: (413) 835-2011
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Dino Giordano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small private dining room with round table that seats up to 8 guests. There is also the Greenhouse Room that seats up to 16 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Green 4138352004x
A word from 30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn
Inspired by contemporary wine country living, our new full-service restaurant provides an elegant and comfortable atmosphere that embraces the beauty of our natural surroundings. Our enticing menu places a large emphasis on farm-to-table cuisine prepared with natural, farm-fresh local ingredients. The restaurant offers an approachable and creative wine list where each offering is hand selected with the intention of creating the perfect compliment to your meal. During the warm-weather season, outdoor dining is available. Other options at 30Boltwood include a small private dining room for up to 8 guests and our greenhouse room that showcases a common table that seats up to 16 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn - Best Restaurants in Amherst ›
30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)fit for foodies (21)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Overwhelmed server, uninspired menuBostonianDined on 11/9/2014Dined here for brunch on a weekend morning. Servers unorganized and unresponsive. Our party was seated without sufficient silverwear and it took multiple requests to obtain another fork. Every request (ie: salt and pepper, coffee, sugar, etc) required multiple reminders as our server was forgetful and appeared overwhelmed. Perhaps this was due to an unexpected crowd, but it was disappointing nonetheless. Brunch menu was nothing special: pancakes, eggs, bagels, etc. I expected more from the Boltwood considering it is housed in a fine inn.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceelishevaDined on 11/6/2014My first time eating at 30 Boltwood and it was wonderful. The host and waitresses were all very nice and gladly offered up suggestions. The chef, Rich, was so kind and came out to our table. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten and the Brooklyn Julep was made wonderfully. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BridgewaterDined on 11/2/2014Looking for a nice place for a Sunday brunch before attending an event at UMass. Wanted somewhere that had reservations. Pleasantly surprised. Everything was SO GOOD. I recommend The Lord Jeffery Inn to anyone visiting AmherstSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/201430 Boltwood was a wonderful venue for a special lunch with a retiring colleague. Service professional, courteous, and prompt. Food selection suited all. A gracious event.Special Features:
- Perfect Weekend CapperWe8hereDined on 10/26/2014My family and I visited 30 Boltwood for Sunday brunch following a weekend of activities at UMass. The atmosphere is elegant but very comfortable. The food and service were great. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very warm and cozy with good foodILikeRealFoodDined on 10/21/2014Warm and cozy with excellent food. Scallops were delicious. Waitress was attentive and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchOmNomMomVIPDined on 10/18/2014We wanted a place near our daughter's college (Mount Holyoke) that took reservations. Surprisingly, none of the places in Northampton or other areas do - except 30 Boltwood. We were very pleasantly surprised that they did - and we had an excellent meal. We were a group of 5 and were seated at a large round table in a nice windowed alcove area. Nice tablecloths, big coffee cups. Food choices, while somewhat more limited (this is not a buffet brunch) were very good. A few of our party had lunch items (grilled ham/cheese with fig jam, squash with quinoa) others had breakfast items (bagel and lox, eggs and steak) We were offered coffee promptly, and the entrees came out quickly too. All very good. Prices were quite reasonable.Special Features:
- 30 boltwoodUMass78Dined on 10/17/2014Cocktails were original, outstanding. Salads were good and fresh. Entrees were original, tasty, but portions were small, leaving a couple of us hungry later that night. The outdoor fireplace seating area makes for a convivial, friendly touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where to eat when in Amherst....knittykittyDined on 10/16/2014It's a sure bet - just had duck confit - with side of brussel sprouts and potatoes - divine for a fall early evening. The service is excellent. Kyla, the manager is a gemSpecial Features:
- Rare delightFourseasonsDined on 10/7/2014Crisp and classy ambience, quality food artistically created, warm, efficient service. Quiet enough for conversation, we will definitely return for great food in a tastefully appointed room. We also enjoyed a relaxing prelude in the lovely, comfortable Lord Jeff lobby waiting for our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but mixed opinion in groupAnneDined on 9/20/2014I loved the restaurant . It is beautiful, so pretty, calm, sophisticated...... staff were so so nice and accommodating. Two of us thought every morsel of food was spectacular. The third person was very disappointed in his steak...gristle, fat... it was not enjoyable. The drinks from the bar were excellent, and also the wine. I think price-wise it was a good value for the food and drinks.. My pork was perfectly done as was our other companion's duck---- she raved about the duck. Boltwood is a very special place and I do want to returnSpecial Features:
- Second time's the charmJudyVIPDined on 9/20/2014We celebrated my birthday at 30 Boltwood, with very good food, great service and warm ambiance! We had gone to the Boltwood about three years ago, shortly after it opened, and were a bit disappointed with the food. Now three years later, we decided to try again because the reviews online have been very good and we had liked everything else about it--the ambiance, the location. And this time we were rewarded because everything was great! We liked the mushroom amuse bouche very much, the squash and the seafood starters were tasty and inventive, and the entrees were equally good. And we loved the desserts too! Our server, Andrew, gave us just the right amount of friendly attentiveness. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Terrific experience in AmherstDelawareDinerDined on 9/7/2014We met our daughter and her friends (students at a local college) for drinks and dinner at 30 Boltwood. The staff was attentive and helpful as we moved from relaxed cocktails on the patio (with delicious charcuterie) to the dining room. Everyone's entree was well-prepared and interesting. Service was outstanding both during dinner and when we (the parents) returned for breakfast the next day. We would highly recommend.Special Features:
- AttentiveLJI3Dined on 9/6/2014Friendly, attentive and attractive surroundings and staff. Food was quite good and not too pricey. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never tire of BoltwoodknittykittyDined on 9/2/2014...when I am in the Norhtampton-Amherst are this is my go-to place....the staff is fabulous....the food is inventive and delicious!Special Features:
- Keegan EadkeeeadDined on 8/20/2014Service was top notch. Food was great, especially salmon. Oh god. So good. A nice night out.Special Features:
- The following 139 reviews are from the 30 Boltwood - The Lord Jeffery Inn reviews archive.
- Very Pleasant DinnerSKDNYCDined on 7/30/2014I appreciated the off menu plain steak and french fries option for my two sons. Excellent house salad with very fresh local produce. Salmon dish was a little ambitious, but ok. Very pretty interior and welcoming outdoor porch option. Great wait staff. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amherst EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We were visiting Amherst for the weekend, the Lord Jeffery Inn was booked but we were able to dine at 30 Boltwood--such a great meal! Wonderful specialty cocktails, a gorgeous outdoor lounge area and covered porch for dining, inside the dining room is dim, cozy and inviting. The staff were friendly, small but varied menu, high quality ingredients. I had a seafood stew with a nice peppery kick, and we loved the peach galette with peppered caramel! We liked it so much we came back for brunch on Sunday--homemade oatmeal, and eggs benedict with pork shoulder---mmmmm! A real find in Amherst.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014We stayed at the Lord Jeffery Inn for two nights, ate at 30 Boltwood five times while there. The culinary highlight of the weekend was the Farmers Market lunch for those at the Inn on that package, but all the meals were excellent. The wine list is notable and the service especially friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunch!AmherstlocalDined on 7/14/2014I've dined here for dinner before, but never lunch-will definitely return! Waitstaff were attentive but not intrusive. We started with watermelon margaritas, which were refreshing and delicious. The cobb salad was not presented in the traditional "chopped" format, but was still good, served with a very light ranch dressing. There was a selection of sorbets for dessert, which were a perfect end to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDinersDined on 7/10/2014Went there on a thursday night and it was busy but not overly crowded. Was going to have the duck - they were out of it, decided to try the pork loin and they were out of that, too. They only had two beers on draft. They one that I wanted - they just ran out of it. Next I had to wait twenty-five minutes for my second choice beer to be delivered to the table which was located across from the bar. The locally grown salad greens were wilted, my wife's meal did not come with the carrots that were part of her meal. The bread was delivered considerably after the salad was served and consumed. The salmon and the steak were perfectly cooked.
- A Memorable ExperiencetravtodinDined on 7/6/2014This is the second great experience I have had at the Boltwood...The Staff is amazing, well trained, very cordial, yet professional..I was entertaining a guest from Florida in her mid 80's, and I, myself, have two food allergies Gluten and Dairy and we were accommodated on all levels. We were not rushed, we had time for a lovely visit and it was a Sunday afternoon 1:15 Brunch....Thank you Thank you Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014We asked for an outdoor table a day before our reservation and the hostess said she would take care of it. I called back an hour beforehand and the host told me they had us inside. No explanation or trace of apology. Even an "I am sorry we couldn't honor your request" would have been a better response.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeMikeatehereDined on 6/27/2014It was the most expensive meal we have ever had, but it was worth the experience. We were exposed to favors we had never experienced before. We've always wanted to try 30 Boltwood and we are glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricesNutmegDined on 6/27/2014We had heard bad reviews for years but bored of our usual restaurants, we decided to give 30 Boltwood a try. The ambience was great, but the menu was small and the prices were expensive. I got the chicken. The vegetable sides were not good, but I was happy with the chicken. My boyfriend got the rib-eye and ordered it medium rare. It came out well done. He informed the server and the server replied, "Oh, do you want us to make you a new one?" My boyfriend felt bad asking for a new one because the server seemed put out. So he said not to worry about it and ate it anyway. When the bill came out, the server hadn't adjusted the price of the steak at all. We paid full price for everything. We were not impressed and will never eat here again.
- Elegant mealFlipdoggirlDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed every scrumptious bite. Everything was prepared to perfections.Special Features:
- Great!yum1Dined on 5/26/2014Everything was amazing: food, atmosphere and staff. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Meal!jbronner13Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with dinner at 30 Boltwood. We had looked at the menu online and liked what we had seen. Upon receiving our menus we found that the proteins were all the same but the accompaniments were slightly different than listed online to reflect available local, seasonal ingredients. The wines were very reasonably priced and the portion sizes were perfect (some might consider the portion sizes small but given the richness of the food the serving size was appropriate). Additionally, the server gave us a dessert medley on the house since it was our anniversary. Our experience was excellent start to finish and we will certainly dine here again.Special Features:
- Unexpected Find!MHCalumsVIPDined on 5/18/2014Beautiful urban chic redo of a historic Inn. Food was unexpectedly reasonably priced and excellent. Presentation could use a little work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatCulinaryKateDined on 5/17/2014Lovely dining room and outdoor seating. Food was presented beautifully and three of five of us loved our meals. My husband's steak was undercooked and his eggs over cooked. They cheerfully brought him a new plate and it was much better. The eggs Benedict suffered from too little hollandaise and the pulled pork that served as the ham/bacon was bland. Desserts were yummy and innovative. I'd give the place another chance to wow me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommyDined on 5/9/2014Very nice setting, however portions were too small. Not what we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A charming return to 30 Bolwood.JeanneVIPDined on 5/2/201430 Boltwood continues to be consistently wonderful with creative dishes and spectacular wait staff. Best restaurant in Amherst,MA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricy for what you getBWJ3Dined on 4/26/2014The food is good, but at these prices I expect better. The outside dinning is very nice and drinks around the fire pits is a real nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Easter BrunchMamsterDined on 4/20/2014Wonderful food and selection of entree choices. The brunch began with a buffet that we would have been perfectly content with on its own, followed by a choice of entree and dessert. My only quibble would be that the entree choices were skewed more toward dinner items (lamb) than breakfast (eggs benedict) and we were there in the morning, but honestly, if you couldn't find something you liked that would be your problem. A+++++, Would go again!Special Features:
- American Gourmet in AmherstViMausVIPDined on 4/19/2014Fresh ingredients wonderfully prepared in a spacious and comfortable setting. Outstanding cocktails. Very gracious service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service not so muchfosterDined on 4/19/2014The Boltwood is a very nice restaurant next to Amherst College. Our reception was cordial (including letting us pick a nicer table) and the friendly female bartenders made my wife and me lovely cocktails. The food was quite tasty, esp the duck and salmon entrees and the choc soufflé for desert. Unfortunately we had a bad waiter (and in this relatively small restaurant his managers surprisingly did not pick up on this). It was nearly 20 mins before we first saw him, he exhibited little enthusiasm or knowledge when we ordered, only five of our six entrees came out at the same time for which there was no apology or even acknowledgment. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014We had a terrific evening of great food and wine. Staff was friendly and welcoming from our greeting at the door, throughout the meal and then afterward, as we stayed at our table and talked, long after the check had been paid. Our reservations were for7:30, but we did not leave the restaurant until 12:00. Our waiter continued to refill our water glasses and treated us consistently for as long as we stayed. We will certainly return to this friendly place, not only for the spectacular food, but also for the friendly staff.Special Features:
- Creative, versatile gemPattiPDined on 4/18/2014Out of towners who needed a nice place to dine and this restaurant was accommodating and welcoming. Menu very interesting and service was impeccable. The hostess was wonderful.Special Features:
- Creative food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014I loved the creative touches to the menu. The "Spring dug parsnip cake" was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 Boltwood is Impressive!food4thoughDined on 4/15/2014I visited 30 Boltwood with my family and a few friends and had a great time. As a long time vegetarian who has eaten in many different settings I found the variety of vegetarian options to be quite good. The waiters were very kind and attentive to our needs, and the noise level in the restaurant was such that it was easy to hold a conversation without distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.