3 Doors Down
1429 SE 37th
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
3 Doors Down
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.3doorsdowncafe.com/
- Phone: 5032366886
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar 11:00 pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Marth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from 3 Doors Down
Inclusive from the moment you grace the doorway, 3 Doors Down has a keen acumen for speeding up your wind down, flipping the switch from maddening day to welcoming respite. A playful, thoughtful, and engaging dining experience begins with the dynamic wine list (including prosecco on tap and barrel to bar wines by the glass), flowing effortlessly to the inventive starters, big bowls of pasta and shellfish, perfectly grilled fish and meats and our spaghetti and meatball Sunday suppers. 3 Doors Down offers a doff of the hat to Mother Italy and a harmonious affair with locally procured Pacific Northwest and American cuisine. Come in, sit down, and eat! Reservations are for dining only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
3 Doors Down - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
3 Doors Down reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (23)notable wine list (15)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A superb Dining ExperienceTonyDined on 9/13/2014I tried 3 Doors Down after reading the reviews. We need a nice spot for a quick dinner before a show. Let me just the 3 Door Down exceeded our expectations. This restaurant provides a stark contrast to the eclectic restaurants that you find in SE PDX. However, they still manage to retain the SE PDX charm. The service, atmosphere and furnishings are first class. It's located on the side street which provides a great atmosphere for outside dining. The food is the Best flat out...Fresh ingredients, a well rounded menu and prepared excellent. My wide loves salmon and is very fussy about the preparation. Her salmon arrived medium perfectly cooked throughout. I had their double cut pork chop which was also prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met Expectations and MoredinnerinpdxDined on 9/12/2014We wanted to eat at an Italian restaurant and although I wouldn't characterize this as a restaurant with traditional Italian dishes I would go back in a heartbeat. We were greeted promptly and in a friendly manner. Our waiter was awesome, recommended an excellent wine for me and was attentive but not intrusive. Food was delicious from appetizers through dessert and flow of the meal was perfect. We had gnocchi, rabbit and pork chops at our table and each and every dish was prepared very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Italian FoodTravelingmanVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the addictive bean dip through salad and main courses the food was consistently high quality and extremely well prepared. Our server was helpful but not intrusive. If you appreciate fine Italian fare , this is a most try.Special Features:
- Great portion sizeIndyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Salad very good and the Alaskan king salmon was outstanding. Cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawthorne, really?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014I honestly never would have thought this cuisine was available in Hawthorne. Don't get me wrong Hawthorne has many tasty gems, but this place was OUT OF THIS WORLD yummy! My daughter ordered the pork chop and mashed potatoes and I ordered the skirt steak with blue cheese butter. I live in Tacoma and am thinking about taking my husband there for date night. Our server was very helpful, friendly and I never felt like she was trying to rush us out of our table. From start to finish it was a perfect meal! If I was going to request anything be different, I would suggest having more dessert items that do not have a white chocolate component. Would have loved to have tried the torte or bread pudding but they both had white chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattipattiDined on 8/22/2014love this restaurant. brought diverse group with me and all were so happy with all the delicious flavors we ordered. the delicate pasta dishes are amazing. we will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food, serviceChestermanDined on 8/9/2014This is our favorite place in PDX. Very attentive service, creative specials and reliable regular menu entries, such as the killer vodka sauce. Only criticism is the noise -- way too loud for normal conversation. Not sure what can be done about it except requesting a table outside and praying for decent weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!JimnPaulVIPDined on 8/2/2014We brought a friend from Anchorage to 3 Doors Down to enjoy some of the finest food in Portland. We received outstanding service, quality of food, and fun time that we always experience! This year marks 11 years that I have been eating at 3 Doors Down! What a gem!Special Features:
- Another good mealDavidDined on 7/11/2014Our second time there and once again it did not disappoint. The good was great. I had the stuffed squid and linguine special was delicious. My wife and I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014We were warmly welcomed, promptly seated and expertly attended to. The food was delicious and perfectly prepared. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerLeafpeeper2dayVIPDined on 6/29/20143 Doors Down was a weekly visit when we lived in Portland years ago. It continues to be an amazing dining experience. The food, service, and ambiance is spot-on. The roasted corn, asparagus herbed chevre cheese risotto was wonderful. It was perfectly presented with an abundance of flavor. The asparagus was perfectly cooked. Yum.Special Features:
- So consistentPastaheavenDined on 6/26/2014I have been client here since it opened.The level of creativity ,taste and service have never faltered.We live in. CT close to NY and Boston known as food havens, 3 Doors is up to the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningCathyDined on 6/26/2014Dinner was tasty, service was great. Love having this restaurant in our neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My family of four had dinner at this restaurant on a Saturday night in June. It was busy and lively but not packed. The servers were attentive but not intrusive. We started with two appetizers the asparagus and the radicchio. Loved the asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and both of my children 11 and 13 loved it as well. The radicchio was also good but was a bit too bitter. We then shared a wonderful ceasar salad. I had a homemade pasta special. It was a fettuccine with paprika and a wonderful sauce. It was excellent! I would definitely try any homemade pasta. My family enjoyed their meals as well. We would go back. Oh and the white wine they have on tap is wonderful as well. Who would have guessed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new find in SEfredsmarinaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Can't believe it has been in business for 19 years and this was our first time there. It was fabulous on all counts. Cannot wait to go back. Another "go to" Italian restaurant for amazing food.Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 6/18/2014Food us consistently good and the service is consistently the best. we have enjoyed 3 Doors Down for years and plan on enjoying for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Doors an old friendPablo57VIPDined on 6/15/2014We had not been to 3 Doors Down for quite some time. Now that it is on Open Table and the dining room layout much improved we decided it was time. The food here has always been very good, not only for imagination and excellent balance of choices, but from a value standpoint as well. This trip was on Fathers Day and yet the room though very busy was still totally under control. Service was terrific and thoughtful and dinner just fine. The risotto was a real stand out! It was really nice being back....Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysBabsyDined on 6/14/2014We are frequent guests at 3 Doors Down and the food never disappoints. Flavorful, thoughtful menu. Great service. Nice for special occasions, just dining out...Special Features:
- Tried to like it... again.July29thDined on 6/13/20143 Doors was my husband and my first date, so we really want to like it. However, this was our 3rd time back and we've concluded that the food is just not all that. The Liver pâté was the best thing we had. Nice portion, good flavor / texture. The razor clams were ok, but we both agreed they were VERY fishy. Big disappointment in the lamb pasta special and the ground chicken orecchiette. Both yuck. My orecchiette was HEAVILY over salted and the ground chicken in it was just weird. I've had better Costco pasta. The lamb special had peas that were so al dente that they seemed raw. Conversly, the mushrooms were soggy and the lamb was extremely fatty. We always take our leftovers home but these never went in the doggy bag.
- Delicious Meal!MartreseDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our meal - the food, the atmosphere, (my Amalfi cocktail!!!). We liked sitting at the 2-top window table, but it meant being sandwiched in behind a larger table, tough for the server to comfortable get to us. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 231 reviews are from the 3 Doors Down reviews archive.
- FineDinahDined on 5/16/2014Love the white bean spread with the pugliese bread. Favorites are their seared scallops, their beet salad, the carpaccio and the pasta with sausage and vodka sauce. This place is like an old friend, comfortable and consistently wonderful.Special Features:
- BBABBBDined on 5/15/2014Staff was very accommodating. Very pleasant evening. Lucky with early parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall AAAterarymDined on 5/6/2014I met with four orher women for our monthly book group. The service was wonderful. Our server was friendly, prompt, and had excellent recommendations. We had a stunning '08 Amarone, and the appetizers were delicious. The pate was the best I've ever had. My pasta Bolognese was lovely, bit a bit too rich. It would be nice to have a simply-sauced pasta with an appetizer-heavy meal. Cannoli dessert was just right. I enjoyed the room-it was pleasant and not loud. I will come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Wonderful food and fantastic service, I wish I could eat here more than my once a year visit to Portland.Special Features:
- 3 Doors Down, not for vegansVegansEatOutDined on 4/25/2014As the sole vegan at our table I was surprised that 3 Doors Down has not created at least one dish that would satisfy the growing vegan population in Portland. The three carnivores at our table raved about delicious meals, while I sat with a pile of braised greens and a plate of cold roasted beets. To be fair to the chef, they were excellently prepared and satisfied me in quantity and flavor, but the ordering process was clumsy with me asking for vegan options and having the server regale me with the gluten-free pastas (none of which were egg free). The server seemed dismissive of my concern and was relieved when I suggested they just pull the braised greens from out of one of the entrees for me and prepare them without butter. Fail.
- 3 thumbs up for 3 doors downselectivedinerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Dinner can be a full course meal or a few select appetizers; in either case the food is first class. The staff can tweak your order so that it reflects your exact preference. They honored our request with a table situated for a special conversation. I had the duck confit upon lentils appetizer with a Caeser salad. My companion had the evening special: grilled fresh halibut with cous cous and veggies. Great wine. No room for dessert but we we're welcome to stay and converse until we were ready to go. Hated to leave and can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite neighborhood spot!TariVIPDined on 4/19/2014We stop in at least twice a month, sometimes more often. Great food, and even better staff. Attentive, knowledgeable, welcoming. They know their stuff, and can accommodate even the most challenging food restrictions. Always delivering a masterpiece! Eager for my next trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken liver page isdinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014The chicken liver page is the best in portland. I had the vodka sauce pasta. Superb. Mjy wife had a very good halibut. Desert was sumptuous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great find!MCRydzewskiDined on 4/1/20143 Doors Down always greats you with a smile, excellent knowledge about their menu, suggestions should you need them because you are overwhelmed with their fabulous menu, and a great calm yet uplifting ambiance. As in you can kick back or get a little rowdy. It was a great spot for a birthday gathering! They also keep true to your reservation and try to accommodate your special requests---I know, because I ask for particular tables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianNewinPDXDined on 3/30/2014Small and snug. Outstanding food and service. Lengthy wine list covering most regions of the world Will be in our rotation of preferred restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/28/2014I've heard amazing things about this restaurant and, while it was very good, I wasn't blown away. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable, the food was very good with perfect bread for the table (although I prefer balsamic and olive oil instead of hummus with the bread) and my dish (a seafood dish like cioppino over pasta) was solid but slightly bland and one of the mussels tasted "off". The ambience was nice with warm colors and candles but we felt a little cramped and had to move our tables ourselves to be able to sit in the chairs. All in all a good experience with a few minor flaws that prompted 4 instead of 5 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good diningRonsfeedbackDined on 3/28/2014We went with friends taking advantage of a 3 course meal for $29.00. Everyone in our party was very satisfied with the offering.Special Features:
- Tasty PastaSeniorDinerVIPDined on 3/26/2014My spouse and I tried this Portland neighborhood spot for an early dinner before a show. We were the first to dine at 5pm. We ordered a risotto and bolognese dish that was nicely prepared, hot from the kitchen and very tasty. Smoked beets were a small but good appetizer to start and the banana crème pie was an excellent way to finish the meal. I would come back again when in Portland and have a craving for more excellent pasta.Special Features:
- ExcellentdaaaabVIPDined on 3/23/2014In the Hawthorne District, everything we tried was perfect. On Sunday, try their spaghetti and meatball special. The meatballs are simmered all day.Special Features:
- So worth a visit!MsShelby13Dined on 3/21/2014Though I'd been to 3 Doors Down several times for happy hour before, this was my first time for dinner & my date's first time at all. We both had an excellent experience. Jeff was very attentive and knowledgeable, the food was amazing! Probably would have given 5 stars if not for the quite loud environment. It's got great subtle lighting, which I thought was perfect for a date, it was just hard to hear each other at times. We were there on a weekend night in the midst of dinner rush, however, and given the restaurant's layout the noise factor really couldn't be helped. In any event, a great dinner spot & an awesome happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerJoshDined on 3/21/2014Needed a good meal out, as it had been awhile, so I decided to finally check out Three Doors Down cafe... Jackie (sp?) was our server, and she was a delight - very friendly, always there to fill our wine glasses, and gave us just the right amount of attention. I'm a firm believer that, aside from the food, it's the service that seperates the very good/great restaurants from the good ones... We never felt rushed, courses came out at a nice pace, finished dishes were removed promptly, and our water glasses were always kept full. We devoured: the gnocchi, crustini, shared a caesar salad, seafood fetuccini, short ribs, bocca negra, tiramisu, a bottle of cab, and a port with dessert... Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborly and deliciousluvbeerDined on 3/18/2014Ben was our waiter this evening. He was very knowledgeable of the cocktails, wine and menu. Four of us ordered the special dining out month menu and it was delicious. The fifth person in our party had the pork loin and it looked amazing. The special cocktail of the evening was delicious, the wine choice went well with the meal. Three Doors is small and intimate but friendly and neighborhood oriented. This was my second time to eat here, and all of our party agreed they would return for another meal. It was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and attentive!BarbDined on 3/15/2014We so enjoyed our experience at 3 Doors Down. We took advantage of Portland Dining Month and the menu was delicious and satisfying. Our server was attentive and when she erred on one of our entrees, she quickly made adjustments and was apologetic. The restaurant was very accommodating to my 93 year old mother, even though we did have to wait about 10 minutes before a table was ready. The noise level is a bit high but we will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food great serviceJeanDined on 3/15/2014Loved 3 doors down. Tried it with Portland Dinning month and was not disappointed. Loved the eggplant fritters with spicy tomato. The service was outstanding. Would recommend this restaurant to friends. One drawback parking in the Hawthorn area is the pits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/20143 Doors Down had been recommended many years ago, and the rating on OpenTable got us to finally go. We went during Portland Dining Month, and tried all different dishes, so we had a broad variety of items. The food was good, nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't great. I don't think we will go back. Too many other restaurants that are better.Special Features: