3 Doors Down
1429 SE 37th
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
3 Doors Down
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.3doorsdowncafe.com/
- Phone: (503) 236-6886
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar 11:00 pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Marth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from 3 Doors Down
Inclusive from the moment you grace the doorway, 3 Doors Down has a keen acumen for speeding up your wind down, flipping the switch from maddening day to welcoming respite. A playful, thoughtful, and engaging dining experience begins with the dynamic wine list (including prosecco on tap and barrel to bar wines by the glass), flowing effortlessly to the inventive starters, big bowls of pasta and shellfish, perfectly grilled fish and meats and our spaghetti and meatball Sunday suppers. 3 Doors Down offers a doff of the hat to Mother Italy and a harmonious affair with locally procured Pacific Northwest and American cuisine. Come in, sit down, and eat! Reservations are for dining only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
3 Doors Down - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
3 Doors Down reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (50)special occasion (30)notable wine list (21)romantic (21)hot spot (12)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious Meal!MartreseDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our meal - the food, the atmosphere, (my Amalfi cocktail!!!). We liked sitting at the 2-top window table, but it meant being sandwiched in behind a larger table, tough for the server to comfortable get to us. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- FineDinahDined on 5/16/2014Love the white bean spread with the pugliese bread. Favorites are their seared scallops, their beet salad, the carpaccio and the pasta with sausage and vodka sauce. This place is like an old friend, comfortable and consistently wonderful.Special Features:
- BBABBBDined on 5/15/2014Staff was very accommodating. Very pleasant evening. Lucky with early parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall AAAterarymDined on 5/6/2014I met with four orher women for our monthly book group. The service was wonderful. Our server was friendly, prompt, and had excellent recommendations. We had a stunning '08 Amarone, and the appetizers were delicious. The pate was the best I've ever had. My pasta Bolognese was lovely, bit a bit too rich. It would be nice to have a simply-sauced pasta with an appetizer-heavy meal. Cannoli dessert was just right. I enjoyed the room-it was pleasant and not loud. I will come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Wonderful food and fantastic service, I wish I could eat here more than my once a year visit to Portland.Special Features:
- 3 Doors Down, not for vegansVegansEatOutDined on 4/25/2014As the sole vegan at our table I was surprised that 3 Doors Down has not created at least one dish that would satisfy the growing vegan population in Portland. The three carnivores at our table raved about delicious meals, while I sat with a pile of braised greens and a plate of cold roasted beets. To be fair to the chef, they were excellently prepared and satisfied me in quantity and flavor, but the ordering process was clumsy with me asking for vegan options and having the server regale me with the gluten-free pastas (none of which were egg free). The server seemed dismissive of my concern and was relieved when I suggested they just pull the braised greens from out of one of the entrees for me and prepare them without butter. Fail.
- 3 thumbs up for 3 doors downselectivedinerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Dinner can be a full course meal or a few select appetizers; in either case the food is first class. The staff can tweak your order so that it reflects your exact preference. They honored our request with a table situated for a special conversation. I had the duck confit upon lentils appetizer with a Caeser salad. My companion had the evening special: grilled fresh halibut with cous cous and veggies. Great wine. No room for dessert but we we're welcome to stay and converse until we were ready to go. Hated to leave and can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite neighborhood spot!TariVIPDined on 4/19/2014We stop in at least twice a month, sometimes more often. Great food, and even better staff. Attentive, knowledgeable, welcoming. They know their stuff, and can accommodate even the most challenging food restrictions. Always delivering a masterpiece! Eager for my next trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken liver page isdinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014The chicken liver page is the best in portland. I had the vodka sauce pasta. Superb. Mjy wife had a very good halibut. Desert was sumptuous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great find!MCRydzewskiDined on 4/1/20143 Doors Down always greats you with a smile, excellent knowledge about their menu, suggestions should you need them because you are overwhelmed with their fabulous menu, and a great calm yet uplifting ambiance. As in you can kick back or get a little rowdy. It was a great spot for a birthday gathering! They also keep true to your reservation and try to accommodate your special requests---I know, because I ask for particular tables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianNewinPDXDined on 3/30/2014Small and snug. Outstanding food and service. Lengthy wine list covering most regions of the world Will be in our rotation of preferred restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/28/2014I've heard amazing things about this restaurant and, while it was very good, I wasn't blown away. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable, the food was very good with perfect bread for the table (although I prefer balsamic and olive oil instead of hummus with the bread) and my dish (a seafood dish like cioppino over pasta) was solid but slightly bland and one of the mussels tasted "off". The ambience was nice with warm colors and candles but we felt a little cramped and had to move our tables ourselves to be able to sit in the chairs. All in all a good experience with a few minor flaws that prompted 4 instead of 5 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good diningRonsfeedbackDined on 3/28/2014We went with friends taking advantage of a 3 course meal for $29.00. Everyone in our party was very satisfied with the offering.Special Features:
- Tasty PastaSeniorDinerVIPDined on 3/26/2014My spouse and I tried this Portland neighborhood spot for an early dinner before a show. We were the first to dine at 5pm. We ordered a risotto and bolognese dish that was nicely prepared, hot from the kitchen and very tasty. Smoked beets were a small but good appetizer to start and the banana crème pie was an excellent way to finish the meal. I would come back again when in Portland and have a craving for more excellent pasta.Special Features:
- ExcellentdaaaabVIPDined on 3/23/2014In the Hawthorne District, everything we tried was perfect. On Sunday, try their spaghetti and meatball special. The meatballs are simmered all day.Special Features:
- So worth a visit!MsShelby13Dined on 3/21/2014Though I'd been to 3 Doors Down several times for happy hour before, this was my first time for dinner & my date's first time at all. We both had an excellent experience. Jeff was very attentive and knowledgeable, the food was amazing! Probably would have given 5 stars if not for the quite loud environment. It's got great subtle lighting, which I thought was perfect for a date, it was just hard to hear each other at times. We were there on a weekend night in the midst of dinner rush, however, and given the restaurant's layout the noise factor really couldn't be helped. In any event, a great dinner spot & an awesome happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerJoshDined on 3/21/2014Needed a good meal out, as it had been awhile, so I decided to finally check out Three Doors Down cafe... Jackie (sp?) was our server, and she was a delight - very friendly, always there to fill our wine glasses, and gave us just the right amount of attention. I'm a firm believer that, aside from the food, it's the service that seperates the very good/great restaurants from the good ones... We never felt rushed, courses came out at a nice pace, finished dishes were removed promptly, and our water glasses were always kept full. We devoured: the gnocchi, crustini, shared a caesar salad, seafood fetuccini, short ribs, bocca negra, tiramisu, a bottle of cab, and a port with dessert... Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborly and deliciousluvbeerDined on 3/18/2014Ben was our waiter this evening. He was very knowledgeable of the cocktails, wine and menu. Four of us ordered the special dining out month menu and it was delicious. The fifth person in our party had the pork loin and it looked amazing. The special cocktail of the evening was delicious, the wine choice went well with the meal. Three Doors is small and intimate but friendly and neighborhood oriented. This was my second time to eat here, and all of our party agreed they would return for another meal. It was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and attentive!BarbVIPDined on 3/15/2014We so enjoyed our experience at 3 Doors Down. We took advantage of Portland Dining Month and the menu was delicious and satisfying. Our server was attentive and when she erred on one of our entrees, she quickly made adjustments and was apologetic. The restaurant was very accommodating to my 93 year old mother, even though we did have to wait about 10 minutes before a table was ready. The noise level is a bit high but we will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food great serviceJeanDined on 3/15/2014Loved 3 doors down. Tried it with Portland Dinning month and was not disappointed. Loved the eggplant fritters with spicy tomato. The service was outstanding. Would recommend this restaurant to friends. One drawback parking in the Hawthorn area is the pits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/20143 Doors Down had been recommended many years ago, and the rating on OpenTable got us to finally go. We went during Portland Dining Month, and tried all different dishes, so we had a broad variety of items. The food was good, nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't great. I don't think we will go back. Too many other restaurants that are better.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant monthLhshDined on 3/15/2014We went for restaurant month and got a reservation within 45 min of booking. Loved everything about the place but especially the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dining Month Menu!MartreseDined on 3/9/2014First time here w/pals, decided to try the Dining Month menu. Nice atmosphere, good cocktails, delicious food. . .we'll be back!Special Features:
- Oh! The Noise!CurleyDined on 3/7/2014There are several places in Portland that have this acoustic problem, and it really ruins your dining experience. The noise level is incredible. We had to almost yell to hear each other speak. The food was ok, but honestly folks I make chicken liver pate as good as if not better than that I had at 3 Doors Down. We both had fettucine with seafood in white sauce: the pasta was undercooked, and the sauce was like water. It was a very busy Friday night, and even with a reservation we had a short wait. But the service is very good and friendly. I'll try it again on a day or at a time that it's not so busy before I give up on it.
- RevisitZintasterVIPDined on 3/7/2014After almost 10 years we returned back only to remember how great this place was. We will not wait that long again to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Doors DownTeTeDined on 3/5/2014Everything was very good, the risotto was phenomenal. That alone will bring me back to try some more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatAlluraDined on 3/4/2014Something new......eggplant fritters. Yum. We would not have thought to order this but it was part of the 3 course dining special for March. The wait staff is wonderful. Of course the pugliese bread and bean spread are worth the trip anyway..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place great food if not busy.BdaygirlDined on 3/1/2014Hopefully they take care of your table even if you r a family going out for bday dinner we spend the same and don't stay longSpecial Features:
- Hawthorne GemJaybirdDined on 3/1/2014A fantastic dining experience! The waitstaff was superb, not to mention the fantastic food! I would highly recommend trying this gem in the Hawthorne District!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable neighborhood cafeNancyGDined on 2/19/2014When I need a restaurant that I know will be reliably good, I recommend 3 Doors Down. Maybe that's because the menu doesn't change too often. The pasta here is always delicious and I can always count on the Amalfi cocktail to be spot on with its fresh thyme. My companion enjoyed the sea bass (Oregon not Chilean). The special pasta with Stilton cheese was great as was my friends spicy seafood diablo pasta. Love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculous wine pricesMosieSaysVIPDined on 2/16/2014The place is loud--not enough soft materials to absorb the noise. I had the pork tenderloin with coffee and cocoa rub, which was really amazing. Hubs had the Bolognese which he said was only average, although he said the pasta seemed to be hand rolled and was delicious. The tiramisu was good, rich and very rummy. Overall, I thought it was a good place and I might go back. But, I truly despise overpriced wine lists. I thought the wine prices were quite ridiculous. I paid $26 for a 1/2 bottle of Willamette Chardonnay - that is ridiculous! And, she did not tell me when I ordered it, only once it was at the table and she had her corkscrew in it already. Booooo. I think I will try Accanto next time I am in the 'hood.
- I am Going Again Because ...myronwongDined on 2/15/2014... The pork lion was so moist and flavorful, beautifully presented. So was my entree of shellfish, only I asked for a red sauce to go with my glass of wine and it was dynamite. The pasta was al dente and so well prepared and paired. Of course, the grilled Caesar was a superb starter and large enough to share.Special Features:
- Great restaurantDe137eVIPDined on 2/12/2014Our anniversary and this was the place we went because we are never disappointed. Servers are great as is the food. They have my favorite drink, a blood orange sour. What more can I say but support this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful little neighborhood stopLindaVIPDined on 1/26/2014Fresh ingredients , quiet setting, good ambience, interesting preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant neighborhood diningGFdinerVIPDined on 1/25/2014Haven't been here in quite some time and was pleasantly surprised that it has held up so well over the years. Delicious food chosen from an interesting menu. My gluten-free diet was no problem at all--they were well versed in how to prepare the dishes to my needs. They even had gluten-free pasta but I didn't order it. Would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back!MarrndsDined on 1/16/2014Consistently Good food, good service and in a great "happening" neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The vodka sauce pasta wasdinerVIPDined on 1/15/2014The vodka sauce pasta was superb as usuanl. My wife had the days special, which on this day was spagetti and meatballs. They were good. We always start with the chicken liver pate, the best in Portland. We are regulars to 3 doors down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite places:susconDined on 1/10/2014One of my favorite places: excellent service and food. Five star restaurant. I still have one minor complaint: the inside could use some sound absorbing material as it gets really loud in there. Other than than, one of my favorite places in PDX.Special Features:
- Yummy, authentic Italian foodGoodfoodDined on 1/8/2014This restaurant has a pleasant appearance, clean lines, warm colors, but noisy. The servers were very friendly and professional. We choose to eat in the bar as there was a noisy large table that made dining in the main dining room unbearable. Therefore the service that was provided by the bar tender was a bit slow. Although he was terrific. The food was the real star of the show. I had the vodka pasta which has a spectacular sauce and tender, spicy sausage. I would go back for this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014Good fare, accommodating staff and excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.