3 Doors Down
1429 SE 37th
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
3 Doors Down
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.3doorsdowncafe.com/
- Phone: (503) 236-6886
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar 11:00 pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Marth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from 3 Doors Down
Inclusive from the moment you grace the doorway, 3 Doors Down has a keen acumen for speeding up your wind down, flipping the switch from maddening day to welcoming respite. A playful, thoughtful, and engaging dining experience begins with the dynamic wine list (including prosecco on tap and barrel to bar wines by the glass), flowing effortlessly to the inventive starters, big bowls of pasta and shellfish, perfectly grilled fish and meats and our spaghetti and meatball Sunday suppers. 3 Doors Down offers a doff of the hat to Mother Italy and a harmonious affair with locally procured Pacific Northwest and American cuisine. Come in, sit down, and eat! Reservations are for dining only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
3 Doors Down - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
3 Doors Down reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (30)romantic (22)notable wine list (19)hot spot (11)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DonWDined on 11/16/2014Food and service were excellent. However, the restaurant was very drafty and cold. I ate wearing a winter coat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The noise level was so high that I turned on my decibel app in my cell phone. It was 90+ most of the time. The restaurant need some quieting material on the walls or ceiling. The food was delicious and our waiter was wonderful.
- beautifulSaritaMDined on 11/8/2014A beautiful place in the evening, in warm colors, with tables not squeezed too close together and seats at the bar too. The menu includes some unusual options (veg in our case) that were delicious.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceSAFFDined on 11/2/2014Three Doors Down is amazing! The food was fantastic and the service was professional and appropriate. By the way, I'm a vegetarian but had no problem with the selections on the menu. I will continue to recommend Three Doors Down to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotmbsavDined on 11/1/2014The restaurant was great. Food very good. A nice lively neighborhood. The noise level was a very high and made it hard to carry on conversations.Special Features:
- So very excellentTheWeedmanVIPDined on 11/1/2014Been a regular for 6 years and have had a fantastic experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!JimnPaulVIPDined on 10/31/20143 Doors Down is one of our favorite restaurants to take out of town visitors, this time our guests were from Hermiston, OR. They get a great taste of the well seasoned Portland culinary scene. 3DD is a long standing neighborhood restaurant that has maintained consistency throughout the years. With the media frenzy over new start-up restaurants, places like 3DD often don't get recognized after a decade in business. The tried and true establishments are where we prefer to spend our hard earned dollar with the reward of excellent food, drink, and service!Special Features:
- Delicious and Comfortable DiningLucybytes22Dined on 10/29/2014We had a great meal with my mom and friend who were visiting from out of town. The service was great. The food was delicious and the ambience was pleasant. I was so happy and there were so many things on the menu that I didn't get to try that I wanted I cannot wait to go back in! We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in Hawthorne areaTheExperienceVIPDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant always serves delicious food!On Sunday's they have a special Spaghetti and meatballs which sells out early! The penne with vodka and sausage is some of the best I have ever had! Service is well trained, staff does not turn over like many restaurants. Only issue is parking in the tight neighborhood. Nice wine menu, some half bottles as well. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around positive, great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Eating early - 5 pm - helped us mostly escape the slowly developing somewhat lively noise. The food, the service and the ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Food was great as alwayseaterVIPDined on 10/21/2014We have been going to 3 Doors Down for years. It is always wonderful. The food is delicious and the staff very gracious.Special Features:
- Worth The DriveCalypsoDined on 10/18/2014We never mind driving across the river to eat here. Always happy with the food and service. Great atmosphere and wonderful wine choices. We had a group of 4 who ordered 4 different things and every one of them was a winner! Specials are always superb. Servers are very helpful and answer questions with a smile. We look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Always top notch.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014We have dined here 3 times. Great atmosphere, intimate, fabulous food, always greeted with an enthusiastic smile, Zach always goes above and beyond. You know they truly care about your experience.Special Features:
- Try itNewinPDXDined on 10/18/2014A modest exterior belies the excellent restaurant inside: Creative foods, extensive wine list, excellent servers. Window seats give good view of active street pedestrians for people watching.Special Features:
- Noise Level is AnnoyingRoadWarrior45VIPDined on 10/11/2014It is way too loud, so being a lip-reading expert will help a lot. The food is very good, but the server seemed to be overwhelmed at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood ItaliangarysVIPDined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed the restaurant. There was a good range of excellent salads, pasta and meat dishes. Allow time to find street parking as it is in a busy area with the Bagdad theatre and shops. But definitely worth the trip would go again when visiting Portland.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Great experience, great waiter, a bit noisy. Food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hbeachmomVIPDined on 10/2/2014We eat here from time to time. Good food and service. Very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Yummy!BarbVIPDined on 9/28/2014We brought out-of-town guests to 3 Doors Down recently and, once again, were not disappointed. The food is consistently good with attention to detail. Our server was helpful and attentive but not overbearing. Such a wonderful neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Ok, not specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We went in a Sunday night, and sat outside. A previous review said it can be chilly inside and it was, so we went out. Service was pretty good but some big gaps between when we saw anyone stop at the table. Food, for us, wasn't anything spectacular, it didn't meet my expectations having read so many reviews saying the food was amazing.
- Welcome discoveryAzureDined on 9/20/2014I thought I knew all the cool places to dine in SE PDX, but somehow we've missed this place. Loved our whole evening - the restaurant was hopping at 8pm on a Saturday - took that as a good sign. Service was prompt and friendly - I think we had Zack? But all the servers were attentive to refilling water glasses and clearing plates. Waiter gave us good feedback on menu selections and the food was awesome - had the special pasta of the night and enjoyed the banana dessert. And loved my blood orange whiskey sour. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb Dining ExperienceTonyDined on 9/13/2014I tried 3 Doors Down after reading the reviews. We need a nice spot for a quick dinner before a show. Let me just the 3 Door Down exceeded our expectations. This restaurant provides a stark contrast to the eclectic restaurants that you find in SE PDX. However, they still manage to retain the SE PDX charm. The service, atmosphere and furnishings are first class. It's located on the side street which provides a great atmosphere for outside dining. The food is the Best flat out...Fresh ingredients, a well rounded menu and prepared excellent. My wide loves salmon and is very fussy about the preparation. Her salmon arrived medium perfectly cooked throughout. I had their double cut pork chop which was also prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met Expectations and MoredinnerinpdxDined on 9/12/2014We wanted to eat at an Italian restaurant and although I wouldn't characterize this as a restaurant with traditional Italian dishes I would go back in a heartbeat. We were greeted promptly and in a friendly manner. Our waiter was awesome, recommended an excellent wine for me and was attentive but not intrusive. Food was delicious from appetizers through dessert and flow of the meal was perfect. We had gnocchi, rabbit and pork chops at our table and each and every dish was prepared very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Italian FoodTravelingmanVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the addictive bean dip through salad and main courses the food was consistently high quality and extremely well prepared. Our server was helpful but not intrusive. If you appreciate fine Italian fare , this is a most try.Special Features:
- Great portion sizeIndyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Salad very good and the Alaskan king salmon was outstanding. Cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawthorne, really?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014I honestly never would have thought this cuisine was available in Hawthorne. Don't get me wrong Hawthorne has many tasty gems, but this place was OUT OF THIS WORLD yummy! My daughter ordered the pork chop and mashed potatoes and I ordered the skirt steak with blue cheese butter. I live in Tacoma and am thinking about taking my husband there for date night. Our server was very helpful, friendly and I never felt like she was trying to rush us out of our table. From start to finish it was a perfect meal! If I was going to request anything be different, I would suggest having more dessert items that do not have a white chocolate component. Would have loved to have tried the torte or bread pudding but they both had white chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattipattiDined on 8/22/2014love this restaurant. brought diverse group with me and all were so happy with all the delicious flavors we ordered. the delicate pasta dishes are amazing. we will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food, serviceChestermanDined on 8/9/2014This is our favorite place in PDX. Very attentive service, creative specials and reliable regular menu entries, such as the killer vodka sauce. Only criticism is the noise -- way too loud for normal conversation. Not sure what can be done about it except requesting a table outside and praying for decent weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!JimnPaulVIPDined on 8/2/2014We brought a friend from Anchorage to 3 Doors Down to enjoy some of the finest food in Portland. We received outstanding service, quality of food, and fun time that we always experience! This year marks 11 years that I have been eating at 3 Doors Down! What a gem!Special Features:
- The following 243 reviews are from the 3 Doors Down reviews archive.
- Another good mealDavidDined on 7/11/2014Our second time there and once again it did not disappoint. The good was great. I had the stuffed squid and linguine special was delicious. My wife and I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014We were warmly welcomed, promptly seated and expertly attended to. The food was delicious and perfectly prepared. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerLeafpeeper2dayVIPDined on 6/29/20143 Doors Down was a weekly visit when we lived in Portland years ago. It continues to be an amazing dining experience. The food, service, and ambiance is spot-on. The roasted corn, asparagus herbed chevre cheese risotto was wonderful. It was perfectly presented with an abundance of flavor. The asparagus was perfectly cooked. Yum.Special Features:
- So consistentPastaheavenDined on 6/26/2014I have been client here since it opened.The level of creativity ,taste and service have never faltered.We live in. CT close to NY and Boston known as food havens, 3 Doors is up to the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningCathyDined on 6/26/2014Dinner was tasty, service was great. Love having this restaurant in our neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My family of four had dinner at this restaurant on a Saturday night in June. It was busy and lively but not packed. The servers were attentive but not intrusive. We started with two appetizers the asparagus and the radicchio. Loved the asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and both of my children 11 and 13 loved it as well. The radicchio was also good but was a bit too bitter. We then shared a wonderful ceasar salad. I had a homemade pasta special. It was a fettuccine with paprika and a wonderful sauce. It was excellent! I would definitely try any homemade pasta. My family enjoyed their meals as well. We would go back. Oh and the white wine they have on tap is wonderful as well. Who would have guessed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new find in SEfredsmarinaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Can't believe it has been in business for 19 years and this was our first time there. It was fabulous on all counts. Cannot wait to go back. Another "go to" Italian restaurant for amazing food.Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 6/18/2014Food us consistently good and the service is consistently the best. we have enjoyed 3 Doors Down for years and plan on enjoying for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Doors an old friendPablo57VIPDined on 6/15/2014We had not been to 3 Doors Down for quite some time. Now that it is on Open Table and the dining room layout much improved we decided it was time. The food here has always been very good, not only for imagination and excellent balance of choices, but from a value standpoint as well. This trip was on Fathers Day and yet the room though very busy was still totally under control. Service was terrific and thoughtful and dinner just fine. The risotto was a real stand out! It was really nice being back....Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysBabsyDined on 6/14/2014We are frequent guests at 3 Doors Down and the food never disappoints. Flavorful, thoughtful menu. Great service. Nice for special occasions, just dining out...Special Features:
- Tried to like it... again.July29thDined on 6/13/20143 Doors was my husband and my first date, so we really want to like it. However, this was our 3rd time back and we've concluded that the food is just not all that. The Liver pâté was the best thing we had. Nice portion, good flavor / texture. The razor clams were ok, but we both agreed they were VERY fishy. Big disappointment in the lamb pasta special and the ground chicken orecchiette. Both yuck. My orecchiette was HEAVILY over salted and the ground chicken in it was just weird. I've had better Costco pasta. The lamb special had peas that were so al dente that they seemed raw. Conversly, the mushrooms were soggy and the lamb was extremely fatty. We always take our leftovers home but these never went in the doggy bag.