2G Japanese Brasserie
601 Van Ness Avenue Suite F
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
2G Japanese Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.2gjapanese.com/
- Phone: (415) 292-9997
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Tues: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Weds: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Thurs: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Fri: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM Sat: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM Sun: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Toshio Oguma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Cross Street Golden Gate and Turk
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: One hour validated parking is available at the Opera Plaza Garage, located at 601 Van Ness Ave, please enter from either Golden Gate or Turk. Metered and two hour street parking are also available in the surrounding neighborhood.
A word from 2G Japanese Brasserie
2G Japanese Brasserie is an authentic Japanese restaurant offering items made from original recipes from local farmers/ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
2G Japanese Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- blahcrispanVIPDined on 10/30/2014an indifferent dining experience, came here in error actually, confusing it with the Japanese restaurant across the street.
- Great for pre-opera,symphonyHGWTVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went here for lunch before matinee symphony on a Sunday. Had very fresh and delicious sushi with excellent service. We have been here before and will return.Special Features:
- Odd EveningJefmelVIPDined on 8/22/2014We reserved at table prior to a concert in the area. There was one couple in the entire building when we got there at peak dinner time. We thought it was odd, but decided to try it. The menu was expensive, even for sushi. Once the meal came out, the fish was not as "pretty" as most sushi grade fish is, some with very odd flavors. We did not eat all of our rolls, which is unheard of for our family. Paid $150 for two adults and two kids, for a very unimpressive meal. I can not recommend.
- another great dinnerdoctorJDined on 7/30/2014Finished watching a nice movie at the opera plaza movie theater. Wife and I had to drop by. Sat at the sushi bar and had a a amazing sashimi and sushi tonight. Everything from the tuna to the live uni was wonderful. Bought chef a beer and he gave us delicious shrimpSpecial Features:
- The following 161 reviews are from the 2G Japanese Brasserie reviews archive.
- Disappointing Dinnerdiners32Dined on 7/2/2014Was looking forward to an excellent dinner. It never happened. One of the dinners ordered was undercooked the other dinner the meat overcooked and burned with charcoal on pieces of the meat. Never received an item ordered and was presented with the wrong bill at end of meal. Not a good showing for this Restaurant.
- Not AgainBruceDined on 6/21/2014We liked nothing about this restaurant. Correction. We liked the Pot Stickers. We will not return.
- Generally Awfuljps5000VIPDined on 6/19/2014Pleasant enough atmosphere but the food was poor. Went for pre-opera dinner because everything else was booked. Should have gone to the opera hungry. Points to the host, who noticed the uneaten food and took it off the bill...but the item should never have left the kitchen.
- Convenient to Opera HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/10/2014Nothing special at all, but an easy two block walk to the Opera. Certainly ok.
- Needs a lot of helplovedessertDined on 6/6/2014What we had: tempura shrimp: quite good; gyoza, greasy and the filling didn't taste fresh, had kind of an old meat taste, the dipping sauce was unpleasant and we used the tempura dipping sauce instead; crispy brussel sprouts: fair but greasy; Japanese pumpkin, tasty but too much seaweed. We also ordered crispy cauliflower which never arrived and we were somewhat relieved. Pleasant interior with a lot of potential and pleasant service but if our choices are any indication, a restaurant to be avoided. Hit Max's for dessert to make up for dinner.
- LAHSVIPDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant has been a favorite of mine for dinner before the Opera for many years. The food has been consistently good. However, in the last year or so the management has changed and prices have risen to the point where the value for the dollar is no longer there. Since very few patrons were present on my last visit I suspect others may have come to the same conclusion. The food is still very good, but I will probably not return unless they reduce their prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its been a couple of yearsdoctorJDined on 5/21/2014Perfect spot after all these years still before opera, ballet or symphony. Service was great, never to over attentive. My wife and I split a couple of appetizers. Those Brussels sprouts were amazing. Wife had the sushi tasting perfect cooked rice and just the right amount of vinegar. I on the other hand was tempted to have the whole live crab but went with the Chilean sea bass because it was less messy my server said. That sea bass melted in my mouth. Will try the whole crab next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese before symphony, operaJanetVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great location and good Japanese dining before the symphony, opera, or shows. A bit pricier than Japantown, but still great authentic Japanese dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/7/2014I love this place. It is spacious to say the least -- and I've hosted large groups here quite easily. The staff is wonderful and the food is excellent. There is rarely a crowd and it is an essential part of going to the movies at Opera PlazaSpecial Features:
- Great place to go before the BalletMadeleinetpVIPDined on 4/30/2014Service was warm and prompt. Quality of food was amazing. We are making this restaurant one of our favorite when going to the Ballet or Opera.Special Features:
- Very handy prior to seeingkathyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Very handy prior to seeing a show at the opera or the symphony. Friendly and polite staff, eager to assist Bento box was nice, though tempura a bit oily Large portion of curry with rice. Will be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKCTHfromSFDined on 4/12/2014The food was ok, the wine list was ok, the service was ok. Yes, I would go there again but it wasn't special, everything was fine. It was just ok. I was hoping for special. It was my son's 30th birthday and we had these great plans for a wonderful dinner and a great time at the symphony. The symphony was fantastic - the restaurant was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/7/2014We routinely come here before City Arts and Lectures events at the Nourse Theatre. The food is great and the service attentive. It's a mystery to me why this restaurant isn't busier.
- Creative Japanese CuisinecuisineadventurerDined on 4/5/2014Restful hidden Japanese restaurant operated by a friendly Japanese family. Very handy to the SF Civic center and is a good place to meet friends for a meal before concerts or performances. It has creative Japanese cuisine with large choices of sushi , and other dinner selections which may have some good specials for the day. Their bento box is a nice variety of selections and makes a good meal. There is a bar with the chef preparing the fresh sushi and there are booths and tables and a room that is smaller with less tables. Noise level is low and one can converse with ease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service. Food isLindaVIPDined on 3/30/2014Friendly service. Food is good but maybe overpriced if we didn't have a groupon. Surprised that the place is so empty late in the evening. Nice modern atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good but expensivemrkymarkDined on 3/21/2014So with so many Japanese restaurant choices in the city, why did I choose this one? Well it is located in Opera Plaza near the Symphony Hall and we had a show to go to. The place is nice and hidden away, as a result I dont think the restaurant ever gets full. The service is also good but I was really surprised by the price of sushi. As an example a Spicy Tuna Roll was $16.00. There was really nothing fancy about it, not bigger or tastier then any one elses rolls. But the price point for their menu was a little too much for me. Good restaurant but would only recommend if need to be in the area based on price point.Special Features:
- Not bad... but not great eitherKofiDined on 3/19/2014It was a little dead when we went for lunch. They were energetic to get the business, but I can't say it is a high value spot I would go back to. Staff was friendly, but did not follow up much to see how things were going or if there was anything else. Basically it was okay.
- Gone DownhillSophiesDaddiesVIPDined on 7/18/2013A few years ago, this restaurant under previous management was a reliable pre-ballet/opera eatery. Since then, with new owners, the prices have almost doubled and the portions have been noticeably reduced. Way too expensive for my taste!
- Very dissapointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2013ordered sushi--out of several staple fish--an order of scallops was "off" --tasted like it had been there for 2 weeks. I complained and they did take it off my bill. The size of the portions are very small --rolls, cuts of fish etc. We ordered tempura vegetables--were oily and a skimpy order compared to other places. I would never go back there again!
- Overpriced, otherwise very niceGrayHairedDinerDined on 7/6/2013Chosen for its proximity to performance venues (Symphony and Opera), and for the type of cuisine (Japanese). This is our second visit, coming from the peninsula. We liked the service, ambience and, quality and presentation of the food. However, we feel that the dishes were small and overpriced. Hence our rating of just 3 (out of 5) stars.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceMikeVIPDined on 7/2/2013While the sushi was good, the I had a miscommunication with the waiter and accidently ordered some items. I had asked if the roll that came with sushi dinner item was chef's choice or picked by me. The waiter (who did not speak much English) said it was picked by me and so I picked one. When the bill came I found that was not the case, and I was charged for that extra choice. When I asked the manager about it, he could have said 'This was a miscommunication, but you received the extra food, so can you pay for it?' or something along those lines, and I would have paid. But instead he immediately began yelling at me and my little brother was with me, and he began to act as if we were attempting to scam the restaurant.
- nothing greatfleaDined on 6/28/2013overpriced, tv screens made the place feel like a sports bar. Service was fast, but staff seemed rushed and inattentive.
- It is a pleasant and quiet placeVissidarteVIPDined on 6/19/2013The food is still goo but the sushi is no longer up to par
- Let DownjmADVENTUREDined on 6/11/2013Chose for birthday: Chicken - dried out, overcooked. Fresh fish selection limited. Waiter forthright and honest. Come here for Sushi/Sashimi. Other expectations may result in disappointment
- Perfect date spotmarksgirlDined on 6/1/2013My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the food, service and ambience. we will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Arts FindrichgrabberVIPDined on 5/29/2013This is a great spot for pre performance light fare in the Civic Center. Good sake selection, limited variety of sushi/sashimi dependent on what's available. Excellent fish collar and good ramen specials. Never crowded (pretty big room).Special Features:
- sashima great, sushi rollsSlumpoDined on 5/9/2013sashima great, sushi rolls smaller quantities than other restaurants. Tempura just ok...batter somewhat heavy. Service great and informative
- Dinner Menu LimitedOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/4/2013We had dinner there before going to the Ballet. Location was prime and within walking distance. The service was great and staff very friendly. The dinner menu was not as extensive if you do not want sushi, rolls or small appetizer sized food. While one party in my group is not a big raw fish eater - we thought there would be terriyaki or rice plates for dinner to order but there wasn't. They said that was only on their lunch menu. The sushi combo platter ($30) was small and the cut of fish not very big and the portion of the platter, very small. It did not look anywhere near the demos in the window - very decieving.
- What a disappointment!judithVIPDined on 4/30/2013We had been planning to try this restaurant for several months so it was particularly disappointing to order (besides sides of rice) 6 items. And find that 1 was completely unchewable (beef short ribs), one was a cheat (shrimps breaded on skewers - which were actually slices of shrimp, small) and one (our fault) that we chose without asking for verification of vegetable that was tasteless. When we added how skimpy the servings were (except for the tuna sushi - which was tasteless) the dinner was not only a disappointment, it was an expensive disappointment. The simplest cafe in Japan town beats them hands down! Diners should save their money!
- Second visitdoctorJDined on 4/27/2013Came here before an event in the area. Was craving for some sushi so I came. I never order any specials at a restaurant cause its always hit or miss but the waitress sold me on there Chilean Seabass Steak Dinner. All I can say it was oily, soft, flavorful and best of all huge. Was quite impressed. My friend ordered some sushi in which she devoured with some sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have eaten at 2G before.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2013I have eaten at 2G before. The food is always good, maybe a little bit pricey, but in a great location for the opera, symphony, ballet, anything at Herbst theater. The service is sometimes slow even when the restaurant is almost empty, but it was quick and efficient this time.Special Features:
- Gd japanese food nr. Symphony HallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013The food is quite good, it's a casually elegant-looking space, and the service is sweet and attentive. Maybe I like to order things others don't usually, but they were out of three of the items I requested. They were very kind, and brought me a couple of dishes on the house to make up for not having what I wanted, which were quite nice, so that made me happy! Especially liked the duck yakitori (not something I've seen elsewhere)and the seaweed salads. The chirashi sushi was very good.Special Features:
- we've enjoyed this place severalfps7VIPDined on 1/13/2013we've enjoyed this place several times... very good food and very nice people...we'll go again, especially if in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Two wait staff didn't showjonathonstoneVIPDined on 1/12/2013Two wait staff didn't show up, and therefore the service was slow. But everyone was nice. Another staff person, who was not a server, came out to help.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2013Highly recomended by a restaurant coworker. We were welcomed fine and the menu seemed good. Ordered Sake and it arived luke warm though we ordered the chilled sake. We placed our order for Kobe beef Yakitory(7dls), Otoro(18dls), uni(12dls) and Ankimo nigiri. Kobe was without flavour, i mean nothing. The meat was gristly. I know kobe beef because i work with it every day, this wasnt like any ive ever had. I was told that they were out of the otoro and uni because they "didnt have any today because we dont" by the waitress 25min into our meal. replaced it with the otoro roll(12dls) and it also tasted of nothing, seriously, the rice wasnt seasoned at all and the fish had no flavour whatsoever. Paid our bill and left disappointed.
- The special sushi rolls werejustusDined on 1/4/2013The special sushi rolls were nicely done. Casual atmosphere.Special Features: