29 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.29newbury.com/
- Phone: 6175360290
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (Bar till 1:00am); Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (Bar till 1:00am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For party of 40 and plus, we can close the dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Debbie Lewis 6175360290
- Entertainment: Flat Screen TV in the bar area
A word from 29 Newbury
29 Newbury is a trendy Cafe and sophisticated restaurant. The inventive, upscale cuisine offers many options at moderate prices. 29 Newbury is definitely a romantic spot for a quiet dinner. Please note that 29 Newbury does not accept reservations for the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
29 Newbury reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (6)fit for foodies (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014I had the 20 dollar lunch special. Came with bread,salad, a delicious shrimp ravioli in tomato/basil sauce and Tiramisu dessert which I passed on as I was full. Waiters were attentive. The Yuengling was ice cold on a hot day and very refreshing. I did think 8 dollars for a 12 ounce lager was a bit much. The beer prices are unmarked and I didn't think to ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amy V.AmyVDined on 8/22/2014Excellent dinner with our family of 4. We sat outside. The food was fantastic and the service excellent! Def will go back when in town again.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekdorbarrDined on 8/21/2014Went for Restaurant Week and the menu was slightly different from that I'd seen online. None the less very good. Service impeccable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014Live locally. Have not eaten there in years. Restaurant week brought us in. Each course was a 10 out of 10 for each of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014food was superb. atmosphere great. We loved it. I recommend the calamari salad and lobster stir fry !!Special Features:
- verstile menuEventConciergeDined on 8/2/2014We were a party of 5 on a Sat. nigh at 7:30. We were one of three tables in the whole place. Our waiter was great, very friendly and attentive. The Cosmo and Bloody Mary drinks we ordered were good. I loved my lobster salad with white beans. The salmon, and burgers were good. My only suggestion would be that there should be a warm pasta on the menu instead of just a chilled pasta. A tad over priced, but overall a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Quietmattcbos91Dined on 8/1/2014I was surprised by how quiet it was on a Friday night, there were really only a handful of other tables seated. But the food was great, and the service was as well. I'll return, but probably only during the lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotBerkerycVIPDined on 7/24/2014Good spot. We were just getting a drink, but it was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- overallOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014Portions were quite small and the eggs benedict was average. We sat outside and wanted a table with an umbrella (two were open) but we were told they hold those for parties of 4. They eventually filled both of the tables with parties of 2. The sun was unbearable and we ate quickly and went for coffee down the street.Special Features:
- throwback from the 90'sRossNDined on 7/11/2014We sat inside. The food was great and the service was very friendly. If you remember and loved living in a nice house in the 90's with black and white oddly shaped decor this is the place for you. Literally stuck in a time capsule. Odd but delicious menu. From highend pasta to a gourmet hotdog. I recommended the restaurant. See what you think!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuHighfiveDined on 7/1/2014I keep going back for the same thing. The warm lobster salad is amazing! The service has always been great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeDaniLDined on 6/19/2014I love this little spot on Newbury Street. The service is always excellent and the location divine! I have been here 3 times in last 2 weeks, and this last time, the food was not as great as before, but given my prior dining experiences, I attribute it to an "off" night. Outdoor seating is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice relaxing spotStephenVIPDined on 6/14/2014Especially when there's no traffic (Pride Parade). But they could off their annoying music. Generally decent food, very friendly service.Special Features:
- AmydDined on 5/21/2014Great lunch fare, service and street side dining if appeals. Inside dining decor is okay and only "not great" thing about 29. Tuna tartare special was excellent. Location on Newbury is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedAliOopsyDined on 5/17/2014The host was very accommodating and worked with us to dine outside. The wait staff was friendly - but service was extremely slow - both for drinks and food. Bar tender was rude. The appetizers did not come out together - in fact we needed to ask for our tar tar. When food did arrive - it was good - nothing great.Special Features:
- Comfort Food for a Rainy EveningBostonDebVIPDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed the pear and apple cider roasted pork tenderloin, the perfect dish for a rainy spring evening. The wine selections by the glass were well chosen as well. Service was excellent and the ever changing local art work that the restaurant displays keeps the decor interesting when you are sitting indoors. This is also a great spot for outdoor dining on Newbury Street, weather permitting.Special Features:
- The following 443 reviews are from the 29 Newbury reviews archive.
- Not For BrunchMarathonerVIPDined on 4/20/2014Waffles and fried chicken was unremarkable. Almost seemed the fried chicken fingers was pre-processed. Service was uneven at best. They kept forgetting to bring my date's coffee, even after asking twice. We finally grabbed a food server and he brought it to us. Eggs over medium apparently means eggs week-done. Had to send them back. Wheat toast never arrived, either. Gave up on that one. Thing is, the place wasn't very crowded or busy as we came within 30 minutes of their opening. Incompetent service. Only slightly competent cook. Pass.Special Features:
- Service was greatBoardingDined on 4/12/2014Went on a 7:30 on a Friday night, seated immediately. Cozy seating (aka very close quarters if you're in the tables in the middle). If possible, I'd suggest requesting a booth if available. Otherwise, solid meal. He got the burger and I got the salmon and we were both happy with our selections. Loved the tiramisu, it was a bigger portion than I was expecting. The host was polite, courteous and friendly and our server was amazing. Good location after a few minutes of people watching at the park and before seeing a show at the Wilbur.I would recommend this to a friend.
- jumped the sharkJustSayin67VIPDined on 4/7/2014Not sure what's happening at 29 Newbury, but sometimes it feels like it should be on Restaurant Impossible. Food is just OK, service is just OK, but the ambience is pretty bad, and the clientele are just this side of trashy. Servers like to connect their iPhones to the restaurant sound system, then use it as their personal stereo. Four times in an hour, servers either turned the volume up so they and their friends could dance and sing along, or - worse - they changed the song mid-stream, saying things like, "OMG, I HATE that song." Kitchen: A medium burger shouldn't be either pink or dripping with grease. Bartender (Nathan?) was attentive, friendly. 29 Newbury used to be so much better. Kind of sad, really.
- Pleasant surprise!RitayayaDined on 4/5/2014The host treated us warmly and show us to our table immediately. Great music played all night. Attentive waiter and other service staff. Delicious food and wine. And very reasonable prices! My new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the tripBradDined on 4/4/2014I don't understand how Open Table gave this place a 5 star rating, it was anything but upscale or romantic. The service was slow, the decor was worn and mediocre and the food was fair to good.
- Returned after 15 yearsBeachplum811VIPDined on 4/3/2014We used to come here all the time when we lived in Back Bay. It's still as good as I remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so soCaithovenDined on 3/28/2014It was just so so. The price is discounted, but definitely the service is discounted too! Food is not so tasty, and the waiter was trying to push us finish what we are eating. He gave us dessert while we were still working on our entree. Kind of unaccessible. Overall, I don't recommend this restaurant at all.
- Great ValuePatriciaDined on 3/28/2014We went to try this restaurant during Dine Out Week. The menu was great!! The minestrone soup tasted home made. The steak frites was cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014Food was good and it's a nice place for people watching if you sit by the Newburyport street windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, ok foodcollegefoodieDined on 3/24/2014I decided to visit 29 Newbury during Restaurant Week with my friends. The servers were great and very accommodating for my vegetarian friends, but overall I think the food was only okay. The gnocchi tasted good, but was a bit too buttery for my liking. Everyone else seemed to enjoy the gnocchi at the table as well. I ordered my steak rare; however when it came to the table, it was medium to medium well. Coming from Texas, I have grown accustomed to great tasting and well cooked (ie. not overdone) steaks. For such a high class restaurant, I was pretty disappointed they didn't know how to cook my steak. Had it been cooked to my liking, I may have enjoyed the meal a bit more. It was a very cute restaurant, but I don't think I will come back.
- Restaurant Week failuresiggiemomDined on 3/23/2014While the food at 29 Newbury is usually good, their special Restaurant Week offerings were very disappointing. One appetizer was barely edible, and the cut of meat was a cheap one. I understand that it would be hard for a restaurant to make money at the special price if it served high quality food; but if this had been our first time dining at 29 Newbury, I would never ever return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not satisfied with a waitressLovebostonDined on 3/21/2014We waited for our friend for a while, a waitress complained "For like a week!"
- Lovely Restaurant in Back BayhelenoftroyDined on 3/20/2014The service was great, and the food was really good. It was our first night in Boston, and a real find. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- metsa metsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014we had been there before and had a better experience.we felt this time the wait staff was unfriendly and abrupt.the only issue we had the 1st time was the facility failed to credit my open table account after they said they would.we will probably will not return.
- good for conversationsiggiemomDined on 3/8/2014Unlike many restaurants, 29 Newbury is a place where you can actually have a conversation! Unless it is a very busy night when the bar area is crowded or a party is going on, one can hear the people around and speak without having to shout. This makes for a relaxing and enjoyable evening. The food is consistently good, though not great. And the service is always friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Wonderful ServiceLizBostonVIPDined on 2/14/2014The staff at 29 Newbury went above and beyond to accommodate the chaos of a large group with people adding on at the last minute, ON VALENTINE's DAY when they were already fully booked! They were able to extend our table twice to fit us all in. As usual the food and wine selection at 29 Newbury were excellent, and the chic setting made for a great evening. But the service was the star this time, cheerfully accommodating what I think were some pretty unreasonable requests on my part to keep adding seats to our reservation. My entire group loved it, and we will all be returning - hopefully with more advanced notice next time! Thank you for making me look good in front of my friends.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2014Very good menu and excellent service. It is very small and great for a date night.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestBobRVIPDined on 1/15/2014Small cluttered tables, inconsistent service, and just ok food mark this so-called "chic" Newbury Street haunt for the local hip crowd
- why is it still openfrankDined on 12/31/2013As for an italian way of saying, pick this restaurant only if all the other restos in town are fully booked, otherwise go to an any fast food you can find. The ambience is so sad and poor that is really hard to find a way a resto like that can survive. The food nothing special. We went there for the NYE because it was the only one place with place available. And entering there we've understood why.
- great nye dinnernso17Dined on 12/31/2013Had a blast and loved the food!!!! I can't wait to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good food, not serviceAcegs23Dined on 12/7/2013We needed a place in Back Bay that would seat 6 around 7:30 (most restaurants were booked until 11, even weeks in advance). I quickly checked the Open Table app and found 29 Newbury had a slot. The place was filled with a few diners- clearly we didn't need a reservation! I wondered if it was horrible food, but it was actually quite delicious! Our waiter was nice, but slow and kind of "marched to the beat of his own drum". But then end is where we had a real problem- gratuity was included, and when we split the check with credit cards, we found out it overcharged us by $10 each- something that could go unnoticed if we didn't double check! Then he tried to fix it, but we still think he ended up with more tip than he should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013Food was good, just not necessarily worth the price.
- Reasonable dining in a pricey areaMaryDined on 11/22/2013Very good food and pretty reasonable prices considering the very fancy Boston neighborhood known for shopping. Dining is below ground but well decorated with virtual fireplace,Special Features:
- Sweet Spot to Relax with FriendsJoyousJohnsonAboutFoodDined on 11/15/2013Great Cosmopolitans! Had the Butternut Squash & Apple soup, very tasty. Along with the Greens, Beat and Goat Cheese salad. The atmosphere was cozy and the booths private and warm. Would return again.