1 Appleton St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.28degrees-boston.com/
- Phone: 6177280728
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00,
Late Night Menu: 10:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - midnight
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sebastian Navarrete
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 28 Degrees is an excellent site for corporate events, holiday parties and social gatherings. From dinners to cocktail receptions, our versatile semi-private areas and buyouts are available for parties of 16 – 166. Full audio equipment with DJ, stage and video capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Sweeney 8883383142
- Entertainment: DJ's Thursday - Sunday nights; occasional performances, including Fashion Shows.
- Special Events: Available for private and semi-private parties from 16 to 160
A word from 28 Degrees
28 Degrees is a blend of extraordinary food, superb cocktails, soul stirring music and innovative design in the ultimate lounge setting. The menu is meant to compliment the social setting of the space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
28 Degrees reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good drinks but beware thatBostonFoodieDined on 8/8/2013Good drinks but beware that during the week they only offer a limited menu with appetizer type food only. This wasn't mentioned anywhere on their website, so we left after having a drink at the bar. Great oyster deal during happy hour. Outside patio seems like a good spot to have drinks with friends.Special Features:
- Came with a group at 7p. FirstCitronomixDined on 8/3/2013Came with a group at 7p. First thing is that even though the restaurant was not busy, still very much had the club vibe going on - it was dimly lit and alternative pop (e.g., Phoenix) was playing. Given we arrived before this joint goes into lounge mode, seating md service were efficient. 28 Degrees has a variety of tapas, pizzas and handful if entrees. Everyone enjoyed their dishes, and the pizzas were terrific. Maybe the bests pizza crust I've had in the States. And when we were informed that the bottle of wine we ordered was not available, the manager brought over two recommendations to taste. While not an establishment I'd visit regularly, worth a try for a date or group on the early side before the lounge scene gets into full effect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True to its nameJakeDined on 8/3/201328 degrees is true to its name. They really know the perfect way to craft a martini and everything else for that matter whether it is a martini, a refreshing frost bellini, a sparking wine or a creative cocktail. Menu is somewhat limited but the offerings are perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- No entrees during the week, FYILiveMusicLoverDined on 7/24/2013Make a reservation for a group birthday dinner here, and nowhere on their website did they indicate that during the week, entrees are NOT available. It's essentially a bar menu with tacos & tapas. No pasta, steak, etc. Our birthday girl was very upset that her entree of choice was not offered, and I was livid. We had oysters and drinks - only because our server was kind and understanding - and then we left and walked to a steakhouse two blocks away. What an idiotic thing for a restaurant to do and not ever mention on their website menu. Luckily the restaurant we ended up ordering our full apps/dinner/desserts from completely saved the evening, but if it were only up to this restaurant we would have had disaster of a "dinner."
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013After a great suggestion from a friend and looking at the menu online, we discovered that one we got to the restaurant, only half of the items were on the menu. Apparently they have just changed to a mid-week menu with only a limited number of items. I hope that they make the change on the website. The food that we did have was very good.
- Great Food!IheartfoodDined on 7/10/2013Went to 28 Degrees because I saw the 3 course dinner for 2 with cocktail pairings on Gilt City. We started off with two frozen Bellini's which were AMAZING! The food was delicious and the portions were alot bigger than expected. The restaurant was very quiet and empty when we arrived. Only a few guests at the bar but I guess that can be expected on a rainy Wednesday evening. Our server was very nice and for the most part attentive. I definitely plan to visit this south end restaurant again!Special Features:
- Great mixologists!Jtable01prDined on 7/6/201328 Degrees is on a nice corner which makes for pleasurable outdoor dining. While the menu is not extensive it offers items to satisfy everyone from light bites to hearty meals and has something for everyone. Each plate we ordered was delicious and carefully prepared. The bartenders were professional and the drinks were original, excellently crafted and delicious! I will recommend and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKDannyVIPDined on 6/15/2013Went there out of the blue just finding somewhere to go on Open Table and I went with a part of 3. It was 7:00 pm on a Saturday night and the place was somewhat dead, not many people there. They had good music playing but it wasn't as vibrant as I thought it would be, as it got later more people came in so I assume it's only better at night. The atmosphere is nice as well with the sheets hanging from the ceiling and they have a projection of an ocean shore onto it. The food was OK but it definitely was not worth the money that they charge for it. I think it was extremely expensive for food that was mediocre at best. I would only go here again if it was a special occasion and not somewhere you just want to hang out with your friends.Special Features:
- The menu was not extensive,redwineVIPDined on 6/15/2013The menu was not extensive, but everything came out perfectly cooked (or not), tasty and well presented.Special Features:
- so soOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2013The decor was nice. The service was slow, food was cold. The music was good but loud, if you want to talk you had to yell to be heard.Special Features:
- Not smoke freeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2013Really disappointed that restaurant management allowed another party, a wedding I think, smoke cigarettes which drifted throughout they were more interested in not offending this large group than the other customers. I found that incredibly offensive, thinking of complaining to City of Boston health department , feel sorry for their staff who had to inhale. will not return.
- Dont go here!TheUmpVIPDined on 4/21/2013Food was good but that is the only good thing I can say. They accepted our reservation and then we arrive (with the place empty) they tell us that they are having a big party later and only have 1 order of Gnochi left. Waited over 1 hour for our food. Waitress could not even run our credit card through without help and this took almost 15 minutes.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013We ordered a number of small plates and one large plate and everything was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. The calamari appetizer was exceptional and the crab salad which was served in a martini glass was unusual but really excellent. Our server was very friendly and did a great job. The restaurant itself is very modern but the music was definitely on the loud side.Special Features:
- Delicious food, excellent service.LolabeanDined on 3/30/2013Everyone in my 4-person party enjoyed their meals. I had the ricotta gnocchi, which were really light and delicious; several people enjoyed the roasted beet salad; I had a taste of the boneless spareribs, which were superb, and the scallops looked great. Two great desserts: a mango pudding - light and delicious; and a brownie a la mode to satisfy any chocoholic topped off the meal. There was an excellent selection of wines by the glass, and our very friendly and sincere waiter provided tastes to help with making a selection. It was pretty noisy, the only drawback, even though we were there early and there was only one other group in the restaurant. The music got turned up as the evening wore on.Special Features:
- Disappointedluv2dineVIPDined on 3/30/2013We have dined at 28 Degrees before and didn't remember it being so incredibly noisy. It was very hard to carry on a conversation, even after the staff turned down the soundtrack. We also didn't recall the menu being so limited. We somehow thought the small plates offerings were greater, but really couldn't make a meal of them. We know this is an evening hotspot, but really feel that in the early hours when dinner is being served the experience could be enhanced with some small adjustments.
- The quinoa was very docentMetroWesternerVIPDined on 3/28/2013The quinoa was very docent from what we expected, but quite good. We both enjoyed our entrees. Good meal, worth going back.
- I've been here twice, bothOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/23/2013I've been here twice, both times were great. Their truffle parmesan fries are excellent. The DJ at night was really good and the service was great as well. Overall a fun place to go.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. DefinitelyKDV18VIPDined on 3/23/2013Food was delicious. Definitely a lively & loud atmosphere with music playing., etc. so just don't book for a quiet intimate gathering. Fun- we sat in the bar area so back rooms might be quieter. Lots of large groups on the Saturday night we were there added to the lovely atmosphere. It was fun for our small gathering. Food was great - plates to share were nice.Special Features:
- Great vide, slight service issueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2013Slight problem with service, we arrived 30 minutes before our reservation to have a cocktail, we were approached after 10 minutes telling us our table was ready when we are. We informed them we would wait a few minutes as we were well before our time, after another 10 minutes we were approached again with the same request. We waited for a few more minutes, when we were ready, 5 minutes before our reservation time, the table was not and we had to stand around for 10 minutes while they moved tables and moved other reservations around. Odd, it was obviously a very special table that went missing or something like that! Other than that it was a great night, the place has a great vide to itSpecial Features:
- Atmosphere is awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013My husband and i love the atmosphere. The drink menu is awesome, and the food is good too, but the service is sometimes disappointing.Special Features:
- Loud dinner but awesome drinks!XavierVIPDined on 3/2/2013Went here a week ago for a quick get together with friends and though the pizza was unremarkable [loaded with cheese, thick crust, and hard to find meat] the overall experience with our waitress made all the difference...not to mention that the cocktails were great. Totally worth going with a lively group, though the acoustics are not the greatest: very loud.Special Features:
- Seems to be losing it's luster?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/23/2013Seems to be losing it's luster? Everything was fine, food was good, not great. There just seemed to be a feeling of "old news" here. Bartender staff were unfriendly, which is not our experience.
- Our 8:30 reservation wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Our 8:30 reservation wasn't honored until 9pm. We received no apologies, and were treated like we were the problem for asking when we would be seated at 8:45 and then again at 9. The oysters were presented poorly: sliced oddly (multiple cuts) and parts still stuck on the shell. The french fries were from a freezer bag, but dressed up nicely to try to and make up for it. Their Prosecco was cheap. Their wait staff were fine, but lacking at times. The front door staff were pretty much rude. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone with any discernable taste. The music was down right terrible.Special Features:
- fun girls night outGreatescaperDined on 2/2/2013Went for a girls night out, had a booth in the bar. Hip scene dj was playing. Food was great, gnocchi was to die for! We also had fish/steak tacos, truffle fries, pizza.(Mushroom pizza was good, the fig/pancetta pizza was not so popular w/the group too much pancetta. Drinks were awesome!Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013This was our first time at 28 Degrees. We started with a couple of specialty martinis which were tasty and unique. We then had the calamari appetizer which was fried, then tossed with arugula and lemon aioli (Outstanding!) For entrees, one of us had the scallops and the other, the steak. Both were cooked to perfection! We will definitely come back! Next time, we'll have to try the fig pizza!Special Features:
- We had a group of 6 and justBruceTDined on 1/25/2013We had a group of 6 and just had small plates which are very good. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- We went early on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We went early on a Saturday night - 6:00 pm - before the bar scene really started, two adults and two 17-year old girls. It was awesome food - best fries ever, deliciously spicy pizza, and great beet salad. I don't think we could have taken the girls there later in the night (we left at 7:00 pm), but it was great for the timing.Special Features:
- Food was amazing. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/15/2013Food was amazing. Service was great. Really love this place!Special Features:
- I had the four course wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013I had the four course wine pairing dinner. Our waitress was very unprofessional-- was not attentive and did not care for our questions. She was slow in service, which resulted in our entree being cold. While bringing out food she dropped the platter, which resulted in broken wine glasses and wine and food was spilled all over the table and floor-- she did not apologize, nor did a manager come over to apologize. In addition to the poor service, I drove and waited in front of the restaurant twice for valet parking and on both occasions no valet attendant, so I was forced to look on off street parking, which is a pain in that area, because it is all residential parking after 6PM. All in all, I did not have a memorable experience at 28.Special Features:
- Great apps to share with aXTinaDinesOutDined on 1/4/2013Great apps to share with a large table of friends. Food was served quickly and the trendy ambiance was suited for my style.Special Features:
- Fun, stylish South End loungeMyNameIsBarryDined on 12/31/2012Went there for New Year's Eve. Food was definitely good, especially the pancetta pizza, but nothing too extraordinary. Loved the ambience and the crowd had a good energy. We were part of a group seating arrangement (think Benihana) that was strange but worked well for the occasion. Server was friendly and responded to us reasonably well. Will definitely come back as this is a relaxed but stylish hang out in the South End that doesn't take itself too seriously.Special Features:
- Holiday disasterMomoVIPDined on 12/22/2012We had heard good things about 28° when it first opened, and went there with our adult son, home for the holidays. Giant mistake! first of all, on a night when it was very hard to get reservations, they were wide open. This should have been a clue. We went at 7:30 or so and the restaurant was completely empty. the Christmas decorations were so tacky, it would have been better to do without. The sound level of the holiday mix tape was so bad we could hardly hear ourselves speak; also, it was made up mostly of Mariah Carey singing "do you hear what i hear?". And this all before we got any attention at all. We finally got drinks, which I expected to be very good, given the name of the restaurant. Unfortunately they were pedestrian, As was the
- While the food was good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2012While the food was good, and not too expensive, this was clearly a post-work drinks or night out lounge. Short menu that seemed to be more focused on appetizers than the entrees. Drinks were very good though and the atmosphere was fun.Special Features:
- This place is fabulous! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012This place is fabulous! Food is great, and service is even better.RosemarySpecial Features:
- Could eat the parmesan truffleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2012Could eat the parmesan truffle fries all day every day. $1 oysters at the bar and awesome small plates of food where everyone can sample a bit of everything!Special Features:
- Delicious 'small plates'.WorldTravelerVIPDined on 11/15/2012Delicious 'small plates'. Would recommend the burrata, brussel sprouts, and steak tacos. While we had a bit of privacy from the cocktail scene up front, we felt forgotten by our waitress at times.
- A terrible experience. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2012A terrible experience. We were redeeming our Gilt City voucher, and wish we had never bought it in the first place. Glacial service. Below average food. Drinks and ambiance were fine.
- Great spot! Loved the liveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Great spot! Loved the live DJ, the drinks and the ambiance.Special Features:
- Fun, hip vibe!MarfaDined on 11/3/2012Very lively, young, hip atmosphere. The mixed drinks were superb and the food was excellent. Service was wonderful at the start - we got there on the early side at 6:30 pm. As it got later, and the place got crowded, out waiter got pulled in too many directions and the service was slow. Super nice waiter, however.Special Features:
- We were there at six so itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2012We were there at six so it was quiet until about 7 when things definitely picked up and by 8 they were rousing. We thought the small plate idea was great though the men in our group would have liked a larger meal rather than two small ones. The food was delicious but would've like more salad options. Service for the pizza was too slow...over all, we had a good time but might not choose as a pre theater place to go.Special Features: