272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
272 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solunasf.com/
- Phone: 4156212200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 2:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:30pm - 7:30pm
NOTE: Kitchen closes at 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please visit our website at www.solunasf.com and view our Events Menu for details.
- Special Events: Special Events are welcome. Please contact Rene Denis or Dave Bullers for details.
- Cross Street: Larkin
- Public Transit: Public Transit Stops: Civic Center Bart & Muni Stations - 2 blocks MUNI 5 Fulton - .5 blocks 19 Polk - .5 blocks 47 Van Ness - 2 blocks 49 Mission/Van Ness - 2 blocks Golden Gate Transit - .5 blocks
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public lot located beneath Civic Center Plaza and on Larkin between McAllister and Larkin. Street parking is also available and is free after 6pm.
A word from 272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
Located on Civic Center Plaza across the street from the Asian Art Museum, 272 Soluna Cafe and Lounge offers a classic Californian-American Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (35)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (15)good for groups (12)hot spot (10)romantic (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- BarbaraVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was excellent. We both had salmon. Tables (booths) are little bit too close together. I would suggest that they add some dinner size salads.Special Features:
- GreatbeautiqDined on 9/18/2014Pleasantly surprised that the food was great. Waitstaff interaction was a little touchy however manager expertly handled situation. Did I say I loved the food? Yes, the halibut was delicious, fresh and prepared beautifully and paired with sauces I adore. I will return.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceSpringfunDined on 9/17/2014We selected this restaurant for it's proximity to the Orpheum Theater as we were heading to the show after dinner, and as soon as we arrived we were glad we ended up here. Our group of five were seated right away and our server was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. She helped us select a bottle of wine and made recommendations for our meal as well. We all enjoyed our food very much except for the steak which was a little tough. When we informed our server she let her manager know who took off half the price of that meal, which was in no way expected but very appreciated. We would definitely recommend as a pre-theater dinner or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre-show DiningRosalieGVIPDined on 9/16/2014If you are attending a performance at the Orpheum, this is a perfect place to eat before the show. It is only a few blocks away. We had really good hamburgers and fries. We shared a tasty Caesar salad that is big enough for two. The server was excellent, professional and nice. Loved that you didn't have to ask for water refills or to have the plates cleared away...very attentive and prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a pre-show dinnerVVcasualdinerDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is right at Civic Center, so it's very convenient for a pre-show dinner if you are going to the Symphony, something at the Orpheum, Bill Graham, etc. However, I highly recommend you make reservations, because it's a very small restaurant and it fills up early on weekends. The food is great and they have great service. It's not a quick dinner though, so make sure to leave enough time to enjoy your dinner before your show. The cheese plate is nice and the bread pudding is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiscuitDined on 9/11/2014First time at this restaurant. Food was ok but not great. Probably will not return.
- Great before theaterrmohDined on 9/3/2014Enjoyed our meal very much before show at orpheum, appreciated the free dessert (amazing marshmallows!) great cocktail menu tooSpecial Features:
- Yummy Comfort Food OptionsJayMVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had the cheese sandwich (guyere!) and the tomato bisque, which was to DIE for! My companion had the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad. Neither of us had ever seen yellow watermelon, at first we thought it was pineapple. Balanced between us, as the salad was not quite enough, and I'd not be able to finish a whole yummy cheese sammy. This was a third visit, and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Show timeBillDined on 8/30/2014If you are seeing a show in the Civic Center area, this is the place to go to. Food was very good and reasonably priced for San Francisco.Special Features:
- An Orpheum MustPhilVIPDined on 8/27/2014We were a party of six and had matinee tickets for the Orpheum. We were looking for a restaurant within walking distance. 272 Soluna met that criterion and more. The food, service and setting were the perfect beginning to an afternoon in the City.Special Features:
- Good for pre-theatre diningpickeyeaterDined on 8/26/2014This cafe is very near the Orpheum Theatre, so it's great for dining before attending a performance. They lots of small plates and lighter fare which I liked. My main complaint is that they do not offer a potato (or other non-grain type) vodka for all of us trying to limit our gluten intake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre readyKnrosesanDined on 8/22/2014The food was spectacular. We had corn hatch chile chowder and fried chicken. The wine was wonderful. We had John Duval Plexus. You must have a reservation on event nights. We were going to the Orpheum and there was another event that night as well so the place was hopping. They are prepared for that and get you in and out with great food and service. We have tickets for a show in November and are already reserving our table. A new favorite.Special Features:
- Great pre-show dinner spot!NapadinerDined on 8/21/2014Always our favorite dining spot when going to the Orpheum. Great food and bar...wonderful energy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgetful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014We were here for a pre-show dinner. The place was not especially busy on a Thursday night, but the service was terrible. We waited 10 minutes after being seated before I finally asked the general manager slumped against the wait station if he could help us get a beer. When we finally saw our server we ordered a bottle of wine, which she forgot to put in and we had to remind her as we got our meals. The meals were fine, a little under seasoned, but seemingly fresh ingredients.
- Best hamburger everMaryVIPDined on 8/21/2014I rarely eat red meat but based on the reviews on Open Table I decided to have that at Soluna. It was the best hamburger I've ever had (they grind the meat there, sirloin, brie, brioche...). My friend and I were in a hurry to make a show at 7 pm and the waitress worked with us to make sure we had a nice experience and got out in time. I would definitely go to Soluna again if in the Civic Center area.Special Features:
- Slow and nervous placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Went to Soluna about an hour before a theatre show at the Orpheum. Big mistake. The staff was very slow - 15 minutes for a glass of wine to arrive. It was clear other patrons were having timing problems. One complained they had been waiting for an hour - others seem as upset as we were. As time went by we lost confidence we would get our food on time. The staff was not rude but not pleasant either - a nervous bunch unable to handle the pressure. We asked our order be cancelled. The waitress persuaded us our food would be out in two minutes and so we waited closer to ten minutes after that. When the food arrived it was ok but we had to eat in a big rush so it ended up being a not so pleasant dinner. Would not recommend.
- dinner before MotownrunallanDined on 8/19/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner prior to attending that night's performance of Motown at the Orpheum. Easy parking across the street at the Civic Center garage. We were seated promptly and enjoyed great service all evening. The food was delicious. Our group had either the salmon or halibut, and both were outstanding. The only difficulty we experienced was with the drinks and wine service. They were extremely slow to be delivered to the table. Our server explained that the bar was extremely busy, but it appeared they were using two bartenders. One of our party never did get his martini delivered to the table. We were not, however, charged for the drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BryanDined on 7/31/2014Had a very enjoyable meal. Everyone at our table were very pleased with the food. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BurgerMargaretVIPDined on 7/31/2014Visited Soluna before a show at the Symphony with my friend. Service was above and beyond, our waitress had an excellent suggestion on wine, and we were really happy we listened to her recommendation. We ordered the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad, which was a nice little starter to share. Friend had the salmon which she said was really good. I had the burger w/ brie and it was outstanding! Perfectly cooked, yummy onions and a generous amount of brie. So delicious. The fries were a nice accompaniment but nothing special. A great spot for a pre-show dinner.Special Features:
- Great clams and burgers!sharonbVIPDined on 7/25/2014We chose the restaurant because it was close to the Asian Art Museum, where we were attending an event. The food was very good - steamed clams with an excellent chorizo broth, and wonderful hamburgers - including black garlic aioli and triple-cream brie. Service was good. If I have any complaint, it is the wine list. It is extremely expensive with regard to the corresponding food prices and the casual style of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good, and could be even betterRonlroVIPDined on 7/25/2014I understand how there have been such mixed reviews... The food is good, the servers are very helpful and friendly, the atmosphere is quite pleasant, and the location is perfect event in the area. Yet, the timing of service has something to be desired. We were seated promptly, and immediately offered to order drinks. Why, when the bar is not packed, does it take 15 minutes for a cocktail and a glass of wine to appear, after appetizers are already on the table. Still, the meal was good, and the waitpeople were very helpful. We'll be back and try again.
- Perfect for shows near City CenterSparkleeParkDined on 7/16/2014Needed a reservation before a talk at SF Jazz Center.. this restaurant didn't look like much on the outside, but the service was fabulous, the fish amazing, and the focus on our own tight schedule much appreciated. People at the Bar Tables seemed to be hip and happy, we weren't there long but it appeared that these were regulars, drinking an noshing.Special Features:
- Friendly Staff, Decent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014This was our first time eating here. I was concerned because of all the reviews mentioning slow service, as we had a concert to get to. But I made the reservation 2.5 hours before we estimated the band was going on. The employees were all very friendly! The space is decorated nicely. However, the service is indeed dreadfully slow. We needed the whole 2.5 hours. It took about 1/2 hour just to bring the first round of beers. Water was delayed because they were out of glasses. We finally got our water as the bill came (not kidding). The food was decent, definitely NOT worth what they were charging. If I was in the area, I'd go back for drinks, but not for dinner. Unless they pick up the pace and quality, or drop their prices about 30%.Special Features:
- Food ok, service not so muchNotpickyVIPDined on 7/11/2014The four of us had dinner here before a concert and everything started well. Two of the dishes, pork and fish came out pink and undercooked. When this was shown to the servers, all we got was attitude and they reluctantly took the food back and brought it back with only a slight improvement. Overall, the other food was decent. The cheese plate appetizer was excellent. The server attitude was poor. If they hadn't added the tip to the bill, we would have left a much smaller one
- A Must RepeatBabe1Dined on 7/5/2014I was introduced to Soluna's food treasures by a friend, before a ballet performance 6-7 years ago. Myself and daughter are symphony, ballet and opera lovers. We love Soluna and introduced many of our friends to the place where the food and smiles never disappoint. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a noteworthy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014I had high hopes for this dining experience. I was going to the Opera with my partner and was looking to try a new restaurant to begin the evening. The place was not busy at all. We ordered cocktails and they arrived after our salad course. We finished our cocktails and salad and waited 15 minutes before we were approached again. Our dinner arrived before we were ever asked for our wine choices. The meal was fair--I had the halibut which was pretty good--my partner had the risotto which was seasoned very poorly. We were seated at a booth in the very back of the restaurant; which we did not mind except for the open curtains that revealed a very dirty/trash filled patio. I know its edges the Tenderloin, but please.
- MissPinkDined on 7/2/2014A vibrant spot with delicious, creative dishes and friendly service. Soluna is located near the symphony hall, which is why we dined there. They are slammed from 5:30-7:00 on symphony nights, but they accommodated our timing.Special Features:
- Bad time, after a few good onestheatergoerDined on 7/2/2014This is our favorite spot for pre-theater/symphony/opera dining... good, but just far enough from the venues that it's not impossible to get an early dinner reservation on show nights. We've been there 3 or 4 times before and had good experiences. But this time, someone screwed up somewhere, and we ended up waiting ~75 minutes for our entrees, and just barely wolfed them down in time to get to the show on time. They did knock $50 off the bill for their screw-up ... but I'd rather have paid the full amount and had a good experience!Special Features:
- The wrong memorable experienceNotAgainDined on 7/2/2014Party of three. 5:30 pm reservation, Wednesday night before symphony concert; 7:30 pm so not rushed Atmosphere terrible, borderline depressing. Service started OK but deteriorated a lot. Two appetizer arrived not as ordered and poor quality. Entrees, two salads & one pan seared Halibut Requested all arrive at same time. Salads arrived first, halibut later. Salads were good looking and flavorful. Halibut; very badly overcooked; burned, dry, tough, stringy texture. Love halibut; cook it a lot myself. Halibut is easy to cook right, difficult to get really wrong but they did. I regret a lot not sending halibut back, salad replacement and speaking to manager. I think that was unfair of me to the restaurant.
- Such a great find in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/2/2014We went back to Soluna yet again for a Board candidate interview, and again had the perfect lunch situation. The experience at the door is great, the menu is diverse enough for everyone and everything we've tasted is delicious, the service is unobtrusive but prompt, and the tables are far enough apart that it's possible to have a thoughtful conversation with a larger group and be able to hear each other well. They really do a great job - enough so that the 2 or 3 other places we used to go have totally dropped off our list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/1/2014Dined here prior to going to Showboat. Food was delious. Staff attentive, even gave us a wine tasting of their recommended wine when the one we wanted was unavailableSpecial Features:
- Dependably goodMarketCynicDined on 6/28/2014With its location near the SF Asian Art Museum, and a short walk to the Opera, the Symphony, and Nourse Auditorium, Soluna is one of our favorite go-to picks whenever we're in that part of SF. Not far from Civic Center BART. Try Mary's Fried Chicken or the Arctic Char. The whole menu's good, and the service is usually great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Pre-Symphony DinnerMallenDined on 6/21/2014Everyone in our party of six thought the food was delicious. I had the halibut - it was perfectly cooked and the sauce and accompaniments were just delicious. Presentations and service were very nice. Our wait person got us off to the the symphony on time. One nice thing about this restaurant is that you can have a conversation which added to the overall enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem with excellent food!JuliaPDined on 6/7/2014I don't understand why this restaurant is not busier! The food is extremely good, service was excellent and it's only a few blocks from the Symphony and SF Opera. Perfect for an early dinner before a performance. Their burger (made in house) and fries was pretty amazing as was my friends Ahi tuna salad.Special Features:
- Out of gin?!PaulVIPDined on 6/7/2014How could a place that calls itself a "Lounge" be out of Bombay Sapphire at 6pm on a Saturday? Walk to the nearest store and buy a couple bottles, bartender!! Food was very average. The only saving grace was our helpful, apologetic server.
- Great Dining Experiencedine4funVIPDined on 6/6/2014We come here often when we are in the area for an event, and each time it has been fabulous. The service is helpful and friendly, and the food is perfectly prepared with fresh ingredients. We usually order wine, and the server has always been very knowledgable and completely on target with a recommendation. It is one of our favorite restaurants for good reason.Special Features:
- A great burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/6/2014I eat here often and this last time was a real treat. The best burger I've had in a long timeSpecial Features:
- First time there but not the last!ChrisDined on 6/3/2014Mac & Cheese was out of this world, creamy and cheesy, get the porcetta on top! Don't usually eat Fried Chicken, but it looked so good being served to another table that I had to have it and it was a great choice. Crisp, very moist and favorful! The drink menu was was pretty good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackDined on 6/3/2014The Soluna was good and the server and bartender friendly. I will probably go there again, but only if nothing else is available.
- The following 1170 reviews are from the 272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge reviews archive.
- good place pre-opera/symphonysanfrandanDined on 5/24/2014food imaginatively prepared: my risotto with mushrooms had a lot of wood mushrooms and was, therefore, very mushroomy. Stefan's halibut was nicely done with good accompaniments.