272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
272 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solunasf.com/
- Phone: 4156212200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 2:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:30pm - 7:30pm
NOTE: Kitchen closes at 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please visit our website at www.solunasf.com and view our Events Menu for details.
- Special Events: Special Events are welcome. Please contact Rene Denis or Dave Bullers for details.
- Cross Street: Larkin
- Public Transit: Public Transit Stops: Civic Center Bart & Muni Stations - 2 blocks MUNI 5 Fulton - .5 blocks 19 Polk - .5 blocks 47 Van Ness - 2 blocks 49 Mission/Van Ness - 2 blocks Golden Gate Transit - .5 blocks
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public lot located beneath Civic Center Plaza and on Larkin between McAllister and Larkin. Street parking is also available and is free after 6pm.
A word from 272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
Located on Civic Center Plaza across the street from the Asian Art Museum, 272 Soluna Cafe and Lounge offers a classic Californian-American Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (32)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (17)good for groups (11)romantic (9)special occasion (9)hot spot (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Horrible ExperienceJadedDined on 4/18/2014The men's bathroom was out of service, so men were using the women's restroom. When the man in our party went into the women's room, he locked the door because he believed that was the appropriate thing to do (as do I, as a woman). When he returned to our table, a female customer came to table and hostilely and loudly berated him for locking the door while he was using the toilet, saying that he was "sketchy" for doing that. She was so out of line, but the worst part was that the service staff just watched her do it and did nothing to intervene, which would have been appropriate. I strongly suspect that if my male guest said these things to the female diner, the staff would have intervened. The whole thing was so inappropriate.
- AmbienceNickiDined on 4/8/2014A small but very well run restaurant with a lively bar scene. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingjnb75Dined on 4/3/2014When the food was delivered to our table, one of the dishes was on the "cold" side. My friend asked if it could be heated up and the waiter said it wouldn't be a problem. The only problem was, it took forever to get her food back and we were waiting until it came to start our food. In the meantime, our meals cooled off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is close to good parking andFoodloverDined on 4/1/2014Is close to good parking and the the Orpheum, Opera and Ballet. They are very amenable to splitting orders and food portions are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseJudyVIPDined on 3/29/2014We were looking for a restaurant within an easy walk of "Speakeasy", an experiential theater piece staged near city hall, so we selected Soluna for proximity, not for expected excellence. We were pleasantly surprised by the ambience, the quality of the food and service: our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful: for example, she gave our friend a taste of wine to try before ordering. The food was beautifully presented and delicious and the price was quite reasonable. I would go again and I recommend this restaurant. Particularly good: the chocolate mousse dessert and the tuna caesar salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect every time!CAdamsVIPDined on 3/15/2014I'm a big fan of Soluna. I used to work in the area, and would regularly go there for lunch with colleagues. Last year, when planning our City Hall nuptials, we decided to host our wedding lunch there (ps- it went off without a hitch- best day ever). This last weekend we decided to return for our anniversary. We had reservations at seven- it was great timing because the crowd was mostly a pre-show group, and the restaurant cleared out around 8:00pm. We had such a nice, long relaxing dinner. The food was AMAZING and the service was perfect. We'll definitely return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre-Theatre SpotAimersbVIPDined on 3/15/2014We needed a last minute place for dinner before the ballet. Would recommend for this - they get the timing required, and service is pretty snappy. Food overall was just meh - a little salty - but was completely fine for before the ballet. I'd do it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine when better places are fullhrmhrmDined on 3/12/2014Staff is pleasant. Some dishes so-so, some good. Food took almost an hour to arrive. Dim light is can't hide fact that bathrooms are gross.Special Features:
- Hearty AND Very GoodbugzieVIPDined on 3/12/2014Come here for lunch a lot -- there's something for everyone on the menu, the prices are extremely reasonable, the food is delicious, and the portions are ginormous -- servers are always friendly and helpful. It's the proverbial, what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and good food.cinsolVIPDined on 3/10/2014I haven't been to Soluna in a while and was pleasantly surprised by both the attentive waitstaff, the expanded menu and the excellent food. A welcome respite in the restaurant desert of Civic Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One dish not up to parEenieADined on 2/28/2014Soluna is one of my favorite restaurants for many reasons: perfect location near the Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall and the Orpheum and great food. However, --and this is a rarity-- we were disappointed this week with the veggie burger, made from a mushroom-garbanzo mixture that completely fell apart when you tried to eat it. The flavor wasn't bad, but in retrospect I should have requested catsup and mustard. I should know better, though. The regular beef hamburger (the Civic burger) is one of the best in town, and I should have just gotten that. But if you do order the veggie burger, just be prepared to eat it with a fork. It's a great restaurant and it's rare to feel disappointed with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/26/2014We really enjoyed Soluna...from start to finish. The ambiance is stylish, but cozy. Our food was delicious, and service was impeccable - professional and efficient but still friendly and down to earth. Cocktails are delicious and well-balanced, and the wine list is interesting and has a lot of diverse choices to suit all palates. The food is amazing - the pork chop is smoky and tender, the mac-and-cheese is creamy, crunchy, and utterly decadent! Highly recommend the brussels sprouts as well...and the soup of the day...actually, everything we had was perfect! All of the waitstaff was smiling, efficient, and performed their jobs with the perfect blend of friendliness and professionalism. We loved Soluna, and look forward to recommending it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for symphony goersScooterDined on 2/22/2014I have been t this restaurant before and was always satisfied, and it was no different this time. The Atlantic Char was delicious and cooked to perfection. However, if you are expecting a plate piled with food, you won't get it. The portions are very European, and will not leave you feeling stuffed.Special Features:
- quite good food, but service issuesBenthicVIPDined on 2/22/2014At the next table, a couple canceled their dessert order, demanding their check, because it had been 20 minutes since they ordered and they would be late to the symphony. I believe them because it literally took us 30 minutes to get drinks! But then our entrees came when we had only eaten a few bites of our appetizers. The food was quite good, but they really need to iron out the pacing--especially since their main crowd is people headed to the symphony/ballet/opera.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014Poor service, mediocre food and overpriced. We will not be back. We were there over 2 hours due to very slow service. One course never came. We will not return.
- Food Great, Service HorribleCivicCenterConnoisseurDined on 2/22/2014For the second time in a row, Soluna failed. Although the food was good, service was abyssmal. It started out OK, with appetizers and entrees appearing in a reasonable time. Then, service all but evaporated completely. We waited more than 20 minutes for our plates to be cleared. We decided to try dessert, although we had a performance to attend. A server didn't reappear for 10 minutes. We placed our dessert orders and watched the clock. Sure enough, another 20 minutes passed with no sign of our treats. We cancelled the dessert order, and asked for the check. It was more than 5 minutes for the check to arrive, then another 10 minutes while the server darted about with the check in the apron pocket. Needless to say, we were late for the show.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/21/2014Try the fried chicken..best in town. Surf n turf burger was fantastic as well. Service was impeccable. Will return many times.Special Features:
- A Nice SurprisePrettyVIPDined on 2/20/2014We attend performances in the area regularly and usually dine before or after. I'm not sure why we hadn't tried this restaurant before, but we decided to try something other than our usual standbys. We're glad we did. We arrived bit before the lunch crowd, so easily found a table. It was a nice surprise. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. The food was plentiful and good. Service was prompt (a concern given that we had tickets). We will go here again.
- Great for Dinner before the Show!MobileaccessDined on 2/19/2014The food and service are terrific and they always manage to get us to the Ballet or the Orpheum on time. The charcuterie boards are wonderful, with a good selection of cheeses and salumi combined with fabulous marinated olives, freshly made jam, good mustard and toasts. The duck carbonara was really good, with lots of duck prosciutto chips and a duck egg mixed into the past. The char was very tasty as well, with the warm fingerling potato salad and wild greens as accompaniments. My husband thought the Negroni he had was one of the best around. Don't miss the good wine selections as well. All in all, a wonderful start to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Valentine's Day Prix-FixePicadillySquareDined on 2/14/2014Everything was fantastic. The drinks were delicious as was the food that was offered. Stunning view of city hall at night. Wonderful experience that I would recommend others try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableGWIPDined on 1/30/2014We were seated promptly upon arrival at a corner table. The staff was very attentive. The food was delivered appropriately. This was a slow evening in the restaurant as there were only 4 other tables with dinners. The bar was busy and a bit noisy. We had a pleasant time before attending the SF Ballet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine. Good food.FrancisDined on 1/25/2014Waitress was classy. Food was great. Wine was excellent. Art was garish but it's all in the eye of the beholder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 272 SolunaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/25/2014I enjoyed this restaurant but thought the service was especially slow and uneven. I will give it another try as the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Food was good, the cocktails were made with unique ingredients, service was good and they got us out the door to our show at the right time.Special Features:
- Close to Orpheum TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014Well, we picked the place because it was close to the Orpheum and had decent reviews. Overall, not a bad place and the food was decent but not spectacular. Had the signature dishes of mac and cheese, friend chicken and pancetta pasta. All good but again not great. The wait staff was very good and I did like the ambience of the place but like most of San Francisco, noise is always just bearable. The only part I really had a problem with was the glass of pinot I had. The wine was okay but the glass didn't smell clean. Maybe I have too good a nose but the clothe used to polish the wine glass maybe should be replaced more often! Other then that, I would give it a strong 3 stars!
- Good food, service a little slowOrlandoVisitorVIPDined on 1/9/2014Food was good, hopping bar scene (nice long happy hour!), good service at the start of the meal. However, as the restaurant grew more crowded, our server seemed to forget about us - took ages to get a second glass of wine at the table and then another long wait for the check. Also, aside from our main server, we had 2 - 3 others bringing items to our table - confusing to know who was responsible for us and if our server had left the restaurant. We were there for pre-theater dining; luckily we built in enough buffer that we weren't in danger of missing our show. Nice place, will return, but don't cut timing too close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Before ShowJessicaVIPDined on 1/4/2014We went here before seeing the Book of Mormon at Orpheum Theater. It is close proximity to Opera and Symphony as well. Food was good and decent bar selection as well. Greatt way to start the night. However the service was a little lacking since they were busy and we had to ask for water multiple times, we also ordered a dessert, but the waitress forgot and when our check was brought we asked about it but it was too late since we had to get to the show. Also be careful when seated near the back, there is a curtain covering up a step and my mom fell as she was getting up from her seat. This is especially dangerous for elderly people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here before multipleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014Been here before multiple times and was looking forward to a good meal before a show. MaitreD was friendly and very accommodating and the food was good once we got it. The server seemed unaware about how to manage a table and how to focus and how to move the dinner along: drink mix-up at the beginning; wine sitting at the end of the bar for 10 minutes after we ordered it; didn't know who ordered the wine; took 40 minutes to get food even though we informed the server that we were going to a show and did not order a first course; ordered coffee at the end, waited 10 minutes, and finally had to go without it. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLynnDined on 1/2/2014Soluna's food is excellent. The service was slow. They forgot a spoon for my husband's soup and it took quite some time to bring it. The music does not fit the feel of the place- too much rap and electronica. But overall food great, host great, and decor pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for NYEemdionneVIPDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I were in San Francisco for the night, and I picked this restaurant because of their risotto... and we weren't disappointed. The service was very good; waiters were very attentive to our needs, and not too pushy. Drinks were excellent, and the food, beyond expectations. The menu was a set menu for the NYE. We had the followings: For appetizers: the cocktail shrimp & roasted tomatoes bisque. The shrimp were delicious, although there was no need for so much sauce. The bisque was also very tasty, but too hot to enjoy right as it reached us. For main: we had the halibut with celery root puree & the vegetable risotto. Both were simply DELICIOUS! For dessert: we had the pineapple sorbet with some mint. A great refreshment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Great food, nice place to dine before going to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, need to work on serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/31/2013To give credit, the food was very good and our waitress was very nice. My complaint is with the handoff/execution between the food and bar. We added the wine pairings and expected to get each pairing with the course. Unfortunately, each course was brought without the wine; the server had to tell the bartender to pour the appropriate wine and that took longer. Everyone was very apologetic and kept saying, "this is our first time doing this, we have to work the kinks out" If you can't execute a pairing properly, on New Year's Eve, then, just don't do it. I watched my soup get cold for 10 mins and then had to send it back. Also, we had to move to the bar for the dessert course because they were running behind - that was inconvenient.Special Features:
- Decent NYE fare.MRQ69Dined on 12/31/2013The menu was limited to a four course offering. The staff was not on point, since this was my first time here I can't say how they are normally. First the didn'ts. I didn't get a water glass, we didn't get steak knives until we asked, food came out out of sequence. the chicken breast was a bit tough and too salty. We didn't have any other issues though the tables next to us did. They both had complaints. One had a visit from the the host dude and sent food back. The dids. The food was good. Shrimp cocktail was tasty, my steak was tender and cooked perfectly. Veggies were fresh and also cooked perfectly. Mash potatoes we creamy and flavorful. Maybe the more seasoned staff had the night off? Otherwise we had a decent time here over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought NYE pre-fixe menuOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/31/2013Thought NYE pre-fixe menu was nice with enough choices. Liked the option of $20 wine pairing. Food was really good. Service was just okay. Host didn't want us to sit at the bar when we arrived early for a cocktail even though the place wasn't crowded.Special Features:
- Good dinner & good serviceWoodyDebrisDined on 12/31/2013Very good dinner before an evening performance at the Orpheum. Within easy walking distance from BART, so we didn't have to drive our car into SF on New Year's Eve. Considering that our server was clearly new, she did an excellent job taking care of us. We made the reservation through OpenTable, and the restaurant followed up by calling us to confirm our reservation and inform us that New Year's Eve was a prix fixe dinner. We appreciated that level of customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater spot, but go earlySanMateodinerDined on 12/27/2013We have eaten at Soluna three times before theater or symphony performances. They are only 2 blocks from the Orpheum and quite close to the symphony and opera, and it is obvious that most of their business comes from this crowd. In the past, we have been quite satisfied--the food is good and reliable, generally in the California comfort food category. On our last visit, they seemed to be backed up in the kitchen and maybe short of waitstaff. We had 6:30 reservations and arrived early, but could not be seated right away. We ordered around 6:35, but did not receive our entrees until 7:35, and had only 10' to eat. Despite the fact that the kitchen was obviously backed up, we got no information from the waitstaff until we asked about our food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Don't Ask the Wait staff.johnson5Dined on 12/26/2013The food was outstanding for the most part, save the very boring halibut dish that was highly recommended by the wait staff as the favorite. Everything else had so much flavor, I was surprised the bland fish dish was the favorite. The wait staff was not very well-educated on the wines, so make your own decisions, and enjoy your favorites. The duck pasta appetizer, burger & fries, and fried chicken were great. The butternut squash & bacon hash that came with the fried chicken was a meal in itself! Ambiance is quite nice, but kids were welcome & appropriate there. The menu was definitely kid friendly. I would highly recommend giving it a try!Special Features:
- Excellent lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/24/2013right near Civic Center/City Hall. We went just before getting married - perfect for that. Good menu choices, very good service, very good food. Comfortable interior. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Super Slow ServiceILikeFoodDined on 12/23/2013Went to Soluna for lunch with a friend on 12/23. Had read reviews that the service was a bit of a hit or miss, but I decided to try it anyways. Well, the reviews were correct. Must have waited at least 20 min. for a menu and water, and that was only after I had complained to a waitress. After placing our order, 40 min. went by and we still did not receive our food. Could not wait any longer so I asked the waitress to pack our food to go. The food came 10-5 min. later. It's unfortunate that the service and timeliness of our order was so bad because the food was actually very good. I had the soup of the day and the chicken & applewood smoked bacon sandwich. I recommend Soluna for the food but only go there if you have a lot of time on hand.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre Book of Morman dinnerta22Dined on 12/21/2013We had a delightful time at Soluna. We started with the incredible Mac-n-Cheeze. Homemade, fresh and vibrant ---highly recommended. Both the bone in rib eye and the pork chop were grilled to perfection with the sides very well done and presented. The Apple Crisp topped with orange zest vanilla ice cream had a kaleidoscope of flavors. Andrea was our server--she was a delight--friendly, non-intusive, timely and made appropriate recommendations for the dining experience. Although we had read service could be slow pre-theater, we saw no evidence of that. More than enough staff to make that happen with time to spare. Perfect spot for the Orpheum events, with convenient Civic Center parking close by.Special Features: