272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
272 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solunasf.com/
- Phone: 4156212200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 2:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:30pm - 7:30pm
NOTE: Kitchen closes at 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please visit our website at www.solunasf.com and view our Events Menu for details.
- Special Events: Special Events are welcome. Please contact Rene Denis or Dave Bullers for details.
- Cross Street: Larkin
- Public Transit: Public Transit Stops: Civic Center Bart & Muni Stations - 2 blocks MUNI 5 Fulton - .5 blocks 19 Polk - .5 blocks 47 Van Ness - 2 blocks 49 Mission/Van Ness - 2 blocks Golden Gate Transit - .5 blocks
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a public lot located beneath Civic Center Plaza and on Larkin between McAllister and Larkin. Street parking is also available and is free after 6pm.
A word from 272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge
Located on Civic Center Plaza across the street from the Asian Art Museum, 272 Soluna Cafe and Lounge offers a classic Californian-American Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
272 Soluna Cafe & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (37)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)special occasion (10)romantic (7)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- enjoyable dinnerrmohDined on 10/18/2014There are so many items on the menu i want to try - i have dined three times and always loved it!Special Features:
- Regular symphony stopKeylimepieguyDined on 10/18/2014So convenient to the City Hall area; can always get a last minute res, initial service can be slow, but food arrives quickly and is generally quite good.
- A Great Start to a Wonderful niteMfishesqVIPDined on 10/7/2014Whenever my wife and I come to the city to see the theatre, we always want to make the most of our evening. There is no better place to start than Soluna. Greeted by their friendly welcoming staff and served even during their busy times with a smile that makes you feel like you are the most important patron there. Their signature cocktails are unique, enticing, refreshing and satisfying. start out witha charcuterie board and you won't be sorry. I enjoyed the grilled pork chop. Mouthwatering. My wife enjoyed the halibut. Moist and flavorful with her every bite. Each accompanied with the appropriately paired wine. The chocolate po de creme was the perfect ending. As always, we will be back. thanks Soluna.....and we are telling our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow servicekittayDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant has a lot of things going for it. Great ambience, wonderful menu. But……..bummer if you are going to the theater. Very disorganized. The couple next to us, were an hour and a half early for their Opera performance and had to take their meal to go. The house did not comp them anything despite being unable to serve them within an reasonable amount of time. Fortunately our performance started 30 min. later, but still, our pork chops were RAW and they couldn't get our drinks to us without us asking twice. The food was good- but what a stressful situation if you want to eat in a civilized manner before a performance. I would imagine their audience are theater goers, but they were incapable of serving them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $90.00 non-meal for twohungryDined on 9/27/2014I arrived at 6:30 for fast meal before Opera. It turned out to be a really backed up night in the kitchen and the front staff I saw were scrambling, badly. We ordered drinks and meal at 6:45, got the drinks and salad at 7. Asked for some bread while waiting, no bread. At 7:20 we asked for check No main had arrived. He checked and it was under the lights. We took it, as a doggie bag and put it in the car trunk while running to the Opera. Did not make opening!! Spoiled the evening! I like the look of the place, the server was nice but how can I give the place a good rating when (dinner) took 55 minutes from my entering the restaurant at a place that is catering to the theater scene. The place was 1/2 full when we walked in
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Food was great and service was very attentive. They did a great job of getting us out in time for the show at the Orpheum despite the fact that we arrived late due to traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten pathtkgnVIPDined on 9/27/2014Mostly used by theater patrons however should not be kept just for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, all else troublingKnickerbockerVIPDined on 9/27/2014At an early dinner, prior to a performance, we found Soluna to be an odd conflict of a decently interesting menu, excellent food preparation and reasonable prices against haphazard service and a rather run-down dining room. When we arrived, the place was not crowded (it was early). Our waiter was ready for our food order before our cocktails had even arrived -- which was surprisingly much later -- and did not follow up on our drink order. Our food was creative and delicious. The restaurant was not simply quaint, or a 'neighborhood place', but rather down at the heels. Nearby diners seemed to enjoy their meals, but several also commented on the ragged service. This place is a good kitchen looking for good management.
- Convenient to Orpheum theater...BarbaraFVIPDined on 9/26/2014This place is just okay but is certainly convenient for theater-goers. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad is great!! But the salmon is very plain, no seasoning or flavoring on it at all. And the grill-steam method of cooking, while intending to keep it moist, failed. My piece was overcooked and dry.
- Another enjoyable eveningJanetVIPDined on 9/25/2014It is simply the best (and only) place to eat before going to SHN for a show. Amazing service, great atmosphere and the food is tasty and not over-complicated. Amazing vegetable side dishes too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the theater...SidWDined on 9/24/2014Chose this place because last month we came here before going to the Orpheum Theater. It's only about a 5 minute walk from BART and Orpheum. The menu is small but the items are great. Last time I had the friend chicken and this time I had the Caesar salad with crab and the Halibut. They were both delicious! Would come here again and recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soluna cafe after matineeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We were looking for a cafe style restaurant close to the theatre. Saw Soluna cafe online and decided to try it - booked a reservation with open table. What a gem! Excellent service, fun menu with charcuterie appetizers! Beautiful presentations of our food; and great pairing of entrees as presented. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a place to enjoy excellent food and good conversation with your companions - noise level was low - wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbaraVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was excellent. We both had salmon. Tables (booths) are little bit too close together. I would suggest that they add some dinner size salads.Special Features:
- GreatbeautiqDined on 9/18/2014Pleasantly surprised that the food was great. Waitstaff interaction was a little touchy however manager expertly handled situation. Did I say I loved the food? Yes, the halibut was delicious, fresh and prepared beautifully and paired with sauces I adore. I will return.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceSpringfunDined on 9/17/2014We selected this restaurant for it's proximity to the Orpheum Theater as we were heading to the show after dinner, and as soon as we arrived we were glad we ended up here. Our group of five were seated right away and our server was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. She helped us select a bottle of wine and made recommendations for our meal as well. We all enjoyed our food very much except for the steak which was a little tough. When we informed our server she let her manager know who took off half the price of that meal, which was in no way expected but very appreciated. We would definitely recommend as a pre-theater dinner or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre-show DiningRosalieGVIPDined on 9/16/2014If you are attending a performance at the Orpheum, this is a perfect place to eat before the show. It is only a few blocks away. We had really good hamburgers and fries. We shared a tasty Caesar salad that is big enough for two. The server was excellent, professional and nice. Loved that you didn't have to ask for water refills or to have the plates cleared away...very attentive and prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a pre-show dinnerVVcasualdinerDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is right at Civic Center, so it's very convenient for a pre-show dinner if you are going to the Symphony, something at the Orpheum, Bill Graham, etc. However, I highly recommend you make reservations, because it's a very small restaurant and it fills up early on weekends. The food is great and they have great service. It's not a quick dinner though, so make sure to leave enough time to enjoy your dinner before your show. The cheese plate is nice and the bread pudding is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiscuitDined on 9/11/2014First time at this restaurant. Food was ok but not great. Probably will not return.
- Great before theaterrmohDined on 9/3/2014Enjoyed our meal very much before show at orpheum, appreciated the free dessert (amazing marshmallows!) great cocktail menu tooSpecial Features:
- Yummy Comfort Food OptionsJayMVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had the cheese sandwich (guyere!) and the tomato bisque, which was to DIE for! My companion had the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad. Neither of us had ever seen yellow watermelon, at first we thought it was pineapple. Balanced between us, as the salad was not quite enough, and I'd not be able to finish a whole yummy cheese sammy. This was a third visit, and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Show timeBillDined on 8/30/2014If you are seeing a show in the Civic Center area, this is the place to go to. Food was very good and reasonably priced for San Francisco.Special Features:
- An Orpheum MustPhilVIPDined on 8/27/2014We were a party of six and had matinee tickets for the Orpheum. We were looking for a restaurant within walking distance. 272 Soluna met that criterion and more. The food, service and setting were the perfect beginning to an afternoon in the City.Special Features:
- Good for pre-theatre diningpickeyeaterDined on 8/26/2014This cafe is very near the Orpheum Theatre, so it's great for dining before attending a performance. They lots of small plates and lighter fare which I liked. My main complaint is that they do not offer a potato (or other non-grain type) vodka for all of us trying to limit our gluten intake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre readyKnrosesanDined on 8/22/2014The food was spectacular. We had corn hatch chile chowder and fried chicken. The wine was wonderful. We had John Duval Plexus. You must have a reservation on event nights. We were going to the Orpheum and there was another event that night as well so the place was hopping. They are prepared for that and get you in and out with great food and service. We have tickets for a show in November and are already reserving our table. A new favorite.Special Features:
- Great pre-show dinner spot!NapadinerDined on 8/21/2014Always our favorite dining spot when going to the Orpheum. Great food and bar...wonderful energy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgetful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014We were here for a pre-show dinner. The place was not especially busy on a Thursday night, but the service was terrible. We waited 10 minutes after being seated before I finally asked the general manager slumped against the wait station if he could help us get a beer. When we finally saw our server we ordered a bottle of wine, which she forgot to put in and we had to remind her as we got our meals. The meals were fine, a little under seasoned, but seemingly fresh ingredients.
- Best hamburger everMaryVIPDined on 8/21/2014I rarely eat red meat but based on the reviews on Open Table I decided to have that at Soluna. It was the best hamburger I've ever had (they grind the meat there, sirloin, brie, brioche...). My friend and I were in a hurry to make a show at 7 pm and the waitress worked with us to make sure we had a nice experience and got out in time. I would definitely go to Soluna again if in the Civic Center area.Special Features:
- Slow and nervous placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Went to Soluna about an hour before a theatre show at the Orpheum. Big mistake. The staff was very slow - 15 minutes for a glass of wine to arrive. It was clear other patrons were having timing problems. One complained they had been waiting for an hour - others seem as upset as we were. As time went by we lost confidence we would get our food on time. The staff was not rude but not pleasant either - a nervous bunch unable to handle the pressure. We asked our order be cancelled. The waitress persuaded us our food would be out in two minutes and so we waited closer to ten minutes after that. When the food arrived it was ok but we had to eat in a big rush so it ended up being a not so pleasant dinner. Would not recommend.
- dinner before MotownrunallanDined on 8/19/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner prior to attending that night's performance of Motown at the Orpheum. Easy parking across the street at the Civic Center garage. We were seated promptly and enjoyed great service all evening. The food was delicious. Our group had either the salmon or halibut, and both were outstanding. The only difficulty we experienced was with the drinks and wine service. They were extremely slow to be delivered to the table. Our server explained that the bar was extremely busy, but it appeared they were using two bartenders. One of our party never did get his martini delivered to the table. We were not, however, charged for the drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BryanDined on 7/31/2014Had a very enjoyable meal. Everyone at our table were very pleased with the food. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BurgerMargaretVIPDined on 7/31/2014Visited Soluna before a show at the Symphony with my friend. Service was above and beyond, our waitress had an excellent suggestion on wine, and we were really happy we listened to her recommendation. We ordered the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad, which was a nice little starter to share. Friend had the salmon which she said was really good. I had the burger w/ brie and it was outstanding! Perfectly cooked, yummy onions and a generous amount of brie. So delicious. The fries were a nice accompaniment but nothing special. A great spot for a pre-show dinner.Special Features:
- Great clams and burgers!sharonbVIPDined on 7/25/2014We chose the restaurant because it was close to the Asian Art Museum, where we were attending an event. The food was very good - steamed clams with an excellent chorizo broth, and wonderful hamburgers - including black garlic aioli and triple-cream brie. Service was good. If I have any complaint, it is the wine list. It is extremely expensive with regard to the corresponding food prices and the casual style of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good, and could be even betterRonlroVIPDined on 7/25/2014I understand how there have been such mixed reviews... The food is good, the servers are very helpful and friendly, the atmosphere is quite pleasant, and the location is perfect event in the area. Yet, the timing of service has something to be desired. We were seated promptly, and immediately offered to order drinks. Why, when the bar is not packed, does it take 15 minutes for a cocktail and a glass of wine to appear, after appetizers are already on the table. Still, the meal was good, and the waitpeople were very helpful. We'll be back and try again.
- Perfect for shows near City CenterSparkleeParkDined on 7/16/2014Needed a reservation before a talk at SF Jazz Center.. this restaurant didn't look like much on the outside, but the service was fabulous, the fish amazing, and the focus on our own tight schedule much appreciated. People at the Bar Tables seemed to be hip and happy, we weren't there long but it appeared that these were regulars, drinking an noshing.Special Features:
- Friendly Staff, Decent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014This was our first time eating here. I was concerned because of all the reviews mentioning slow service, as we had a concert to get to. But I made the reservation 2.5 hours before we estimated the band was going on. The employees were all very friendly! The space is decorated nicely. However, the service is indeed dreadfully slow. We needed the whole 2.5 hours. It took about 1/2 hour just to bring the first round of beers. Water was delayed because they were out of glasses. We finally got our water as the bill came (not kidding). The food was decent, definitely NOT worth what they were charging. If I was in the area, I'd go back for drinks, but not for dinner. Unless they pick up the pace and quality, or drop their prices about 30%.Special Features:
- Food ok, service not so muchNotpickyVIPDined on 7/11/2014The four of us had dinner here before a concert and everything started well. Two of the dishes, pork and fish came out pink and undercooked. When this was shown to the servers, all we got was attitude and they reluctantly took the food back and brought it back with only a slight improvement. Overall, the other food was decent. The cheese plate appetizer was excellent. The server attitude was poor. If they hadn't added the tip to the bill, we would have left a much smaller one
- A Must RepeatBabe1Dined on 7/5/2014I was introduced to Soluna's food treasures by a friend, before a ballet performance 6-7 years ago. Myself and daughter are symphony, ballet and opera lovers. We love Soluna and introduced many of our friends to the place where the food and smiles never disappoint. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a noteworthy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014I had high hopes for this dining experience. I was going to the Opera with my partner and was looking to try a new restaurant to begin the evening. The place was not busy at all. We ordered cocktails and they arrived after our salad course. We finished our cocktails and salad and waited 15 minutes before we were approached again. Our dinner arrived before we were ever asked for our wine choices. The meal was fair--I had the halibut which was pretty good--my partner had the risotto which was seasoned very poorly. We were seated at a booth in the very back of the restaurant; which we did not mind except for the open curtains that revealed a very dirty/trash filled patio. I know its edges the Tenderloin, but please.
- MissPinkDined on 7/2/2014A vibrant spot with delicious, creative dishes and friendly service. Soluna is located near the symphony hall, which is why we dined there. They are slammed from 5:30-7:00 on symphony nights, but they accommodated our timing.Special Features:
- Bad time, after a few good onestheatergoerDined on 7/2/2014This is our favorite spot for pre-theater/symphony/opera dining... good, but just far enough from the venues that it's not impossible to get an early dinner reservation on show nights. We've been there 3 or 4 times before and had good experiences. But this time, someone screwed up somewhere, and we ended up waiting ~75 minutes for our entrees, and just barely wolfed them down in time to get to the show on time. They did knock $50 off the bill for their screw-up ... but I'd rather have paid the full amount and had a good experience!Special Features: