247 Craven St
New Bern, NC 90436Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.247craven.com/
- Phone: 2526351879
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -2:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ashley Moser
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: 247 CRAVEN will be happy to cater any event you may have planned. Please give us a call at 252-635-1879 to discuss your party's needs.
- Private Party Facilities: 247 CRAVEN can accommodate up to 40 people for a private on-site event. Please call Chef Moser to inquire about various menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley Moser 2526351879
A word from 247 Craven
Local chef, Ashley Moser, opened 247 CRAVEN in July of 2010. Utilizing only the freshest, most local, and seasonal ingredients, Chef Moser prepares some of the most uniquely creative food of any restaurant around.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
247 Craven - Best Restaurants in New Bern ›
247 Craven reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (26)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (11)romantic (8)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- 247 CravenEchoDined on 9/5/2014247 Craven has the historic vibe captured, but our open table reservation wasn't anything impressive. We had a table for two that literally touched the hostess stand. Interior is rustic but acoustics are awful. Outdoor table would probably have been better. Service was fine, but not exemplary. The food was an unexpected plus, simply tastes - you taste the food - not a lot of sauce or distracting spices. We both had the NC Snapper special and it was well prepared. We had the cheese plate (appetizer) for dessert - it was fantastic. A great finish to the meal.Special Features:
- Great food!KellyDined on 8/29/2014My husband, adult daughter and I dined on a Friday night. The servers were great and the food was excellent. It was a nice, small place but noisy. The noise level sometimes made it hard to hear the conversation.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in Nee BernFoodieDietitianDined on 8/22/2014Hands down best place to eat in new bern. The staff do not rush you even though the dining area is small. Menu is different every time we go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!LarryBDined on 8/16/2014Dinner is always a pleasure here with creative, nicely presented plates, small or large. Our group of 4 had 4 different choices, each of which was superb. The cioppino special was especially good with plenty of saffron and lots of fish/seafood. Unfortunately we did not save room for grandma's homemade desserts this time. Continues to be the best in New Bern.Special Features:
- SlippingUnhappyDined on 8/15/2014We have been coming here every year on our way to Ocracoke from Charleston. We loved it the first time. There has been something wrong each time since. Wait staff could use some improvement. My dinner special was over cooked. Probably will try something new next time through.
- Another Great DinnerGreatDined on 8/8/20142nd time going there in the last 3 weeks. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I made reservations online which was the first time I have utilized this service and I will definitely use it again. It was my husband's birthday and 247 is one of our favorite places to eat in New Bern and since we live on Craven Street it is also a very convenient place for us to eat. The other thing we love about 247 is their Sunday brunch. We think they have the best breakfast in the area. They also have a great wait staff and they are always friendly and attentive. I would recommend 247 to anyone who enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- delicious food!SGNCDined on 8/8/2014We've always enjoyed our meals at 247Craven, but the Duck special on Friday night was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Good BirthdaysCBEATDined on 8/5/2014My wife, wife's cousin and I all have birthdays in August and wished to have a nice dinner out. Since we have eaten at 247 Craven before we have been pleased with their food and service. It again was fine. With wine, a martini, one dessert, 2 small plates and 3 entrees the bill came to $150 before tip. They offer small plates for a much lower price than entrees. I think 3-4 small plates between 2 diners would suffice most. The food is great as is the service. Enjoy. Happy birthday to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so soOpentable2014Dined on 8/3/2014I took my out of town guest to 247 Craven to impress. We were greeted well and shown to our table promptly. Our server was pleasant but not a "good listener". She got our order wrong and forgot a number of items. When specifically told "one bill", she brought 2. Without acknowledgment, a third bill was brought by another server. Confusing. As for the food, the limited menu items would suggest that they would be exceptional and they were not--just ok, nothing special. Given the competition in downtown New Bern, the upscale prices and the promo of a superb chef, I expected much more.Special Features:
- A tasty tasting menuPealringerDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I both had the chef's tasting menu:- scallop, bouillabaisse, pork tenderloin, hanger steak, strawberry cake, washed down with albarino and pinot noir. Excellent food and service, small wine list, but with good choices. A bit noisy in this small space, but not to the point of distraction. Has my highest recommendation and we will seek to eat there again any time we are visiting New Bern.Special Features:
- Fabulous DinnerLovenotneedingtocookDined on 7/26/2014Our entire experience was great, from being greeted as we entered through dessert! We had a difficult time choosing our appetizers, entrees and dessert from an amazing selection! Everything was prepared perfectly! Our server, Sue, made excellent suggestions and even checked with the chef regarding a substitution. We'll definately dine here again! Would highly recommend reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place one complaint noisyjtfranDined on 7/25/2014We have been here about 6 times this year bringing guests. the food is always outstanding, as is the service. Great beer and wine list. My only complaint is always the same TOO NOISY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMomof3Dined on 7/19/2014The food and cocktails were delicious! Our waiter did not steer us wrong when we asked what he recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful BrunchmainerDined on 7/13/2014We'd recommend reservations. 247 Craven is small but delightful. The menu offers a great cross section of selections. The wait staff was very attentive. Brunch selection was outstanding. It has been sometime since we've dined there in the evening, but looking at the dinner special from the night before, reminded us that this restaurant is a terrific place to dine in the evening.Special Features:
- Mixed BagEnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/12/2014They need to work on presentation. Food was a real mixed bag. They had a trigger fish special which was prepared almost perfectly, except it sat atop a hodgepodge of other food. The tastes were not well adapted to one another, at least for this diner, and it just looked sloppily put together. Lobster and cheese appetizer is very good, though it should be served with a baguette or other bread, not crackers. Risotto needs work, and lots of it. It is hard to prepare a creamy risotto, but I expect high end restaurants to have mastered it. 247 Craven cooks have not. Friendly, attentive service.
- Local grubBigFanDined on 7/5/2014Overall great restaurant! One of our favorites in New Bern. The menu is wonderful and the food is always excellent! I was disappointed to see the sanitation rating so low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experience!foodjunkie1Dined on 7/5/2014This restaurant was a delight! For dinner I had the coastal delight of scallops in risotto. The risotto was made to perfection and laced with crap and shrimp. It was a treat for anyone who enjoys seafood!Special Features:
- 247 is the right number!col36Dined on 7/4/2014Our fifth trip to 247....as before it was great...took friends and they agreed...New Bern has a great little bistro...if you are in town you won't be sorry you tried it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedHogriderJDined on 6/28/2014Great care is done for an enjoyable dining experience. The staff really care to see that you have a wonderful culinary experience. And kudos to the kitchen staff too. They are food artists and want to make sure your meal is a work of art as well as a tasty experience. Foodies will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014I am so happy that we selected this restaurant over some of our other options in New Bern, NC. It's a charming quiet restaurant with a very nice small, but well rounded menu. There are very unique selections to choose from and it was noticeable that everything was fresh and care was put into the preparation. Service was excellent as well. I think this is a gem and will be recommending it to all my friends/family who plan to travel to New Bern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not great ; poor serviceLUCfromNCVIPDined on 6/21/2014About our 4th or 5th time here including the special wine dinners. Our meal (I had the tile fish special and my husband had the scallops) were both quite good (about 8 out of 10) but not GREAT. The food at the wine dinners IS over the top and what I prefer. The worst part of the meal was our server, Amanda. After bringing out the apps, she never came back to get our orders for the main course. We had to track her down to get these orders placed when we were basically already done with apps. She was like "huh, what, didn't I take those orders yet". Sigh. We'll be back because we live here and there are only so many choices in town for dinner.Special Features:
- Another Fine MealDowntownFanDined on 6/20/2014Again, 247 does not disappoint. Inventive food, good beer list, good wine list. What else do you want?Special Features:
- New Menu ItemsInnkeeper215VIPDined on 6/20/2014Okay, so if you've seen any of my previous reviews, you know that 247 Craven is my favorite restaurant in New Bern. Nothing on this visit has changed anything. The Shrimp Burger was very good. Shrimp looked to be properly cleaned; coating and fry were perfection. The one suggestion I would make would be to serve it on a split hot dog bun like a Lobster Roll. The round bun made it harder to eat. The fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwich was really excellent in terms of flavors. It has some House Pimento Cheese on it and other things. I would just say perhaps don't call it a sandwich. The first bite completely crumbled the waffles and I ate it with fork and knife. But the flavors were great and I would order it again. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Interesting Dinner SpotTlaw7Dined on 6/14/2014A nice, friendly spot in downtown New Bern. Good service. Lamb dinner was delicious. Wine list has a number of reasonable choices. Recommended for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Tasty, but skimpyShalmaneserDined on 6/8/2014We went to 247 after hearing glowing reviews and the food was quite tasty, but my oyster po' boy was very lightly stuffed and my wife's entree salad was saucer-size, despite what I considered a comparatively high price. The place is very small and hectic -- you go for the food and location, not the atmosphere.Special Features:
- LouisDined on 6/6/2014I have had the pork belly wraps twice before this time it was very salty. I was so disappointed.
- The best in the area!LarryBDined on 6/5/2014Creative, delicious, delightful best describe Ashley's continuing success at 247 Craven. we had the usual great oysters, incredible lamb, fresh swordfish and salads. The glass wine selection is different and nice. The restaurant is quiet during the week. No need to drive to Kinston or Morehead City, this is the best in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Always great food. We have been there numerous times and enjoy it. They should check their supply of non-alcoholic beer before they open for the day. Numerous times they have not had it or served us their last one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT LUNCHbiglgw22Dined on 6/4/2014The food was great. We were a table of eight and the restaurant was packed. The service was over the top. The staff could not do enough. I have had brunch ,lunch and dinner and always good food, good service and will always recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 142 reviews are from the 247 Craven reviews archive.
- Great restaurantChaSTLDined on 5/29/2014One of the best restaurants we have gone to in the country, surprising to find it in this small town. Unusual combinations of tastes that are awesome. Good wine reasonable priced.Special Features:
- Fine dining experienceGerrithomDined on 5/23/2014This is an excellent restaurant. New Bern is fortunate to have such a wonderful place to dine. Food is always delicious and service is wonderful. You must try their cayenne dusted oysters and fried green tomatoes!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food but NOISYjtfranDined on 5/22/2014The food here is really, really good, the service is good but it is so noisy that you can't have a conversation. We've eaten there about 6 times in the past 2 months taking employees and friends. Rave about the food but the noisy is too much.Special Features:
- Good food in New BernBobH27513VIPDined on 5/21/2014The chef at 247 Craven has a talent for creating unique recipes. I had Soft Shell Crab Picata at a recent visit that was delicious. It was served on mashed sweet potatoes with huge capers. They also have a full bar. My only complaint is that they don't have Hendriks gin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food.MrJimmyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Went for brunch. Extremely odd and limited menu. Everything, except the coffee, was hardly edible.
- Fabulous!MLaRoccaDined on 5/17/2014This was my first experience at 247 and I was not disappointed. We were a group of 3, who LOVE fine dining. We sampled each others' plates and were all very happy with each dish! The pork belly lettuce wraps were incredible! We also were thrilled with the hanger steak, cooked perfectly and robust with flavor! The scallops were equally delicious. Their was a special the night we were there, a fresh local fish dish, it was fantastic! I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Nice local restaurantPs1994Dined on 5/16/2014If you are looking for something out of the normal steak and chicken this is the place.Special Features:
- Epicurean DelightblackcreekDined on 5/16/2014The soft shelled crab and Opah combination on a bed of scrumptious veggies and sauces did it for me! A great dining experience in a really cool little restaurant in a very unique little resort town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two thumbs upJennyDined on 5/4/2014My husband had heard good things about this place so we ventured 45 min out of town and tried it out for Sunday brunch. It was fantastic, good food, good service and friendly. I'd like to come back at night to try it out. My only complaint would be that they didn't have their Fried Green Tomatoes. I was really looking forward to those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem tucked in New BernNYFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014A must stop if you are in New Bern. Food & service will have you and your stomach smiling.Special Features: