247 Craven St
New Bern, NC 90436Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.247craven.com/
- Phone: (252) 635-1879
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -2:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ashley Moser
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: 247 CRAVEN will be happy to cater any event you may have planned. Please give us a call at 252-635-1879 to discuss your party's needs.
- Private Party Facilities: 247 CRAVEN can accommodate up to 40 people for a private on-site event. Please call Chef Moser to inquire about various menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley Moser 2526351879
A word from 247 Craven
Local chef, Ashley Moser, opened 247 CRAVEN in July of 2010. Utilizing only the freshest, most local, and seasonal ingredients, Chef Moser prepares some of the most uniquely creative food of any restaurant around.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
247 Craven - Best Restaurants in New Bern ›
247 Craven reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (29)great for lunch (15)romantic (14)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (9)hot spot (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014Celebrated our 49th anniversary at 247 Craven and was glad we did. The food was beautifully presented and totally delicious. The pork belly appetizer and duck confit entree' were standouts, as were the arugula and pear salad and scallops and shrimp over risotto. Service was quick and attentive. The restaurant is small, so noise level can rise a bit depending on who's dining near you, but it never becomes offensive. In nicer weather, two tables on the sidewalk can be an enjoyable place to eat a leisurely lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 247 Craven is a New Bern "Good Eats"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014The menu and daily specials are good and varied. A bit pricey for every day dinning but nice for a special treat out. Good places in small towns open all year are gems for the locals and tourist alike. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta Dishes are fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014We were a party of four that have been here many times. We were all pleasantly surprised by the addition of Pasta Dishes on your menu. We all chose from the Pasta Dishes and found them to be excellent!!! The presentation of the food was also 5 stars. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedSandisanwichDined on 11/11/2014Homemade pasta was great. The sauces, however, lacked flavor and complexity. Service was very nice.
- Awesome!ErikaWarchowDined on 11/8/2014I've been to 247 a few times and it never seems to disappoint. Absolutely delicious food, great service and magnificent wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PleasedJD612Dined on 11/8/2014We have attended 247 probably every 2 or 3 weeks for the last three years. We are always satisfied with every aspect of the restaurant. The food is outstanding as well as the service. I wish it were larger with more seating so it was easier to get in, but that may spoil the place. Go early or make a reservation. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- varcjOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014This is a wonderful little place. While it does not have a ton to choose from on the Menu, it does have a very nice offering and all of our meals were fantastic! One of our Best Dining experiences in the area. My advice is to make reservations ahead of time, their seating is very limited and many get turned away at the door.Special Features:
- I never get tired of this place...SkwisgaarDined on 11/2/2014Incredible food and great service, always. The menu gets changed periodically, so there's always something new to try. I was even blown away by the cheeseburger... it's easily the best I've ever had anywhere. My only gripe would be the noise... it's a small place and voices carry everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true culinary find!tsfordDined on 11/1/2014One of the best, if not top restaurants, in the greater/downtown New Bern area. The menu selection is limited due to specialized menu pairings of local, fresh ingredients and I prefer to have a chef who focuses on a few entree selections vice trying to accomodate several dishes. Wine list is great with emphasis on pairing to menu. Servers know their craft extremely well. The five course chef selection is a must. We will be returning many more times!Special Features:
- A find!MaurbettaDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food...outstanding service - we enjoyed the nightly "special". The waiter was exceptional and helped the 8 of us with our choices - he was very attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:
- A Loud EveningSenteDined on 10/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food and service but found the noise level uncomfortable. Very hard to have a conversation with our guests.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like we were back in Carmel CAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Quaint, small, cozy and warm. Food quality and taste was amazing. Small menu but focused on excellent choices.Special Features:
- Excellent Lunch MenufoodieDined on 10/21/2014This was the first-time lunch at this restaurant. Would highly recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner as their dinners are also wonderful!Special Features:
- Small but wonderful menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014First time eating here. Visited New Bern for the weekend. Went with my wife for a night out. We enjoyed the menu and ordered several small plates. Small seating area and can be noisy. A group of 10 came in while we were eating and noise level went up substantially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIRTHDAY LUNCHmarigutierrezDined on 10/8/2014Another great meal at 247- a party of 8 for birthday lunch and the food and service were terrific as always.Special Features:
- Delightful LunchMaurbettaDined on 10/8/2014A group of 8 women went to lunch. There were some unusual entrees that peeked our interest. Service was very good - wait staff attentive. Restaurant is small and if full - it can be noisy.Special Features:
- Awesome againInnkeeper215VIPDined on 9/25/2014Just went on a whim for a quick bite. I sat at the bar, but the service was still great. I ordered the Hanger Steak and it was fantastic. Juicy and cooked perfectly. The accompaniments really elevated the dish to something special. There was a big pad of Gorgonzola Butter on top of the steak that melted nicely. The most interesting thing was the Cipollini Onions which, when bitten into, gave a burst of Balsamic Vinegar. The waiter insisted that nothing was done to them other than being pickled, but I'm not sure. Either way, it was awesome. 247 Craven is still my favorite restaurant int town and the one place I look forward to going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great New Bern Experienceseafood4meDined on 9/23/2014The Oyster Po Boy was absolutely the best I have had since leaving New Orleans---Fresh and local--no Gulf oysters here!Special Features:
- 247 CravenEchoDined on 9/5/2014247 Craven has the historic vibe captured, but our open table reservation wasn't anything impressive. We had a table for two that literally touched the hostess stand. Interior is rustic but acoustics are awful. Outdoor table would probably have been better. Service was fine, but not exemplary. The food was an unexpected plus, simply tastes - you taste the food - not a lot of sauce or distracting spices. We both had the NC Snapper special and it was well prepared. We had the cheese plate (appetizer) for dessert - it was fantastic. A great finish to the meal.Special Features:
- Great food!KellyDined on 8/29/2014My husband, adult daughter and I dined on a Friday night. The servers were great and the food was excellent. It was a nice, small place but noisy. The noise level sometimes made it hard to hear the conversation.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in Nee BernFoodieDietitianDined on 8/22/2014Hands down best place to eat in new bern. The staff do not rush you even though the dining area is small. Menu is different every time we go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!LarryBDined on 8/16/2014Dinner is always a pleasure here with creative, nicely presented plates, small or large. Our group of 4 had 4 different choices, each of which was superb. The cioppino special was especially good with plenty of saffron and lots of fish/seafood. Unfortunately we did not save room for grandma's homemade desserts this time. Continues to be the best in New Bern.Special Features:
- SlippingUnhappyDined on 8/15/2014We have been coming here every year on our way to Ocracoke from Charleston. We loved it the first time. There has been something wrong each time since. Wait staff could use some improvement. My dinner special was over cooked. Probably will try something new next time through.
- Another Great DinnerGreatDined on 8/8/20142nd time going there in the last 3 weeks. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I made reservations online which was the first time I have utilized this service and I will definitely use it again. It was my husband's birthday and 247 is one of our favorite places to eat in New Bern and since we live on Craven Street it is also a very convenient place for us to eat. The other thing we love about 247 is their Sunday brunch. We think they have the best breakfast in the area. They also have a great wait staff and they are always friendly and attentive. I would recommend 247 to anyone who enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- delicious food!SGNCVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've always enjoyed our meals at 247Craven, but the Duck special on Friday night was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Good BirthdaysCBEATDined on 8/5/2014My wife, wife's cousin and I all have birthdays in August and wished to have a nice dinner out. Since we have eaten at 247 Craven before we have been pleased with their food and service. It again was fine. With wine, a martini, one dessert, 2 small plates and 3 entrees the bill came to $150 before tip. They offer small plates for a much lower price than entrees. I think 3-4 small plates between 2 diners would suffice most. The food is great as is the service. Enjoy. Happy birthday to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so soOpentable2014Dined on 8/3/2014I took my out of town guest to 247 Craven to impress. We were greeted well and shown to our table promptly. Our server was pleasant but not a "good listener". She got our order wrong and forgot a number of items. When specifically told "one bill", she brought 2. Without acknowledgment, a third bill was brought by another server. Confusing. As for the food, the limited menu items would suggest that they would be exceptional and they were not--just ok, nothing special. Given the competition in downtown New Bern, the upscale prices and the promo of a superb chef, I expected much more.Special Features:
- A tasty tasting menuPealringerDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I both had the chef's tasting menu:- scallop, bouillabaisse, pork tenderloin, hanger steak, strawberry cake, washed down with albarino and pinot noir. Excellent food and service, small wine list, but with good choices. A bit noisy in this small space, but not to the point of distraction. Has my highest recommendation and we will seek to eat there again any time we are visiting New Bern.Special Features:
- The following 161 reviews are from the 247 Craven reviews archive.
- Fabulous DinnerLovenotneedingtocookDined on 7/26/2014Our entire experience was great, from being greeted as we entered through dessert! We had a difficult time choosing our appetizers, entrees and dessert from an amazing selection! Everything was prepared perfectly! Our server, Sue, made excellent suggestions and even checked with the chef regarding a substitution. We'll definately dine here again! Would highly recommend reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place one complaint noisyjtfranDined on 7/25/2014We have been here about 6 times this year bringing guests. the food is always outstanding, as is the service. Great beer and wine list. My only complaint is always the same TOO NOISY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMomof3Dined on 7/19/2014The food and cocktails were delicious! Our waiter did not steer us wrong when we asked what he recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful BrunchmainerDined on 7/13/2014We'd recommend reservations. 247 Craven is small but delightful. The menu offers a great cross section of selections. The wait staff was very attentive. Brunch selection was outstanding. It has been sometime since we've dined there in the evening, but looking at the dinner special from the night before, reminded us that this restaurant is a terrific place to dine in the evening.Special Features:
- Mixed BagEnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/12/2014They need to work on presentation. Food was a real mixed bag. They had a trigger fish special which was prepared almost perfectly, except it sat atop a hodgepodge of other food. The tastes were not well adapted to one another, at least for this diner, and it just looked sloppily put together. Lobster and cheese appetizer is very good, though it should be served with a baguette or other bread, not crackers. Risotto needs work, and lots of it. It is hard to prepare a creamy risotto, but I expect high end restaurants to have mastered it. 247 Craven cooks have not. Friendly, attentive service.
- Local grubBigFanDined on 7/5/2014Overall great restaurant! One of our favorites in New Bern. The menu is wonderful and the food is always excellent! I was disappointed to see the sanitation rating so low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experience!foodjunkie1Dined on 7/5/2014This restaurant was a delight! For dinner I had the coastal delight of scallops in risotto. The risotto was made to perfection and laced with crap and shrimp. It was a treat for anyone who enjoys seafood!Special Features:
- 247 is the right number!col36Dined on 7/4/2014Our fifth trip to 247....as before it was great...took friends and they agreed...New Bern has a great little bistro...if you are in town you won't be sorry you tried it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedHogriderJDined on 6/28/2014Great care is done for an enjoyable dining experience. The staff really care to see that you have a wonderful culinary experience. And kudos to the kitchen staff too. They are food artists and want to make sure your meal is a work of art as well as a tasty experience. Foodies will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014I am so happy that we selected this restaurant over some of our other options in New Bern, NC. It's a charming quiet restaurant with a very nice small, but well rounded menu. There are very unique selections to choose from and it was noticeable that everything was fresh and care was put into the preparation. Service was excellent as well. I think this is a gem and will be recommending it to all my friends/family who plan to travel to New Bern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not great ; poor serviceLUCfromNCVIPDined on 6/21/2014About our 4th or 5th time here including the special wine dinners. Our meal (I had the tile fish special and my husband had the scallops) were both quite good (about 8 out of 10) but not GREAT. The food at the wine dinners IS over the top and what I prefer. The worst part of the meal was our server, Amanda. After bringing out the apps, she never came back to get our orders for the main course. We had to track her down to get these orders placed when we were basically already done with apps. She was like "huh, what, didn't I take those orders yet". Sigh. We'll be back because we live here and there are only so many choices in town for dinner.Special Features: