230 Forest Avenue
230 Forest Ave
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
230 Forest Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.230forestavenue.com/
- Phone: 9494942545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Marc Cohen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 230 Forest Avenue
Don't be fooled by the crowds and the noise; they are all part of the scene here at Laguna Beach's sexy and intense 230 Forest Avenue. The lean deep room seduces you to the open kitchen, bustling bar, and concrete floors, creating a space that is part modern bistro, part martini bar, and part art gallery. It's the perfect spot to see and be seen,laid back Laguna-style. Executive Chef Marc Cohen is consistently recognized as one of The OC's top chefs. You'll be ready to award him a medal, too, after tasting his flashy-to-the-eye, tickle-the-taste buds fusion appetizers and entrees. His dishes are often so stunning that they compete with the artwork on the walls, making for a thoroughly satisfying "artistic" experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
230 Forest Avenue - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
230 Forest Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (75)great for outdoor dining (59)hot spot (53)special occasion (52)vibrant bar scene (36)great for lunch (35)romantic (25)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (15)late-night find (14)good for groups (14)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- beautiful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had dinner with a close friend on Saturday night. The food was really delicious, our server gave us timely, courteous service, and the atmosphere was lively but with the ability to still hear the wine glasses tinkling. I had the scallops -- loved 'em.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014I have dined many times at 230 Forest. The staff is always welcoming and efficient. The food is very good and the menu has many tasty offerings. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Laguna Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 230 great food terrible seatingAbsolutetyrantDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to 230 the food is spectacular but the seating is terrible. It's so cramped in the restaurant. Usually the service and food make up for the close proximity of every other customer. Go to 230 if you want great expensive food and no privacy.Special Features:
- DeliciousAngelGDined on 8/20/2014Food is always excellent. From week to week, month to month, year to year, the choices, the service, the flavors are always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!AMFODined on 8/20/2014The salmon salad was fantastic! The warm bread and olive butter served before lunch was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to it's hypebeachbabyDined on 8/18/2014230 Forest was a great scene. Vibrant, energetic... The bread and butter at the table were yummy. Our waitress was lovely and gave a great wine recommendation. Our appetizer was good, crackling' shrimp, but our dinner, we both had the carbonara, was just ok. It needed a creamier sauce. Overall a very good restaurant, but it did not blow us out of the water.Special Features:
- Good Food/Bad ServiceSpcincaDined on 8/17/2014We made reservation for Sunday Brunch (8/17) party of 5. The restaraunt was not too busy which was nice. Our waiter, Paul, was less than helpful and slugged around like he had been forced into slavery. Guests who ordered coffee and ice tea sat there waiting for refills that only came after flagging down other staff. Another guest didnt receive the ice tea he ordered until, again, we asked another waiter. The food came out in good fashion with the exception of a salmon salad. Paul was quick to blame the kitchen for not seeing the order (hmmm). Paul seemed more interested in standing back at the kitchen chit chatting than he did in doing his job. The food here is very good and I would recommend. Just dont expect much from Paul the server.Special Features:
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We were pleased with seating, Martinez, pupus, service, cuisine, and even e spectacular birthday song on a delicious dessert!Special Features:
- Our FavoriteRealtorCamille7VIPDined on 8/13/2014We recommend this great restaurant all the time! Every item on the menu is delicious and beautifully prepared! Everything is fresh! The prices are reasonable. The service is terrific! We ordered the seared Ahi tostadas, and the fish tacos. Everything was delicious! I am a good cook but I can't hold a candle to 230 Forest!Special Features:
- In Spot in LagunaDCdinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014This is very popular restaurant in downtown Laguna. Their seafood is excellent and the service is prompt and friendly. Sometimes the crowd at the place is a little bothersome, but I realize that others like it as much as I.Special Features:
- ExcellentRedwineDined on 8/12/2014We have been coming here for years and this restaurant has remained consistently good in a town that has so many restaurants that go up and down. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive, the food was excellent, and the outdoor seating was perfect. A great place to enjoy a very good meal and people watch.Special Features:
- Satisfied diner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I was a bit relieved that it wasn't congested as some reviews Mentioned. We had a nice Table just inside. I requested an outdoor seat on my reservation they unfortunately didn't have the table available. We however were satisfied with our table. The food very good and tentative service. We attended the pageant of masters after dinner and we were able to walk it. There is metered Parking but elected to use a valet so that we could keep our car there until after the show. I Recommend this restaurant in the Laguna beach area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and crowded!TANTVIPDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I dined at 230 Forest before Pageant of the Masters. It was extremely noisy with the tables very close together. My salmon was good but not great, and the carbonara pasta did not have much flavor. We had dined at their sister restaurant the night before, and it was a much better experience.Special Features:
- bzrmDined on 8/8/2014We always enjoy great food and fun at this consistently good restaurant..Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itDedicated2mDined on 8/8/2014Not that fine dining is Laguna isn't pricey, but this place is right up there. However, concordant with the prices is excellent tasting food, prompt service, and tasty cocktails. You won't be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Gem FinderDinemasterDined on 7/31/2014A great spot where locals and tourists enjoy the Energy on Forest Avenue in Laguna Beach. The fish is fresh and cooked to perfection. Try the halibut or the mahi mahi. Enjoy creative and refreshing cocktails. Although the restaurant is always fully booked during the season you can expect attentive and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best we have had in Laguna..SatisfiedDined on 7/31/2014If you don't mind getting to know you fellow diners up close and personal you can't beat 230 Forest. The food and drinks were outstanding, the service was excellent, enough to bring us back again. Do make reservations we were there at 5:30 and they were telling people that 9:00 was the next available reservations so plan ahead through Open Table.Special Features:
- Not their finest hourVincentDined on 7/30/2014Dined there for the 5th time last nite 7/30/14. The first 4 visits were impeccable, excellent service by fun servers and the meal was excellent. We enjoy the ambiance, the meal, and the attentiveness of the wait staff. Last nite was a different story, restaurant somewhat busy but not what I consider slammed. Food was tasty but not 'as amazing' as I remember from prior visits. My wife concurred. Problem was wait time after the opening salad, 40 minutes between courses. Rather lengthy, agree? Heading to Pagent after and was unable to order dessert, too bad for you guys because I always do here. The server was melancholy and all business, which is fine if you are in a court of law. Smile and be fun! I'll return for another chance.Special Features:
- Busy and FuntryingnewplacestodineDined on 7/29/2014The shrimp appetizer was excellent and plenty to share. We just stopped in for wine and appetizers before heading out to the Pageant of the Masters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in Laguna Beach!LindaLVIPDined on 7/25/2014I dined there with a friend after an afternoon at the Sawdust Festival and Art-a-Fair, prior to going to the Pageant of the Masters. I cannot say enough awesome things about the restaurant! Our reservation was for 6:00 pm, and we never felt rushed, service was stellar, and of course the food - so many wonderful flavors! We opted to order a few small plates/appetizers - and we weren't sorry! I cannot wait to go back in a few weeks!Special Features:
- Lunch.. and morechefgearyDined on 7/25/2014Great place for lunch and perfect setting.. Food never disappoints!Special Features:
- Always can count on a great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Great service, creative menu, appropriate portions, quality ingredients, good wine menu ... did I mention great service? Really enjoyed this recent dining experience.Special Features:
- AcceptableMangiareVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was acceptable for a touristy beach town, but not exceptional. I had a swordfish special and it was way too fussy. The preparation had two large sprigs of rosemary which was too powerful for the delicate fish. My dining mate had a seafood salad that was a much better choice. In general, the salads looked the best.
- DisappointedBowwowmomDined on 7/23/2014Have eaten here several times, always look forward to it. This lunch visit was disappointing. Food was average, nothing on the lunch menu that really stood out or appealed. I don't eat French fries so asked to have them left off my plate but my plate was laden with them anyway. Asked if there could be a substitute for the fries, was told no. I live six miles from this restaurant but won't be back anytime soon since there are so many other restaurant choices. I think they are coasting on past laurels.
- Loved every minute!DesertFoxDined on 7/22/2014We have dined here many times before....always before we walked to the Pageant of the Masters. It never disappoints. Food is always delicious, fresh, and beautifully presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservation!fitfoodie18Dined on 7/21/2014This place is always packed! Make a reservation to guarantee a table. Amazing food but not the best service. It's very tightly packed to the point where you could join your neighboring table's conversation if you would like. Not recommended for claustrophobic people but still amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before POMSurfSDDined on 7/21/2014We had an awesome dinner here before Pageant of the Masters. Arrived at 6:15 and promptly ordered cocktails-with blue-cheese stuffed olives, and a few appetizers. Oysters were great, but the fried Brussels sprouts and bacon were even better. We had the diver scallops and ahi rare for our mains and loved them both (preferred the scallops). Quick but not rushed service and walked to Pageant from here.
- Sunday Lunch in Laguna BeachchefbobcatVIPDined on 7/20/2014After a great weekend in Laguna Beach that included Pageant of the Masters on Friday night and the Sawdust Festival on Saturday, my wife and I experienced a great lunch at 230 Forest Avenue before we left for home. As usual, the food and the Bloody Marys/Marias were excellent. The staff did a great job of taking care of our needs and providing a pleasurable dining experience. The Halibut Chowder, a menu main stay, is always consistently great as was the Pulled Pork Sandwich and the Cheeseburger that we ordered. 230 Forest Avenue is a Laguna Beach restaurant that every visitor to this beach town must enjoy. Of all the meals we experienced during our stay, this was the best dining experience we had all weekend.Special Features:
- Delicious diningLovingLugunaDined on 7/17/2014This is our 2nd visit and we were NOT disappointed .. I ordered the chicken penne and had a large amount leftover for my lunch the next day.. I love the way they serve the warm French bread still toasty in its individual paper bag.. My husband had the shrimp scampi with penne and he couldn't say enough about it.. The service was excellent on both visits we were lucky enough to get a patio seating both times and had the same server who was on top of his game at every minute.. If you haven't eaten here yet.. You must make the trip to Laguna.. This charming place is not far from the beach so the ocean freshness is so romantic..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spot in LagunambeachyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Love this place!!!! Outstanding food, great drinks and excellent service. We have been been coming to 230 Forest for over 10 years-great to see such consistency on a high level.Special Features:
- 230 is near perfect!suzieDined on 7/15/2014230 has delicious food. their seafood salad is all crab and shrimp, very little lettuce. Yum! Burgers are great as are the shoesring fries. Service is always good, friendly and attentive. Our fave in Laguna Beach! Great coctktails and wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceToriDined on 7/13/2014I have been coming here for years. Usually everything is perfect. But no so this time. Bad service over cooked food. Was contacted by management the next day to apologize which was great
- One of our regulars60somethingDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I live nearby and this is one of our regular lunch and dinner stops. Great food. Good service. Lots of energy. Bread served hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodStephanieDined on 7/11/2014Had lunch there on Friday. My burger was the best I have ever had. My husband thought his Brie and tomato sandwich was delicious. We dined outside and had excellent service. We look forward to returning in the fall.Special Features:
- Like a sardineTastingOCDined on 7/9/2014I felt like a sardine in this restaurant after we were seated on a two-top. There was one inch of space between the two-top next to us, and our "neighbors" could overhear every word we said! This kind of closeness is great for a bar, but NOT when you are dining out. I am not going back
- Good place.PleasedVIPDined on 6/30/2014230 Forest is a nice restaurant/bar in the heart of the Laguna Beach shopping area. Drinks are great and if you sit outside, it's a nice people watching location. The food is good, albeit more eclectic than I prefer. I would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- Perfect for any occasionLagunaGWVIPDined on 6/30/2014I was here on a business lunch but would also bring a date. The food was incredible and ambiance pure foodie heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummysandy1000Dined on 6/24/2014This was our first time at 230 and it was worth every penny. We went for lunch and were seated on the patio. The service was wonderful and the server gave us time without rushing us. The sandwiches were very good and the shoestring fries were seasoned perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceLagunaLocal2Dined on 6/23/2014We've been to this restaurant several times and were so disappointed with the terrible service the last time. We waited almost 20 minutes before anyone greeted us at the table and had to flag down a bus boy every time we wanted to order a drink or food. They said that they were unusually busy that evening but I never saw a manager. The food also took forever and wasn't very good (but no server came to check if we were happy). I called the manager when I got home and he apologized and offered to give me a future gift certificate but honestly I won't go back. Huge disappointment.
- DeedotVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great food. Small space so they pack you in there. We had a table on the patio. It was loud but it's a happening place and it was a Saturday night so that didn't bother us. The food was amazing from shrimp, halibut, steak, salad and dessert. The server & host could have been friendlier but the managers were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.