230 Forest Avenue
230 Forest Ave
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
230 Forest Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.230forestavenue.com/
- Phone: (949) 494-2545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Marc Cohen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 230 Forest Avenue
Don't be fooled by the crowds and the noise; they are all part of the scene here at Laguna Beach's sexy and intense 230 Forest Avenue. The lean deep room seduces you to the open kitchen, bustling bar, and concrete floors, creating a space that is part modern bistro, part martini bar, and part art gallery. It's the perfect spot to see and be seen,laid back Laguna-style. Executive Chef Marc Cohen is consistently recognized as one of The OC's top chefs. You'll be ready to award him a medal, too, after tasting his flashy-to-the-eye, tickle-the-taste buds fusion appetizers and entrees. His dishes are often so stunning that they compete with the artwork on the walls, making for a thoroughly satisfying "artistic" experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
230 Forest Avenue - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
230 Forest Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (36)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (26)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (17)late-night find (11)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)good for groups (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014Filet of beef baked and over cooked what no broiler really wrong with no taste this place was once great now just fairSpecial Features:
- Great experience molds to your needLagovineDined on 11/8/2014The wine list is thin but fantastically provisioned and priced. The food is some of the best we have had (including Paris). This place rated well so we tried it. We were staying at Disneyland and wanted to get out. It is not a family place, they don't even have a kids menu. That said, they completely adapted for us. Made the kids welcome and cooked them some wonderful off menu food. We were in and out (at our request) and our highly experienced waiter was right on our level. We don't recommend you come with kids (for your sake) but the point is they do what is necessary to make your evening great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and delicious!ShoshanaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Every one of the 6 dishes we ordered was beautiful to look at (we took pictures) and SO delicious! We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Great serverOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/6/2014We had the nicest and most attentive server, Stephanie... Food excellent...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Good food; friendly, attentive service;reasonable prices. 230 Forest Avenue is located centrally in Laguna Beach on a walkable street in the midst of a popular shopping and strolling area.Special Features:
- luv2eatluv2eatDined on 10/25/2014Host and hostess were awesome, they took care of my son and I from the minute we arrived. Waiter was professional, courteous, talked to us about the special, recommended desert and was very interactive & polite but not pushy during dinner. Food was excellent as always, appetizer, salad, entree's - house special and halibut were outstanding. Wonderful evening at 230 ForestSpecial Features:
- Good decent placeChancer79Dined on 10/25/2014Food was good, not amazing but worth the visit Loved the brussel sprouts appetizer!Special Features:
- 230 Forrest is always a Hit!MrsgincaDined on 10/24/2014If you like a hip energetic vibe with great cuisine, 230 Forrest is your spot. Every item on the menu has always pleased my palate!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodEydieDined on 10/17/2014230 Forest - truly fantastic food, excellent service, noisy and crowded at the peak dinner hour, fun with friends, romantic with an early or late reservation, good for special occasionSpecial Features:
- Very disappointingdaijonesVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server while she smiled all the time she did it with an attitude maybe because we brought our own wine so she was not going to get as big a tip, don't know. She was good keeping our water topped up and we do drink a lot so that was good. Menu is limited and not really healthy options, appetizers and salads were reasonable. Main courses came and Chilean sea bass was OK but very rich/creamy risotto and undercooked asparagus and filet minion was a very poor cut of meat and was dry and tasted basically off so we sent it back and eventually got a second Chilean sea bass. Oddly this restaurant has same owner as watermarc which is one of our favorites.
- danainhbDined on 9/25/2014Our experience at 230 Forest was very positive. Great food, good service and atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Outstanding FoodLagunatic53Dined on 9/24/2014Every dish was delicious & beautifully presented! The prosciutto-wrapped shrimp appetizer was excellent. Our table of 3 ordered Shrimp Scampi, Ahi Tuna, & the night's special Swordfish with pesto, and we shared the chocolate souffle for dessert. Our food arrived quickly. Our waiter, Jorge from Peru, was polite & professional but inattentive & unfriendly, unlike Dan, the bartender or the host. We had to look for him to order more drinks and bread, and were half finished with dinner before he came back to ask if everything was satisfactory. Cocktails, 1 appetizer, 3 entrees, & 1 dessert was $175 plus tip. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good, but pretty loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014We ate at 230 on Friday night with a 7:00 reservation and were seated outside. The tables are very close together,the restaurant was extremely loud so it was almost impossible to hold any kind of conversation. We ordered the Carpaccio which was good. Our entrees were the salmon which was quite nice, and the mahi mahi that was only fair. Mahi was served on a roasted cauliflower "steak" which was very tough. Wine list by the glass was great and the pour was genrous. Our server was very knowledgeable and prompt. This might be a better lunch choice than dinner given the noise level.Special Features:
- Eat somewhere else in LagunaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014No air conditioning makes dining at 230 Forest miserable. Overcooked food also makes eating at 230 Forest Miserable. Therefore I would recommend you dine else where and save your hard earned cash.
- best in LagunaejbmdDined on 9/8/2014We visit Laguna for a few days every year after the Pageant. We have tried many of the restaurants and 230 is by far our favoriteSpecial Features:
- Very creative foodCindiDined on 9/6/2014The seafood salad is delicious on a hot day. Great wine list and professional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodSueSDined on 9/5/2014Our dinner was good quality food, served well by attentive staff who genuinely cared about our experience on the night. The restaurant was a little noisy for an intimate dinner and there wasn't a lot of space between tables, but overall it represented good value for money in downtown Laguna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful eveningcyndyviewDined on 8/30/2014We had dinner with a close friend on Saturday night. The food was really delicious, our server gave us timely, courteous service, and the atmosphere was lively but with the ability to still hear the wine glasses tinkling. I had the scallops -- loved 'em.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014I have dined many times at 230 Forest. The staff is always welcoming and efficient. The food is very good and the menu has many tasty offerings. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Laguna Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 230 great food terrible seatingAbsolutetyrantDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to 230 the food is spectacular but the seating is terrible. It's so cramped in the restaurant. Usually the service and food make up for the close proximity of every other customer. Go to 230 if you want great expensive food and no privacy.Special Features:
- DeliciousAngelGDined on 8/20/2014Food is always excellent. From week to week, month to month, year to year, the choices, the service, the flavors are always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!AMFODined on 8/20/2014The salmon salad was fantastic! The warm bread and olive butter served before lunch was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to it's hypebeachbabyDined on 8/18/2014230 Forest was a great scene. Vibrant, energetic... The bread and butter at the table were yummy. Our waitress was lovely and gave a great wine recommendation. Our appetizer was good, crackling' shrimp, but our dinner, we both had the carbonara, was just ok. It needed a creamier sauce. Overall a very good restaurant, but it did not blow us out of the water.Special Features:
- Good Food/Bad ServiceSpcincaDined on 8/17/2014We made reservation for Sunday Brunch (8/17) party of 5. The restaraunt was not too busy which was nice. Our waiter, Paul, was less than helpful and slugged around like he had been forced into slavery. Guests who ordered coffee and ice tea sat there waiting for refills that only came after flagging down other staff. Another guest didnt receive the ice tea he ordered until, again, we asked another waiter. The food came out in good fashion with the exception of a salmon salad. Paul was quick to blame the kitchen for not seeing the order (hmmm). Paul seemed more interested in standing back at the kitchen chit chatting than he did in doing his job. The food here is very good and I would recommend. Just dont expect much from Paul the server.Special Features:
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We were pleased with seating, Martinez, pupus, service, cuisine, and even e spectacular birthday song on a delicious dessert!Special Features:
- Our FavoriteRealtorCamille7VIPDined on 8/13/2014We recommend this great restaurant all the time! Every item on the menu is delicious and beautifully prepared! Everything is fresh! The prices are reasonable. The service is terrific! We ordered the seared Ahi tostadas, and the fish tacos. Everything was delicious! I am a good cook but I can't hold a candle to 230 Forest!Special Features:
- In Spot in LagunaDCdinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014This is very popular restaurant in downtown Laguna. Their seafood is excellent and the service is prompt and friendly. Sometimes the crowd at the place is a little bothersome, but I realize that others like it as much as I.Special Features:
- ExcellentRedwineDined on 8/12/2014We have been coming here for years and this restaurant has remained consistently good in a town that has so many restaurants that go up and down. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive, the food was excellent, and the outdoor seating was perfect. A great place to enjoy a very good meal and people watch.Special Features:
- Satisfied diner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I was a bit relieved that it wasn't congested as some reviews Mentioned. We had a nice Table just inside. I requested an outdoor seat on my reservation they unfortunately didn't have the table available. We however were satisfied with our table. The food very good and tentative service. We attended the pageant of masters after dinner and we were able to walk it. There is metered Parking but elected to use a valet so that we could keep our car there until after the show. I Recommend this restaurant in the Laguna beach area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and crowded!TANTVIPDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I dined at 230 Forest before Pageant of the Masters. It was extremely noisy with the tables very close together. My salmon was good but not great, and the carbonara pasta did not have much flavor. We had dined at their sister restaurant the night before, and it was a much better experience.Special Features:
- bzrmDined on 8/8/2014We always enjoy great food and fun at this consistently good restaurant..Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itDedicated2mDined on 8/8/2014Not that fine dining is Laguna isn't pricey, but this place is right up there. However, concordant with the prices is excellent tasting food, prompt service, and tasty cocktails. You won't be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Gem FinderDinemasterDined on 7/31/2014A great spot where locals and tourists enjoy the Energy on Forest Avenue in Laguna Beach. The fish is fresh and cooked to perfection. Try the halibut or the mahi mahi. Enjoy creative and refreshing cocktails. Although the restaurant is always fully booked during the season you can expect attentive and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best we have had in Laguna..SatisfiedDined on 7/31/2014If you don't mind getting to know you fellow diners up close and personal you can't beat 230 Forest. The food and drinks were outstanding, the service was excellent, enough to bring us back again. Do make reservations we were there at 5:30 and they were telling people that 9:00 was the next available reservations so plan ahead through Open Table.Special Features:
- Not their finest hourVincentDined on 7/30/2014Dined there for the 5th time last nite 7/30/14. The first 4 visits were impeccable, excellent service by fun servers and the meal was excellent. We enjoy the ambiance, the meal, and the attentiveness of the wait staff. Last nite was a different story, restaurant somewhat busy but not what I consider slammed. Food was tasty but not 'as amazing' as I remember from prior visits. My wife concurred. Problem was wait time after the opening salad, 40 minutes between courses. Rather lengthy, agree? Heading to Pagent after and was unable to order dessert, too bad for you guys because I always do here. The server was melancholy and all business, which is fine if you are in a court of law. Smile and be fun! I'll return for another chance.Special Features:
- Busy and FuntryingnewplacestodineDined on 7/29/2014The shrimp appetizer was excellent and plenty to share. We just stopped in for wine and appetizers before heading out to the Pageant of the Masters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 859 reviews are from the 230 Forest Avenue reviews archive.
- Great Find in Laguna Beach!LindaLVIPDined on 7/25/2014I dined there with a friend after an afternoon at the Sawdust Festival and Art-a-Fair, prior to going to the Pageant of the Masters. I cannot say enough awesome things about the restaurant! Our reservation was for 6:00 pm, and we never felt rushed, service was stellar, and of course the food - so many wonderful flavors! We opted to order a few small plates/appetizers - and we weren't sorry! I cannot wait to go back in a few weeks!Special Features:
- Lunch.. and morechefgearyDined on 7/25/2014Great place for lunch and perfect setting.. Food never disappoints!Special Features:
- Always can count on a great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great service, creative menu, appropriate portions, quality ingredients, good wine menu ... did I mention great service? Really enjoyed this recent dining experience.Special Features:
- AcceptableMangiareVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was acceptable for a touristy beach town, but not exceptional. I had a swordfish special and it was way too fussy. The preparation had two large sprigs of rosemary which was too powerful for the delicate fish. My dining mate had a seafood salad that was a much better choice. In general, the salads looked the best.