22 Square Restaurant & Bar
14 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
22 Square Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (912) 629-9493
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
11:00am to 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lauren Teague
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our Grand Parlor to larger groups hosting weddings, social gatherings and major events.
- Private Party Contact: Ann Mashburn 9122332116
A word from 22 Square Restaurant & Bar
22 Square offers the best of fresh produce, meat and seafood from local farms and producers. Our cuisine is elegant yet down to earth food, with a hint of modern sophistication.Continued
Our hand crafted cocktails are the perfect accompaniment to any meal and our bar and lounge area offers a wonderful place to start or finish your dining experience.
Our hand crafted cocktails are the perfect accompaniment to any meal and our bar and lounge area offers a wonderful place to start or finish your dining experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
22 Square Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
22 Square Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (17)romantic (17)scenic view (16)hot spot (11)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food...dreadful service!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/13/2014Arrived 5 minutes earlier than reservation time. Told to sit at bar and that we would be seated shortly. After 20 minutes (of being ignored), we approached the podium again. Couldn't get anyone's attention. Eventually someone came and seated us. The back room of the restaurant was not busy at all. The waiter was rushing us. He took our order and left and returned 15 minutes later with bread. In the meantime, a variety of waitstaff and hostesses came in and out of the room, each time they rearranged empty table settings and poured water from one pitcher to another, but no one checked on us or came to our table. Our entrees arrived, and they were good. Food was fresh. My partner's entree was lukewarm, but mine was hot. After about an 45 minutes (and at this point we were one of only two tables in the restaurant), the waiter returned. We paid and left. Overall, the staff was unfriendly, rude and unwelcoming. We left thinking they didn't want us there at all. Not the impression you want to receive from a restaurant that you spent $75 at for two entrees.
- Dinner in SavannahTritoeatDined on 11/8/2014Had a nice dinner here while visiting Savannah. Located inside the Andaz Hyatt. Food was great. Service was great. It was a bit noisy but nit a major retraction from our dinner. Food was superb. Had the cheese plate and two of the smaller plates as meals. Everything was very fresh. I would definitely recommend it. Portions are large even for the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay but dining room characterlessOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014Appetizer (devilled eggs) was delicious but entrée (squash-filled ravioli) was bland and watery. Dining room is cold and uninviting; feels like an office- complex cafeteria.Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 11/7/2014Very noisy and more of a "chick" place. I was in town for the marathon and my running buddy and I loved it but my husband wasn't as crazy about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointed in servicefoodcriticDined on 11/6/2014A wonderful experience there for Natasha Gaskill's b-day last year & was excited to bring my clients there for diner. Unfortunately: I had to book my reservation on line (no one would speak to me on the telephone) 2nd my reservation would not go through due time constraints: 2 more attempts and booked for 1 hr later; non-human system = no value! Secured our table & waited in the bar (notified hostess )for our partners to arrive (late, due to no pkg- we were not informed that there would be no pkg signs posted specifically for that date). Our partners arrived and ordered a drink at the bar (bartender full of him self, drink options not good) and then the hostess informed us that our table was no longer available! We waited another 45 mins!Special Features:
- Delicious local foodLunaSeaDined on 11/6/2014I always appreciate a restaurant that puts in the effort to support local businesses by serving local food. Three of us had 3 different entrees and every item on every plate was delicious. Prices were reasonable and portions were just right. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - farm to tableMatzMelangeDined on 11/1/2014this is a nice restaurant providing excellent food from a (nice) small menue with a farm to table concept - way to go!Special Features:
- Farm to fork at its best!PreArtsDinnerVIPDined on 10/31/2014If you enjoy the farm to table dining experience, you have to try this place. We have been to many and 22 Square is leading edge farm to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm -to-fork restaurant!villefoodieVIPDined on 10/29/2014We tried 22 Square because the menu looked different from many of the other choices in Savannah & we were very pleased with our meals. We started with the deviled egg appetizer, followed by the free-range chicken breast with risotto & spinach and a lovely grass-fed burger with yummy warm, home-made potato chips. Our server was great and we highly recommend this this restaurant.Special Features:
- Don't miss it.west3646Dined on 10/24/2014To be honest, when we arrived we were slightly skeptical because this restaurant and bar are inside a hotel lobby. I am so glad that we did not overthink it and decided to stay because it was the dining highlight of our trip to Savannah. Everything these guys do feels authentic and comfortable, but absolutely top shelf. From the cocktails, the appetizers and entrees to even the magnificent bread plate, it was an experience we will remember.Special Features:
- Savannah Favourite.LocavoreDinerDined on 10/18/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant on vacation in Savannah. The food is delicious and locally sourced. The seafood is sustainable and a lot of care goes into food selection, prep and presentation. The decor is stylish but not intimidating. Lots of natural light and beautiful artwork. We loved the artisanal bread so much we had to be careful to leave room for the main event. We are three friends who shared starters and ordered three different mains. No room for dessert but really enjoyed everything we ordered and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best filet everSmoozDined on 10/17/2014We look for farm to table restaurants and this one had a grass-fed tenderloin at a very reasonable price, cooked perfectly, and melt in your mouth delicious! Our waitress was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner.friendDined on 10/12/2014Took a friend visiting from out of town. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Lovely restaurant, and quiet enough to be able to hold a conversation. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a decent choice.btianDined on 10/11/2014The people who server this place made the experience. The Food was good, Wine list was notably poor for a restaurant of this quality. Mostly cheap wines, but chosen wisely to pair with local cuisine. The wines we selected, were out of stock as well.Special Features:
- Great!luv2eatDined on 10/4/2014I know they are all about Farm to table and very proud of that. I love that, we try to eat that way as much as we can, certainly at home.. and that was a big selling point to why we tried 22 square. And I know based off of what you can compare in Savannah to, this is great. BUT that being said I've had better, nothing really impressed me. It wasn't bad, just wasn't "you've got to try this place!!" either.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodDolfan4LifeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was absolutely delicious. All of the food is locally home grown. Excellent menu and special items. You don't walk away feeling stuffed but you do walk away feeling like you ate an excellent meal. Definitely try the beef tenderloin. It will melt in your mouth like butter. Perfectly seasoned. The green beans were perfectly cooked. Crunchy. My husband had the swordfish and is was cooked to perfection. He loved it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealpeachrootsDined on 10/1/2014Local foods are featured in a nice setting. Service was very good, food was fresh, and delicious with a lovely presentation. My daughter liked her specialty cocktail, however my Cosmo was dreadful even after a second try. I sent it back and switched to wine. We had gone on a Wednesday evening, so it wasn't crowed. A wonderful bread with apples, goat cheese and bacon was brought out in the bread basket as a specialty for the evening. It was amazingly good! I would return; I just wouldn't order a cocktail.
- CaraDined on 9/27/2014Loved the local produce and flair. Fantastic dinner! Will return soon!Special Features:
- Amazing!BBitzDined on 9/20/2014Our experience at 22 Square was perfect from beginning to end. Excellent service and amazing food! It is a farm to fork restaurant so everything is FRESH and from local farms. I highly recommend the beef tips appetizer - the tender meat is accompanied with goat cheese, tomato salad, and pesto. For entrees, we enjoyed Chicken Risotto dish with garlic spinach and the carbonara. We finished off the meal with homemade peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. Highly recommend for any occasion! Absolutely delightful :)Special Features:
- 22 Squarebc19Dined on 9/13/2014Very good food - we loved that it was all locally sourced. A very lovely room overlooking the lively City Market scene.Special Features:
- In a hotel, but you'd never know.TyBlocalDined on 9/13/2014Locally sourced ingredients. Well prepared. Interesting menu with even more interesting specials. Specialty drinks well prepared. Servers were knowledgeable and attentive. On one of Savannah's 22 squares. Lots of activity going by the window. Young, yet these four boomers had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Quaint Little GemTulstunDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is small, only about 16 tables; but it seems to have relatively low attendance. We were able to make a reservation for 7:15 on a friday at 5pm the same day. It will be one of my go-to restaurants when we're looking for a last minute reservation. The food was excellent too!Special Features:
- Poor Service Overshadowed FoodBesides41Dined on 9/12/2014The food was amazing, but our server seemed less than interested in taking care of us. Of all the restaurants we visited in Savannah, this was by far the least accommodating of children and we felt as if our child wasn't welcome. We would go back, but only without children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah treasuremollygeorgeDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant is a wonderful find in Savannah. It has a great location across from Ellis Square in a lovely hotel. The food is locally grown, and a little different from the usual Savannah fare The drinks are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missed the markJandBDined on 9/4/2014Great concept - farm to table. Excellent home baked bread and attractive presentation of entrée spoiled by heavy-handed use of salt which masked all other tastes. Should have sent it back. Commented to server who apologized and gave us a complimentary desert to share. Salt and a lack of ambiance overshadowed an excellent server. Not enough going for it to give it a second try.
- understatedBlumaxVIPDined on 9/3/2014Small restaurant located in hotel. We had a dinner reservation for 7:30. We were the third couple there and by the finish of our dinner we were the only ones there. They offer an eclectic array of organic dishes but nothing spectacular. A bit of a disappointment. There are better choices in Savannah
- Consistently great!llann55Dined on 8/24/2014I've eaten here a few times now and every time the food is always wonderful. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, yes. Service, no.Fox0218VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious, other than the fact that the beef tips were not cooked well and the server only asked if we would like him to finish cooking the last bite after we ate two raw pieces to our surprise. The entrees were delicious, as were the cocktails. Server was void of all personality and I said more while ordering my meal than he did the entire night. The server let our drinks run dry while we waited an hour for our food. I must say that the best part of our experience was Emma, the hostess, who was filled with such passion and enthusiasm. Although Emma was the opener for our experience, she has remained the most memorable part of the experience. The food, when cooked properly, was worth our time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence.EricVIPDined on 8/16/2014I live in Atlanta, where I dine at a variety of restaurants weekly. 22 Square is my new favorite and by far the best restaurant I've experienced in quite some time.Special Features:
- Top of the line...FrenchyDined on 8/11/2014The bar is very appealing, the bar tender a pro, the food outstanding. The service in the restaurant is friendly and personal. The only thing that lack personality and atmosphere is the restaurant room itself. I would recommend this place to anyone who has high expectations when it comes to food and great cocktails but yet, doesn't want to feel like being in a stuffy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with colleaguesBarbeeALDined on 8/9/2014We had to wait a bit, as we brought 1 more than the reservation. The staff were very accommodating. Loved the bar area, loved the decor very representative of "Savannah historical living" with the lights, dishes and the serving peices . Brings the gentile spirit of southern charm to your dining. The food was very good, with a party of 11 we had almost every thing on the menu. The bread served with fresh butter was wonderful and I loved the cheese plate. My best meal in SavannahSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvement.OlyaAlexanderDined on 8/8/2014Shrimp seviche was probably the major disappointment with big chunks of cucumber. Not really creative and not something special. The pork belly appetizer was awesome but super small. The Duck and Salmon entrees both were super delicious. Actually the taste of salmon surprised the whole table. We came from New York and it is hard to surprise us. Everybody around us were eating burgers, really? I didn't make any judgement because I was prepared for a good local food and we almost got it. They bake fresh bread, different types, including the one with garlic and Parmesan cheese, which is always a plus. Overall the experience was decent. Restaurant team has room for improvement for sure but if they try harder they will nail it in Savannah.Special Features:
- Yummie Farm to TableDix511Dined on 8/8/2014We get to Savannah every year or two, and we love to dine. 22 Square was simply delicious, and especially the appetizers were generous. The main courses were cooked almost to perfection. The entire meal was terrific, and the crowd very eclectic.Special Features:
- birthday partysavannahgirl912Dined on 8/7/2014I had my birthday party here recently. This is one of my favorite restaurants from a food perspective. It is so fresh and unique. We sat at the farm high top table in the center of the restaurant (my fav table). Waitress is the same one I always have and is very attentive. They have changed the menu from the original (which i liked a little better- put the deviled eggs back on the crudite!) but the new dishes were great. Nice atmosphere for a group.Special Features:
- $30.00 never tasted so goodEatdrinkandbhappyDined on 8/3/2014Food was excellent. We enjoyed their 3 for $30.00 menu with each of us ordering something different from a wide range of choices. Upon looking at their regular menu, I felt like the special menu created for Restaurant Week might be a better fit for most people. Full of choices and yummy delivery on those items we selected.Special Features:
- Great AppetizersEatMe58Dined on 8/3/20145 of us went for Restaurant Week on a Sunday. Had a great cocktail in the bar first. The bartender is very knowledgable and creative. The food was great, especially the appetizers. My bisque was amazing, and my wife's eggplant was wonderful. For dinner I had the duck, which had too much fat for me, and my zucchini hash was overcooked. My wife also had the duck, and hers was better. But everyone else's was really good. The low country boil had the best swordfish I've ever tasted. Two others had the pasta with house-made sausage and meatballs, which they said was good, too. The hostess and the server were very attentive and helpful. The prices for the wine seemed to be quite high, but the selections were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Week Experience!TheMost52Dined on 8/3/2014My wife and I visited 22 Square for our anniversary which happened to coincide with the last day of Restaurant Week. The service that we got from start to finish was excellent, our server was very attentive and able to answer any questions we had. We each picked different options for all 3 courses and were not disappointed by any of them. The portions were very generous compared to other offerings we have had during restaurant week and we loved the fact that everyone was ordering off the same menu. Other places we have been you almost felt guilty ordering Restaurant Week meals. The farm to fork aspect just made it that much better. It was nice to know that almost everything we ate there was local. I would recommend 22 Square to anyone!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceMaddyGDined on 8/2/2014Every dish on the menu looked great which made it hard to choose. Everyone in our party loved their dinners which were creatively prepared and presented. And the chocolate mousse was to die for! Erin really made the evening special with her suggestions and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jth1Dined on 8/2/2014Food and service was excellent. Ate here during Restaurant Week. Many other restaurants we have eaten at during previous restaurant weeks downplay that menu and make you ask for it; almost hide it. Here they offered only the restaurant week menu, which had a good variety and with reasonable portions - not a "lunch-size" portion of their regular dinner menu. Appetizers, bread, main dishes and desserts were all excellent. Wine was a bit costly - $10 was the least expensive glass. Only reason that I downgraded overall rating from 5 to 4 stars is because of the high noise level. They should consider adding some sound absorbent panels to the ceiling. Good view for people-watching on the City Market square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to 22 sq for our anniversary. The food was absolutely delicious. The presentation was wonderful and we would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.