22 N Lumina Ave
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.22north.net/
- Phone: (910) 509-0177
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brent Poteat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 22 North
Located on historic Wrightsville Beach, 22 North has earned a reputation by visitors and locals alike as "the best kept secret on the beach." Embodying the best of traditional Lower Cape Fear cuisine with classic French and rustic Creole fare, we take pride in providing our guests with the most unique and eclectic Southern comfort food in the Wilmington area. Taking full advantage of the naturally abundant resources Cape Fear is blessed with, our menu changes virtually every day. You're sure to find local favorites along with bold, exciting, and fresh new creations! House specialties like our award-winning silky She-Crab soup, grilled Skirt Steak or our famous Shrimp n'Grits are featured along with more innovative fare such as Sweet Potato Crusted Grouper, Buttermilk fried Alligator and country ham Blue Crab Cakes. And of course our wonderful homemade desserts such as Key Lime Pie and Caramel Bread Pudding are pure delight. We invite you to come on in and make yourself at home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
22 North - Best Restaurants in Wrightsville Beach ›
22 North reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2013Definitely very casual atmosphere. Air conditioning wasn't working well. The menu was rather limited, but my seared scallops on a bed of corn relish was very good. My wife's swordfish was also very good. We will eat there again if we are in the area, but we would not make a special trip.Special Features:
- Tasty!LovesFoodDined on 9/1/2013And chef came out to talk to me about my food allergies and made something just for me I could eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this guy can cookout4eatsDined on 9/1/201322 North's ambiance is old-timey down-home Wrightsville Beach casual, but wow this guy can cook. It's a place I come back to regularly, especially when we locals get the beach back from summer visitors. Though there is no set menu (day's dishes are chalked on a blackboard), I can always be sure that what's on there is what is among the best local seasonal land and sea ingredients. Southern tradition reigns but is treated to a good dose of creativity. If I've worked up an appetite walking the beach, there are hearty main dishes, often favoring fish, and there's always something interesting in the bread basket. Or if I am in the mood to eat lightly I happily graze on a couple of innovative appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013Not stellar, but really good. Seafood dishes very fresh and well-cooked. Very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJsangelgirl33Dined on 8/30/2013The food is amazing. I would go everyday if I could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe the websiteOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2013I seriously thought I had walked into the wrong place b/c the website sample menu and photo gallery bear NO resemblance the dive we unhappily visited Saturday night. The place was dead. We were seated in a dank, mildewy booth surrounded by TV's blaring with "sportscenter". The menu had nothing that wasn't blackened, fried or previously frozen. We stayed for dinner but my wife was miffed with me the entire night b/c I picked 22 North over Catch. The manager came out to talk b/c it was clear we were unhappy with the ambiance, food and service, but she offered to recompense. Pretty sad altogether.
- AMAZING--You won't be disappointedFoodisgoodDined on 8/23/2013My husband and I tried 22 North not knowing much about it. So glad we did!! The menu changes daily based on what they freshly receive locally...and it is def fresh! The portions are large, the meal was delicious and our server had a great personality (as well as being very knowledgable about each dish on the menu). Do not leave without trying the peanut butter pie. It is the best I have ever tasted--by far. In fact, we returned to 22 North the following evening just for another taste! If you pass up this restaurant you are truly missing out! This is on our "must visit" list whenever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was a pleasantmoovieloverVIPDined on 8/20/2013This restaurant was a pleasant surprise find for us. We had never visited Wrightsville Beach before and found the restaurant thru OpenTable. The entrees were very good - we loved the salads too. Service was excellent. We would certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibeAndyGDined on 8/18/2013Ate here with family who was visiting. Everyone was very impressed with their food. The menu always changes depending on what kind of fish or game they are able to get in for the day. I particularly enjoy this because they get all their stuff from local fisherman.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseBecksDined on 8/12/2013Great food and wonderful presentation. Love the blackboard menu. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good we went backWillDined on 8/6/2013We had a great meal so came back the next time. Every dish was really good--the shrimp & grits are fantastic; the BBQ pork cheeks & grits appetizer is equally great. They focus on fresh catch, so their chalkboard menu changes daily.Special Features:
- Disappointed dinnerSwtaylorDined on 8/5/2013Thought the blackboard menu was interesting and sounded good. We are foodies and were quite disappointed from the beginning of the dinning experience. First impressions really do matter. Restaurant was drab musty kind of dark and empty. Tried the gator bites and couldn't eat them, they were greasy and chewy. Next we got the chicken salad bruschetta, that app was slightly better than the gator bites but were flavorless. For entrees we got shrimp and grits and the sear scallops. Shrimp and grits were pretty good really no complaints (as a personal preference I would have left out the tomatoes). The seared scallops were not seared at all they looked as if they were swirled around an old greasy pan which left black specks all over them.
- Amazing foodDeuceDined on 8/3/2013Me and my significant other went to celebrate our anniversary and the food was amazing!!! The restaurant was a bit messy from a previous large party that had dined in but the staff never swept the floor until asked several times by the customers. Also one of the outdoor picture associated with the restaurant was false (picture of the outdoor setup on the beach); very disappointed bc I was looking forward to dinning on the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOnvacationDined on 8/1/201322 North has a chalkboard menu so that they can change what they serve based on local foods that they get. The appetizer of Pork cheek was amazing (a first time experience). Our two dinners of Shrimp and Grits and Blackened Cobia were also fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant to others. We would have gone back but it was closed the next night for a private party.Special Features:
- wish they were in NJ!PeteDined on 7/25/2013My first experience with the place was in 2012 when on vacation for a week and I loved it. The menu changes every day and if you're not fast enough, it can change while you're making your selections that evening! I was back in Wrightsville beach for another vacation at the end of July 2013 and had to eat there twice because Chef Brent is just frickin' amazing with food. I would love to get down there again sometime - great quality food, awesome down to earth Chef, and reasonably priced food provide a heckuva value for me. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - highly recommendwildcat09Dined on 7/23/2013Dined here a few years ago with my boyfriend and greatly enjoyed it. Went back with my family this year and it was wonderful (best meal of our trip). The menu changes each day (can check the chalkboard outside around 5 pm). I had the scallops (perfectly done) and the green tomato pie for dessert (I'd never heard of this before but it was great). I highly recommend 22 North to anyone looking for really good seafood or a slightly fancier meal on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't look like much fromOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/23/2013Doesn't look like much from the outside or the inside, but inside is a very nice experience. The good was great (not the fried-everything or bar food around there) and the service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Seared scallopsBonnieD123Dined on 7/21/2013It was a lovely dining experience. The salad was a beautiful presentation and the seared scallops with succotash were delectable. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would go back for foodCTfoodieDined on 7/20/2013everything was tasty. delicious fishes. tuna, snapper, and trout. great duck and butternut squash soup. it turns into a bar after hours, thought would be more intimate but food made up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful and differentRoesnakeDined on 7/19/2013My family enjoyed our first meal here and were very pleased...the food was delicious, and the entire experience was quite memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DInner!CameronVIPDined on 7/11/2013My husband and I went to 22 North one of the evenings we were in Wrightsville for our 5 year anniversary. The food was DELICIOUS and the service was great! I had read that the place inside was "nothing special" and it may not have been THE nicest, most perfectly decorated place, but we found it to be nice and enjoyable! The menu is on a chalkboard as it changes daily, depending on what is fresh. I had the shrimp and grits, which were probably the BEST I have ever had! I definitely recommend 22 North to anyone in the Wrightsville area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience didn't match reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013Very disappointed with the experience at 22 North, especially reading the great reviews it received. Maybe ours was an off night, but certainly don't feel the need to try again when we are in the area Service: Took 10-15 mins before our waitress came over & I had to tell the hostess we hadn't been greeted yet Apps: We tried the alligator bites & green fried tomatoes. The bites were chewier than previous alligator & the tomatoes were sliced so thin, it was really just breading Entrees: Long wait between apps & main course. We had the shrimp/grits & pork chop but the chop was so tough, you could barely cut (med temp rqstd). When the waitress came by, 10 mins had passed. While the mgr came after that, it was too late for a new one.
- Food with some zip!PeptoeDined on 7/1/2013If you like Creole cooking, seafood with a bit of zip, then this is the place for you! Daily specials are listed on a blackboard and brought to your table. The meals are fresh and made to order, nothing canned or boxed here! I found the lighting to be a bit harsh, bright points of light from many directions and a rather annoying Blue Juke Box glaring from the other end of the room. If you focus on the food your meal will be fine.Special Features:
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2013a bit hidden (no large sign above or on side of building, just a painted sign on the front window), but very convenient location. upon 1st walk in, layout seems a bit odd, with the bar in the back & the front door opening up to the main dining room. However, having been there several times, the food & service has always been great. Good portions for the price, but make sure to save room for dessert :-).Special Features:
- The food was good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2013The food was good but service was slow. I think they need a faster kitchen or more wait staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like that the menu changesKayakILMVIPDined on 6/27/2013Like that the menu changes every day. Means it is like a different restaurant each time you come.Special Features:
- There is no set menu. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/23/2013There is no set menu. All items are based on the season & the menu is on a chalk board that is brought to your table. We had a great dinner & asked to thank the Chef. Chef Brent can out to speak with us. It was a great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and freshOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2013The restaurant offers a variety of dishes using fresh and local ingredients. The atmosphere was energetic for a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MixtureMurcDined on 6/21/2013Because this restaurant is at Wrightsville Beach, it is better to get there early so that you can find a close parking place. It is not fancy, by any means, but we had a table for 9 for a birthday and had a great time. The service was really good and the food came out in a reasonable amount of time. They specialize in all kinds of seafood, but the steaks and chops were delicious as well. We had crawfish mac and cheese, shrimp skewers and several other dishes for appetizers-all were good and hot when they came to the table. The staff accommodated us by hiding the cake and bringing it out with the candles lit when we gave them the sign. After dinner, we adjourned to the bar and had a blast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the pleaseure of diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2013I had the pleaseure of dining heretwo nights out of thye four days I was there and it created a problem! Every place else I ate, all I did was compare how much better my meal was at 22 North! If you are looking for bar food, don't go here! It looks like your typical family run beach resturant but when you taste the food there is nothing typical about the place! The chef is truly talented and it showed. Fried Alligator and Oysters melted in your mouth, Crawfish Mac and Cheese- Wow!, Shrimp and Grits were as good as I have ever had. If you enjoy great food and not standard piled high fried platter fare then don't miss this place!Special Features:
- Great place at the beachTje4814Dined on 6/13/2013First time there other than late night. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2013We went to 22 North on June 5 for the first time. It was quiet and the food was outstanding. The service was great and it was an enjoyable experience. We will go back.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!jan2wbVIPDined on 5/31/2013Everything was wonderful from the bread basket to dessert. Squash blossom appetizer was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnereatnsgoodDined on 5/30/2013Was our first time at the restaurant. Found out about it through "Fire on the Dock" competition. Had friends come join us from out of town. All 4 of us ordered seafood and it was fresh and cooked to perfection. We were also pleased with the resonable prices for really good food. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service, Poor Ambience,HunterDined on 5/26/2013Our experience was poor.. We will not be back. Bridge Tender and Pilot House were other restaurants we went to in Wilmington and they were much better,
- 22 North Experience 5-25-13TontoDined on 5/25/2013Food was very good! Service was moderate. We had to ask for refils and more cocktails during our wait for entrees. There were a few big parties there (8+ people) at the time and maybe that was the reason for the slow service. Waiter did not prebus any glasses or appetizer dishes as well before our entrees. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrightsville Beach's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013Has never disappointed, great food, great staff. Definitely has become a favorite when visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meal was incredible!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2013The meal was incredible!!! We had grilled swordfish, bacon wrapped wahoo and seared scallops for the table The fish was perfectly prepared as were the scallops. We had a Greek soup first that was unbelievable. Such attention to detail by the chef. Seasonings were spot on..... Would love to go there weekly!!!!!Special Features:
- Terrific for Mother's DayKevinDined on 5/12/2013We took Mom there for Mother's Day dinner. Turned out we didn't even need reservations since it was the Sunday night after UNCW's grad week--which was a nonstop party on Lumina Ave. At least until Sunday night. It was almost empty after having lines out the door all week. Pretty funny. Great food. Impeccable service. My daughter's a piscavore and asked they remove the ham from their crayfish mac'n'cheese, which they did without raising an eyebrow. The cuisine is distinctly Southern (I had the shrimp'n'grits), but manages to avoid the high calories/spackle-for-the-arteries features that characterize a lot of traditional Southern cooking. Wine list is a bit spotty, but the cocktail menu, especially the specialty martinis, is sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at 22 NorthcatsueDined on 5/10/2013Modest looking restaurant from the outside and inside, but don't let that fool you. The food is excellent, gourmet! The menu changes daily so it is presented on a chalk board. Everything is very fresh and the menu features many local seafood favorites. Dessert is a must.Special Features: