22 N Lumina Ave
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.22north.net/
- Phone: (910) 509-0177
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brent Poteat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 22 North
Located on historic Wrightsville Beach, 22 North has earned a reputation by visitors and locals alike as "the best kept secret on the beach." Embodying the best of traditional Lower Cape Fear cuisine with classic French and rustic Creole fare, we take pride in providing our guests with the most unique and eclectic Southern comfort food in the Wilmington area. Taking full advantage of the naturally abundant resources Cape Fear is blessed with, our menu changes virtually every day. You're sure to find local favorites along with bold, exciting, and fresh new creations! House specialties like our award-winning silky She-Crab soup, grilled Skirt Steak or our famous Shrimp n'Grits are featured along with more innovative fare such as Sweet Potato Crusted Grouper, Buttermilk fried Alligator and country ham Blue Crab Cakes. And of course our wonderful homemade desserts such as Key Lime Pie and Caramel Bread Pudding are pure delight. We invite you to come on in and make yourself at home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
22 North - Best Restaurants in Wrightsville Beach ›
22 North reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- JonRosDined on 6/11/2014We took a risk and made reservations at what for us was an unknown dining destination. We chose it because we noticed they had She-crab soup listed on the brochure in the where to eat book at our hotel. When we arrived we discovered they were not making it that night and that the menu changed daily based on what fresh fish e.g. were available that day. We ordered and the food was great. The scollops for example were cooked perfectly. This reminds me of I believe Michael's Genuine down in Miami who changes the menu based on available quality ingredients from grouper to wreckfish. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, weird atmosphereRedeemedVIPDined on 6/8/2014Weird atmosphere. can't decide whether it's a dive bar on one side a nice restaurant the other.The food was outstanding. The swordfish was delicious . The one miss on the food was a strawberry goat cheese salad which was barely above the level of bag salad.The other downside was and when we asked for the bread that was being brought to other tables the server finally brought a basket with one tiny biscuit, one tiny piece of cornbread and one tiny piece of some type of sweet nutbread. Each was delicious but for a table of three we had three tiny pieces of bread barely able to be split into thirds so each of us could have a tiny crumb.Service was okay, but not what I would expect from a restaurant of that price level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming, great findLeavethekiddosathomeDined on 6/6/2014We stumbled upon this spot after we were told to avoid the typical tourist spots. The restaurant is split where the front is a candle-lit dining area and the back is a bar. My guess is that later in the evening this place is packed. The food was great, service was very good - the menu is brought to you on a portable easel - which is a cool touch! Shrimp and grits was wonderful, and my husband loved the jumbalaya. We would definitely return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food local feelAsaMcDined on 6/4/2014This local restaurant offers a fresh daily menu on a chalkboard. The starters we tried included frog legs, gator bites and crab cakes. The scallop entree was fresh and lightly seasoned with just great flavor. The only negative is they didn't have any bottle water and the local water is tough for out of towners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all around.Blackpearl59Dined on 5/30/2014Good food and service. Solid menu with a superb dessert tray. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ejm9658Dined on 5/24/2014A blackboard menu that changes daily??? Count me in!!! I tried the crab dip, shrimp and grits and the key lime pie. All were delicious. My boyfriend had the skirt steak and he said it was fantastic. I love how the menu changes daily and the chef is very talented. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Wrightsville. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No nonsensefoodlvrDined on 5/17/2014The food is the only thing keeping this place alive in my opinion. It's a run down building with loud ac units that run constantly and the decor and ambiance leaves a lot to be desired. Service was ho hum. Food was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt-in-the-mouth Scallops!JudeDined on 5/11/2014Impromptu trip to Wrightsville Beach had me here for dinner on Mother's Day evening. Many entrées, written on a chalkboard, made it difficult to choose but deciding on the scallops turned out to be spot on! I ordered the Strawberry salad with goat cheese; which was very good, and the crab cakes - which were good, but made better with the cucumber sauce. As the title states, the scallops burst/melt in the mouth and were simply oral-gasmic! However, not to be upstaged, the house-made succotash that was served with the scallops was off the hook and I would have ordered a side of just that. An okay selection of beer and wine.Special Features:
- Yum!RealFoodLoverDined on 5/11/2014The food and service was excellent!! Everything on the menu sounded great! Hard to choose. Only complaint was the carpet smells of mildew.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Never knew this place existed - what a find! Everyone loved their dinners and the fried alligator was amazing! We will definitely make this our "go-to" spot in Wrightsville!Special Features:
- Excellent!finefoodDined on 5/9/2014The food and service at 22 North are outstanding! They were very accommodating to special requests we had for menu changes due to dietary concerns. We would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodETNC1Dined on 5/4/2014The food at 22 North is outstanding! Unique offerings, outrageous seasonings and fresh ingredients! I had the Berry Blossom cocktail noted as the drink of 2014 Azalea Festival! The drink was smooth, fantastic! We will definitely return for more great cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughMarineCaliDined on 4/27/2014I'd never been inside the restaurant because from the outside it looks a little run down, but when you open the front door it has a nice dining area and a separate bar area! Had tried finding a menu but I was then presently surprised when I found out the menu changes daily and that they list their meals on portable blackboards. They had delicious food (most <$20) with good portions and also an extensive wine and cocktail list. The only negative experience we had was when my mom was told that they had run out of red wine by the glass. There were other bottles of red so offering to open a less expensive bottle should have been no problem. All in all it was a great time and I'll be going back again with friends.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious.servetochangeDined on 4/26/2014I brought my two teens here for dinner. The appetizers looked so good that we decided to sample them, knowing we would be satiated. We certainly were - the meats were tender, perfectly seasoned, just delectable. I wonder if we received a little less attentive service for ordering the small plates, but we were taken care of. Dessert was wonderful, too! I have already recommended the restaurant to a friend that visits the area frequently and I am planning my next visit here as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKayakILMVIPDined on 4/21/2014Have been here several times with different clients. Food has never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014Food was excellent. All in our party were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FinishClassyLadyDined on 4/17/2014Our last night in WB. We went to Holy Thurs. service and for out later than expected. The restaurant was waiting for us. Myself and two teenagers had a very good meal and fabulous dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemBrendaOntheGoVIPDined on 4/14/2014Surprised to find superb food inside this average storefront. The chalk menu scared me a little at first but it works. My shrimp and grits were fabulous! The appetizers were also fantastic! Best alligator ever and the bacon wrap scallops a must! Wonderful find. Thank you Open Table.Special Features:
- Best Beach Side FindangelaseapeaceDined on 4/12/2014angela#seapeacet this place for a while now, and finally got a chance to go with my husband for a romantic dinner. The service was amazing! The ambiance was perfect which set that nice romantic feel we wanted. The food was TO DIE FOR! All the flavors the chef used went so well together and complemented each other perfectly. Dessert was fantastic and made that day. All around, the best dining experience I've EVER had and now my husbands and my new anniversary spot. Thank you all for your passion in what you do, because it mede our night perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food reasonably pricedBaibaDined on 4/12/201422 North changes its menu almost every day, so they bring the menu to you on a chalkboard and explain it. I had the Mahi Mahi, which was wonderfully spiced, perfectly cooked, and delicious (as well as being a very big piece of fish) and my husband had the scallops, which tasted fresh, perfectly cooked, and perfectly seasoned.. I also had a mixed drink, a Berry something, which was exquisite. Mixed drinks come in a twirly hard to handle glass, but the waitress pours it at the table from the shaker. 22 North (which is their address--22 North Lumina) has a good selection of specialty drinks. We actually went back the next night to see what they had, but they hadn't changed the menu from the previous day so we dined elsewhere.Special Features:
- Happy wifeHungryman101Dined on 4/4/2014I took my wife here for her birthday dinner. First time going for both of us. The food was great from start to finish. Only down side for me was the lack of parking (it is at the beach but still) also a little dark for my liking but not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backMikeDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I met some friends there for dinner. The food was excellent! This is one place we'll definitely come back to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by it's cover...ErikDined on 3/21/2014What could easily be passed by as another local watering hole should not be missed for the food! A true pearl found in a little beach town of Wrightsville beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemChrisNC77Dined on 2/14/2014Wouldnt know it from the outside, but this was a great place. Food was excellent, menu changes frequently. I would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2014Ambitious and scrumptious! What a great dinner spot for an appreciative palate. Loved the fried green tomatoes over cheese grits. Perfectly seasoned and crunchy. Juicy bacon wrapped scallops. Perfect combo of sweet and savory. Striped Bass and pork chops perfectly prepared and not over cooked as is often the case. Great homemade desserts. Peanut butter pie was light and dreamy!! What a talented chef. This place is a keeper. Look no further for a cut way above the average. Don't be put off by the bar scene that appears after dinner hours. Food is amazing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodStxboyDined on 2/1/2014Don't miss this place the outside looks like ever other beach town building but in side you have world class food !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 22 Cheers for 22 North!tleeDined on 1/21/2014Wow what a surprise! This place apparently is a regular for the early 20-somethings as a great bar to be and be seen. However, before the bar scene begins around 10 PM (so I am told) it is a nice, unpretentious and wonderful restaurant fit for any foodie. The menu is presented on a chalkboard rather than a printed menu due to daily finds. Bread that made the wait for our food seem short. Wine by the glass selection was good and reasonable as were, I was told, the beers. Value, in our estimation, was more than fair and pleasantly easier on the wallet than we expected! We will, most definitely, be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFromDTWDined on 12/31/2013On New Year's eve, our party of 10 was looking for a place to get a good meal. With the kids back at the hotel, the 10 adults wanted a proper meal but without the crazy fanfare of New Year's Eve. The food was spectacular, impressing the foodies in the group. Unfortunately, no red vermouth for those of us interested in Manhattan's. Ambience needs some work, but it didn't matter too much because we were focused on the food. Great service, knowledgable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right on the beach front road.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013They don't have a menu and this is a good thing. The dishes that are on the chalk board that day are what is available local and fresh at the moment as much as they can. I had shrimp and grits, it was a top notch rendition of the classic (for the southern coastal us) dish. The wife had a panned salmon. That was outstanding also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodAlainaVIPDined on 11/18/2013The food and staff here were fantastic. I was visiting on business and turned to Open Table for a recommendation. I made my reservation based on previous reviews. When I saw the outside I wondered if I had made a good choice, and same when I went in. But from there on it was wonderful. The waiter was great, and the food fantastic. Don't be fooled by appearances, you will enjoy your meal. The bacon wrapped scallops were fantastic, spas was the grouper entree. A real pearl of a restaraunt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fatty SteaktryingneweatsDined on 11/16/2013Salad served with New York Strip Steak that was not even appetizing to look at. It looked like 5 pieces of fat. Manager was very accommodating in offering another option. Meanwhile my dinner guests almost completed their dinner before mine was re served. The caramel martini was not what previous customers raved about. A glass of wine would have been a much better choice. The decor is very dated.
- Great FoodFoodiehusbandDined on 11/16/2013We had a birthday dinner for my wife. My youngest son and I had the Blackened Red Drum that was cooked to perfection. It was delicious. My wife had the shrimp and grits which she has tasted in various restaurants over the last 4 years here in NC. It was the best she has tasted.Special Features:
- Just okayfoodlvrDined on 11/2/2013Apps were great, meal was mediocre. It is really a bar with some tables up front. Waitress was not particularly familiar with the menu board which is a disadvantage when there is no description.
- At Last!LizzyDined on 11/1/201322 North sits quietly amid one of the most historic buildings of Wrightsville Beach. The rustic cottage exterior and be achy dining room and bar speak to simpler summer days, but the food and service are wonderful. The menu changes daily as everything served is based on freshness, including seafood, sandwiches, and steak, so that even though the selections might be a bit limited, there is something for everyone. Casual atmosphere, including a pool table in the back by the bar. Prices were reasonable. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food! We go thereBeach912Dined on 10/18/2013Always great food! We go there as often as we can and are never disappointed!Special Features:
- Good food, long waitGoodandhungryDined on 10/12/2013We made our reservation 90 minutes before arrival. The table was not available for 45 minutes after we got there. We were treated to our drinks while waiting and were able to watch football at the bar. Once seated, our waitress took our orders and when delivering the entrees,realized she forgot to put in one of our dinner orders. Five of us ate while the sixth was suggested to order something that wouldn't take long to prepare! Food was good, but in the off season, we thought service would be betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quiet dinnerVeewDined on 10/11/2013Food was delicious. Service was eager to please , but not very polished. Ambience is just ok. Go for the food and it will not disappoint you . Quiet on a Friday night in October .perfect noise level for conv ersation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had potentialfoodieVIPDined on 9/29/2013but food took forever, staff was nice but not focused, and we almost missed out flight because the food took forever even though we warned them and asked them to please have us in and out in 70 minutes.....not worth it.
- disappointing servicejan2wbVIPDined on 9/27/2013Food was good but service was very slow and our waitress wasn't very professional. Not our first visit but, I must admit, this one was a little disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet expectationsGlassHalfFullVIPDined on 9/17/2013After reading rave reviews, we had high hopes for a lovely meal in a nice setting. The atmosphere was more like a sports bar with reality tv playing on big screens everywhere. We were there on a week night after the high season, but were surprised at how empty it was. Although our meals were good, they did not meet the level of raves reviews we read. My swordfish tasted cottony (frozen?) and my martini was weak and bland. The menu (not printed, written on a chalk board brought to your table) was limited and our server had to check anote in her pocket when we asked questions, orwent to the kitchen to ask. Maybe we just hit them on an "off" night, but we will not be going back.