22 N Lumina Ave
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.22north.net/
- Phone: 9105090177
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brent Poteat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 22 North
Located on historic Wrightsville Beach, 22 North has earned a reputation by visitors and locals alike as "the best kept secret on the beach." Embodying the best of traditional Lower Cape Fear cuisine with classic French and rustic Creole fare, we take pride in providing our guests with the most unique and eclectic Southern comfort food in the Wilmington area. Taking full advantage of the naturally abundant resources Cape Fear is blessed with, our menu changes virtually every day. You're sure to find local favorites along with bold, exciting, and fresh new creations! House specialties like our award-winning silky She-Crab soup, grilled Skirt Steak or our famous Shrimp n'Grits are featured along with more innovative fare such as Sweet Potato Crusted Grouper, Buttermilk fried Alligator and country ham Blue Crab Cakes. And of course our wonderful homemade desserts such as Key Lime Pie and Caramel Bread Pudding are pure delight. We invite you to come on in and make yourself at home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
22 North - Best Restaurants in Wrightsville Beach ›
22 North reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (9)good for groups (8)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice litttle neighborhood placeGabJohnDined on 10/11/2014Nice place - a bit quiet - but we were there off season. Food was OK - not a lot to write home about.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not farm to tableMefoodieDined on 10/5/2014Our waitress lost patience when we asked for something not scribbled on there chalk board menu propped in front of our table. It was more like this what we have left. Not like what we bought today. The food was over salted best suited for a heavy smoker perhaps. There interpretation of a Caesar salad was a garden salad from Denny's with thick waxy tomatoes not from any local farm. We stuck it out even after our waitress lost her patience because it was a special occasion.
- Something different!DiningFoodieDined on 10/4/2014You will not find your usual American steak and seafood restaurant here. All selections are printed on a chalk board and change frequently to accommodate the freshest of foods. The pork chops were quite flavorable served over sweet potatoes and delicious seasoned collard greens, but could have been a little more tender. The scallops were superb. I would recommend this place to couples, but not those with children with simple tastes, as there is not much selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh MenuAsaMcDined on 9/25/201422 North has a fresh menu each day written on black board so erased as they run out. Our group selected the scallops which were a big hit, the skirt steak which was very good and the pork chop which was average. Serving some local martini selections and a nice wine list to accompany your meal this is a good local choice. The bar area is very dimly lit and at the rear of the establishment leaving the dining near the front street windows with good lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality seafood and more...BillHDined on 9/8/2014The attention to detail of each dish was great. The breads in the basket each were homemade, unique and fresh. The bacon wrapped scallions appetizer were tender and on small bed of seasoned rice by a corn salsa. All dishes were unique. The grits were the best I ever had with it's sauce and the shrimp was plentiful and tender. The grouper was seasoned great and the vegetables with rice was perfect with it. The deserts were great too. The only thing to be expect before you go is that the atmosphere of the restaurant is very simple. Don't let that stuff sway you away. The reason for the chalkboard menus is that the menu changes each day and only what was locally fresh that day is what is presented and served. The focus is on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!PeegeDined on 9/7/2014When we arrived I discovered that 22North was not the restaurant I had in mind. However, it was far greater than where I thought I was going. Wonderful salad and the best Shrimp & Grits I've ever had! It's definitely on my list for next year at the beach.Special Features:
- Believe the reviews!CinderDined on 8/22/2014Definitely worth the price. We've been to Wrightsville Beach several times, but never eaten here before. This trip we didn't have our child with us so we decided to try it. Well worth the slightly more expensive price, compared to other local restaurants. Very fresh food. & it was delicious! The brownie w/ice cream & hot fudge topped it all off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really great food but limited menudebstravelingeatinfamilyDined on 8/19/2014We were on vacation and stopped in for dinner finding their menu in our hotel. they had outstanding food and our waitress layla was wonderful. The only problem we had was we wanted certain things we saw on our menu at the hotel, but they only have limited menu items each day. we didn't realize that and had certain menu items on our mind when we arrived. just a mild disappointment. but we did love what dinners we ordered. all of the staff was great. table reservation system on line was great. we would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reason there was no waitnjdinerDined on 8/15/2014There is a reason we could walk into 22 North on a Friday night in August and have our choice of tables. The atmosphere was dank and musty and was more suited for the bar and pool table in back. The tone was set with the server delivering a room temperature beer, a glass was not an option As soon as I touched it, I could tell it wasn't even chilled, since it was a coors light I could show him the mountains weren't blue, he thought this was amusing when I pointed it out him and asked for a COLD beer. This is simple stuff. He ultimately was able to deliver a cold beer and chilled glass. It was clear how little the servers cared about their customers. The food was somewhat creative and decent but the menu was limited for children.
- Great Go-To...Rgl2Dined on 8/9/201422 North continues to be one of our go- to' s when were in town. Food and service are always excellent, always a great experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was awesome. Service a bit slow, served beer in bottles. We will go back.Special Features:
- A Wrightsville Beach gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014We've been vacationing at Wrightsville for 18 years now and for the past decade, 22 North has been our restaurant of choice for the final meal of the week. The food is always delicious and we've been pleased to see that the quality of the restaurant has stayed very high. We look forward to eating there again next summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much to look at, but great foodYellowJacket02Dined on 8/3/2014We visited 22 North for my wife's birthday dinner. When we walked in the door we wondered if we had made a mistake. The look and ambiance of the place says "beach bar", not upscale restaurant. However, our waiter immediately took good care of us and set the tone for the rest of our meal. We had a party of 6 adults and between us ordered 2 appetizers and 6 different entrees. Both appetizers were delicious and the entrees ranged from very good to excellent. I would recommend the restaurant, as long as you are willing to look past the appearance of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 22North Wrightsville Beach, NCFrankieDined on 8/2/2014We had a great dinner at 22 North. Food was excellent; wonderful presentation! I had salmon and it was very good. Shrimp and grits excellent too. Would go again! Found a great spot in Wrightsville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Southern CuisineBobbyDined on 8/2/2014One word: Delicious! Four dishes, two appetizers, two salads, a soup, and a slice of chess pie. Each was delightful. Food this good is usually found in overpriced snobby places, not here. Great food, no attitude. If you are visiting Wrightsville Beach 22 is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodSarahDined on 7/29/2014The food was great , ambience ok , could use some updates. Wait staff very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Unexpected treat on the beachpickyeaterVIPDined on 7/28/201422North is located in a small corner building that used to be a bar but do not let the location dissuade you from embarking on the food adventure they prepare. The menu changes daily and is presented to you on a large chalk board. We enjoyed a perfectly prepared shrimp cocktail with a spicy remoulade. My husband's shrimp and grits were punctuated with large chunks of andouille. My daughter enjoyed a skirt steak which was as tender as a filet and cooked to medium rare as requested. Although the wine list is not extensive, they do have some nice selections. Everyone from the hostess to the wait staff to the bus staff dropped by our table to ensure that our needs were met. This is a delightful restaurant and worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different Than the PastOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/201422 North has been a go to spot for us for the past few years, while not great ambiance, the food was always delicious. It was not the best experience for us this year. The shrimp and grits dish usually a stand-out had an odd consistency and flavor. Other dishes were not up to their usual standard. Although we usually eat at 22 North multiple times during our three week visit, this year we did not. We will try it again next year based on previous experiences.
- ExcellentChapman1997Dined on 7/24/2014The food was amazing and excellent service...staff answered all our questions quickly and loved the "chalk board" menu that was proof to the freshness of the food and the creativity of the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hole in the wall but fantastic foodseven13Dined on 7/20/2014You won't even notice this place unless you're looking for it. Don't go for the ambiance, go for the food. Who really cares about the scenery when the food is this good? We went to the Oceanic the night before, and it was all about the pier and the view of the ocean… but the food wasn't all that. Here it was the opposite. They stand a chalkboard with the menu on it beside your table, as it changes daily, so it's not a long list. Everything we had was perfectly delicious and beautifully presented. I think our server was Josh, and he was attentive, knowledgable, and courteous.Special Features:
- Good place, would go backmschaefDined on 7/17/2014Great little place, with only a few downsides. As the reviews led us to believe, the restaurant presents the menu on a chalkboard and easel. As items sell out, they're erased from the menu. The physical layout of the restaurant is more 'beach bar' than 'fine dining'... appropriate for the location, but set your expectations accordingly. The food was generally better than the 'beach bar' ambiance would suggest.... nicely prepared and some nice creative touches. The only notable negative was that my wife ordered the seared scallops, which were presented in a thin sauce that compromised the crispness of the sear. Also, the water suffers from the sulfur that seems to pervade Wrightsville beach... bottled is the way to go if they have it.
- Great Despite Noisy Bridal PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014A large group of young women at the next table spoiled the ambiance and distracted our server, but despite the loud bachelorette party, we enjoyed our second visit and will return again. Probably on a quiet weeknight.Special Features:
- MollertsDined on 7/10/2014Wonderful find! Our waitress was attentive; the food was terrific.Special Features:
- Good & Fresh!MusickieFoodieDined on 7/4/2014The ambiance could use a bit of improvement, but overall a very good experience. The menus are on large blackboards that they carry from table to table, which we quite liked - it makes the menu a conversation piece! All the food is local and fresh daily. Our food was great, service was good, parking was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tammy pasourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014Great staff-great food- great atmosphere- can't wait to come back- love how the chef prepares only daily fresh foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent service/No familiesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014My husband son and I were seated in the back in the creepy bar area. Looked like a nicer place in the front. The table was dirty/sticky. Only menu is a blackboard; when asked about the items we were asked "which one". The hostess and waiter seemed to have cared less about our experience. My husband had the shrimp and grits - ok but average. We shared the crab cake appetizer. They were burned.
- Good food, needs redecoratingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014The blackboards are cool and all food was good. The place used to be a bar, and still kind of smells like it. Maybe the carpeting needs to be replaced?? There is potential here, but I think it needs some more redecorating to really be successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodCommonMan1703Dined on 6/25/2014We were skeptical looking at it from the outside. However, once we got inside and started tasting the appetizers and entrées we were convinced. This is a great find and a must visit for excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 262 reviews are from the 22 North reviews archive.
- amazing foodWashingtonVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was absolutely amazing. Like, better than most high-end restaurants in the medium-sized city where I live. The service and atmosphere weren't nearly as good, but that was okay. The service and atmosphere are what you would expect for a little beach town (corny nautical art, kinda flaky teenage staff), but the food is just off the charts good.Special Features:
- Great Food, Fun MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014Would have given 5 stars, but the venue is a bit of a beach dive. The food deserves 5 stars. Alligator bites are awesome, shrimp and grits and scallops were great too. Key Lime dessert was delicious. Fit for foodies, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in the areaEatingmachineDined on 6/21/2014Great arrive and better food. He prices where not terrible I believe you should get what you pay for and this place is not overpriced by any stretch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant nightDianeDined on 6/21/2014Ordered the pork chop, which was fantastic. Husband ordered gator, it was "just okay" although restaurant was not busy, service was a bit slow, which was okay as we were not in a rush. Walked beach after eating. Overall nice dining experience and will return.Special Features:
- Good but not goodCharmHunterDined on 6/15/2014I went to visit my hometown and of course I was hunting for some fantastic fresh seafood. 22 North had a very small menu that changes daily. Pork is placed in a lot of their dishes. When I asked for the pork to be removed from the dish before I ordered I was informed that the chef was unable to remove the pork which made me believe that the food was pre prepared in advance and not completely fresh. We finished a nice goat cheese salad and went to another restaurant. The salad was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2014Our early dinner (5:30pm) left most of the restaurant at our disposal. The staff were responsive to special dietary needs (gluten and dairy allergy) which is especially difficult given their daily changes in the menu. Each main dish was cooked perfectly with just the right amount of seasoning and/or sauce to let the flavor of the seafood come through (scallops and swordfish). The sides were identical on the two dishes and very basic - white rice and grilled summer veggies. They were just okay but again allowed the seafood to take center stage. I'm not sure how the chalkboard menu would work if the restaurant is busy, as you'll have questions about preparation, sides, etc. Coming early made it a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonRosDined on 6/11/2014We took a risk and made reservations at what for us was an unknown dining destination. We chose it because we noticed they had She-crab soup listed on the brochure in the where to eat book at our hotel. When we arrived we discovered they were not making it that night and that the menu changed daily based on what fresh fish e.g. were available that day. We ordered and the food was great. The scollops for example were cooked perfectly. This reminds me of I believe Michael's Genuine down in Miami who changes the menu based on available quality ingredients from grouper to wreckfish. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, weird atmosphereRedeemedVIPDined on 6/8/2014Weird atmosphere. can't decide whether it's a dive bar on one side a nice restaurant the other.The food was outstanding. The swordfish was delicious . The one miss on the food was a strawberry goat cheese salad which was barely above the level of bag salad.The other downside was and when we asked for the bread that was being brought to other tables the server finally brought a basket with one tiny biscuit, one tiny piece of cornbread and one tiny piece of some type of sweet nutbread. Each was delicious but for a table of three we had three tiny pieces of bread barely able to be split into thirds so each of us could have a tiny crumb.Service was okay, but not what I would expect from a restaurant of that price level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming, great findLeavethekiddosathomeDined on 6/6/2014We stumbled upon this spot after we were told to avoid the typical tourist spots. The restaurant is split where the front is a candle-lit dining area and the back is a bar. My guess is that later in the evening this place is packed. The food was great, service was very good - the menu is brought to you on a portable easel - which is a cool touch! Shrimp and grits was wonderful, and my husband loved the jumbalaya. We would definitely return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food local feelAsaMcDined on 6/4/2014This local restaurant offers a fresh daily menu on a chalkboard. The starters we tried included frog legs, gator bites and crab cakes. The scallop entree was fresh and lightly seasoned with just great flavor. The only negative is they didn't have any bottle water and the local water is tough for out of towners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all around.Blackpearl59Dined on 5/30/2014Good food and service. Solid menu with a superb dessert tray. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ejm9658Dined on 5/24/2014A blackboard menu that changes daily??? Count me in!!! I tried the crab dip, shrimp and grits and the key lime pie. All were delicious. My boyfriend had the skirt steak and he said it was fantastic. I love how the menu changes daily and the chef is very talented. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Wrightsville. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.