22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
22 Bowens Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.22bowens.com/
- Phone: (401) 841-8884
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Sunday: 11:30 - 4:30
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome to 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar and Grille, one of Newport’s finest waterfront restaurants, located in the heart of historic downtown Newport. Within easy walking distance from major hotels and with seating options from 26-40 guests, it’s the ideal spot for your next business, rehearsal or private party dinner or luncheon.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret McDonald 888-759-5557x
A word from 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)scenic view (138)romantic (116)notable wine list (113)great for outdoor dining (101)fit for foodies (97)good for groups (67)hot spot (58)vibrant bar scene (47)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (39)great for brunch (13)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- FABULOUS FABULOUSSEXXYLYPPSVIPDined on 11/24/2014I entered and was greeted by the hostess with a nice smile and welcome. I sat at the bar and was greeted by Craig, Bartender, and then eventually, Molly, Bartender, and both Craig and Molly were extremely friendly, helpful, and professional. I felt like a "regular" even this I was a "first-timer". The Steak Frites special was excellent; steak was done properly rare; and the fries were delish. I loved the Doli martini.....FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealCampDined on 11/21/2014We dined here recently with another couple. We went on a Fri night. The prix fixe menu was available. -3 courses for 29.95. There were 4 choices for entrees,4 for apps and 2 desserts to pick from. We got the salmon and the guys got the steak. We all enjoyed our meals, no complaints. Our waiter was great. This was our first visit, but will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Good!MarianneDined on 11/15/2014Enjoyed our night out at 22Bowen. It was restaurant week in Newport, so they had a special menu. Good selection, food prepared exactly as described. Would go again if we are in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 22 Bowen's in the best steakhouse in Little Rhody!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014I am never disappointed with the atmosphere, service and food from 22 Bowen's. All are always outstanding and I always look forward to my meals there!!! Fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at 22 Bowen's!KatieDined on 11/14/2014We had another great meal at 22 Bowen's! Rocco, our server, was so attentive, friendly and engaging. We dined off the restaurant week menu, which had plenty of variety and one of our guests had the ribeye. Everything was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful! The stoli dolis were flowing and we overall had a great time yet again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport 2014 Restaurant WeekGeoMarDined on 11/14/2014Ate during newport restaurant week in November. The food and service were excellent. We started with a bucket of clams which were excellent. Our second course was salmon and filet both and both were delicious. For dessert we had chocolate flan my spouse loved and pumpkin blondie, which was ok. We look forward to future visits to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMPAmp1Dined on 11/14/2014The Restaurant Week menu was excellent. As usual the food and service was excellent! Definitely a first choice anytime in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCMacVIPDined on 11/14/2014One of Newport's best restaurants! Even the locals as well as the tourist love this place. Only 1st quality food. Never disappointed...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat at 22 Bowen!TomM222Dined on 11/13/2014This was the first visit for my guest and they loved it! Patty was our server, most pleasant, accommodating, attentive! Restaurant week, so we knew it would be busy, but never a hiccup at 22 Bowen! Definitely will return - the chowder was memorable, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!TCCLDined on 11/12/2014Make a reservation because it is always busy! It was worth the 45 minute drive from where we love. The menu has a wide variety (little pricey depending on what you're looking for). The wine is amazing as well (again a little pricey).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014Evening on the menu was delicious! It is now a must stop the next time we are in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing againColoradoTasteBudsDined on 11/11/2014We are 22 Bowens frequent flyers because we've never been disappointed. The food was great and the wine selection is always nice. The seasonal cocktails are also a treat. Service was a little slower than usual, but I suspect that had to do with restaurant week. Oh! And their calamari, with peppers/jalapeños is the best we've found in all of New England!! But we like it spicy :) Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchDaveKVIPDined on 11/11/2014We stuck to the Restaurant Week Lunch Menu and both wife and I had great meals. 22 Bowens in Newport is in a great spot and on a quiet Tuesday afternoon in November, our lunch was pretty close to perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableJHayHayDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed our experience. We especially like the service. We had time to enjoy our food and have great conversation .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 22 Bowendining42Dined on 11/10/2014I had booked my reservation through Open Table for lunch at 22 Bowen. In the comments section, I had requested a table at the window and that it was a special occasion (birthday lunch). When we arrived, neither person had any knowledge of my request about a table near the window. We were told it would be a 10 minute wait. I believe that the comment portion of Open Table was not read or addressed by the restaurant staff. In the future, I will call and make the reservation if it's a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014a little noisy, a little crowded, But the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeLMB25Dined on 11/8/2014We went here during restaurant week. It was packed and we can understand why...the food and service were both great. Looking forward to returning again next time we are in Newport.
- Great lunchChrisBDined on 11/8/2014We went for Restaurant Week lunch and it was excellent! Don't forget to join the Newport Restaurant Group and enjoy this and their other restaurantsSpecial Features:
- LuvgoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 11/6/2014Used to be consistently good. Now it's just usually good. Tuna tartar was excellent, but roast chicken was overlooked & the bed of corn, Lima bean type mix chicken was on was undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceJennaDined on 11/6/2014The food was delicious. The wine was delicious. The service was excellent. It was a lovely evening out in the Newport off season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomahawk RibeyeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014We ate dinner for our anniversary and my husband and friend had a fabulous cut of meat called the Tomahawk Ribeye. The food was cooked perfectly and we all enjoyed everything we hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Great ambiance. Gorgeous bar, very cozy and romantic. Desserts are innovative and big winners! Food for dinner was above average, but a bit pricey. A cross between an ala carte steakhouse and modern American plated meals. Good service, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Made a reservation without know anything about it, except that it is by the ocean. Pleasantly surprised. Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our waiter was excellent. The food was off the charts.Special Features:
- Wow!MahkieDined on 10/27/2014Just an awesome experience! The food and ambience was superb!Special Features:
- Always a Good MealSTEVEANDDVIPDined on 10/26/2014We've been to 22 Bowens several times and it is always very good. This time was no exception. My husband tried the Delmonico Prime Steak for the first time and he absolutely loved it. He ordered it rare and that's exactly how it was done. Even the baked potato (with rosemary & sea salt) was delicious. I had the Grilled Salmon with gnocchi & asparagus and it was outstanding. The salmon was prepared perfectly and the light sauce that was used was the perfect compliment. We also started with a green salad and clam chowder both of which were excellent. We left there very happy with our dining choice!Special Features:
- So Gooddoc7Dined on 10/25/2014Pretty place, excellent service and really, really good food. The apps were all delicious! Tables are a little tight and our section was too dark to see menu. Guy next to me used his cell-phone light to read.Special Features:
- Dinner Saturday nightNHSONAlumDined on 10/25/2014We had reservations for October 25th. The staff were attentive and handled our reservation perfectly. It was a cool night and we asked for a table upstairs and we were accomodated immediately.Special Features:
- Pretty good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2014Sat on time for 7:30 reservation. Ordered within 15 minutes and apps came quickly. Then waited 45 minutes for entrees, which were cold (and overpriced). No value here, and wouldn't go back due to service.Special Features:
- Superb chophouseDissatisfiedDined on 10/23/2014If you want an informal and cozy restaurant with great service and great food, 22 Bowens is for you. It's not cheap, but it makes for a very satisifying evening out. We had the lamb and a sirloin steak. Both were cooked to perfection. The calamari was fine - pretty straightforward, but well prepared. The wine list is more than ample. Just a very fine place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Great service and great food. Next time I am in Newport I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just bad...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Nice place when we walked in and got seated right away. Then we got to our table, it rocked like a boat. The waiter fixed it and gave us our water and then didn't see him again for 15 minutes. So after being seated for 30 mins we finally received our drinks(just 2 of us). Shortly after we got our app(which was the only good thing we received). 10 mins later he comes and says that our dinner will take another 15 min. I ordered a filet "med rare on the rare side", it came burnt on the outside and well on the in, so I sent it back. The manager comes back with it cut in half and tells me that that is the way they cook their filet, because it was pink in the very very middle. I wish I took a picture it was that bad...Special Features:
- Great food and excellent servicehoneymooner16Dined on 10/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary and had a blast! The service was great and the food was absolutely amazing. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delectable seafood!Arely417Dined on 10/18/2014Our dinner was absolutely amazing although we had to wait a bit longer than expected. The calamari was crispy, the sauce on the swordfish was divine. The desserts are finger licking delicious. I highly recommend 22 Bowen's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing.romantic eveningrelaxing2hrsDined on 10/18/2014Reservations perfect. No waiting. From the moment we sat down we knew it was going to be a great evening. We were in the Captains Room ovwrlookig the wharf and its hustle and bustle. Nest2The waiter I think,Philip was awesome. No rushing. Made us feel very welcome. Food was excellent. Philipo had some excellent suggestions. Bowens was right in the heart of downtown Newport. Would highly recommend and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic and deliciousklovestodineDined on 10/18/2014The setting of this restaurant is fabulous, the food was to die for, but a little pricey. Not where I would frequent often, but great for an occasional treat or a special occasion. The service was exceptional throughout our meal. Would definitely recommend as a great steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingmwr333Dined on 10/18/2014My girlfriend & I celebrated our 1 year anniversary here. The atmosphere, service and food were all top notch. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome night in NewportOutstandingVIPDined on 10/18/2014Just cannot say enough about Bowen's. Their service is amazing, Aldo was awesome and the food could not have been better. The view, the food, the service was all outstanding. Thanks for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks aroundMariceannDined on 10/15/2014You usually don't go to a restaurant on Newports wharfs to get a good steak, but 22 Bowens does steak better than any steakhouse I have visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak and Chop househplmVIPDined on 10/14/2014Expensive but mostly worth every penny, top notch quality meats and seasoned preparations i.e. your steak will arrive the way you ordered it Extensive wine list where with some searching you can find some relative bargains. Great atmosphere (downstairs) and always very clean. Waiters and waitresses seem to change frequently but are well trained. Big city restaurant in Newport.Special Features: