22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
22 Bowens Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.22bowens.com/
- Phone: (401) 841-8884
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Sunday: 11:30 - 4:30
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome to 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar and Grille, one of Newport’s finest waterfront restaurants, located in the heart of historic downtown Newport. Within easy walking distance from major hotels and with seating options from 26-40 guests, it’s the ideal spot for your next business, rehearsal or private party dinner or luncheon.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret McDonald 888-759-5557x
A word from 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)scenic view (140)romantic (118)notable wine list (115)great for outdoor dining (106)fit for foodies (98)good for groups (69)hot spot (58)vibrant bar scene (47)neighborhood gem (41)great for lunch (40)great for brunch (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner was awesome. Not rushed, but spent about 2 hours between salads, meal, dessert, etc. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalcoDined on 8/16/2014Couldn't have asked for a better meal and experience. Food was outstanding. The location was wonderful. Our table overlooked the entire wharf scene. Tremendous wait staff. Carol the waitress was outstanding. Would go back there in a heart beat. Two thumbs up!!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in NewportluvnewportDined on 8/16/2014I have been to 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille every time I visit Newport and it never disappoints. The food and service are consistently top notch. It is one of the best restaurants in Newport. We had a 7:30 reservation and we were seating right on time. It was very crowded but service and food were outstanding as always.Special Features:
- Food Served LukewarmnewportfanDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I visited 22 Bowens on our 45th Wedding Anniversary and enjoyed everything except the fact that our meals were served lukewarm. This should never happen in a fine dining establishment charging top tier prices. The service was excellent from our server who actually presented us with a champagne toast on the house - a very nice touch for the occasion.Special Features:
- chloebuttsVIPDined on 8/14/2014You can always count on 22 Bowens for a fantastic steak dinner w/ fantastic side dishes! We had a great waiter as well who was very attentive and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a TraditionGettingAwayDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I spend our Anniversary in Newport and this Restaurant has now become a apart that tradition. You will open your wallet here a little wider then some of the surrounding restaurants but it is well worth it Tuna Tartar is fantastic and the steaks are well cared for. If you like wine, you'll love their selections.Special Features:
- It was okRjlk11Dined on 8/14/2014I ordered the rib eye Oskar style, which was a special for the night. I feel as if it lacked seasoning and was previous frozen. Our server was great. The biggest disappointment was we were well dressed ( wedding anniversary. ). And the ppl sitting at the table next to us were wearing bathing suits. When spending that kind of money for dinner I would rather not look at someone in swim shorts and a wife beater. Next time we will eat somewhere else.
- can't say enoughwinesnobDined on 8/13/2014we eat here on a recommendation and return two more time during our stay....and that is so unlike us since we like to explore....BOOK IT!!!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceTeamHynesDined on 8/12/2014Simple menu with great flourishes that make meals interesting. Had the Atlantic salmon with gnocchi and shrimp. Was really good. I don't know what the sauce was, but it was really light and complimentary to the dinner. We also had chilled shrimp for an appetizer with cocktail sauce and horseradish. Extra spicy, but great. Interesting cocktails. I had a blueberry lemonade which is made with blueberry gin. My friend had a few stoli doli's and they were delicious. Would recommend and would definitely go back. You need reservations during summer season or you're going to wait - like an hour.Special Features:
- Great Mealnewport2dineDined on 8/10/2014You won't be disappointed. Great food and wine selection. Surf and Turf is the best I've ever had. Would go back there in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014My husband and I went here for our 10 year anniversary. The staff was wonderful. The food was delicious and just enough that we left satisfied. It is a little pricey, but well worth it! We even received a complimentary special dessert! If you can, sit on the second floor...the view is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find. Not greatDocKCDined on 8/10/2014Steak tasted like grill and lobster a bit tasteless. Other foods fine. Not as great as other reviews promised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every pennyOneSweetWorldDined on 8/9/2014Celebrating our anniversary at Bowen's and it couldn't have been better. We were a bit early for our reservation and sat at the bar and had a drink before dinner. Awesome selection and great service. Our server was cordial and very attentive. The food was top notch. I had grilled swordfish and it was the best I've ever had. She had risotto and loved it. We'll definitely be back. Also, sesting on the upstairs deck overlooking the water was the perfect touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you say underwhelming?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Clearly, this establishment rests on its location because its a joke. I could write a long review on how horrendous the service was from our waiter who couldn't be bothered, the woman helping him bus tables who kept trying to take our food we waited TWO hours for after if placed down, to the outright obnoxious manager who seemed like it was a surprise we we were underwhelmed. BUT if I did that, I would be giving way more attention than we got at our meal. Aside from that the food was horrible, outback makes a better steak. We filled on bread for $350. Make you want to go right? Go for drinks and eat somewhere else.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I attended dinner at Bowen's for our anniversary for the second year in a row & we continue to be more and more impressed with the quality of the food and service. We plan to make this an annual occurrence as they never fail to amaze us !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many great meals before this oneUnfortanateDined on 8/9/2014Not sure if management has changed! O ordered the special appetizer which was fatty. My Delmonico was very fatty not sure if they have a new vendor? they were nice to replace it with a Filet med rear which came out very rear! did not eat it! We dine at 22 Bowens when we are docked in Newport 3-4 times a summer and were very disappointed and not sure if we will go back. even the menu has typos!! 22 Bowens and management should take a hard look at what is really going on here. I should mention we are members of the fair rewards and this does not reflect the great food we receive at the other locations
- scallops were deliciouskendalldesignDined on 8/9/2014Always nice to spend some time in Newport watching all the people. Nice spot upstairs outside/inside where you can feel the salty air while you sip on some great wines. The service was good. Nice location.Special Features:
- Romantic 3rd AnniversarysurfjunkiDined on 8/9/2014We love Newport in the summer & for our anniversary date it was the perfect setting. We wanted a fine dining experience and made our reservations easily on OpenTable with a request for a seat by a window. When we arrived early for cocktails, we sat at the bar. They seemed to still be setting up, even though they had been open for lunch. It took a few minutes longer than expected to order. When time came to check in, we had our choice of tables by windows and on the patio and ordered oysters and pork belly to start–both were fabulous. We also split a steak the brussels and mac & cheese. Everything was delicious and cooked to order. Service was well-timed and friendly, & our server Jennifer took the time to register us for their rewards card.Special Features:
- NewportGirlNewportGirlDined on 8/8/2014The service and the view were great. What started out like the perfect dinner night turned out to be a bit hairy!. There was HAIR in one of the appetizers I ordered!! The manager as very apologetic and she did not charge for the appetizer and the wine. However, both my friend and I had a very bad reaction to the same appetizer. Very surprised since I have been there many times and had a very good experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had great fresh shell/sea food at a self-styled "meat" restaurant. That is their reputation but the shrimps, oysters, clam, lobster special was excellent. Thanks Rocco.Special Features:
- Fabulous spot, outstanding foodKH41Dined on 8/8/2014We were blown away by the setting, the food and the portions - 22 Bowen Wharf is a great value in a place we least expected it - at the Wharf in Newport. Not cheap, but compared to other spots, the food was outstanding, the portions huge, and the ambience and the view stellar. Great service; friendly wait staff. We have eaten at the sister restaurant Trio in Narragansett many times. 22 Bowen is now on our list as well as a new favorite. Get there early and get a table on the upper deck. You won't regret it. We reserved thru Open Table - easy to find an opening and be sure to get a seat.Special Features:
- Excellent food, ambiance & servicecaligirlDined on 8/4/2014Highly recommend this restaurant. Location on the wharf is ideal. We sat in the upper outdoor deck. Great view of the harbor and sunset. Great variety of food, we shared the cheese plate and kale salad which was delicious, I had the scallop appetizer which was ok not outstanding and my colleague had the vegetable risotto. Risotto was very good. Server was attentive and offered really good food and beverage selections. We both had a specialty cocktail...I don't normally order one of these but the lemon infused vodka drink was delicious and so was the berry gin cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view of harbor/great foodLaneyDined on 8/3/2014Our evening at 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille was a good one in many ways. Service was excellent. Its location on Bowens Wharf provides a scenic view. Ships came in and out as we dined. The food choices were excellent--offering both well-prepared and simple steaks as well as more creative choices. An ample selection of sides were available to accompany the entrees.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was a recommodation from a friend and it was 100% accurate! Great spot a must when in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CynterDined on 8/2/2014We love coming here for dinner, we are never disappointed!Special Features:
- FMvisitorDined on 7/30/2014Fodd and service were great. Very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JMROCHEDined on 7/27/2014Great spot! Caesar just ok (too much work), filet was amazing, server Mike was awesome and great spot! Service was great, disagreed with neg reviews we saw lots of staff running around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor dining experienceCherylandJoDined on 7/27/2014Out of town friends were visiting & we were looking forward to a very nice evening. Unfortunately our waitress was not on the same page. She seemed upset, maybe had personal issues or a bad day because she was not into serving that evening. Her presentation of specials & answers to any questions were not supportive of us the customers or the restaurant as we know it. Items were not served in a timely fashion; all meals were not served together. Also, waits between courses/drinks. Cappuccino coffees served cold. The final straw was the mistakes on bills; even once fixed, still errors with coffees not properly comped the coffees. Myself and one other guest was extremely happy with our dinners; the other 4 would probably never come back.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceJenneBDined on 7/26/2014We were greeted and sat 15 minutes before our reservation time. Our server, Manny, was friendly, knowledgeable and gave great opinions on wine and menu items. Great experience, I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1235 reviews are from the 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille reviews archive.
- Always ExcellentnjfrankDined on 7/25/2014We have eaten here twice and have found the food to be excellent. We have tried seafood and steak each has been prepared properly and arrives in a reasonable amount of time. Thus far, the service has been outstanding. The staff is always available, but you never feel rushed. We look forward to dining here again during our next trip to Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a glowing reviewRickDined on 7/24/2014As someone who makes their living in the food/hospitality industry, the last thing I would want anyone to say about my company is that it was a poor experience, terrible food or inattentive service. I experienced all of that and more at 22 Bowens! if you like great food and service, highly recommend eating at some of the other establishments in the area.Special Features:
- Foodies, don't waste your time or $SusanDined on 7/24/2014We were in town for the Folk Festival, I was looking for good seafood and my partner (a vegetarian) anything that wasn't. The restaurant was beautiful and crowded so I expected good food. Man were we BOTH disappointed! I ordered the scallops which arrived (seared only on one side) plated beautifully but the first bite was not so beautiful, there was no seasoning of any kind on only part of the dish and the scallops alone had no flavor whatsoever. My partner ordered a couple of sides as apparently they don't like vegetarians enough to offer options (that would be multiple options) she had the asparagus and mashed potatoes. How can you screw up asparagus and mashed potatoes you might ask....I don't know how they did it but they did!
- In the heart of everythingOpenStudioVIPDined on 7/24/2014We sat outside and had a great view of all the people passing by but yet had privacy at our table. The food was excellent and the service was great. My steak had to be sent back because it was a bit raw rather than the medium I had requested. There was no problem with that and it came back quickly. Everything else was top notch. Friendly and efficient wait staff.Special Features:
- A wonderful dinner experienceLibraryloverDined on 7/23/2014Excellent upscale restaurant near the water. The service was outstanding. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- All Around AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014From the service to the dessert, everything about 22 Bowens was outstanding! Highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion, but especially if you have a romantic occasion. Excellent wine list, best pork belly we'd ever had, and uniquely delicious desserts.Special Features:
- Meeting friends for lunchHarViVIPDined on 7/19/2014there were 4 of us for lunch - we all ordered a sandwich or lunch salad - one of our party ordered a side salad in addition to sandwich. the waiter did not bring our food out until that party finished his side salad that he wanted with his burger. when the food finally came out - he asked for his burger to be cooked well and it came out pink - suppose to have onions - no onions - the waiter was not cooperative - will not return.Special Features:
- Missed The MarkFoodyVIPDined on 7/18/2014The location on the Wharf was nice, as was the menu. The staff was very courteous but extremely slow at every phase of the meal. 22 Bowens bills themselves as a steak house and I ordered the signature steak on the menu. It was served barely warm, along with my baked potato. After taking both steak and potato back to the kitchen, the steak came back only slightly warmer and an entirely new baked potato was colder than the first. My date was a vegetarian (no meat or fish) and ordered the Risotto. It resembled something that I have never seen before ... more like lumpy oatmeal. It was inedible. Its a shame such a nice looking place in such a great location couldn't do better ...
- A must-go restaurantouttoolunchDined on 7/17/2014Don't pass up the opportunity to dine here while visiting Newport!Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The food was outstanding and the service was incredible. We were celebrating a birthday from out-of-town, which is always hard to do. Our experience was 2nd to none and we would highly recommend this resturant. Thanks for making this a very specifical occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, lively placediningguruDined on 7/16/2014Great menu, perfect location, friendly, experienced staff that pays attention even though the place was extremely busy.Special Features: