22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
22 Bowens Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.22bowens.com/
- Phone: 4018418884x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30 - 4:30
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome to 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar and Grille, one of Newport’s finest waterfront restaurants, located in the heart of historic downtown Newport. Within easy walking distance from major hotels and with seating options from 26-40 guests, it’s the ideal spot for your next business, rehearsal or private party dinner or luncheon.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret McDonald 888-759-5557x
A word from 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (155)special occasion (152)great for outdoor dining (150)romantic (130)notable wine list (119)fit for foodies (86)good for groups (66)hot spot (64)vibrant bar scene (54)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (36)great for brunch (12)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Just bad...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Nice place when we walked in and got seated right away. Then we got to our table, it rocked like a boat. The waiter fixed it and gave us our water and then didn't see him again for 15 minutes. So after being seated for 30 mins we finally received our drinks(just 2 of us). Shortly after we got our app(which was the only good thing we received). 10 mins later he comes and says that our dinner will take another 15 min. I ordered a filet "med rare on the rare side", it came burnt on the outside and well on the in, so I sent it back. The manager comes back with it cut in half and tells me that that is the way they cook their filet, because it was pink in the very very middle. I wish I took a picture it was that bad...Special Features:
- Great food and excellent servicehoneymooner16Dined on 10/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary and had a blast! The service was great and the food was absolutely amazing. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delectable seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our dinner was absolutely amazing although we had to wait a bit longer than expected. The calamari was crispy, the sauce on the swordfish was divine. The desserts are finger licking delicious. I highly recommend 22 Bowen's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing.romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Reservations perfect. No waiting. From the moment we sat down we knew it was going to be a great evening. We were in the Captains Room ovwrlookig the wharf and its hustle and bustle. Nest2The waiter I think,Philip was awesome. No rushing. Made us feel very welcome. Food was excellent. Philipo had some excellent suggestions. Bowens was right in the heart of downtown Newport. Would highly recommend and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The setting of this restaurant is fabulous, the food was to die for, but a little pricey. Not where I would frequent often, but great for an occasional treat or a special occasion. The service was exceptional throughout our meal. Would definitely recommend as a great steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014My girlfriend & I celebrated our 1 year anniversary here. The atmosphere, service and food were all top notch. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome night in NewportOutstandingDined on 10/18/2014Just cannot say enough about Bowen's. Their service is amazing, Aldo was awesome and the food could not have been better. The view, the food, the service was all outstanding. Thanks for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks aroundMariceannDined on 10/15/2014You usually don't go to a restaurant on Newports wharfs to get a good steak, but 22 Bowens does steak better than any steakhouse I have visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak and Chop househplmVIPDined on 10/14/2014Expensive but mostly worth every penny, top notch quality meats and seasoned preparations i.e. your steak will arrive the way you ordered it Extensive wine list where with some searching you can find some relative bargains. Great atmosphere (downstairs) and always very clean. Waiters and waitresses seem to change frequently but are well trained. Big city restaurant in Newport.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealJeffDined on 10/12/2014Pricy, but a wonderful experience. Wine by the glass is excessively priced. Rather generous portion size for the salmon, but not so with the scallops. Great for special occasions. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great wineColperDined on 10/11/2014The tuna tartare was sublime and the rib-eye steak perfectly cooked. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable about the beer and wine list. The wine list is exceptional. We had a Sancerrre and the Cesari Amarone; both top drawer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMartiniVIPDined on 10/4/2014Everything was terrific! We love the food, atmosphere, and our waiter was great, Fabio. Thanks.Special Features:
- Great for the special occasion.Musicomp33Dined on 9/30/2014We couldn't have had a better experience here. Good was fantastic, service was great and knowledgable about wine pairings. It was the perfect place to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TMunsonDined on 9/29/2014My boyfriend and I both work in the service industry and dine at some of the highest rated restaurants. This was by far the best experience we've had yet. Everything was perfect; the ambiance, the food, the service, and the extensive wine list. My boyfriend, who is a Sommelier, was amazed by the selection of bottled wine. Overall, incredible experience! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantFood4UrSoulDined on 9/28/2014Beautiful multi-level open air concept restaurant right on the wharf. Hostess & wait staff treated everyone like they were royalty. Really liked that. Food was very good - limited menu - very big on steaks. Only disappointment was they didn't have the Risotto which caught my eye on their outside menu.Special Features:
- Newport dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Overall the food was good. Having said that, I ordered a 14 oz ribeye and was given 2 small steaks which were 2 different thicknesses. If I am ordering a 14 oz steak that is what I expect to get. There is notable difference in getting 2 smaller steaks instead of 1 the actual size you ordered. At the price of $38 you would expect an excellent cut of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpiritDined on 9/27/2014I had the delmonico steak and it was just delicious.Very nice restaurant that is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLlind06Dined on 9/26/2014The food was amazing, and our waiter was attentive but not pushy. Entree plates are big enough for 2 to share, especially if you add soup or salad with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes but disappointingJillDined on 9/25/2014We looked forward to a nice dinner at this upscale restaurant on Bowen's Wharf. Pretty setting and nicely appointed interior. But the menu was pricey and the service was inattentive. My salmon (a la carte $26) was dry and the $9 Caesar salad that was supposedly hearts of Romaine was mostly dark green leaves. If the food had been delicious, it would have been worth it, but...Special Features:
- Food was good, but...KatraDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by numerous travel guides. The food did not disappoint, but our service was just terrible. We had to ask for everything (water, what the specials were, bread plates etc)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but never going backkirbs0440Dined on 9/21/2014Absolutely wonderful food, but during our second visit, we received embarrassingly poor service from both our server and the manager. It's too bad because the food is excellent. We will not be returning based on the poor service we received.Special Features:
- Special night made even more so!LandBDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I were so looking forward to our special get away in Newport. A perfect end to a perfect day on the water at 22 Bowens. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, wine list and specifically the cuts of steak. Our request for a window view was honored and we had a beautiful view of the harbor while we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- BarbEBarbEDined on 9/17/2014Wonderful experience celebrating a friend's birthday. Nice atmosphere for all ages.Special Features:
- Great lobster!!!!!TittaVIPDined on 9/16/2014And the chef was nice enough to extra crack it for me, so it was also very easy!!!!! Very good dinner!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationLuv2dineDined on 9/15/201422 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille has a great location in downtown Newport. Food ranged from ok (Caesar Salad) to outstanding (Roasted Lamb Sirloin). Service was well-timed and friendly. Wines were reasonably priced for the location. Despite the restaurant being mostly empty, the tables were so tightly packed together that the wait staff had to pass meals in front of our faces as they couldn't get around the table. Not a major issue for our small group but some cultures may find it off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ClauDined on 9/14/2014We were in town attending a conference and picked this place out of a list not knowing what to expect. Glad we did!! The food was great, service was awesome and ambiance was just perfect. I recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4thoughtDined on 9/13/2014Dinner was delicious. Our waiter made recommendations that were spot on. Service was attentive without being over bearing. Our guests were impressed and all would return at a future date.Special Features:
- Service seals the meal!22BowensgetBritainDined on 9/13/2014What an outstanding restaurant! The food was just amazing, but the star of the night was our waitress, a young lady named Britain! She clearly loves her job and taking care of her customers. We have been to a great many of this country's finest restaurants and my wife and I agreed that she is the best waitress we have ever had! Just an awesome place and make sure to ask for Britain as your waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristyFastidiousfeasterDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went to this particular restaurant for two reasons: 1) It looked like a decent menu, and the picture of the deck overlooking the water looked nice. 2) We had a gift card. We ended up at a table directly in the flight path of every waiter and busboy going by. Our waitress Holly, was fantastic. Forget about trying the chowder. Some creative genius decided that dill would be a nice addition. It was not. Manager needs remedial customer relations training. Entrée' arrived w/o garnish which was delivered later as a side. Scallops were mediocre. Wife's lamb was great. Overall, this is a tourist restaurant, in a tourist location, with tourist prices and tourist quality. 22 Bowens, Olive Garden, or Pub 99, your choice.Special Features:
- Great place, one of my favoritesBirdmanDined on 9/11/2014Awesome atmosphere, great high end food and reasonably priced, great oysters, great bar inside and outside on the dock. Excellent service and attention to detail, knowledge of specials and menu, including good wine recommendations. Very customer oriented. Seafood, steaks, vegi dishes, they have it all. My favorite restaurant and must visit place in Newport.Special Features:
- Never disappointedknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014Dont let their location fool you. Even though they are in a touristy spot their food is excellent. I've been there several times and have never been disappointed. The food quality the preparation and service are all excellent.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerLenaDined on 9/6/2014We had a great time at 22 Bowens. The food, ambiance, service, and location were all perfect to have a romantic dinner in Newport. Truly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!ToneDoggDined on 9/4/2014Although our first experience was not so favorable, we decided to give it another go. Every one has an off night, I suppose.... the next 2 visits including this one are all the 5 star reviews speak of. This place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedSparkyVIPDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant came very highly recommended to my and I on our vacation in Newport. It seemed like it was one thing after another. First, we had to wait 15 minutes for our waitress to take our drink order. Second, our main dish came out before our salad. Third, my wife's steak(the ribeye) was so tough she couldn't eat and my swordfish was suppose to be Cajun and it wasn't. Now, the first meal they brought out was canjun, but the next one was not. We couldn't the waitress to come over to tell her until after we already ate our side baked potato. The manager was very acommendating and offered to comp the steak and one round of drinks which we had at the outside bar.Special Features:
- Great place - bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014We made a reservation here for my friends 40th party dinner - only 3 of us were going. They were so gracious, let us get an outside table, had champagne waiting for us on the table. Then the waiter comes "the professor" - we thought at first that he had a dry sense of humor and was still nice, but NOPE. Took a really long time to keep waiting on us, took all "the special" out of the night for us. Food was a little overcooked and did say that 2 of the 3 people could reorder the steak (but he waited so long to check on us - so a manager did), we just ate it since it was $45 a plate. I would recommend this place, but recommend that YOU NOT get "the professor" Nils as your waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife was queen for the evening!RedWineMakerDined on 9/3/2014I had made a reservation for 5 online with a note that it was my wife's birthday dinner and requested a table overlooking the water. The hostess greeted us with an exchange that made us feel genuinely welcome. Once at our set and ready table (no wait), we were greeted by our charming server Holly. If you are lucky enough to be seated in her section when you dine at 22 Bowen's, you will have a dining experience unmatched by any other. Her attentiveness to detail and care was outdone only slightly by the amazing quality of the food. From drinks to apps to entrees to desserts, the five of us had nothing but raves. My wife was treated to a slice of their chocolate cake for her birthday and we left with memories that will last a lifetime.Special Features:
- BirthdaythomandnancyDined on 9/3/2014This was my fiancée's birthday and 22 Bowen made it very special. She had the special, yellow fin tuna and it was prepared just the way she liked it. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HadmuchbetterVIPDined on 9/2/2014Was not impressed with the service or the food. Sat at the dockside tables and had a waitress who was nice but was barely around. The food was just ok for the $$$$.Special Features:
- Love 22BowensLuv2dineDined on 9/1/2014Server very very good.. Our food was served lukewarm which is for us an issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Wait staff was very gracious and attentive. They helped make our anniversary a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.