22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
22 Bowens Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.22bowens.com/
- Phone: 4018418884x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30 - 4:30
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome to 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar and Grille, one of Newport’s finest waterfront restaurants, located in the heart of historic downtown Newport. Within easy walking distance from major hotels and with seating options from 26-40 guests, it’s the ideal spot for your next business, rehearsal or private party dinner or luncheon.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret McDonald 888-759-5557x
A word from 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille
Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (155)great for outdoor dining (153)special occasion (149)romantic (122)notable wine list (113)fit for foodies (83)hot spot (65)good for groups (63)vibrant bar scene (51)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (36)late-night find (13)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Newport dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Overall the food was good. Having said that, I ordered a 14 oz ribeye and was given 2 small steaks which were 2 different thicknesses. If I am ordering a 14 oz steak that is what I expect to get. There is notable difference in getting 2 smaller steaks instead of 1 the actual size you ordered. At the price of $38 you would expect an excellent cut of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I had the delmonico steak and it was just delicious.Very nice restaurant that is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes but disappointingJillDined on 9/25/2014We looked forward to a nice dinner at this upscale restaurant on Bowen's Wharf. Pretty setting and nicely appointed interior. But the menu was pricey and the service was inattentive. My salmon (a la carte $26) was dry and the $9 Caesar salad that was supposedly hearts of Romaine was mostly dark green leaves. If the food had been delicious, it would have been worth it, but...Special Features:
- Food was good, but...KatraDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by numerous travel guides. The food did not disappoint, but our service was just terrible. We had to ask for everything (water, what the specials were, bread plates etc)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but never going backkirbs0440Dined on 9/21/2014Absolutely wonderful food, but during our second visit, we received embarrassingly poor service from both our server and the manager. It's too bad because the food is excellent. We will not be returning based on the poor service we received.Special Features:
- Special night made even more so!LandBDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I were so looking forward to our special get away in Newport. A perfect end to a perfect day on the water at 22 Bowens. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu, wine list and specifically the cuts of steak. Our request for a window view was honored and we had a beautiful view of the harbor while we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- BarbEBarbEDined on 9/17/2014Wonderful experience celebrating a friend's birthday. Nice atmosphere for all ages.Special Features:
- Great lobster!!!!!TittaVIPDined on 9/16/2014And the chef was nice enough to extra crack it for me, so it was also very easy!!!!! Very good dinner!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationLuv2dineDined on 9/15/201422 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille has a great location in downtown Newport. Food ranged from ok (Caesar Salad) to outstanding (Roasted Lamb Sirloin). Service was well-timed and friendly. Wines were reasonably priced for the location. Despite the restaurant being mostly empty, the tables were so tightly packed together that the wait staff had to pass meals in front of our faces as they couldn't get around the table. Not a major issue for our small group but some cultures may find it off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ClauDined on 9/14/2014We were in town attending a conference and picked this place out of a list not knowing what to expect. Glad we did!! The food was great, service was awesome and ambiance was just perfect. I recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4thoughtDined on 9/13/2014Dinner was delicious. Our waiter made recommendations that were spot on. Service was attentive without being over bearing. Our guests were impressed and all would return at a future date.Special Features:
- Service seals the meal!22BowensgetBritainDined on 9/13/2014What an outstanding restaurant! The food was just amazing, but the star of the night was our waitress, a young lady named Britain! She clearly loves her job and taking care of her customers. We have been to a great many of this country's finest restaurants and my wife and I agreed that she is the best waitress we have ever had! Just an awesome place and make sure to ask for Britain as your waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristyFastidiousfeasterDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went to this particular restaurant for two reasons: 1) It looked like a decent menu, and the picture of the deck overlooking the water looked nice. 2) We had a gift card. We ended up at a table directly in the flight path of every waiter and busboy going by. Our waitress Holly, was fantastic. Forget about trying the chowder. Some creative genius decided that dill would be a nice addition. It was not. Manager needs remedial customer relations training. Entrée' arrived w/o garnish which was delivered later as a side. Scallops were mediocre. Wife's lamb was great. Overall, this is a tourist restaurant, in a tourist location, with tourist prices and tourist quality. 22 Bowens, Olive Garden, or Pub 99, your choice.Special Features:
- Great place, one of my favoritesBirdmanDined on 9/11/2014Awesome atmosphere, great high end food and reasonably priced, great oysters, great bar inside and outside on the dock. Excellent service and attention to detail, knowledge of specials and menu, including good wine recommendations. Very customer oriented. Seafood, steaks, vegi dishes, they have it all. My favorite restaurant and must visit place in Newport.Special Features:
- Never disappointedknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014Dont let their location fool you. Even though they are in a touristy spot their food is excellent. I've been there several times and have never been disappointed. The food quality the preparation and service are all excellent.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerLenaDined on 9/6/2014We had a great time at 22 Bowens. The food, ambiance, service, and location were all perfect to have a romantic dinner in Newport. Truly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!ToneDoggDined on 9/4/2014Although our first experience was not so favorable, we decided to give it another go. Every one has an off night, I suppose.... the next 2 visits including this one are all the 5 star reviews speak of. This place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedSparkyVIPDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant came very highly recommended to my and I on our vacation in Newport. It seemed like it was one thing after another. First, we had to wait 15 minutes for our waitress to take our drink order. Second, our main dish came out before our salad. Third, my wife's steak(the ribeye) was so tough she couldn't eat and my swordfish was suppose to be Cajun and it wasn't. Now, the first meal they brought out was canjun, but the next one was not. We couldn't the waitress to come over to tell her until after we already ate our side baked potato. The manager was very acommendating and offered to comp the steak and one round of drinks which we had at the outside bar.Special Features:
- Great place - bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014We made a reservation here for my friends 40th party dinner - only 3 of us were going. They were so gracious, let us get an outside table, had champagne waiting for us on the table. Then the waiter comes "the professor" - we thought at first that he had a dry sense of humor and was still nice, but NOPE. Took a really long time to keep waiting on us, took all "the special" out of the night for us. Food was a little overcooked and did say that 2 of the 3 people could reorder the steak (but he waited so long to check on us - so a manager did), we just ate it since it was $45 a plate. I would recommend this place, but recommend that YOU NOT get "the professor" Nils as your waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife was queen for the evening!RedWineMakerDined on 9/3/2014I had made a reservation for 5 online with a note that it was my wife's birthday dinner and requested a table overlooking the water. The hostess greeted us with an exchange that made us feel genuinely welcome. Once at our set and ready table (no wait), we were greeted by our charming server Holly. If you are lucky enough to be seated in her section when you dine at 22 Bowen's, you will have a dining experience unmatched by any other. Her attentiveness to detail and care was outdone only slightly by the amazing quality of the food. From drinks to apps to entrees to desserts, the five of us had nothing but raves. My wife was treated to a slice of their chocolate cake for her birthday and we left with memories that will last a lifetime.Special Features:
- BirthdaythomandnancyDined on 9/3/2014This was my fiancée's birthday and 22 Bowen made it very special. She had the special, yellow fin tuna and it was prepared just the way she liked it. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HadmuchbetterVIPDined on 9/2/2014Was not impressed with the service or the food. Sat at the dockside tables and had a waitress who was nice but was barely around. The food was just ok for the $$$$.Special Features:
- Love 22BowensLuv2dineDined on 9/1/2014Server very very good.. Our food was served lukewarm which is for us an issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Wait staff was very gracious and attentive. They helped make our anniversary a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentmcdapDined on 8/31/2014Had another wonderful meal at 22 Bowens. Great meal, Ambiance, and exceptional server (Tracy) a win, win!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Love 22 Bowens!!!! Food is amazing. Waitress was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Very pricy for not that much food. Got 2 glasses of, a lobster and salmon and the bill came to over $160Special Features:
- Nice view OK foodRIFoodieVIPDined on 8/25/2014I had fish and chips, nothing special. My girlfriend has lobster salad which was also OK. Service was average. The ambiance is what this restaurant is all about, sitting on the wharf and people watching. Food is just average.Special Features:
- 5 Star 22 Bowens Wine Bar & GrilleGemini007Dined on 8/24/2014Food was great sat outside right along the dock does not get any better on a summer nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!!JendVIPDined on 8/22/201422 Bowens has ways been one of our favorites in Newport. Food is consistantly great. Stoli Doli's are a must. Britton, one of the waitresses is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HerrDocDined on 8/22/2014We were able to book a table outside - always good for people watching. Waitress was very accomodating. Salmon entre was quite good. I was able to get a "simply prepared" entre not on the normal menu of pan-seared scallops & roasted asperagus -wonderfully done. The chocolate cake dessert (shared) was a great ending to the meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014waitress was terrible i am never coming back againSpecial Features:
- Consistently good food, great viewKH41Dined on 8/20/2014Consistently good food but mostly for seafood fans. Only a handful of items on the menu do not involve seafood or fish. However the portions are excellent, the food always tasty, and the view and location here stellar. Was disappointed on our second visit to realize that they only open the upper deck for lunch on the weekends - or 'sometimes' Thursday and Friday if it's a holiday - sounds like they do it as needed. The upper deck is still our preference so that was a disappointment for our lunch, but we were able to get there early and secure a table outside in the shade. But downstairs also means quite a few baby carriages .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawlessmua50Dined on 8/18/2014A wonderful experience! When i mentioned my food allergies, i was very well taken care of. The lamb was delicious! The sides very generous.Special Features:
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner was awesome. Not rushed, but spent about 2 hours between salads, meal, dessert, etc. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalcoDined on 8/16/2014Couldn't have asked for a better meal and experience. Food was outstanding. The location was wonderful. Our table overlooked the entire wharf scene. Tremendous wait staff. Carol the waitress was outstanding. Would go back there in a heart beat. Two thumbs up!!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in NewportluvnewportDined on 8/16/2014I have been to 22 Bowens Wine Bar and Grille every time I visit Newport and it never disappoints. The food and service are consistently top notch. It is one of the best restaurants in Newport. We had a 7:30 reservation and we were seating right on time. It was very crowded but service and food were outstanding as always.Special Features:
- Food Served LukewarmnewportfanDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I visited 22 Bowens on our 45th Wedding Anniversary and enjoyed everything except the fact that our meals were served lukewarm. This should never happen in a fine dining establishment charging top tier prices. The service was excellent from our server who actually presented us with a champagne toast on the house - a very nice touch for the occasion.Special Features:
- chloebuttsVIPDined on 8/14/2014You can always count on 22 Bowens for a fantastic steak dinner w/ fantastic side dishes! We had a great waiter as well who was very attentive and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a TraditionGettingAwayDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I spend our Anniversary in Newport and this Restaurant has now become a apart that tradition. You will open your wallet here a little wider then some of the surrounding restaurants but it is well worth it Tuna Tartar is fantastic and the steaks are well cared for. If you like wine, you'll love their selections.Special Features: