21 Montauk Highway
West Sayville, NY 11796Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.21main.com/
- Phone: (631) 567-0900x
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours Effective May 12 2014:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm -9:00pm Bar opens at 4:00pm Monday thru Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: John Menz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: We provide catering for social gatherings, corporate meetings and intimate weddings. An outdoor ceremony area is available.
- Private Party Facilities: 21 Main has a private room available that can accommodate a private party from 15-60 guests. We have A/V equipment for corporate meetings and can customize a menu to create the perfect ambiance for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Hoek 6315670900x
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Wednesday & Friday Starting at 7pm
- Special Events: Special Events
"Wine Down" Wednesday's
Featuring Over 250 Bottles of Wine at Half Price
and a Three Course Wine Dinner!
Thursday & Friday Nights 4pm - 7pm
Half Price Beer, Wine & Cocktails
A word from 21 Main
For over twenty years, Lovin' Oven Celebrations, Long Island's premiere caterer, has built their reputation on superb cuisine, elegant locations and refined staff. Their newest venture, the elegant 21 Main Steakhouse, encompasses all these things. Set in a historic mansion in the heart of Sayville, Gerard Scollan and his partner Billy Reilly, have captured the glamour and service of an era gone by - with a modern twist. Gerard Scollan and Billy Reilly, have been in the Catering/Special events business for over twenty years and are the owners of Lovin' Oven Celebrations. Lovin' Oven is the food service provider at eight elegant locations, including the renowned Land's End in Sayville and Flowerfield in St. James.Continued
For those who have experienced the quality and elegance of a Lovin'Oven event, and for those who have not yet had the pleasure, 21 Main will be a dining experience you will not soon forget.
For those who have experienced the quality and elegance of a Lovin'Oven event, and for those who have not yet had the pleasure, 21 Main will be a dining experience you will not soon forget.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
21 Main - Best Restaurants in West Sayville ›
21 Main reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (16)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (8)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Expected betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014We arrived 20 minutes prior to our 8:00 reservation and had poor service at the bar while we waited until 8:30 to be seated. There were lots of open tables but few waiters. Food was average. Patrons wearing jerseys, hats, sneakers etc on a Saturday night. Not what you'd expect at a steak house. We will not return.
- Great Find so glad we wentLaurieCDined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious. The service was great. Atmosphere was romantic and quiet and the waiter was wonderful. Absolutely no complaintsSpecial Features:
- SADLY, NOT WHAT WE EXPECTEDFoodforlifeVIPDined on 9/24/2014Took a small group for a special occasion. The waitress was very friendly and accommodating as well as the rest of the wait staff. But as soon as we sat down I got a bad feeling. The table was so wobbly that you couldn't lean on it in the slightest, which would have been an easy fix and was just obvious neglect. We ordered an assortment of foods and appetizers, The caesar salad was actually tart with some sort of vinegary dressing, not a traditional creamy caesar. My steak was good, but the mashed potatoes were thick and dry. The green beens were flavorless and tasted as if they had been slightly steamed and seasoned but were on the rubbery side. We didn't even attempt dessert and left disappointed, I don't know how they stay opened.
- Always greatcmgparsonsVIPDined on 9/20/2014When we want a dependable meal & excellent service, we always make a reservation at 21 Main. Consistently, the food selection and quality are excellent. The service is always right on.......drinks arrive promptly and with a smile. Whether steak or seafood, all of the entrees are delicious and more than satisfactory. The nitro ice cream for dessert is a special treat.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining at 21 MainFoodDetectiveDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I enjoyed our 20th anniversary dinner at 21 Main. The service was outstanding. The food was amazing... Our waiter Tom was great. Very personable and knowledgable about the menu, and we are looking forward to having Dinner there again soon.Special Features:
- A Long Island GemLIdinerVIPDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed a wonderful dinner at 21 Main, after a stop at the bar to kick off our evening. We were impressed with an extensive wine list and surprised and happy to learn that the restaurant charges only half price for all bottles of wine on Wed..... Bar service, as well as all wait staff were friendly, welcoming and professional...Food was delicious with great presentation...We will definitely plan to return soon for another great meal. One last note, 21 Main is located in what appears to have been a historical colonial home...... charming atmosphere, lovely setting...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant close to homeSurprisedDined on 9/6/2014The restaurant was great and the food was fantastic. Only issue was that they forgot one of our drinks. Other than that our waiter Tom was funny, informative, personable and quick. The drink was not forgotten by him but by a drink/food runner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always happydanielle7379Dined on 8/29/2014I'm always happy when I go to 21 Main. Not only is the food delicious but the wait staff is SO attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerjoeys2fordinnerDined on 8/16/2014Have been to 21 Main several times, but it was my husbands Birthday and he wanted to go to a very quiet relaxing place. This restaurant has it. A very enjoyable even, plus the food was very good. I totally recommend this place for a special date or occasion.Special Features:
- Great local steakhouseDbtonyDined on 8/16/201421 Main is a great local steakhouse that provides great service, nice ambience and good food. It is a steakhouse so it is going to be a bit costly, but when you compare it to the traditional NY steak restaurants it's a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 4 year anniversarySteakmanDined on 8/14/20144 years ago I went on my first date with Alice and 4 years later we are back again. We go to 21 Main for all our special occasions, birthdays, anniversaries, New Years Eve and we have even had some wine pairing dinners. 21 Main is a special place for us. The service and food have been excellent from our first time to our most recent visit! SteakmanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelydockmhDined on 8/1/2014The service, food and atmosphere was wonderful at 21 Main. The wait staff was friendly and attentive without being over bearing. It was a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always 5*cmgparsonsVIPDined on 7/26/2014We can always depend on outstanding food, drinks, service, & ambiance at 21 Main. I would not change a thing.....I love to dine there!Special Features:
- Sunday July 13, 2014Bob1Dined on 7/13/2014We have been to 21 Main before and went to celebrate our anniversary. As always the maître-d was excellent, the service was excellent and the food was spectacular. Each time I have gone, including when we had my son's rehearsal dinner there in 2009, the food has truly been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Commonly GoodFoodiesfirstVIPDined on 7/10/2014In a region with so many notable steakhouses, 21 Main is just another address. Very clean and friendly service that is professional despite their servers youth. Less notable is their rather uninspired menu of common items prepared in a somewhat pedestrian way. The Delmonico had the right temperature but was I'll trimmed and without a good crusting. Mashed potatoes were nearly as bland as instant. The foods were all nicely presented. Don't get me wrong, it is adequate but not memorable (except the check). The good news is rudimentary cocktails and nice house wines are not expensive at all. Go to say you've been but, it won't be one of those "I am definitely coming back here" evenings.Special Features:
- Not what you expect...HephaestusDined on 6/29/2014- the price was fair - the ticket time was unacceptable. Between appetizers and dinner was over 30 minutes. I ordered a 20 oz steak which had over 6 oz of fat. Talk about "mark up" - the only thing that made this dinner enjoyable was that the dinning room was almost empty so the ambient noise was down.
- Always reliable, with a new twistcmgparsonsVIPDined on 6/28/2014Always so welcoming, always delicious food served with professionalism and congeniality. Nice to see some summer items....the tuna tartare appetizer is both beautiful & delicious, skirt steak with bok choy slaw uses local ingredients well, standby steaks, seafood.....all top notch! Tom, our usual server, is both professional and personable. He remembers our preferences and never fails to enchance our dining experience at 21 Main.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedLitgalDined on 6/28/2014Highlights were the shrimp bisque, bread, mashed potatoes,and Lobster Wontons. The tuna tartar app was tasteless. Salmon was unimpressive, but the escarole was tasty. Would have liked more of a selection of wines by the glass. My husband thought the skirt steak was too chewy. We expected more/did not meet our expectations.
- MarilynmarilynDined on 6/28/2014Had dinner with friends we hadn't seen for awhile and since I chose where we were going to eat I was very pleased with the choice as were our friends. The experience was pleasant from the moment we left our car to the valet parking personnel. Upon entering 21 Main we were greeted by a very pleasant and friendly maitre`d. After being seated at our table, our waiter came over and introduced himself, a very nice young man. The food was great, as was the service, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemluv2eatDined on 6/27/2014The atmosphere was absolutely wonderful. I went there for my 1 year Anniversary and let me tell you I was not disappointed. The staff was amazing the food was amazing... The whole experience was amazing. I will be going back for future events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 629 reviews are from the 21 Main reviews archive.
- Food & wine pairing dinnerSteakmanDined on 6/25/2014This was our first time at 21 Main for a pairing! We arrived a 6 and there was only a family there so it was quiet! The first course was a pan seared salmon! I have never liked salmon so I was a little skeptic. It was fabulous, best I ever had and would eat it again here! Second course was veal chop which was just as good. Third was two pieces of pound cake between nitro ice cream filled with fresh berries! Excellent! And yes the wines were good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHockeydadDined on 6/25/2014I took my family there for my wife's 40th birthday,and it was awesome. We were very happy with the service. They were very attentive,and use a personal touch. The food was amazing. We have been to many high end steakhouses,and this is right up there with them. Our food was hot,seasoned perfectly,and cooked to our liking. My children had a wonderful dinner as well. They are very kid friendly. I would recommend going there,get a filet and some risotto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DTMDMorgDined on 6/22/2014We celebrated our Anniversary at 21 Main. It was our first experience at this restaurant and it was GREAT! The food and service were EXCELLENT! I definetly will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Took my parents here for dinner. They were blown away by the delicious food and terrific service. Thank you!Special Features:
- carygreeneDined on 6/21/2014I chose this restaurant for my wife and to celeberate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was everything that we would hope that it would be. The food was top quality, portions were large, and the service was fantastic. We would definitely come back again and would definitely reccommend your restaurant to all looking for someplace special to dine.Special Features:
- Expensive, not worth it.mesmDined on 6/21/2014We had read mixed reviews. Our server was never around unless someone told her we needed something. We had to ask to have her come to our table. We didn't know the specials until we heard another server telling a table next to ours. The salads were overdressed; bread was cold and boring. The sauce for the Mussels Casino was excellent. The bread was a huge help in getting the good bits mopped up. My petite filet didn't act like it was a filet. Very stringy and it didn't have a good char, but steak temps were good. The whipped potatoes and onion rings were fabulous.The green beans were old and tough and barely heated through - raw. Nice wine list. Definitely, try the Pelligrini Cab Franc - incredible wine. Food not worth the money.Special Features:
- Father's DayKerngeDined on 6/15/2014We went to 21 Main for a special occasion and were very pleased. Steaks, lobster cocktail, and lobster tail were all delicious. Salads and sides were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Slice of the Good LifePaulie2Dined on 6/14/2014My wife and I regularly go out with other couples. We had reservations for four and enjoyed both the bar and the overall meal experience. We appreciated the attention to detail, the presentation, and the friendly service. Keep up the great work. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Game nightLionDined on 6/13/2014Dining close to the bar area on a game night is not advised unless you wish to watch the game and partake in the commentaries. It was loud and festive. Food was still excellent.
- Special Occasiondine54Dined on 6/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary on June 11.We went to 21 Main. It was a wonderful experience,The manager Dion walk the floor talking to all his patrons,and Tom our waiter was great,would return. Thanks to our son Joe and his wife for the gift card. The portions were more than enough,The risotto was great as was the Sea Bass. Totally relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice quiet dinnerStrongarmDined on 5/31/2014Excellent steaks... We are sort of burned out on steaks but I have to say, this ribeye was OFF the charts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Service could have been better. Using college students leaves experience behindSpecial Features:
- outstandingSteakmanDined on 5/25/2014Took my fiancé, Alice here for her birthday, I had ordered flowers for the table and a birthday cake through, Audrey's bakery in Sayville that is affiliated with 21 Main. Had a wonderful dinner, Tom our waiter brought out Alice's birthday cake with lit candles and sang a soft Happy Birthday to Alice! it was very touching, Alice was surprised and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT FOR ROMANTIC DININGChowDownDined on 5/23/2014The food was very good, the risotto was outstanding! The service was excellent, the only problem was it was listed as Romantic, but we were seated in a completely empty place then they sat a party of 5 children right next to us. All they did was scream, the manager said he was unable to move them or us and it was a family restaurant. So I would not consider this as Romantic, just a very expensive children's dining restaurant.Special Features:
- Wow!fraLDined on 5/22/2014Awesome filet mignon. Awesome calamari. Awesome happy hour at bar prior to dining. Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional SteakhouseSSBourneAgainDined on 5/16/2014I have been passing 21 Main for my entire life. I was raised in Islip township. I love steak and have been to many notable steakhouses around the world. I was extremely pleased with the food. The spinach was the best that I have ever tasted. In addition, the staff was the most pleasant of any restaurant that I have ever visited. My husband and I will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but spendyMoosesCookieDined on 5/11/2014Went on Mother's Day & the service was great, very warm & friendly. Food was delicious as well as artfully displayed. We had an appetizer, 4 main courses, two glasses of wine & a dessert spending about $230 so it's spendy but worth it on special occasions. Try the nitro ice cream... Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDianeDined on 5/11/2014The maître dee visited our table numerous times. Even the buss boys were amazing. We had a 3 year old with us. They had chicken fingers for him. The maître dee made sure told the 3 year old that the chicken fingers were his favorite. The waiter established a relationship with us like we've been friends forever. Anything we asked for was their immediately. It was Mother's Day. Other restaurants we've been to on a holiday you can tell the staff is overwhelmed. Not the case here. No rush. Waiter easily available. Very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food & Service!EatinGoodDined on 5/10/2014Very nice high end steakhouse where you are definitely treated "special". Certainly on the pricey side but a definite consideration for special events or romantic dinners. Never felt rushed and appreciated the visit to our table by the proprietor!Special Features:
- What happened!cidriveuVIPDined on 5/10/2014What happened to the restaurant it was one of our favorites... It seemed all was confused on how to serve... Had a porterhouse for two... It was left on the table we served ourselves. The steak was good I just wish the service was what it used to be! Did you change owners? Don't think I will be coming back!