21 East Washington St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.21eastbarandgrille.com/
- Phone: 8642710533
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: John Acker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Catering: Planning a special event? Host your next party - whether it's an anniversary, a wedding or a corporate event, we'll cater to your every need. We'll give you exclusive access to our restaurant and, you'll be involved in all the planning, from the menu and wine selections to the overall theme of the event.
- Private Party Facilities: Planning a special event? Host your next party at 21 East. Whether an anniversary, wedding or a corporate event, we'll cater to your every need. We'll give you exclusive access to our restaurant and let you be involved in all the planning, from menu and wine selections to the overall the theme.
- Private Party Contact: Lilly Ng 8649012088
A word from 21 east
21 east opened in June 2012 with the goal of being Greenville’s favorite new venue to drink, eat, and play. We strive to create unique and exciting drinks and dishes, in an atmosphere that keeps people coming back for more. Our chef, John Acker, is constantly working to ensure that our menu stays fresh and interesting. A primary initiative here at 21 east is also to promote “local” to the best of our abilities. This can be seen in the form of artists who perform here, all the way to the ingredients in our dishes. If you have not made it in to see what we are all about, you are without a doubt, missing out. So, come in and let our amazing staff take care of you. We look forward to meeting you! Cheers! Food. Spirits. Music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
21 east reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (2)special occasion (1)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- ramblinrevRamblinrevDined on 7/28/2014the food combos were bold. Buffalo sauce and rum syrup! I was pleased. They do have limited menu items, NO real dinner plates, and NO ice Tea! surprising, even for a bar/eatery combo. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Horrendous ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014On a mid week night, with barely any tables, the service was awful. Slow to have food order taken, forever to get any food, no apologies from waitress or management. Maybe on a busy night but with 3 other tables they were either staffing their D team or had just given up completely. We probably will not return.
- So so restaurantGreenvillefoodieDined on 7/3/201421 east has great potential to be awesome, but it's not there yet. There were no more than 8 other people there on a Thursday night, and it's been like that the past few times I've been there. The food has improved, but is still not drawing crowds. If more people went there, it would be a lot more fun, but now it's just an empty restaurant with a decent menu. Don't really recommend it, not my favorite place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014LOVE your restaurant! We tell all our friend about it and really like the menu changes and the detail that the chef brings to each meal! Love the presentation as well - just as good as the big restaurants that we have been to - even in NYC!Special Features:
- nothing to write home abouteatnoutDined on 6/14/2014We had an early dinner, so the place was very quiet. We had a bench seat that felt like it was leaning forward, and I was going to slide off at any moment. The food was good, but not spectacular for the cost. There are many other places I would choose to go spend that kind of money for dinner. If a friend wanted to go, I would go with them, but I wouldn't suggest this place.Special Features:
- wouldn't recommendharleymanDined on 6/9/2014We were disappointed with the menu as it was not as it was posted on your site. It was much more limited which excluded us ordering our desired meals. We asked for iced tea and they didn't have any (in a Southern restaurant???) My girlfriend's filet mignon was tasteless, my duck breast was okay. We had to ask for salt and pepper as there were no condiments on the table. I would never recommend this establishment.
- Good restaurant but too expensiverthie330Dined on 6/6/2014Selected 21 East for a date night and because of the living social coupon. Overall, the restaurant is in a great location and is nicely decorated (modern). We ordered the pork belly for an appetizer, each had a salad (roasted beet salad and a duck breast salad) and then split an entree of the sea bass. Presentation was executed very well for each dish. However, the food aspired to justify the fairly lofty pricing but fell notably short in a couple of areas. The pork belly was served barely warm. The sea bass, as their most expensive dish, also fell short. The fish was cooked nicely but lacked sufficient seasoning. It was served atop greens (kale I think) that were mushy and tough. Absent a coupon, we would probably not return.Special Features:
- The following 91 reviews are from the 21 east reviews archive.
- Great FoodSharonaDined on 5/30/2014I love the food here. Usually I have trouble deciding what to order. The chicken and waffles are excellent. The burger and excellent fries is another great choice. In the future I want to try the She-crab soup and the soft-shell crab. The only complaint I have is the noise level. When the bar is busy, you can hardly have a conversation.Special Features:
- 2nd timeSkscrivDined on 5/23/2014This was my second time at 21 East, and this time it was girls night. 2 of us had the delicious chicken and waffles, and the last girl had lobster mac and cheese. We started with tots and the pork belly. It was all fantastic! the drinks as well. Didn't go to the club upstairs....maybe next time.Special Features:
- New takes on Southern classicsNewSouthernDined on 5/23/2014The 21 East chefs take old Southern classics, like shrimp and girts, and create new culinary wonders. While portions are not like those of a good Southern meal, the food is wonderfully flavored and well presented.Special Features:
- Great foodSharonaDined on 5/20/2014There are so many foods that I like on the menu, it makes it hard to decide. I really love the chicken and waffles. I also always order the French fries. The choice of draught beers are excellent. If you want a really good meal with a great beer, this is the place to go. The location is close to everything.Special Features:
- Not returning.nomgreengirlDined on 5/17/2014They've removed the entrées we enjoyed the most, and raised the prices on everything else. Nothing we had was that impressive, and more expensive.
- Good place for a casual datefrightenedrabbitDined on 5/16/2014Went on a Friday night- was surprisingly not packed for a relatively small space! Firecracker Shrimp appetizer started the meal right, with a diverse if short draft list accompanying. Burgers were on point, wait staff were friendly and helpful...a really great tiny downtown restaurant, and very nice to go somewhere not directly on Main Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing HamburgerJustinVIPDined on 5/15/2014The prime hamburger was one of the best burgers I have ever had. Cooked perfectly with a great sauce. The coconut ice cream dessert was a delicious end to a great meal. The waittress was so nice and attentive to every request. The manager even same out to greet us. I can't wait wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intimate bar restaurantFoodieRobDined on 4/19/2014We had a great time at 21east.. The restaurant area is small an intimate with a lively bar. The food was very good, we had the scallops and the duck breast and shared a spinach salad. Everything was great, except for the crème Brule which was just ok.. I would definitely go back. FYI - they have an additional bar/club upstairs so if you get there late for dinner it might be loud.. We were there from 8 to 9:30 and it was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good appetizersFrenchfoodieDined on 3/14/2014The service and drinks were great. The appetizers were really good, but I could have skipped the entrees entirely. They weren't bad, but definitely not up to par with so many other great restaurants in Greenville.
- Bday bashevs234Dined on 2/18/2014Was a wonderful spot at Downtown Greenville, SC. Close to Main St. The music fit the atmosphere. The bar area was interesting with the lighting going around it. Great place to bring your friends for a relaxing time. I would recommend 21 East to anyone. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, crowded, and loud.Meff44VIPDined on 2/15/2014Small, crowded, and loud. A glorified bar with decent food. Very loud.Special Features:
- decent, not great...guyWhoEatsFoodDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I checked out 21 East for dinner last week, and all-in-all, it was a big old plate of ok. We got the firecracker shrimp appetizer, which was plenty, and decently good, however it was not spicy or super flavorful. However, the drinks we ordered were very good. Our mains were ok, I tried the meatloaf and she got the chicken and waffles. Neither of us ate more than about a third of our meals, just due to lack of interest, to be honest. Both mains were plated beautifully, but just didn't deliver on the taste the way we had hoped by looking at them. We also got a cheesecake desert, which was also just ok. I would recommend 21 east if you're looking for a place to get your drink on before dinner, but I probably wouldn't stay and eat.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day HitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Well done - flowers and a private romatic seating areaSpecial Features:
- Gemlonnieltl0vDined on 2/14/2014Using OpenTable made the reservations easy. The food was great and so was the staff. The manager made us feeling special, by making sure we were taking care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was faster thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014The service was faster this second time around. Food great and price reasonable.Special Features:
- Burger HeavenBelladonnaDined on 1/11/2014While there are many other great items on the menu, we loved the burgers! Truffle Parmesan fries are fabulous. Decor is clean, modern and spacious. Vibrant, bustling atmosphere that still allows for a private conversation. Total experience was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Poor ServiceLDisabDined on 1/10/2014We have been here several times and brought friends for the first time. The service was so poor our food came out cold. We had to send it back. There were four of us at the table and one of us didn't receive our meal for a good 7 minutes after the rest of us were served. The food would have tasted much better if it had been warm. It must have sat in the dumb waiter for a long time before coming to our table. I would recommend going on a week night when they are less busy and I know you will have an amazing meal. The chef knows exactly what he or she is doing. The front of the house leaves a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- 2nd trymikeyDined on 12/28/2013Thought this was very good the first time. But not so good this second time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Nice!ExcellentVIPDined on 12/7/2013I've seen mixed reviews about 21 East. I had a good experience and the prices were reasonable. I had a really good tasting 21 east burger. Was not in the mood for anything much. The fries were cooked just right. Our waitress was pleasant and seemed to care. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Delicious Delicious!21EastFanDined on 11/22/2013The food is amazing! Everything from the salads, to the tacos, to the lobster mac and cheese! If you are looking for a tasty dinner and a fun atmosphere, head to 21 East! I always enjoy what I order when I eat here. Happy hour ended at 7:30 and my date and I came just in time to take advantage of $4 glasses of house wine. We enjoyed our night and our menu selections hit the spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want to like this place.ScdinerVIPDined on 11/22/2013I want to like this place. Very close to my home. Food is good,but usually not very hot. Service is bad. Slow, not friendly
- Very SatisfiedFeliciaDined on 11/16/2013The atmosphere was very comfortable, small lighted candle on the table!! The service was great! We ordered the Chicken and Waffles and our food was delicious! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseGreenvillefoodieDined on 11/2/2013This was my second dining experience at 21 East. My first was almost 6 months ago, and it wasn't very impressive; the food was amazing though, so we decided to give it a second chance. I am so glad we did. The food was incredible, as before, but additionally, the service was very good and the ambiance was very nice. I think we just had a bad night before, it was Artisphere so maybe that was why. We really enjoyed it and will definitely return!Special Features:
- good foodkatielynnDined on 11/1/2013Food was great. Service was great. Lighting was weird and noise level did not allow for easy conversation. If not for the strange lighting we would go back because the rest of the experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good place for couplesKevinDined on 10/26/2013Very nice place, food was very good, drinks were awesome, service was a bit slow though, all in all a good first time experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightSheLovesFoodDined on 8/30/2013My boyfriend and I were recommended to try this restaurant from a friend. It did not disappoint us. The chicken and waffles exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2013The grouper that was on special was delicious. The only thing missing was a great piece of bread to sop of the amazing sauce. My husband had the meatloaf that is definitely not your mother's meatloaf! Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2013We are going back again this weekend to try the burgers!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and Waffles are delish.charthillDined on 7/26/2013Chicken and Waffles are delish. Friend had the Buttermilk Fried chicken and said it was the best dinner he's ever had downtown. I had the halibut with shrimp and loved it. There is something for everyone at all price points. Just a great place and hidden away just off Main Str. Great value for the food. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food! A bit loudjillianscDined on 7/20/2013The food was wonderful. The restaurant is small thankfully we made reservations; but we were seated right by the front door; I would ask for a less obvious table. The noise level was loud and then they turned up the music while we were still eating which made it more difficult to carry on a conversation. Mind you, this was only at 7:30pm...hardly party hour. All in all, I would definitely go back again. You MUST GET the Beet Salad and the Chicken and Waffles. Everyone at our table ordered something different and no one was disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Food21EastFanDined on 7/19/2013I heard great things about some items on the menu, which is why I made reservations to take a group of friends. We loved the entrees we ordered! The Lobster Mac and Cheese was delicious as were the tacos- especially the fried crawfish! We will come back to try more from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red lighting makes salad lookgmabevDined on 7/15/2013Red lighting makes salad look old & discolored. Burger special did not include fries, making it not so special. Flounder w/sweet & sour glaze was so spicy my husband could not eat it. Shrimp & Grits had pieces of shrimp shells in it. Call to manager goes unreturned. Will Not recommend it to friends.
- Cool jointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2013Sort of like an upscale manhattan bar with great food. I say kid friendly but I would not recommend it for really you children, mostly because the seating is tight and its quite dark. I love the home made tater tots and the burger was very good, as were the parmesan truffle fries. Overall a good place and we'll go back for sure.Special Features: