21 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.21club.com/
- Phone: (212) 582-7200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00-2:30pm Monday-Saturday
Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Monday-Friday, 5:30pm-11:00pm Saturday
Upstairs at '21': Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Tuesday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sylvain Delpique
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: '21' offers 10 beautifully appointed private event rooms, including the legendary Prohibition-era wine cellar, ideal for family celebrations and corporate events. Parties of 10 to 200 for lunch or dinner and up to 450 for a reception will enjoy the Grand Award-winning wine list, splendid American cuisine, and unsurpassed service. In-house professional planning services ensure every detail of your event.
A word from 21 Club
Attentive service, fine American cuisine, a Grand Award-winning wine list and unique, historical surroundings set ‘21’ apart. Once a glamorous speakeasy, today '21' is one of the most celebrated restaurants in New York City. In addition to our two restaurants, the Bar Room and 'Upstairs', this four-story townhouse features ten private party rooms ideal for celebrations, meetings and banquets, including the legendary Prohibition-era Wine Cellar.Continued
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
21 Club reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (269)fit for foodies (154)notable wine list (144)romantic (136)neighborhood gem (109)great for lunch (100)good for groups (87)hot spot (71)vibrant bar scene (52)late-night find (38)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (5)Show More
- ExplorerExplorerDined on 11/19/2014An eternal favorite. Wonderful ambiance. Unique decor - no place matches the hundreds of toy trucks, airplanes, etc. hung overhead during the 80+ years since it started as a speakeasy. The Menu is straight forward - good choices, including 21 Club classics. Staff all cordial and efficient, and no pressure to vacate your table even at busy times. Plus, they still have the courage, or style, to require jackets be worn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my new favorite listCarolynAVIPDined on 11/14/2014I hadn't been here in years and thought of it as boring and stodgy. However, I had 4 friends from out of town, we were spending the afternoon at MOMA then going to the theater so I thought this would be convenient and easy since they have a pre-theater menu. We arrived at the bar at 5pm on a Friday. It was lively but there was seating available (a plus when your feet are tired). Service was very friendly and efficient and the drinks were more than ample in size. The same was true of the service when we were ready to be seated for dinner. We sat in the Bar Room. The toys and memorabilia hanging overhead dampen the noise level and provide a comfortable charm. The jackets-for-men dress code adds a touch of Old New York class. Even that early, the room was full and felt fun. Four of us ordered from the prix fixe menu (3 courses for $59) and were all delighted with our mealtime . The fifth person ordered oysters ("great!") and a burger which was large, juicy and cooked precisely as ordered. I will definitely be returning. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The old standard keeps deliveringOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/13/2014My daughter and I come every year or so to mark the special occasions in our lives - my book, her promotion. It never disappoints. Always terrific food (oysters, scollops, profiteroles for me - steak tartare for her), top flight New York service, and a terrific scene (the guy at the next table broke into opera).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost its BuzzsandybeachpawsVIPDined on 11/12/2014Sadly disappointed that the old "buzz" seemed gone. Very quiet the evening we went, seemed like large families of out-of-towners and tourists with children whose computers were on the entire dinner. BAr was quiet and the dining room mostly empty. Disappointed that the best dish there, their steak tartare, which used to be prepared table-side exactly to the diner's liking, now came as a very small patty - my companion and I each ordered opposite extremes - she wanted no spice whatsoever - i requested spicy. The server delivering them appeared surprised they were not identical. Bottom line they were both tiny and too spicy to eat at that. The preparation was such a big part of the experience and the "21" ritual! They need to bring that back plus everyone has preferences - capers or none, etc.. They charged $10 for the french fries that accompanied the steak tartare - I don't recall ordering them separately but I guess they assume people want them to accompany the dish. I did have the largest, sweetest clams on the half shell ever - they were quite a treat. No doubt they purchase only the best product. The service was very attentive and professional. I thought the prices were quite high but I suppose that is to be expected. It's still a great place I'm sure for a group celebration, or late after theater but I would not rush back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting legendary placeFoodhunterVIPDined on 11/8/2014It is a nice restaurant. Traditional, nice and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingDebchicDined on 11/8/2014Chose 21 because of reading about it in romantic novels, we had booked our trip to NY and wanted a special meal. I had read reviews and did realise that it was more old school . We wanted American cuisine not European fine dining that all the latest top restaurants in NY seem to be. The food was of good quality but I did feel that the service was lacking for how expensive the evening was! Had to ask twice for wine menu , and no recommendations on wine choice, also asked twice for coffee, and on entry no jacket was taken ! My husband had the ribeye steak wich he did enjoy , but the fondant potatoes were missing the people using the restaurant consisted of mainly older diners taking older children , grand children out for dinner.Special Features:
- A ClassicDavidSDined on 11/8/201421 is such a classic restaurant in NYC. So few of the old style restaurants left. The food was amazing and the room is beautiful as always. We enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantSophiaVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went before the theater and it was perfect, the food, the service and the restaurant is quite nice. The ceasar salad and the potatoes soufflé are worth trying....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014As a pre-heated meal. We ordered the prix fixe dinner. From my first taste of the soup to the coffee and desert the food was superb. I enjoyed the decor. We had a quiet corner table. The service was superb. Thank you for making this a memorable night for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureBlissDined on 11/6/2014We've been dining here for 30 years and have never been disappointed. It is more expensive than we usually like, but worth it for the service and the smiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Good Food - Historic PlaceBTrottaVIPDined on 11/4/2014Steak tartare (OK - not as good as expected) - Crabcake (Very Good) - Rib Eye (Very tasty and good perfectly at medium) Amazing service - chauncey was our waiter - old school place - power lunches/dinners - historic - ExpensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21 ClubTipsyDined on 11/4/2014Love this place! Fun atmosphere and good food. Staff is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2014Was surprised that the soup du jour. Tomato Eggplant, was excellent and could have made it my entire dinner. But glad I had ordered the 21 Club Burger - even eating it without the bun was delish. My date lovers the Lobster Thermdor.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014For the classics this is the place to go. My friend had a dry vodka martini and a burger and I had steak tartare and with a wet gin martini. We finished with chocolate pie. All perfect. Decadent and wonderful.Special Features:
- Dine with history and nice peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014This is definitely the place to go for high end dinning.Special Features:
- A bit of a let downRob321Dined on 11/1/2014We had very high hopes for this restaurant at it had good reviews. All I can say is that I think that they are living off the history of the restaurant and have let some of their standards slip. The service was hit and miss with clearly "favourite" tables, but the one thing which really put them in a bad light was that my wife's Lobster Thormadore was not cooked through. It had clearly been prepared in advance and then reheated, one end was warm, the other fridge cold. Although they replaced it with one which was hot, there was only a half hearted apology and I was really surprised not to find some form of gesture from the restaurant such as a free drink, some money of the bill etc.
- Exceptional Service and FoodFineDined on 11/1/2014As in past visits, the 21 Club didn't disappoint. It has consistently fine food, exceptionally attentive, yet non-obtrusive service, and very pleasant ambiance. The fine service and attention to detail appears to be the result of the 21 Club's large and well-trained staff. They are especially polite and caring in their approach to diners. The menu is enticing and full of well-prepared choices including beef, seafood and salads. The food is beautifully presented and the combinations of ingredients delicious, exhibiting originality without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLASSIC EXCELLENCEJAMPDined on 10/30/2014A NY Classic, totally worth it. The best of it is the service, everybody is very helpful and kind, they really know how to treat you and anticipate your every need. Excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulietteToucheeeVIPDined on 10/30/2014Great steak and the string beans were tot die for. Excellent and friendly service.Special Features:
- Wonderful time!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The kind and friendly folks and the amazing atmosphere made my birthday a night to remember! ! They even brought me an extra treat with a candle! Thank you! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still 21CharlesDined on 10/29/2014I have been going to 21 for nearly 50 years. It has been my family's place for special occasions in New York for 3 generations, and mine when I want to appear more powerful than I am. It is like no place else. Having said that, 21 has never been about the food, which is pedestrian on a good day. It is about the scene, and the power buzz from the sleek clientele. Service is formal, and focused on the many 'regulars.' It can seem cold to unfriendly those of us from out of town. So, why would anyone go (and why will I go back)? Because it's a place where, just sitting down, you feel good about yourself to be there. It is like no place else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21 Club is iconicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Beautiful bar and lounge area, that we'd like to emulate in our home, and service professionals who more than know their trade.Special Features:
- a classicgingyDined on 10/24/2014who doesnt remember restaurants from days gone by. 21 is the ultimate classic However, the food is not old, but prepared and served with a modern twist. It is like stepping back in time and remembering some of the old great movies and their artists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Dinner before the theater with my lady's birthday included. Everyone was exemplary in the warmth of their welcome and manner. Our Waiter and Sommelier made the dinner an enjoyable experience and the birthday candle in the Creme Brulee was a nice touch. Thanks to all - will return anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful environment, dated fodChrisDined on 10/22/2014The great thing about the 21 Club is the ambiance and the perfect service. The menu needs work though, as it seems a bit old fashioned and reminiscent of country club fare - good ingredients and fresh produce but not very inspiring. The wine list, by contrast, is outstanding and the sommelier could not have been more helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightsuperduperDined on 10/21/2014from the fist time you step inside this wonderful place till you leave, the staff make you feel very special. the whole atmosphere of club 21 is so alive. the food is superb, the wine list ...mindblowing.. all i can say is Thank You to all at Club 21..you are night very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!Ellen74Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent cocktails and food was superb. We felt very welcomed and valued. The atmosphere was fun and unique, will definitely go back when in NYCSpecial Features:
- MrBooleDined on 10/17/2014The 21 Club is always always outstanding. It is a unique combination of great food, ambiance, service and history. Stay strong!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealLNMtravelDined on 10/17/2014We always enjoy the 21 Club & our meal this time was no exception. The short ribs were scrumptious, the oysters on the half-shell were delicious and our desert was excellent ( I highly recommend their creme brûlée). They make one of the best sidecars but their martinis are also very good.Special Features:
- Must Do ExperienceBWayneDined on 10/17/2014Lunch at 21 Club has always been on my list of experiences that I wanted to do before I retire and move out of the City. I finally got to enjoy that experience. My guests and I were warmly greeted and immediately seated at what I would call "prime seating" for our lunch. I can't say enough about how efficient, friendly and accommodating our waiter and service staff were. They really took good care of us and certainly not in a "pushy" way so we were able to really enjoy our experience. All food was wonderful. The oysters to begin the meal were the best that I have ever had. All-in-all the experience was certainly well worth it and a wonderful memory for all who were in my party.Special Features:
- 21 ClubHilogurlDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food and service! Plus, they served our meal promptly so that we could make it to the Sondheim Theatre to see the evening production of "Beautiful".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rest on-laurels from years pastFrenchfoodlover1Dined on 10/15/2014Decor was beautiful lively Bar Scene.The best experience was from Head Waiter,Jonathan from Roswell Ga. Other Waiters were haughty and seemed rushed to get to next table. Wine Sommelier when we asked to order cocktails first-his reply I cannot help you with that ask your waiter! He never came back to ask if we wanted to order Wine with dinner? We had selected a bottle very obvious we were looking at Wine list. The dinner was so,so. Had better Steak and Pork Chops at Chops,Prime,Bones in Atlanta. Menu not great compaired with Daniells, Le Bernadine's.Waiter cleaned table next to ours shook table cloth right by our table,crumbs and all! Would suggest if you go ask to be seated in lounge,much quieter and more room!Noise level dining area badSpecial Features:
- Never FailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I have been dinning at 21 for 30 years. With all the changes in Manhattan, it remains consistent in every way and unapproachable.Special Features:
- Fine dining,lacked the atmosphere!BonBonDined on 10/15/2014I eagerly awaiting my visit to 21club, after reading various reviews. The service was outstanding but almost too good in the sense, I ended up feeling rushed. I booked this as a treat for my husbands 40th birthday, it is pricey, (even when eating from the pre-theatre menu, £120, set menu and 2 drinks each for 2 people), but the quality and presentation of the food is of a very high standard. I would recommended this for people who enjoy a fine dining experience, but for my husband and myself The Cheesecake Factory is more our cup of tea, livelier atmosphere and more food for your £.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicely done...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014Our experience at 21 was outstanding. The atmosphere was warm and elegant, the food was excellent. My only critique would be related to the service. While all our needs were met, our head waiter was rather cold and distant. Perhaps this was just his personality, but my companion and I agree that a more hospitable demeanor would have made the experience perfect.Special Features:
- Great find all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/13/2014Silvio is phenomenal and made us feel right at homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Pre theatre diningDavidDined on 10/13/2014The four of us had the fixed price $49 pre theatre dining menu and could not fault the service or the food. We were made to feel very welcome and the sommelier was especially helpful in guiding our voice of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school charmOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014this is an old school NYC establishment. Great service and exceptional wine list. Had the crab cake to start which was great, Cesar salad just ok. Filet was cooked perfect medium rare and flavorful. Risotto was under cooked which was disappointing. Crème brule to finish a good evening.Special Features:
- dizzieDined on 10/11/2014Service was exemplary, food was good and ambience was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely afternoonHappytobe21Dined on 10/10/201421 never fails! The lovely ambience in the bar area sitting across the fireplace is the most relaxing. A tall glass of champagne ( 21 house) sets the tone for your entrance to a fun lunch. Food at lunch was tasty and the impeccable service is welcome. Lunch was complete with an assortment of good desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.