21 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.21club.com/
- Phone: 2125827200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00-2:30pm Monday-Saturday
Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Monday-Friday, 5:30pm-11:00pm Saturday
Upstairs at '21': Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Tuesday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sylvain Delpique
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: '21' offers 10 beautifully appointed private event rooms, including the legendary Prohibition-era wine cellar, ideal for family celebrations and corporate events. Parties of 10 to 200 for lunch or dinner and up to 450 for a reception will enjoy the Grand Award-winning wine list, splendid American cuisine, and unsurpassed service. In-house professional planning services ensure every detail of your event.
A word from 21 Club
Attentive service, fine American cuisine, a Grand Award-winning wine list and unique, historical surroundings set ‘21’ apart. Once a glamorous speakeasy, today '21' is one of the most celebrated restaurants in New York City. In addition to our two restaurants, the Bar Room and 'Upstairs', this four-story townhouse features ten private party rooms ideal for celebrations, meetings and banquets, including the legendary Prohibition-era Wine Cellar.Continued
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
21 Club reviews from OpenTable diners
403 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (265)fit for foodies (132)notable wine list (126)romantic (121)great for lunch (109)neighborhood gem (105)good for groups (73)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (49)late-night find (28)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Great Food!VizzDined on 8/23/2014I took my visiting uncle here on a Saturday night. He ordered the Pork chops and said they were delicious. I had the Amish chicken which I must say was one of the best chicken entrees I have ever had anywhere. Service was good as well, and the ambiance is different and fun.Special Features:
- Finally!SuzicakesVIPDined on 8/23/2014In all the years of dining out I somehow never went to 21! It was our anniversary and it was lovely that everyone in the restaurant knew. The service was excellent and the ambience was - well, it was 21! I didn't think the food was so wonderful - not bad, just not to rave about. Tiny chopped salad was solid, crab cocktail, too. Chicken hash was nice but the special striped bass wasn't very good. The desserts were pretty good and they made a big fuss for our occasion. I am so glad I finally dined here - it's an experience. Cardinal Dolan was sitting next to us...so much for austerity, pope Francis!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointingScottNVIPDined on 8/21/2014It's not often that I go out for a $400 dinner for two...but when I do I expect a memorable evening that leaves me wanting to return despite the cost. The staff is wonderful. The food is not. We shared a pasta main-course for appetizer because none of the appetizers sounded even interesting. The dish was delicious. The mushroom side and puffed fries are also interesting and worthy. My halibut was so well-done the chef should be ashamed. My lamb chops (halibut replacement) were tasteless and my daughter's veal chop was mediocre with boring accompaniments. The appreciated complimentary desserts presented a delicious Creme Brûlée and an over cooked soufflé. The table next to is returned several items also. There's just no reason for this.Special Features:
- Great time!mookieDined on 8/19/201421 offers a wonderful dining experience. The waitstaff are very friendly and attentive and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Stepping back to Old New YorkSarahB1VIPDined on 8/19/2014Loved the 21 Club. I had been once before during Restaurant Week - it was fine but crowded and noisy. This time was quiet and lovely and was like stepping back in to Old New York. It was the perfect iconic place to take a friend who is leaving New York City for other pastures.Special Features:
- A very memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were celebrating our Anniversary. From the moment I was greeted by the door man, till we walked out the door, I felt everyone there, cared about our dining experience The service was the best. The menu is simple, the choices are not eclectic, but the preparation was perfect. The wine list was more up scale than I am used to, but I was able to find something in my price range that was perfect. Even the gentleman in the men's room was a pleasure, you didn't feel he was just there for tips. At the end of dinner, my server made arrangements for us to take a tour of the wine cellar, which I highly recommend. There is a lot of history here, it's not like just just going to dinner, it's really an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The extras....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We asked if we could take a sneak peak of the wine cellar downstairs and we were giving an amazing tour and learned so much history about the restaurant and building itself. It was truly an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21 Club GroupiesssplotmdDined on 8/16/2014Theatre and the 21 Club a perfect combination on any night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-fix for Pre-theater diningMrFreezeDined on 8/16/2014My recommendation is to come here for a bit of nostalgia. The 21 club offers a classic upscale dining experience. The dining room is a dark and smoky atmosphere. The ceiling in the dining room is lined with toy trucks, cars, and space ships. Did not really care for this as this seemed as a distraction from the experience. If you go make sure that you wear a jacket or you will be provided one. That little note of traditionalism somewhat lost in today's casual work and personal attire is warranted. The pre-fix pre theater menu is a well balanced 3 course meal that provides adequate sustenance without feeling unfulfilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On PointMemphisDinerDined on 8/16/201421 Club was on the short list of "must visit" restaurants in NYC and it does not disappoint. We were treated to great service, delicious food, and cozy ambience. We visited before going to see a play and highly recommend the pre-theater grouping which offered an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We will definitely be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinerdiner1Dined on 8/16/201421 Club offers diners a memorable experience. The service and attention to detail is impeccable. Your are welcomed with enthusiasm and genuine appreciation. You will find dinner entrees delectable, perfectly proportioned and beautifully presented. Charming memorabilia in the Bar Room, combined with vintage leather, linen and fine china, creates a delightful balance of whimsy and elegance. You will leave the 21 Club looking forward to your next visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014simply perfect! Great Food, even during restaurant week!Special Features:
- Great Experience!MershaVIPDined on 8/15/2014The 21 Club, was all I expected to be; from the doorman to the Maitre'D, captain, waiter, bus-person, etc., it was a great dinner experience. I love the location, too. The food was delicious. No rushing, relaxing, in other words, more than just dinner, a culinary experience at the 21 Club. I know we will return. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The roasted lamb on restaurant week was amazing. I really enjoyed the creme brûlée. And the portion was perfect. The server was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than 21 reasons to go to 21!JennieDDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful lunch! Food was specially prepared to create a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun delicious evening....BIrvDined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed our meals, the ambiance--the dining room was lively which we throughly enjoyed, and service was very attentive but not rushing. All made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Iconic 21 for those 70 and older!ChubbybabyDined on 8/14/2014My college roommate and I always go to New York for restaurant week. Our two choices were The Monkey Bar and 21. We decided that everyone should try 21. So we went to the Monkey Bar for drinks amazing-atmosphere. At 21 We were jammed next to the waiter station. The good news is that despite the fact that my roommate and I are in our late 50's we were by far the youngest people in the room by ten years. When they seated an older version of the golden girls next to us I realized this place was past it's prime. I had the braised lamb shank that tasted like mutton,while my friend had the roast chicken. She described it as nursing home food. What a disappointment! We should have stayed at the Monkey Bar!
- An interesting mixThetaSigmaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Upon entering the 21 Club, I felt as if I had walked into a very elegant club, which is exactly what I had expected/hoped for. I did see one male customer who did not have a jacket on (nor did it appear to be on the back of his chair), so I wonder if they are inconsistent in enforcing their jackets required for men policy. When we were seated, we were taken into the back area of the restaurant, which was not at all what I had expected. The fancy club atmosphere gave way to a noisy room with lots of toy trucks and football helmets hanging from the ceiling. I may not have done my homework properly, but I was expecting the restaurant area to be just as elegant and romantic as the bar/lounge area. Food was excellent, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gentlmen's get togetherSerbiansdoitbestDined on 8/12/2014Fantastic NYC landmark, excellent gentlemen's hideoutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Enjoyed the NYC Restaurant Week dinner prix fixe. A great value and a chance to sample something other than the world famous 21 burger. Looking at the standard menu, with judicious ordering, regular dining is NOT out of the question! Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!FleurDined on 8/12/2014Thank you for a most delightful evening to celebrate my son's 30th birthday! The atmosphere, food and wine were perfect, loved the sommelier!Special Features:
- Very classy restaurantdiashaDined on 8/12/2014We went to 21 Club during restaurant week and it did not disappoint. The restaurant is a very classy, old style institution with top notch food and service. Everything we ordered was delicious. We had a carpaccio and grilled calamari for starters and both were superb. The lamb for main coarse was fall of the bone tender. For desert we had a peach tart and ice cream sundae. I did not care for the tart but my husband thoroughly enjoyed it. The ice cream sunday was outstanding. This place is a winner and we would love to come back. Bar service was also great. We ordered two specialty drinks and they were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HareDined on 8/12/2014My experience at 21 Club for lunch was great! The service was superior in every way. Food was delicious and served promptly. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad was perhaps the most interesting and delicious salad I've ever eaten. Salmon was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!gclcDined on 8/12/2014Very traditional, but so wonderfully unique, we loved it! Extra attentive service, good food. Definitely something for a rainy day, winter or dinner since it is not a bright, airy place but it's gorgeous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencebingDined on 8/11/2014All three courses are great! We ordered lamb shank as the main course and it was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food, great atmosphere. Perfect for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Lunch at 21OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Great dinning experience....as usual I was not disappointed Best creme bruleeSpecial Features:
- Not as good as beforefoodnwineDined on 8/9/2014we dined here last year for a 21st birthday gift and it was great. this time we took our 21 year old twin nieces and it was nowhere near as good. one chair was broken. waited over 30minutes just to get a menu - and the restaurant was not busy. I booked the table on line and filled in the special occasion section advising twin nieces 21st birthday so they could prepare a cake or similar as they do for birthdays. we got nothing! and had to tell two waiters it was a special occasion and finally received 2 hats for the girls. menu special of cod was too salty to eat. sad to see the level of service has gone down so much in one year - and sad to say we won't go back againSpecial Features:
- Bucket List Dream FulfilkedBrownieDined on 8/9/2014Have wanted to have dinner at 21 since I first heard of the place years ago. Finally, a birthday gift gave me the opportunity. Not at all disappointed. Fabulous and memorable experience. Particular thanks to Vivianna (server) and Nic (sommelier), who went far above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinner at 21DennisVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful pre theatre dinner at the 21 Club. We sat in the Bar Room at reputably Mick Jagger's or Ivan Boesky's table. The maitre d related to us some of the storied history of the 21 club's speakeasy days. I enjoyed the prix fixe menu which included Murray's roast chicken which was excellent and my wife had the signature Chicken Hash with bechamel and gruyere which also was excellent. Next time I want to try the 21 burger which legend has was so liked by Howard Hughes that he served it on his airline. If you go to 21, don't forget to wear a jacket for men.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDAfromRVADined on 8/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and having dinner before attending a Broadway show. Had great service and food along with the drinks. All the staff were very attentive and responsive to any requests we had.Special Features:
- Buzzing restaurantEnglishpatienceDined on 8/8/2014Great food, awesome cocktails & snacks. Very nice wine list. Loved the seating plan as both my husband and I had our backs to the wall so were able to watch all the interesting characters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so wear a jacketms57Dined on 8/8/2014The requirement for a jacket irks some, but the exceptional food and attentive service make it worthwhile. Pricey, but worth it. Almond sundae to die for, lamb shank tender, falling off the bone and flavorful.Special Features:
- please be respectfoodDined on 8/7/2014we know something on the menu is not for restaurant week. this is the first thing waiter tell me while we are sitting. But we also wants to try something different. When we are asking waiter about a food name on the menu. He is not going to talk about the food or taste but told us that this food is not for restaurant week menu and waiting for our response. When we said we know then he told us this is fish and it taste good without detail.
- Historical Class CuisineMarie5180Dined on 8/7/2014Rare to find with all the foodie hype a place with history to have a classic meal. Classic cuisine does not mean old cuisine. Club 21 prepares innovative dishes but understands classical techniques of preparing its food. We were fortunate to have Nick as our waiter. An elegant gentleman who knew the menu, helped advise each of us - a diverse party of three. Their wine list is a challenge just to choose from it's impressive directory. Not to worry though, their sommalier is there to help both with your wine tastes and price. Impressed with the kind recommendations for wine from this gentleman who never made us feel ignorant about how little we actually know about wine. Club 21 worth visiting during restaurant week and any time.Special Features:
- NiceShirleyhe42Dined on 8/7/2014I ordered the salmon as my main entree. Actually it was very delicious. It was the best salmon dish I've ever had in these seven years. Also, the service was pretty nice too! I felt very comfortable there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ClubDaisyDined on 8/7/2014Food is limited but tastes good, ambience is dark and very noise. Service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014My friends and I went during restaurant week during lunch hours and it was great!. Amazing service, and delicious food! We also got a free tour of the hidden cellar that they had during prohibition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekMOMAmemberVIPDined on 8/7/2014Restaurant Week selections are designated items from the regular menu. Preparation of the items was excellent. Service was friendly and welcoming. We go here each year as part of the special week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/7/2014Love the service, we thought the service was wonderful but the food was not good.