21 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.21club.com/
- Phone: 2125827200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00-2:30pm Monday-Saturday
Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Monday-Friday, 5:30pm-11:00pm Saturday
Upstairs at '21': Dinner: 5:30-10:00pm Tuesday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sylvain Delpique
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: '21' offers 10 beautifully appointed private event rooms, including the legendary Prohibition-era wine cellar, ideal for family celebrations and corporate events. Parties of 10 to 200 for lunch or dinner and up to 450 for a reception will enjoy the Grand Award-winning wine list, splendid American cuisine, and unsurpassed service. In-house professional planning services ensure every detail of your event.
A word from 21 Club
Attentive service, fine American cuisine, a Grand Award-winning wine list and unique, historical surroundings set ‘21’ apart. Once a glamorous speakeasy, today '21' is one of the most celebrated restaurants in New York City. In addition to our two restaurants, the Bar Room and 'Upstairs', this four-story townhouse features ten private party rooms ideal for celebrations, meetings and banquets, including the legendary Prohibition-era Wine Cellar.Continued
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
DRESS CODE: No jeans or sneakers. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
21 Club reviews from OpenTable diners
382 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (252)fit for foodies (130)romantic (124)notable wine list (120)great for lunch (102)neighborhood gem (102)good for groups (79)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (47)late-night find (27)great for brunch (27)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Still greatBusinessLunchVIPDined on 9/16/2014After all these years. Fantastic service, beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Manhattan InstitutionMeeeVIPDined on 9/16/2014We are visiting NYC and I had to take my wife to 21 Club. I worked in NYC for years and there are a few places that you just have to experience to fully appreciate NYC - 21 Club is one of those places.
- Always a treat!MaisieSeattleDined on 9/15/2014The restaurant that I always make sure I go to when in the city. Unfortunately, no more Grand Marnier soufflé. They lost the best part of dinner there, so may have to check first in the future.Special Features:
- "21" - Service in DeclineCPAMotoRacerDined on 9/13/2014Our favorite restaurant is becoming less wonderful. (1) My parents were seated before my wife and I arrived, and no one mentioned it. So my wife and I waited at the bar for ten minutes, thinking my parents hadn't arrived, until my mother wandered out of the dining room to see if we were there. (2) Our waiter, Jonathan, neglected to recite the specials. (3) The waiter at our previous visit, a week earlier, was so bad, I mentioned it on the way out, and at the beginning of this visit I quietly asked the maître d’ hotel to make sure Robert wasn't serving us tonight. He said Robert was off. That was fine, but as we were leaving, Jonathan looked at me with a grin and said, "I'll tell Robert you said hello." That was quite inappropriate.Special Features:
- a once great placemctravtlerDined on 9/13/2014A place past it's prime. Indifferent service and vastly overpriced poor food. A sad commentary on a once great night spot.
- Understated and classyFineDined on 9/13/2014The food, service, and attention to detail are attributes that make dining at "21" an exceptionally enjoyable experience. As a second-time visitor, once again I found the staff very friendly and accommodating. The selection, preparation, and presentation of the food were all outstanding. Standard fare including meat dishes and seafood are presented in elegant fashion without being overly embellished with esoteric elements considered au courant for their effects rather than their additions to the taste or quality of the food. The food is elegant, aesthetically appealing and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014While the service team was friendly and our food delicious, it took 90 minutes for our entrees to arrive. Perhaps a one time thing. Great cocktails, ambience, and food, but seemed understaffed for a Friday night. Good for special occasions. Expect to spend at least $100/person. Come early to get a cocktail in the lounge before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Olde New York ClassicOx4dinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everyone should try 21 at least once! It is an historic, charming establishment with excellent cuisine and even better service. Just walking up to the building is a thrill, with all the old jockey statues outside, and it only gets better from there. The food preparation is superb, with new creations mixed with standards that have been on the menu for decades. This is a treat you should not miss next time you are in NYC!Special Features:
- Just OKtravel2eat2shopDined on 9/4/2014My friend and I made reservations here before Wicked, & we were promptly seated at 6:00. The cocktails were great, the ambiance is definitely unique and fun, but the food was underwhelming. We did not want to be overly stuffed for the show, so we both had the lobster bisque, Caesar salad, & crab cake for our meals....none of which were outstanding. If we could go again, we would probably just split an entree and have a steak or the fish. They brought us petite dessert samples, and they were also very good! Ambiance definitely outweighed the food.Special Features:
- diningfunDined on 9/2/2014Great Food, Great Fun, The Place To Be And Be Seen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mixed ReviewMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/2/2014We arrived on time for our 5:30 reservation, but were asked to wait in the bar. There were no seats in the bar. And, when we saw seats at a table, we were rather rudely told they were reserved for someone else. We were about to leave, annoyed, when they came to seat us at our table at 5:37. We were served promptly. The food was good. The price gouging on the house wine is shameful. Our bill was presented, less than half of what it should be; we told the server (who insisted it was right); we then told the head waiter who corrected the bill, but he didn't even thank us for having the bill corrected. Given that they charged $21 a glass for house wine, maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to have them correct the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULBubblesVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful time, service was exceptional and the food was goodSpecial Features:
- OLDPandoraVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have never understood the allure. Absolutely nothing special. Have been to 21 a few times over the years. They do have a lovely room upstairs that is more formal but be aware that it is very small and isolated. The main room downstairs looks like an attic with all kinds of tin toys hanging from the ceiling. It's a collection of mostly toy airplanes and tractor trailers with the names of companies whose heads are regular patrons.
- Fantasticthanks21Dined on 8/28/2014Dining at 21 was a dream come true. From the moment we arrived until we left we were treated with courtesy and respect. The food was amazing, a dining experience we will remember for a long time to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must dining experience in NY citygrandfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Our second time at this restaurant. One cannot say enough about the impeccable service that you receive here. The cocktails, great food and a wonderful dessert made this visit just as good as the first one.Special Features:
- Club 21 40th AnniversaryTrickyDickyDined on 8/27/2014Went there for our 40th Wedding Anniversary on recommendation from relatives. On our reservation we requested a good table as it was our anniversary. On arriving there the first thing staff did was to congratulate us and give as a good table as well as a glass of champagne. The wine list was extensive and was very, very expensive but we did get a nice bottle of Fleurie for $40. We had a three course meal and we enjoyed all courses and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We LOVE this Restaurant!ArrowmanDined on 8/25/2014We live in California, and visit the Big Apple two or three times a year. We always try to get a reservation at "21" because it is an amazing place for dinner. The "bar" room is a jewel!Special Features:
- Great Food!VizzDined on 8/23/2014I took my visiting uncle here on a Saturday night. He ordered the Pork chops and said they were delicious. I had the Amish chicken which I must say was one of the best chicken entrees I have ever had anywhere. Service was good as well, and the ambiance is different and fun.Special Features:
- Finally!SuzicakesVIPDined on 8/23/2014In all the years of dining out I somehow never went to 21! It was our anniversary and it was lovely that everyone in the restaurant knew. The service was excellent and the ambience was - well, it was 21! I didn't think the food was so wonderful - not bad, just not to rave about. Tiny chopped salad was solid, crab cocktail, too. Chicken hash was nice but the special striped bass wasn't very good. The desserts were pretty good and they made a big fuss for our occasion. I am so glad I finally dined here - it's an experience. Cardinal Dolan was sitting next to us...so much for austerity, pope Francis!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointingScottNVIPDined on 8/21/2014It's not often that I go out for a $400 dinner for two...but when I do I expect a memorable evening that leaves me wanting to return despite the cost. The staff is wonderful. The food is not. We shared a pasta main-course for appetizer because none of the appetizers sounded even interesting. The dish was delicious. The mushroom side and puffed fries are also interesting and worthy. My halibut was so well-done the chef should be ashamed. My lamb chops (halibut replacement) were tasteless and my daughter's veal chop was mediocre with boring accompaniments. The appreciated complimentary desserts presented a delicious Creme Brûlée and an over cooked soufflé. The table next to is returned several items also. There's just no reason for this.Special Features:
- Great time!mookieDined on 8/19/201421 offers a wonderful dining experience. The waitstaff are very friendly and attentive and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Stepping back to Old New YorkSarahB1VIPDined on 8/19/2014Loved the 21 Club. I had been once before during Restaurant Week - it was fine but crowded and noisy. This time was quiet and lovely and was like stepping back in to Old New York. It was the perfect iconic place to take a friend who is leaving New York City for other pastures.Special Features:
- A very memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were celebrating our Anniversary. From the moment I was greeted by the door man, till we walked out the door, I felt everyone there, cared about our dining experience The service was the best. The menu is simple, the choices are not eclectic, but the preparation was perfect. The wine list was more up scale than I am used to, but I was able to find something in my price range that was perfect. Even the gentleman in the men's room was a pleasure, you didn't feel he was just there for tips. At the end of dinner, my server made arrangements for us to take a tour of the wine cellar, which I highly recommend. There is a lot of history here, it's not like just just going to dinner, it's really an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The extras....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We asked if we could take a sneak peak of the wine cellar downstairs and we were giving an amazing tour and learned so much history about the restaurant and building itself. It was truly an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21 Club GroupiesssplotmdDined on 8/16/2014Theatre and the 21 Club a perfect combination on any night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-fix for Pre-theater diningMrFreezeDined on 8/16/2014My recommendation is to come here for a bit of nostalgia. The 21 club offers a classic upscale dining experience. The dining room is a dark and smoky atmosphere. The ceiling in the dining room is lined with toy trucks, cars, and space ships. Did not really care for this as this seemed as a distraction from the experience. If you go make sure that you wear a jacket or you will be provided one. That little note of traditionalism somewhat lost in today's casual work and personal attire is warranted. The pre-fix pre theater menu is a well balanced 3 course meal that provides adequate sustenance without feeling unfulfilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On PointMemphisDinerDined on 8/16/201421 Club was on the short list of "must visit" restaurants in NYC and it does not disappoint. We were treated to great service, delicious food, and cozy ambience. We visited before going to see a play and highly recommend the pre-theater grouping which offered an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We will definitely be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinerdiner1Dined on 8/16/201421 Club offers diners a memorable experience. The service and attention to detail is impeccable. Your are welcomed with enthusiasm and genuine appreciation. You will find dinner entrees delectable, perfectly proportioned and beautifully presented. Charming memorabilia in the Bar Room, combined with vintage leather, linen and fine china, creates a delightful balance of whimsy and elegance. You will leave the 21 Club looking forward to your next visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014simply perfect! Great Food, even during restaurant week!Special Features:
- Great Experience!MershaVIPDined on 8/15/2014The 21 Club, was all I expected to be; from the doorman to the Maitre'D, captain, waiter, bus-person, etc., it was a great dinner experience. I love the location, too. The food was delicious. No rushing, relaxing, in other words, more than just dinner, a culinary experience at the 21 Club. I know we will return. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The roasted lamb on restaurant week was amazing. I really enjoyed the creme brûlée. And the portion was perfect. The server was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than 21 reasons to go to 21!JennieDDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful lunch! Food was specially prepared to create a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun delicious evening....BIrvDined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed our meals, the ambiance--the dining room was lively which we throughly enjoyed, and service was very attentive but not rushing. All made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Iconic 21 for those 70 and older!ChubbybabyDined on 8/14/2014My college roommate and I always go to New York for restaurant week. Our two choices were The Monkey Bar and 21. We decided that everyone should try 21. So we went to the Monkey Bar for drinks amazing-atmosphere. At 21 We were jammed next to the waiter station. The good news is that despite the fact that my roommate and I are in our late 50's we were by far the youngest people in the room by ten years. When they seated an older version of the golden girls next to us I realized this place was past it's prime. I had the braised lamb shank that tasted like mutton,while my friend had the roast chicken. She described it as nursing home food. What a disappointment! We should have stayed at the Monkey Bar!
- An interesting mixThetaSigmaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Upon entering the 21 Club, I felt as if I had walked into a very elegant club, which is exactly what I had expected/hoped for. I did see one male customer who did not have a jacket on (nor did it appear to be on the back of his chair), so I wonder if they are inconsistent in enforcing their jackets required for men policy. When we were seated, we were taken into the back area of the restaurant, which was not at all what I had expected. The fancy club atmosphere gave way to a noisy room with lots of toy trucks and football helmets hanging from the ceiling. I may not have done my homework properly, but I was expecting the restaurant area to be just as elegant and romantic as the bar/lounge area. Food was excellent, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gentlmen's get togetherSerbiansdoitbestDined on 8/12/2014Fantastic NYC landmark, excellent gentlemen's hideoutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Enjoyed the NYC Restaurant Week dinner prix fixe. A great value and a chance to sample something other than the world famous 21 burger. Looking at the standard menu, with judicious ordering, regular dining is NOT out of the question! Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!FleurDined on 8/12/2014Thank you for a most delightful evening to celebrate my son's 30th birthday! The atmosphere, food and wine were perfect, loved the sommelier!Special Features:
- Very classy restaurantdiashaDined on 8/12/2014We went to 21 Club during restaurant week and it did not disappoint. The restaurant is a very classy, old style institution with top notch food and service. Everything we ordered was delicious. We had a carpaccio and grilled calamari for starters and both were superb. The lamb for main coarse was fall of the bone tender. For desert we had a peach tart and ice cream sundae. I did not care for the tart but my husband thoroughly enjoyed it. The ice cream sunday was outstanding. This place is a winner and we would love to come back. Bar service was also great. We ordered two specialty drinks and they were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HareDined on 8/12/2014My experience at 21 Club for lunch was great! The service was superior in every way. Food was delicious and served promptly. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad was perhaps the most interesting and delicious salad I've ever eaten. Salmon was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.