110 East Lime Avenue
Monrovia, CA 91016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.21bistro.com/
- Phone: 6263597500
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Angel Diaz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 21 Bistro
We are expecting you for a delightful dinner with the company of family and friends. Go ahead and take a quick peek at our menu, at 21 Bistro we always offer our customers creative and healthy versions of traditional French dishes in a small comfortable and pleasant restaurant, our contemporary cuisine consists of ample portions accompanied of course by a cup of wine. A key feature in our food preparation is the use of fresh, local produce "If its not fresh, it wont be served". So whenever your near Monrovia, stop by and give us the opportunity to prepare you a delicious meal!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
21 Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Air Conditioning failed!PointmanDined on 8/14/2014On a hot day we arrive there to discover AC broken and our guests already seated and so we couldn't opt out. They had a fan blowing our way but not strong enough to cool us or to keep the constant annoyance of flies from our table. I think they could have taken more initiative to see how we were doing and when they asked if we wanted desert we said, "no the flies were just too annoying" then to hear in response a weak, "sorry" was just not enough! Sad! Food was great! But attendance to make a guest comfortable they did not even remotely have a clue.
- Little French GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014The food and wine was excellent. We each started with a salad, my date had the beet salad and I had the Frisée salad, both were excellent. From there we had the Kobe ranch steak and slow braised short rib, which was so tender. This is a very small place so it would not be good for a big group. Their A/C does not work very well, I don't think it was working at all that night, so be prepared. But go and enjoy, this is worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/22/2014we were the only one eating there that night when we were there.
- Closed?AnniversaryVIPDined on 7/2/2014There was no mention of the restaurant closing between lunch and dinner services. In fact, I made a reservation through Opentable with no glitch. Drove 1/2 hour to find the place closed! Annoying.
- donijoDined on 6/8/2014a very small restaurant with excellent food and attentive service. Unfortunately, their a/c was no match for the heat of the day. Tough to enjoy french cooking while sweating, but we enjoyed the place. No corkage charge is a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the 21 Bistro reviews archive.
- Good for the areaLeslieDined on 5/11/2014This is tucked away and very quaint. Lovely little dining area, small bc the kitchen takes up most of the space. Excited to try a few things I got the potato soup. Yummy. The scallop dinner which was okay bc they were a little lover cooked and I'm not a fan of creams on top of my scallops but it was still good. My husband got the lamb and he thought it needed more seasoning but it was still good. Our guest got the beet salad and enjoyed every bite. All in all good for the area.Special Features:
- 21 Bistro LunchHikerValVIPDined on 5/2/2014The restaurant has a limited menu, but one on which I found appealing options. My dining companion and I both enjoyed the chicken arugula entree salads. Iced teas were filled during meal. However, the warm temp in the small restaurant (?no air conditioning) on the 100 degree temp day, and the lack of friendliness on the part of the server both detracted from the overall experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- small restaurantkittyVIPDined on 3/8/2014very small cozy French restaurant. Outstanding services, reasonable price, average food.
- Perfect French Bistro in Monrovia?LarryMVIPDined on 2/22/2014It was like a quick little trip to France. This gem of a bistro is located on a side street off of the heart of Monrovia's Old Town. Thoughtful authentic menu. Excellent food. Appreciated the experienced professionalism of the mature gentleman who was our server. One doesn't see that too often. We'll be going back and I'll do a more thorough review once we've worked our way through the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre ExperienceGraceVIPDined on 2/15/2014It's a tiny place but that would be okay if it was cozy & comfortable. Tablecloths might make it nicer. Larger wine glasses would enhance the dining experience. The frisee salad & poached egg was fabulous! The cassoulet with duck confit was okay. Duck-delicious. The beans were dry for my taste, needed a little more broth. My boyfriend ordered a pasta dish that he thought was a bit dry. The elderly waiter could use better hygiene. Greasy hair, dirty fingernails & wrinkled clothes. My opinion is critical but I hope it will help the restaurant to evaluate it's situation. I think there is great potential this could be a neighborhood gem. Since there are only a few tables - purchasing larger wine glasses & providing tablecloths would help!
- Cute Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014I've dined here twice beofre and had a much better experience. Approached the door and didn't get a warm greeting from the gentleman upfront nor the hostest. The previous times here, we were served by a nicer older gentleman. Food came out with good timing. Beet salad was delicious as usual. Theyll split it onto 2 plates for you unless specified Scallop appetizer was cooked nicely and loved the mushrooms Short rib was slightly dry, but had a decent flavor Duck confit. Little dry as well, but the white beans were nice and smokey and tender Suggestion- start out with a bigger portion of bread. I noticed every tabled needed a second helping of bread because the initial serving was only 4 small slices.Special Features:
- Cute but too Small & Food was OKthedaywetravelDined on 2/14/2014We had dinner reservations here on Valentine's Day. The only seats they had available were ones smack dab in the middle of the restaurant right in front of the entrance, which were awkward due to the restaurant's very small size. We asked and waited for a table on the patio, which we were given about 15 minutes later. The hostess was nice and accommodating. We ordered the salmon and the scallop plates. I thought the scallop dish was tasty, if only the portion was a tad small for the price. The salmon was sufficient in size but lacked flavor, and was slightly overcooked. Service was slow. This place is cute but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've never had authentic FrenchFromOKCtoCADined on 2/14/2014I've never had authentic French food before and 21Bistro totally sold it for me...from the ambience to the food to the staff! Oh, and please, please finish the night with some bread pudding... it will change your life! LolSpecial Features:
- We had dinner here on Valentine'sDonnaDined on 2/14/2014We had dinner here on Valentine's day and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This place is teeny-tiny, but the food is great. As summer approaches with warmer nights, I'm sure the outside tables will be full. This was our first visit but we will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't count on your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/1/2014Never been to restaurant, knew it was very small so made a reservation for our party of 4. But when we arrived were told there was no table for us. Manager said too cold outside (which only had tables for 2 anyway) and all they had were 4 chairs at the bar -- sitting in a row in a very cramped space. I asked why we couldn't have the empty table for 4 right there and manager said it was for another party. I said "But we have a reservation." He said "I know" and shrugged. This restaurant should not be allowed to use Open Table for reservations. I was able to make the reservation on-line, as if a table were available. They had my cell number (like all other restaurants who call to confirm) but didn't bother to call to say they had no table.
- Hidden Gem!Jewels66Dined on 12/31/2013My husband and I went to this sweet little restaurant in old tow Monrovia on New Year's Eve as we did not want the hassle of old town Pasadena and deal with all of the tourists in town for the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl. Great food, very good service and it really made our evening. Small place, but that made it very special and private. The place was quiet so we could talk, no kids (!!) and just a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best breadpuddingsuperchinkVIPDined on 12/26/2013Special champagne chicken is devine, duck leg good but portion to small for gentleman.Shared breadpudding for dessert, don't miss this, best in L.A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small menu, decent foodOpentableDinerVIPDined on 12/17/2013It's not just the menu that's small, the place is particularly tiny as well. And not in a quaint way, making it not such a great idea for a date. The food is fine, if I lived close I'm sure I'd happily grab a bite here, but there's no need to make a special trip.Special Features:
- This was a cute little restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/14/2013This was a cute little restaurant, that is only meant for a few couples, because of the size, which makes it romantic. The food is very good. Really enjoyed their soup and their cheese plate the most. Afterwards went for a walk around the neighborhood, which is a great after dinner activity for 21 Bistro. I would probably come again, if I was in the area.Special Features:
- Quite a disappointment whenKevinVIPDined on 11/7/2013Quite a disappointment when we came here for the 3rd time (first time on weekday). Chicken salad was our favorite but tis time the chicken was overcooked, very hard, and lack of flavor. I ordered skirt steak (new item) that was also overcooked but also very salty. Crepe used to be very delicious, fruity and fluffy. This time it was too sweet and thin as a paper. My wife thinks may be there was a different chef this time. Very sad to loss this as one of our favorite neightborhood restaurant.
- the food was excellent - beingnewmikVIPDined on 11/2/2013the food was excellent - being from the East Coast and not knowing any restaurants in the area, we are always a tad skeptical of choosing a restaurant on-line...But Trip Adviser did a great job of highlighting it, and we were all (7) very impressed...and a bargain at thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice, small restaurantGaryVIPDined on 11/2/2013A very nice, small restaurant tucked into old town Monoravia. Nothing fancy, but well prepared and well priced food. We had fresh scallops (which had just come into the restaurant) and steak. Both meals used high quality ingredients and were cooked very well.Special Features:
- A Good FindMarieDined on 10/26/2013We each started with soups- potato and french onion - both were very tasty. For entrees, we both had the duck leg and it was delicious! Cooked just right, not dry at all. The creme brulee and espresso for dessert were a perfect way to end the meal. We originally selected this restaurant because they offered a dining coupon and we wanted to try something new. We would definitely go again with or without a coupon! This is a lovely, family owned restaurant, which is truly worth the visit. Don't let it's small size fool you, they are definitely big on flavor and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time here and loved itLuv2grubVIPDined on 9/7/2013I love French food and 21 Bistro did not disappoint. Salad with lardons had a tangy mustard dressing and my entree of scallops was perfect. Dessert of pot of chocolate was amazing..Will be back again very soon.....Special Features:
- Located in an old historicGloCroDined on 9/4/2013Located in an old historic venue, we were placed at a table with our backs to the open door overlooking the San Diego Gas Lamp district. The Brunch offerings were average. There was no real acknowledgement of the occasion given it was for my daughter's birthday. The description made me anticipate what was not the best experience. The parking was horrible $$$$.Special Features:
- Wonderful and charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013Great little place for dinner. The food is very good. Highly recommend the seared scallops and short ribs. The Tarte Tatin for dessert. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really a Hot SpotBandJVIPDined on 8/23/2013A nice little Bistro with only 6 tables. It is possible that the kitchen being in the middle of the dining area is why the place is really warm, hot? It was our servers second day on the job, but did a good job. Our entrees were perfectly cooked, the menu was limited, few french items. The only thing that was not well prepared was the tartin, it came deconstructed, a bowl of apple compote with a square of pastry on the side, not a tart at all, skip it. Bread was good, very few wines by the glass. A little on the expensive sideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit to Bistro 21HikerValVIPDined on 8/23/2013Found the lunch menu somewhat limited and on the pricey side, but the the chicken and goat cheese salad was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood French.MimieDined on 8/16/2013We like service and food a lot. Monrovia does not have many French place, so this is going to be our favorite!Special Features:
- Limited menu and deadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2013Waste of time, rude and we left and found a great place 3 doors down.
- Just a small quaint placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013Just a small quaint place to eat with good food and a darling older man as your server. Very niceSpecial Features:
- 144 [5-/5] PotatoSoup*,ScallopsApp*cocoVIPDined on 7/16/2013144 [5-/5] PotatoSoup*,ScallopsApp*,Steak*,DuckConfit*,Salmon*,BeetSalad,CremeBrule*,Crepes*(,SparklingWater,Muscat)Special Features:
- Food was great and serviceWinWDined on 6/22/2013Food was great and service was excellent. We had a good time!Special Features: