201 Bar and Restaurant
201 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
201 Bar and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.201barandrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126770425x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday breakfast 7am-10:30am
Monday to Friday Lunch 11:30am-2:30pm
Saturday and Sunday brunch 8:30am-2:30pm
Monday to Sunday afternoon menu from 2:30-5:30/6pm
Monday to Thursday dinner 6pm-10:30pm
Friday Saturday dinner 5:30pm-11pm
Sunday dinner 6pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our experienced chefs and accommodating staff serve a New American menu with Italian influences featuring carefully sourced local and seasonal ingredients from the neighboring Union Square Greenmarket paired with exceptional service to ensure a flawless and memorable experience, in an intimate and versatile environment.
- Private Party Facilities: 201 Bar and Restaurant boasts a mezzanine balcony and beautiful wine room for private dining, business meetings, receptions and special events. The mezzanine balcony accommodates up to 10 guests for a private seated dinner, while the wine room can accommodate 50 seated, and up to 80 for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Jennie Weideli 212-750-6361x
- Special Events: Host your next party or corporate event at 201 Bar and Restaurant. 201 boasts a mezzanine balcony and beautiful wine room for private dining, business meetings, receptions and special events. The mezzanine balcony accommodates up to 10 guests for a private seated dinner, while the wine room can accommodate 50 seated, and up to 80 for a standing reception. Our experienced chefs and accommodating staff serve a New American menu with Italian influences featuring carefully sourced local and seasonal ingredients from the neighboring Union Square Greenmarket paired with exceptional service to ensure a flawless and memorable experience, in an intimate and versatile environment.
A word from 201 Bar and Restaurant
Located on the corner of 17th Street and Park Avenue South in the W Union Square, 201 Bar and Restaurant is a neighborhood restaurant that wants you to stay a while. The New American menu features artisan pizzas and flatbreads from a wood stone oven topped with carefully sourced local and seasonal ingredients from the neighboring Union Square Greenmarket. Small plates and entrees with Italian influences include the Chicken under Brick and juicy 201 Pat LaFrieda Burger with house cut fries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
201 Bar and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (11)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- NYC Restaurant Week 2014SatisfiedDined on 8/14/2014My friend and I are here for Restaurant week and the we had a great experience. The server was helpful without being over bearing. The food came out in a timely manner and was fresh. Portions were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeCrln44Dined on 8/12/2014Good food, good service, very friendly. The food didn't take long to come out and was perfectly tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014The waiter came on to ask for more tip ... That was not wise at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialDodgersWillVIPDined on 8/5/2014Mediocre food in loud setting. Staff is friendly enough, but the menu lacks any special items.Special Features:
- BEST OF EVERYTHINGFOODIE1Dined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was the greatest I have been to in decades. Food was superb, as was the service! Portions were good, not the tiny serving portion typical of many RESTAURANT WEEK participating restaurants.Special Features:
- Ok this timeExcellentVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food was pretty good although salt heavy. Service was better last time. All in all I will go back and give them another try. First time was exceptional.Special Features:
- Not made to feel very welcome.FoodiesearchingfordignityDined on 7/21/2014In any good/superior restaurant--even the normal corner diner--the waiter comes around shortly after serving the food and asks: How is everything? This did not happen and our waiter was not to be seen nor were there bus boys walking around who could have summoned him. In fact the food did not arrive cooked to our specifications--they were both more well-done than requested--and had someone asked us we'd have sent our steak and salmon back. The appetizer salad was large, but not particularly tasty but the parmesan risotto balls were quite delicious. The bread was good too. During restaurant week I know the wait staff gets smaller than usual tips so I usually tip at least an extra 5%, but I didn't do that at 201 Bar & Restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food. Great location. YGreatfood2enjoyDined on 7/21/2014The food was very good. The appetizers were huge. The flatbread could feed 2 people. I had the sirloin steak and my wife had the salmon. Excellent choicesI would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit blahOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/17/2014The menu is not very exciting and the food, although fresh and fairly tasty, is not very exciting either. Without Todd English (Olives) this is just a typical hotel restaurant now and Manhattan has much more to offer for those prices.
- NYfoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014We were here when it was "Olives"...liked "Olives" better.. Went for "Sunday Brunch".....wouldn't call it "brunch" because "brunch" usually includes "a drink"...entree and maybe coffee/tea and maybe desert...not here...entree only...nothing else... Might go back for dinner but NOT "brunch"...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!!!!olivesVIPDined on 6/21/2014i work in union square and i just adore OLIVES. the restaurant is always available for seating at lunch. The food is delicious and a great find....not saying much more, can't share olives with anyone.Special Features:
- chrmdomeDined on 6/19/2014Our server also had a large party and it was hard to track him down. Our 5 entrees arrived over the course of 10 minutes, which was very disappointing. However, the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great Service! Mediocre Food.MollyRomeoDined on 6/18/2014Loved the ambiance, drinks and service....but when it got to our dinner...just fell short with dry chicken and "okay" flatbread.Special Features:
- not a good ideahnmngDined on 6/11/2014menu requests were forgotten, a wine substitute was $20 more than the one they ran out of without cost implication identified.Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or money.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/9/2014The title of my review says it all. Horrible staff - right up to the manager.
- Food great. Service, not so much.SocialbutterflyVIPDined on 6/5/2014Our waiter (male with facial hair) could use some training in customer service and promptness. Otherwise, the food was of great quality, fresh and delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced; underservedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/1/2014Great food, though overpriced for the service. Beautiful space, but service is lacking. Our waiter forgot about us between courses, dishes weren't cleared long after we finished, and in general, just unprofessional service.
- Bob1Dined on 5/18/2014Olives has wonderful and interesting food, served in proper portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night DinnerVernie22014Dined on 5/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised at the food, it was superb a bit pricey but we'll worth the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Olives Takes Over South Park Ave.GovernorDined on 5/13/2014After a complete revision Olives comes back better than ever. A menu that fits your every expectation. Lunch flatbreads and delicious entries. Chicken Paillard superb. Have fun and enjoy your lunchSpecial Features:
- The following 996 reviews are from the 201 Bar and Restaurant reviews archive.
- Not BadLisaCDined on 4/23/2014This restaurant would be fine for a group and would probably satisfy everyone's dietary needs. There were several vegetarian options and the waitress was happy to make suggestions. My meal was very good, but my husband was disappointed with the chicken. The drinks were also good. I had the cucumber margarita. The atmosphere is loud with an active bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/23/2014The food was OK - what you'd expect. The service started out slow, then got worse. Our order was lost, and this was only realized after we inquired about our food. The server also seemed very put out when we asked for separate checks (just two of us) and then he calculated the split incorrectly. Of course, the restaurant automatically built an 18% tip into the bill so I guess there was no incentive to provide good service....
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/21/2014The food is pretty reliable, but the lunch menu has become so limited that I don't go there as often as I used to.
- Dinner with friendsPorlamar4Dined on 4/17/2014It has been awhile since we last ate here. We invited friends from out of the country as we had really enjoyed the food and service each time we had eaten here in the past. We were extremely disappointed in the food and service. The server seemed annoyed by our requests. The food was not remarkable. All in all it was a very expensive evening disappointing evening.
- Small, overpriced food and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/17/2014Food was small portions and we left hungry despite having two appetizers and sides. The server was totally disinterested in her job and our table. The food itself wasn't great. The music was loud club music at 5 pm. Not somewhere I'd ever go again.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedHeatherVIPDined on 4/11/2014This was one of the more expensive and disappointing meals I have had in Manhattan in a while. My husband and I shared the roasted chicken dish with "risotto" that was priced at $30. I was already skeptical about the price, and then truly disappointed when the plate showed up with two small pieces of chicken and something more like Israeli couscous served in a hollow, nearly-raw onion. The kale salad was nothing special, and the cheapest glass of white wine was $13. I don't usually write reviews, but we were so disappointed I could not resist in this case.
- Good food; bad roomsethfromdhVIPDined on 4/10/2014I have always loved Todd English restaurants, including Olives. So I was eager to try the new incarnation The food was good top-to-bottom, though the entree choices were limited (5). But the newly-designed room is not good. There is no divider between the bar, the dining room and the kitchen, creating a very noisy, chaotic environment We ordered a decent wine at a typical NY price ($180), and asked that it be decanted. They had no decanter. Absurd. I probably won't go back. Too bad. The good was good.
- Todd English's Olives usedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/10/2014Todd English's Olives used to be a great place. Now, it's just tired. I had a sorry excuse for a salmon fillet (they did manage to serve it very rare as I requested) with shrimp scampi (one shrimp, one). The garlicky spinach was maybe three tablespoons of spinach and a lot of cream and garlic and a full shaker of salt. My friend had the crazy mushroom flatbread, which he said tasted more like cardboard. The whole experience needs to be redone with imagination and freshness.
- Super Spring Dinneraddie21VIPDined on 4/9/2014Whenever we stay at the W, my husband and I have dinner at Olives, which has always served beautifully prepared food. We stayed over on 4/9, and had a wonderful meal-my husband had the whole roasted bronzino( and it was just the right size for one person), and I had a seasonal Spring pasta dish, light and delicate, along with a crisp bottle of white wine. Our server was polite and attentive, and we greatly enjoyed our meal. The bar scene was very lively, and the noise level was a bit high, but everyone was having a great time. And so did we!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!JMYowellDined on 4/6/2014Stayed at the W Union Square for a bachelorette party. Had a hard time making reservations for 10. You have to call since it is over 8 but I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. I tried email and the hostess got right back to me. The food was great! Service was great. I would love to try dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationcesgDined on 4/4/2014Olive's is perfectly located in Union Square. There's parking just around the corner. Lovely area to walk around and shop. Food was delicious. Portions were perfect-not too big, not too small. Staff is very friendly and attentive. I would recommend the Tuna Tartare and Lobstertini as well as one of the Flatbread entrees. The wine we picked wasn't in stock but their suggested replacement was excellent.Special Features:
- Old favorite disappointedNYCdiningVIPDined on 4/2/2014I was thrilled to find out Olives was in my hotel in NYC...i am a huge Todd English fan. service at this restaurant was incredibly slow.......every aspect of the night from drink orders, to meal, to desert was slow......and each time we had to flag down a waiter. The worse part of the evening was that I ordered the sage and butternut pasta but was brought a sausage pasta.....something that I did not discover until I bit into the pasta. As a vegetarian that was a little off-putting. It took quite a few minutes to flag down a waiter and when i did there was no apology, he simply turned around a brought a half order of the correct dish (even though we ordered a full order). I won't return to this location unless service improves.Special Features:
- DisappointedFatmanDined on 4/1/2014This is a very attractive restaurant with problems that relate mostly to food and presentation. Had a lettuce wedge that was great but it was served on an oddly shaped plate that was unstable making it impossible to cut the lettuce wedge without disbursing the food all over the place. My main course was a lamb shank that was also served on another annoying plate that was made for presentation purposes not for eating. The shank as served was buried in the mashed potatoes so that every time I tried to cut off a piece, the shank went sliding all over the plate. To add insult to injury, the lamb was tough and had an odd flavor. I gave up after a fews bites. This place prepares food to be photographed, not eaten. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Todd English Hits the MarkdiniVIPDined on 4/1/2014Love this Mediterranean gem with excellent flatbreads, friendly service, hopping bar and lounge scene, and warm, inviting ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningNewYorkerDined on 3/31/2014Have been going to Olives for many years and have never been disappointed. This atime after a period of about 2 years went back. Place has changed,more vibrant bar scene,food was very good..however considering th eplace wasnt full our service was very slow and lacked enthusiasm. Overall good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, good and very largetnnsnycDined on 3/28/2014Tasty, good and very large portions. Party like atmosphere. Squid & octupus, crab cakes, rabbit and truffle fries are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistenty goodEdwardVIPDined on 3/27/2014Olives is consistently good and remains a great place for lunch or dinner. I really enjoy the cleaner aesthetic to the diningroom after its recently remodel. It opens up the space and allows light to enter the room from the many large windows that overlook 17th Street. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining on Union SquareJillDined on 3/14/2014We had an early dinner before a show. The server was attentive and we were able to dine leisurely but still get to our show on time. I appreciate when you can get a good wine by the glass and do not have to buy a bottle. The rabbit pasta was outstanding. The kale salad was good but needed more flavor. Great ambience. Great location.Special Features:
- A wonderful restaurant!ChezLesSDined on 3/12/2014The food was amazing! Everything we ate was perfectly prepared, delicious, and very imaginative. We are mostly vegetarians and found an amazing feast among side dishes and salads. The beet ravioli beyond compare, Brussels's sprouts, sweet potatoes dish, kale salad, and flat breads all things we are still dreaming about. (but vegetarians need to modify and take out ham and bacon!) One meat eater at our table got the steak which she said was perfect. And the rosemary french fries were awesome. A real celebration in flavor, texture, and color.Special Features:
- It had no tasterocketshipVIPDined on 3/12/2014food was bland, from the appy of tuna to the flatbread of greek items that was extremely sourSpecial Features: