200 Monroe Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frederick.edu/200monroe
- Phone: 3016242768
- Hours of Operation:
Restaurant is open during Spring (April/May) and fall (Oct/Dec)semesters.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Jon Kimbrough, CEC, CCE
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from 200 Monroe
200 Monroe Restaurant provides Frederick Community College's culinary arts students a capstone learning experience to cook and serve the public as they near their completion of there degree. We invite you to come dine with us and indulge in a gourmet meal created and served by FCC's culinary students under the guidance of our Executive Chef and Maitre d' instructors. We think you will find the experience both delightful and affordable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
200 Monroe reviews from OpenTable diners
- A TreatgoodeatsDined on 5/8/2014I took a friend to 200 Monroe for dinner. I had been there before and found it quite good and so I thought I would treat this friend to an excellent meal. We were not disappointed! The salads were served fresh and crisp. The appetizer was absolutely delicious, could have made a meal of the smoked salmon. Delicious!!! My friend had the smoked salmon and said it was well prepared and delicious. I had the pork medallions which were served with potatoes and gravy. Very good!! We shared a crème burley. Delicious. I would recommend 200 Monroe to all. It was a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 200 MonroeMick77Dined on 5/8/2014I have found that 200 Monroe is a great place for either lunch or dinner. The student's do a fantastic job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014We wanted to be in and out within an hour, but were there for almost 2 hours. The food and atmosphere were great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hardworking studentslunchesdonewellDined on 5/8/2014Our restaurant experience was very enjoyable. Having had a reservation at 11, we were seated promptly by 11:05. Our meal was very tasty and well presented. Drinks were cold and hot as needed. 3 course meal with lots of choices. The nice part was to see the prep table being used by the students on the flat screen near the kitchen. Also we got to see the chefs working together. Our only small complaint was the timing. It was a lot of time between ordering and being served. Also there was a lot of time between getting our drinks. We took the time to talk and it made for a nice, long lunch. Coffee came out with no spoon to stir so that was a little blunder, twice. But not a big deal. The server was very cheerful and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Food was exceptional however be prepared to wait to get seated and wait to get service.Special Features:
- It was just fine....faripDined on 5/1/2014The food was not AWFUL, what I had anyway. We had apps, spinach artichoke dip, which was fine, anyone of us could do this, with the mix from Tastefully Simple. . We also had the salmon on baguette crisp, this was good as well. I had the Pork Medallions. They could probably be accused of being a tad salty, but I like salt. My husbands shrimp and grits were runny, not very tasty either. They were the most disappointing. The real highlight of the meal was dessert, chocolate lava and cream brulee. These were nailed! So, in summary, this was just fine, some hits, some miss. It's a school, and it was inexpensive. There were 5 of us and our bill was $112 with all that food, and my husband, bumped the tip up a bit. (they automatically add 15%)
- Dinner for Group of 7happydinerDined on 5/1/2014All in my party enjoyed the unique experience of dining in FCC's Culinary Arts "lab". The menu selections were great and the food gets good marks for presentation and preparation. However, it's clear that they need more experience tending to groups. It seemed only 2-3 dishes come out at a time. That didn't pose a major problem for the appetizer/salad courses; but the time between the first and last entrees served was unacceptable. The first people served had to start eating before the food got cold and they were done with the entree by the time the 7th person was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCC students shinePercysMomDined on 5/1/2014Once a year culinary arts students from FCC select menus, prepare food and practice waitstaff skills. We enjoy going each spring to support the students. The food is very good and the cost very reasonable (about $11 for a 3 course hot lunch; dinner courses are individually priced). The courses are not "home cooking style". They can be better described as "upscale restaurant offerings". Of course, this is a student endeavor, so the service and menu may be uneven at times, but in general it is worth the money.Special Features:
- Great student learning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014The menu was ambitious. The food was very good. The greeter and waitress were friendly and helpful. The 1st course and drinks were served promptly. My group enjoyed ourselves and the price couldn't be beat.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceJimBDined on 4/22/2014The service was excellent as was the food. There were 4 of us for lunch and we had a different choice of food. Everyone's food was great! Looking forward to going back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing opportunityFredneckLarryDined on 4/22/2014This is a unique venue. As the "restaurant" of Frederick Community College's culinary institute, it is only opened for a short period during April and May of each year as a final project for students. The students prepare all the food and take on all the roles associated with a full service restaurant. Having reservations for lunch, we were impressed with the quality and quantity of the food, as well as the level of service that the students provide. While only open for a limited time each year, I strongly recommend that the residents of the Frederick area take advantage of an obvious gem in their neighborhood and see what their investment in Frederick Community College can produce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 200 MonroeMick77Dined on 4/17/2014As always I find 200 Monroe to be a very nice restaurant for the students of FCC. This training facility serves well for both the students, staff and of course the dinning public.Special Features:
- Monroe 200 ReviewLuv2eatDined on 4/17/2014The Thursday reservation at 6:00 was a perfect time to bring my 81 year old my mother. Music appropriate to this setting played quietly in the background. The staff of students and faculty were friendly and very accommodating. The artichoke and spinach dip was amazing. However, I would suggest adding 2-3 more slices of bread to this appetizer. The Monroe salad contained a variation of fresh vegetables with a tasteful dressing. The bread was fresh but I would of added an appropriate seasoning to the accommodating oil. Both the Strip Steak and the Salmon were presented well and were delicious. The apple streusel and chocolate lava cake were amazing. We also enjoyed the sweet tea! I will be back on May 8th for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mixed ReviewMDTriplDDinerDined on 4/17/2014This was our third year at FCC's 200 Monroe and unfortunately it was our least enjoyable experience. This year the student wait staff was extremely nervous and inexperienced: For starters, our order was not placed into the computer on time (resulting in our food arriving 10 minutes late), our waiter didn't know what the soup of the day was. Overall the service from our waiter was fair at best. Aside from an uncooked chicken appetizer (a serious cooking error), for my wife, the food was (as usual) VERY good. . We realize that this is a student /learning environment but this years student staff were not nearly as competent and prepared as in the past. Hopefully next year will be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem for tomorrow's chefsFooddudeDined on 4/17/2014This jewel is run by culinary students in a small space in an industrial neighborhood where they will wow you with great food & service as they hone their skills at very reasonable prices for the quality and portions. My only warning is your GPS will take you to a place about two blocks short of the actual location and even the right place doesn't look it from outside. It's worth the effort to get there. Reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchcouplesDined on 4/15/2014Loved it for lunch last year. I thought it was expensive for dinner and the food wasn't as good. I would return for lunch next year, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Great experience begining to end!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014We were the first patrons on the first day and I was interested to see if they were well-prepared, and now am just sorry that I hadn't gone in past semesters! Food was superb, atmosphere was welcoming, first impression of setting was good, and loved the big screen camera on the prep area. The servers and hostess were all very friendly and also knowledgeable about the menu items. It was a quality product with reasonable pricing and concern for customer satisfaction. I will definitely try to get back before the close, and have called several friends to urge them to go try it, also. Would suggest better advertising, perhaps?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodKanaDined on 5/9/2013The food had a very nice presentation and everything from the soup to the salads , flatbread pizza, entrees and desserts were amazing. There was not one piece of food left on anyone's plate. The atmosphere was quiet enough that you could have conversations with your party. Overall it was a very good dining experience. The service was a little slow. But the staff is training to be chefs not waiters. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Students Get an Aluv2eatDined on 5/9/2013To support FCC students and get a great meal - what a combo! Best steak in years. Friendly vibe. Nice selection and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal and Service!!JimBDined on 5/9/2013My wife and I had reservations for lunch at 200 Monroe. We arrived on time and were seated immediately by a friendly hostess. Our waitress was also very friendly and energetic. The salad and dressing were superb. The main course arrived. My wife had the shrimp and I had the penne pasta. The presentation was wonderful. The food was delicious and the portions were so large that we each had a takeout container for the remainder of the food. The deserts arrived. The chocolate lava cake was to die for. It was hard to believe that this lunch was put together by students from the college. It was an outstanding experience! I would definitely recommend this to everyone. We will return next year when it opens again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunchlunchcouplesDined on 5/9/2013Great time had by group . The food was excellent,the waitresses were very friendly and very efficient. This was our first time and all 8 of us can,t wait to go back next session. This was very good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedRiverratDined on 5/9/2013Servers made us feel "special" - so pleasant and helpful. Dining room pretty and spotless. Food excellent. Would have liked a little more spice to the shrimp rosotta dish. A very nice experience and will return.Special Features:
- It is hard to believe thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2013It is hard to believe that the meals are prepared and served by students. The food is excellent and the service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was terrific andWinelovrDined on 5/7/2013The food was terrific and its great to support the students who are pursuing careers in the industry.Special Features:
- Lunch at the Monroe123133Dined on 5/7/2013Upon arrival notice silverware was incorrectly placed on table..Service was very slow... Requested unsweetened tea and had to request sweetner as was never offered. Took approximately 2 hours for a lunch. Needs some improvement....Would try again with a different group..
- AnnualTreatDebandSandiDined on 5/7/2013My friend and I plan to go to lunch and dinner next year. We just discovered 200 Monroe this year and had lunch. Next year we are planning to do both. Our meal was excellent!Special Features:
- Portion Control Key Element at FCCChiefChefDined on 5/2/2013It was interesting to attend a Frederick CommunityCollege Culinary Arts Program Restaurant Evening. A large video screen allows the diner to see the chefs carefully and methdically handling each individual piece of food to arrange them into an artistically done presentation on the plate. The art of food arranging helps keep the diners mind focused on the design of the placed vegetables rather than on the small quantitiy of food on the plate.....the salmon would have been a half portion or less at the R-Lobster for example. However, we don't go to a restaurant for healthy portions, we go to eat well and pay the high prices expecting to take home enough for lunch the next day. Had to eat a second dinner after I got home.Special Features:
- Future Restaurant OwnersresearchDined on 5/2/2013Food was good, but appeared to have too much salt across the board. Server needed to be more attentive, we received bread and later found out there should have been oil and herbs with it. As a graduation project the students did very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2013The food and the service were good. I realize this was college students doing this and not a professional restaurant, so there are a few things that could be improved, but overall, very nice. I will go back if they do this next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our party of 3 enjoyed a delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2013Our party of 3 enjoyed a delightful dinner. We were quickly seated by our hostess and had to wait about 10 minutes before our server came to see us. We shared 3 appetizers and 3 dinners; all tasty but my tomatoe soup needed salt as did the mediterranean sauce under my pan froed risotto. My hsband's salmon was tasty but he found the jasmine rice under seasoned. Our friend's coq au vin, however, was oversalted and the biscuits in her strawberry shortcake were 'hard'. All things considered, we had a very good dinner for the money, enjoyed chatting with our server and th efloor manager and will look forward to the next time 200 monroe is takign reservations.Special Features:
- The place was very good twoboycerensbergerDined on 4/25/2013The place was very good two days earlier, so we tried it again. Food was good, but the service was very poor. One example--our main courses did not arrive until about an hour after we ordered. The place is staffed by culinary students, and this was a different group from before.
- Not ready for prime timeSD21704Dined on 4/25/2013Not ready for prime time is the only way to describe this "restaurant." Our experience started out a little shaky and progressed to talk of walking out after waiting over 40 minutes with no indication that our order would ever be served. We know this restaurant is staffed by culinary students and expected to see energy. The students definitely lacked energy. About 55 minutes after arriving the appetizer and salad were served at the same time. The smoked salmon bruschetta was tasty but the crostini was too thick and over-all nothing special. We would have liked to try the shrimp spring rolls but by 6:30 p.m. they were no longer available. The Caesar salad portion was rather small but the romaine tasted very fresh and was nice
- I really enjoyed being ableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013I really enjoyed being able to watch the students preparing the meals so close to the dining room. I thought the students were professional from front of the house to back of the house. It was a very calm teaching environment, as well - no shouting, stiff instructions from instructor to student, or student to student - very respectful. I thought there was a variety of dinner entrees, appetizers and desserts. It was also very refreshing to see the FCC President dining there the same evening; I had heard it was his second visit. Thanks for the opportunity to see the students in action. I think it's a great program and wish you were open more often!
- enjoyed being in the fcc learningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013enjoyed being in the fcc learning environment. the students were working hard.Special Features:
- This was our second year atcaseyDined on 4/25/2013This was our second year at the restaurant and we took friends. We were all very pleased with the evening. We know these are students and they are still leaning, and under close observation, but everything was tasty and pleasant, and any small flaws will be corrected. Thank youSpecial Features:
- My friends and I came forgoodeatsDined on 4/25/2013My friends and I came for lunch and were most pleasantly surprised at the quality of service and food. We enjoyed our meals and they were very generous in their serving size. I took part of mine home for dinner. Thanks for a great lunch!!!!Special Features:
- There is not enough room toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/23/2013There is not enough room to describe the experience. From arriving at 7pm to finally completing the meal 2 hours later, it was a hit or miss experience. If I had not gone to this place last year, I would never go back.
- 200 Monroe, " A great experience"Mick77Dined on 4/23/2013I have visited 200 Monroe both for lunch and dinner several times over the past two years and have enjoyed each visit. I hope to make another dinner before your season concludes.
- Culinary students at their bestboycerensbergerDined on 4/23/2013This place is open for a few days at the end of the school term of Frederick Community College's culinary school. It gives the students a chance to show off their work and to operate a proper restaurant. The food is outstanding and very modestly priced. A four-course lunch is just $11. Frederick is a foodie town, and I would gladly have paid twice as much at one of our permanent establishments.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2013This was our first time at 200 Monroe. We were there for lunch and we'll definitely go again and try dinner the next time. The menu was very interesting and well written making selection difficult to decide. The service was good and the servers helped each other out in attending to our table. My friend raved about the waffles and fried chicken, however I was somewhat dissapointed with the shrimp rossoto as it was a bit gummy. The salad was very fresh and we enjoyed both that and the dessert selections.Special Features: