2 Darbar Grill
157 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
2 Darbar Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darbargrillny.com/
- Phone: (212) 751-4600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Simon Gomes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful Private Party room available which accomadates upto 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: mike 2126814500
A word from 2 Darbar Grill
2 Darbar Grill is a superb choice for Indian food with great ambiance and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
2 Darbar Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (7)romantic (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Poor servicemnoormo1VIPDined on 11/14/2014Poor service marred our first visit to this restaurant. We ordered both entrees mild - the chiken tikka was delicious, tender and mildly spiced. The lamb biryani was very spicy and the entree had to be sent back and remade. The remade version was mildly spiced but our server forgot to bring out plain yogurt/raita as he had promised. The mango lassis were thick and delicious. We chose to forego dessert. The server and/or manager even argued with us over crediting Open Table points. We had made a reservation for 3 but one entree was shared, so the restaurant changed our reservation to a party of 2 so as to avoid paying Open Table the extra dollars for a 3d party. It is not often that I don't recommend a restaurant but this is an exception. Overall - a thumbs down experience. Recommended only if one want truly spicy food.
- flavorfulJosephDined on 11/1/2014I dont really like indian food, but this place might change my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysSJR1VIPDined on 10/25/2014I always get the same thing, Shrimp Vindaloo, since I like spicy food and it never disappoints. My friend gets Lamb Karma, it's simply "good Karma" as she says and she's Buddhist so she knows Karma! Tender and not overcooked. The fried Okra appetizer is good to split for 2 and is prepared with tomatoes and onions and is nice before the main course. Admittedly, the restaurant isn't much to look at on the inside but I'd rather have better food and sacrifice on the ambiance. The location on E 46th St is a little nicer on the inside, if that's important to you, but the food is the same. Service is always attentive and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No redeeming qualitypartyof5VIPDined on 10/23/2014There was confusion about my reservation and someone other than the host finally seated us. We ordered a mild mulligatawny soup for my daughter and it came out very spicy. No apologies or taking it back for another. There was a strong odor perhaps of the grill that permeated the air, which made the atmosphere unpleasant. The food was not anything special and in fact the shrimp vindaloo was unusually red in color and the legs of the shrimp were still on the body. The service was just okay. We hardly ate any of our food and declined having it packed up to take home. I never do that. Finally, when they gave us the bill, they already included gratuity for a party of 5. We are never going back there again.
- Good Indian foodJenniferVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dependably high quality food. The service was a bit rushed though-the server asked us twice if he could clear our plates even though we were still eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable midtown Indian FoodfoodiekarmaVIPDined on 10/10/2014This place is usually a quiet dining experience, but the din from a table of foreigners was nearly unbearable, and I had to complain to the management. Also the signature eggplant dish seemed not as good as I remember, masked over with too much heat. The food is usually consistent, and the service attentive.
- Good quick serviceotrsDined on 9/25/2014Prompt service, good food... menu selection provided some good variety. More heart-healthy options may be helpful.Special Features:
- Great date placeCRazeIrishDined on 8/27/2014I love this place took my wife there she never had Indian food before she loved it as did I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, excellent valueJudyJudyVIPDined on 8/20/2014I have gone here in the past for their wonderful buffet brunch. I have also gone here several times for dinner. I recently had lamb chops in a tomato like sauce and garlic nan. Both were excellent. My friend had rice biriyani. Everything here is excellent.Special Features:
- Concierge OpinionNoquisiVIPDined on 8/15/2014Love the naan bread! I could have ordered some to go, but didn't. Had the chicken tikki with the basamati rice. It was delicious! The staff seemed a bit somber but were nice. The ambiance was quiet and nice (we had an early dinner around 5 or 6pm). I was able to hold a conversation without an excess of surrounding noise. I definitely plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comida indiana de qualidadejj2jDined on 8/10/2014No Darbar o serviço é o destaque, desde o primeiro atendimento até a saída todos foram muito simpáticos, e, além disso, extremamente atenciosos e dispostos a esclarecer a respeito de ingredientes dos pratos do cardápio, facilitando a escolha. A comida é muito bem elaborada e saborosa. O arroz com limão é delicioso, próprio para acompanhar qualquer dos pratos com camarão. O único ponto baixo fica para o expresso, que mais se assemelha a café coado, e, portanto, não vale a pena pedir. De resto nossa experiência global no Darbar foi excelente. Em outra oportunidade pensamos retornar a este agradável restaurante.Special Features:
- Amazing ServiceRoodalDined on 8/4/2014Food was great but the was better! Tandoori Chicken and Naan is a must. The chicken and spinach soup had a luxurious velvet texture and tasted heavenly! Will be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveVIPDined on 7/25/2014Very good food. I recommend this place for dinner.
- The following 176 reviews are from the 2 Darbar Grill reviews archive.
- Big surpriseDoubleffsVIPDined on 5/7/2014Chose this restaurant because it was near the theater. When we walked in, it was empty and no one came to the table to take a drink order. The martins we're fabulous and so was the meal we ordered. Chicken tikka, which is usually overlooked, was perfectly spiced and juicy and ditto for the shrimp biryani. The tandoori vegetables we're wonderful too. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent food and lots of it!xylia1225Dined on 4/19/2014All of the food was absolutely delicious, with nice big portions!Special Features:
- OK for the priceCharlesVIPDined on 4/4/2014The food was alright, but clearly not noteworthy. Prices were reasonable but there are other dinner choices for my money.
- Second Rate, at BestGuidoVIPDined on 3/28/2014While I haven't been to Darbar for awhile because I found better Indian restaurants in NY, eating at 2 Darbar Grill convinced me I made the right choice. The food (excepting a very tasty scallops started) was so tired and tasteless, as if fresh spices and herbs weren't the core of good Indian food. The service wasn't much better and the decor at the same level, so I see no reason to bother when NY has so many better options.
- Decent Indian food, great serviceSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 3/21/2014The attentive service far outstripped the food, which was okay but not great. The goat was tougher than it needed to be (I've had goat before), with small parts of bones left in, suggesting a too-fast job with a cleaver. The chicken tikka masala was good, but no better than can be had for half the price on E. 6th St.
- Delicious Indian FoodDeeliteDined on 3/11/2014I had my Dinner Club meet for dinner at 2 Darbar Grill. My group grw from 5 originally to last minute 7 people. 2 Darbar were wonderful in accommodating us and sat us at a bigger table in the back under a beautiful stain glass skylight. The restaurant is very lovely and the staff was great. Even better was the food. Everyone loved what they ordered and our club had a great night out.Special Features:
- Great, flavorful Indian foodEvanDined on 3/10/2014The food was flavorful, the service very attentive. If you like Indian food, and like it with the "right" levels of aroma, spice, heat - Darbar Grill is a great choice. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner after workloverestaurantsVIPDined on 3/4/2014Rich, well-seasoned Mawligattany, tasty accompaniment relishes for samosas, elegant Tandoori salmon, delicious vegetable korma. My friend and I are fish eating vegetarians and we had a wonderful meal here. The lights are low and the atmosphere is calm. A perfect dinner after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sauces for the papadamsEarlyDined on 2/22/2014I enjoy Indian food very much and as it was my first time, I had the sampling menu - $38 for dinner. It was correct but not special in any way. The breads (papadams and naan) and the sauces that came with the papadams were the highlights. The restaurant itself felt tired and warn. It appeared that the team was going through the motions. The soup was oily, the samosa's bland. The mango mousse was so-so. The main, salmon tikka, was ok but again not up to the billing. The restaurant was inconsistent with the ratings given on this web site. For me this is the first time that has happened.
- Thumbs up on food, down on musicSippingsisterVIPDined on 2/15/2014Fun cocktails, great service, very good mulligatawny soup, curries and fish dishes. Yes, I would definitely go again. Only downside -- the muzak. There was really cheezy elevator music coming over the speakers. (Herb Alpert's "This guy's in love with you" sticks in my mind) but like elevator music everywhere - eventually you can tune it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceSherryDined on 1/25/2014The service and food were superior. Our server was very helpful with recommendations and other waitstaff were readily available to bring drinks and clear plates. Some of the best Indian food I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent serviceBrianVIPDined on 1/14/2014I was in NYC for work and looked for a restaurant close to my hotel. Darbar 2 had good reviews and so I decided to give them a try. I was really impressed by the quality and quantity of the food... it was a great value but also very good. I ordered one of the dishes that indicated (by the icon of three red peppers) it was very spicy. I have a high tolerance for spice, but the dish was very spicy for me. I liked the place so much that I came back the next day for the lunch buffet. Everything was really good and very flavorful. I also liked the fact that the waiters were very attentive. I had at least 3 different people filling my water glass and checking in on me. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very decent mealmjr2nycDined on 1/13/2014Decent Indian food -- not spectacular, but prices were reasonable. Almost too many guys waiting on us, over-pouring wine, it was a bit confusing. But we had a good meal (4 of us) and didn't have to shout at each other. I will go again.Special Features:
- A very Nice expérienceMarielucDined on 12/31/2013We choose this restaurant because it was in the 10th best indian. It was absolutely a good choice! The only thing, we were sitting in front of the bar...next time we Will sit in the back!! We had the PASSAGE TO INDIAN, a 4 plates with a lot of choice. We had lamb, chicken marsala, Wow!!!!!! Don't hesitate and go to that place to have à beautiful expérience!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great IndianHappycoupleVIPDined on 12/27/2013The food was pretty good but the ambiance was lacking. The service was okay
- Indian hospitalityCranberriesVIPDined on 12/26/2013A warm and inviting atmosphere, attentive wait staff, and beautifully prepared and presented food. Every dish was delicious.
- The staff was friendly andluv2eatDined on 12/18/2013The staff was friendly and accomodating. We will comeback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was the best Indian restaurantforfoodVIPDined on 12/6/2013This was the best Indian restaurant I ever tried. I was amazed with the service. The way staff serves you is unbelievable. They bring the hot service plates and wipe them before they put them in front of you (which should be a normal practice in every restaurant). Totally a place to try. Can not wait to go back.Special Features:
- Indian at it's bestBuddyVIPDined on 12/3/2013This meal was absolutely delicious. Everything we ordered ranked among the best Indian dishes we've eaten. We had chicken and lamb and the Garlic Nann was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!BethVIPDined on 11/13/2013Great Indian food, thoughtfully prepared and beautifully served. For something off the beaten track, this restaurant is a find. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Innovatively Delicious!FoodiefusionistaVIPDined on 11/7/2013I have been coming for the last 2 years: Darbar Grill is consistently fresh and delicious with professional service. Each time I try a new vegetarian dish and it continues to add to my repertoire of Indian food. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- oknanyDined on 10/31/2013Overall experience was good. Nice decoration. Wonderful service. Food was not very impressive, but still good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good indian foodjpfitVIPDined on 10/20/2013overall quite good, the place is small but food is well prepared with a touch of creativity which is not usual in indian restaurants. Service is ok, waiters are nice and kind but kind of slow. good option if you like indianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great servicefnankivellDined on 10/19/2013Food was delicious and authentic, staff was welcoming and service was great...Special Features:
- Dabar GrillBLS1Dined on 10/18/2013Fine restaurant for a very good meal with a friend when you want to talk and be treated well by staff.Special Features:
- Well above average!Ray884VIPDined on 10/9/2013Not your typical Indian place. Excellent food, fresh flavors, well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and Deliciouslove2vegDined on 10/4/2013My parents were in town visiting this weekend and Darbar was the perfect fix for their first night here: conveniently close to their hotel, delicious food, and quiet ambience--all necessities after a long day of traveling. Our waiter, Harsh, was very attentive. I was the only vegan out of the group and Harsh made sure not to forget. As our food was served he realized that the rice had dairy in it and immediately offered whole wheat roti as a supplement. Harsh was able to make great recommendations based on what each of us said we were in the mood for. If you're looking for a good, low-key Indian dinner with friends or family Darbar Grill is a good option in Midtown East.I would recommend this to a friend.