2 Darbar Grill
157 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
2 Darbar Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darbargrillny.com/
- Phone: (212) 751-4600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Simon Gomes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful Private Party room available which accomadates upto 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: mike 2126814500
A word from 2 Darbar Grill
2 Darbar Grill is a superb choice for Indian food with great ambiance and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
2 Darbar Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (8)romantic (6)late-night find (5)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Quiet and Deliciouslove2vegDined on 10/4/2013My parents were in town visiting this weekend and Darbar was the perfect fix for their first night here: conveniently close to their hotel, delicious food, and quiet ambience--all necessities after a long day of traveling. Our waiter, Harsh, was very attentive. I was the only vegan out of the group and Harsh made sure not to forget. As our food was served he realized that the rice had dairy in it and immediately offered whole wheat roti as a supplement. Harsh was able to make great recommendations based on what each of us said we were in the mood for. If you're looking for a good, low-key Indian dinner with friends or family Darbar Grill is a good option in Midtown East.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darbar does itAfoodieDined on 9/28/2013We enjoyed this restaurant very much.the food was wonderful. It started out a bit rocky,they had a very large table with noisy children, so they weren't seating in the back of the restaurant, they were very apologetic for it. As soon as that group left the atmosphere was lovely .mixed drinks are not their strong suite, I'd stick to straight or wines. Again they made it right. We met the chef and he sent us a special desert. The scallop appetizer was wonderful, the lamb dises were delicious,the staff was very nice. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food I've hadGigiVIPDined on 9/20/2013I took my husband for his birthday weekend to NYC and found this restaurant on Open Table. My expectations were exceeded by both the food and service. Everything that we got was delicious. The staff were attentive and nice. The price was also very affordable for the excellent food that you got. I will tell everyone I know who likes Indian food about this place when they visit NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian CuisineFerchapDined on 9/7/2013We ordered the Lamb, Chicken, Salmon to share as entree and they were all excellent. For appetizer we shared the shrimp and the chicken kebab and both were fantastic. I'ld definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an amazing timeJoeyRocsDined on 9/7/2013My boyfriend and I came here for my birthday On a Saturday.We made reservations and we were seated immediately.The ambiance was very welcoming and romantic.Dim lightening, candles on the table kind of scene.I ordered curry scallops and my boyfriend ordered mango chicken.I'm not a huge fan of curry because it's spicy but I figured I'd give it a try. The curry wasn't overly spicy, just right.The rice it came with was so soft and delicious.My boyfriend's mango chicken was divine. It wasn't overly cooked it was tender and flavorful.Afterwards, they gave us complimentary dessert, idk what it was but it wasn't too pleasant.The service was excellent.They were not overbearing nor did he leave us to flag him down. I would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- pleasant findMichaelVIPDined on 8/17/2013I have eaten at 1 Darbar several times and noted that it is getting a little raggedy (time for a remodelling job). For some reason, I never discovered the 2 Darbar site (on the East side). The decor is muted and elegant. The food is quite good for mid-level (price) Indian fare. The waiters can use a course in friendliness, though. I don't know if it was a language or cultural thing, but the all-male contingent was stolid, almost brusque. The female hostess could not have been more warm and welcoming. I would return to try other foods.
- 2 Darbar GrillLion26KingVIPDined on 8/17/2013One of the best Indian restaurants I've ever been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food..good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2013Decided to check this out for restaurant week. Great spot for a quiet romantic evening. Food was delicious and obviously prepared fresh. Wait staff was efficient without being overwhelming. Good experience...will be back.Special Features:
- Convenient location for us,SherylVIPDined on 7/16/2013Convenient location for us, and the meal was OK (but not great). Lamb saag was not very flavorful, and my friend ordered shrimp vindaloo but got chicken vindaloo. A basket of flat bread came with the meal - but no other goodies that you often get in Indian restaurants (chutney, any other side dishes, etc). It was ok, but I will not rush back.
- Great service and awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2013The staff were wonderful with suggesting items to try. The food was beyond expectations. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, service not so much...TrainwreckDined on 5/26/2013The food is quite good, it tastes quite authentic and their is a lot of choices on the menu, the spices are a wide variety and the portions are decent for dinner. For lunch they have a buffet which is quite reasonable with the choices they have and the price is well worth it. The waiting staff however are not really observant towards you or your table, they forget your orders, don't check on your beverage or bother to refill it. Bottom line, good for terrible service.Special Features:
- GoodDanielVIPDined on 5/7/2013The portions wer a little on the small side, but flavors were pretty good. There is better and worse Indian out there. Chicken samosas were good, but dry and bland without the sauces. The Chicken Tikka Masala suggested as a house specialty and was fine, but we asked for Med spice which wasnt spicy. I've had better. The tandoori chicken was pretty good...on par with other places. All in all, servicable food. Doubt I will fee the need to return.
- Always great Indian CuisineSJR1VIPDined on 5/4/2013I usually go to 1 Darbar but thought I would try this location since it is closer to where I live. You can always expect great service and excellent Indian cuisine when you go here. Prices are reasonable and if you like spicy food, try the Shrimp Vindaloo. Neither location is ever extremely busy so you aren't rushed. The restaurants won't dazzle you on the inside but I prefer they invest in the food instead of a glitizy environment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is great! My onlyidiosyncratic28VIPDined on 4/26/2013Everything is great! My only disappointment is when I asked the waiter to replace rice with something else since I dont eat rice and he told me they dont do "that". I thought it was a little inflexible but overall, good food, good service and good price.Special Features:
- First time at this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013First time at this restaurant. My wife and I had the chicken curry (which was DELICIOUS!) The server/s that helped us through our dinning experience were fantastic! Cordial, knlowledgeable and caring about our needs. Great experience!!Special Features:
- If you want some great IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/16/2013If you want some great Indian food - here's the place. A wide-ranging menu with some interesting chat offerings. Lots of vegetable dishes. Service is attentive and prompt. One of the better NYC Indian places.
- food was great, would go back.IluvfoodVIPDined on 4/14/2013food was great, would go back. wished lived in the city so could order take-out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable meal and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2013very enjoyable meal and very reasonable. in addition to having all the staples of every indian restaurant, this place had some unique dishes which i enjoyed very much. great service. will be coming back
- Excellent food and service.JohhnyhVIPDined on 4/6/2013Excellent food and service. Wait staff very helpful for first timers. Quiet on Saturday night at 500.Special Features:
- I wasn't overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2013I wasn't overly impressed with the food, service or the wine list. I was hoping for something to really "wow" me, but it was just as good as any other Indian food there is out there.
- Good Indian restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/2013Good Indian restaurant with a selection of the standard northern and southern dishes.Special Features:
- The food was surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013The food was surprisingly good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2013I was looking for a restaurant on open table and so glad that I picked garbar. Came here with my friend and her boyfriend visiting me from Paris. All three of us were absolutely happy with the food, service and ambience. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly and made us feel very comfortable. We sat there for almost 3 hours chatting and they kept coming with the water and at the end even gave us a free desert! Very nice gesture. Really liked the food and the service would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Went on Valentines Day. BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Went on Valentines Day. Better than average indian food though deserts are overly sweet. Had the lava cake and I think mousse. Misleading entrance, much nicer on the inside. Limited wine list pairs great with the food. People and service very good.Special Features:
- Always worth to come backBrazilianatheartVIPDined on 2/4/2013Always worth to come back to this precious place- Great food and atmosphere!Special Features:
- Found this place on OpenTable,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/2/2013Found this place on OpenTable, not knowing anything about it. So glad I gave it a try! Our drinks and our food especially were delicious. Waiter was relatively attentive, although at the end of the meal was difficult to find him. The place was relatively empty at 7:30 on a Saturday night, which at first did not seem like a good sign. However, will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Samosa was über spicy. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Samosa was über spicy. The dough was bland, and not flaky. All else very good. Had poori for the first time and loved it. Attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- The food and drinks are delicious.SouthslopeVIPDined on 1/15/2013The food and drinks are delicious. They make a wonderful mango martini and I love the Bhajia and Goannas fish curry. They will accommodate whatever degree of slickness one prefers.Special Features:
- Dependable Indian fare inMidtownEatsVIPDined on 12/29/2012Dependable Indian fare in a comfortable setting. The portion sizes for dinner are on the small side, but everything is tasty, the servers are very accommodating, and the dining room is simple but pleasant. Quiet enough for adult conversation, but the restaurant attracts many families with kids, so it's definitely not hushed. Safe choice for a neighborhood lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- We arrived early, were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2012We arrived early, were seated promptly. Attentive staff and good food!
- Enjoy Indian cuisine2dineisdevineVIPDined on 12/22/2012Great food and service, very nice atmosphere, main dining area has a high glass vaulted ceiling.Special Features:
- Easy midtown location. AppetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/27/2012Easy midtown location. Appetizers were fantastic, mains were good not great
- Highlight was the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/17/2012Highlight was the quality and attentive service. Food was just ok because was a bit salty. For the price it was decent value but not great.
- Casual and comfortable. OurGeofferwokVIPDined on 11/2/2012Casual and comfortable. Our dishes were well prepared and spicy but basically standard Indian fare.
- Did Not DisappointMiscHumanDined on 10/17/2012I went to Darbar Grill at the urging of a friend who raved about the place. The service was smooth and competent; the food was superlative. I am not expert in Indian cuisine, but we were both thrilled with the quality and healthy (but not absurdly large) portions of our meals. She pointed out to me several things that distinguished Darbar's food from other, inferior Indian restaurants, but it all added up to Mmmmmm.Special Features:
- Mediocre food. There is aKathyDined on 10/4/2012Mediocre food. There is a lot better Indian food out there.
- I was pleasantly surprised-weOlgaVIPDined on 10/3/2012I was pleasantly surprised-we picked this restaurant on Opentable not knowing anything about it, but the Indian food was top quality for the city. It was very quiet, so perfect for a conversation, and we liked the private setting of the tables in the back.Special Features:
- Delicious Indian food!! WillSpenjulDined on 9/28/2012Delicious Indian food!! Will definitely come here again!Special Features:
- The tables weren't crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2012The tables weren't cramped together like you get alot in NYC , that I truely appreciated .The food was very tasty, the staff was attentive I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2012We tried a wide variety of items from the menu at Darbar and found all of them to be very good to outstanding. Interesing high quality food. Service was very good and quite cordial.Special Features: