1920 Tavern at Opulent
948 Canton St
Roswell, GA 30075Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1920 Tavern at Opulent
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1920tavern.fhfoodtradinggroup.com/
- Phone: (770) 998-3114
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Robert McDonough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 1920 Tavern at Opulent
1920 Tavern at Opulent is a global-inspired kitchen serving classic favorites with a modern twist. Although deeply rooted in the style of the great American restaurant, 1920 Tavern at Opulent is a celebration of the present featuring contemporary interpretations of market-driven and locally sourced ingredients. 1920 Tavern at Opulent focuses on the heritage of American dishes with an emphasis on global influences, styles and forms. The beautiful and meticulous interior design, inspired by the sophistication of the Roaring Twenties and speakeasy style, presents globe lighting and walls lined with antique mirrors and crystal accents. Dark brown woods and leather banquettes contrast diamond-shaped white tiles beneath beautifully suspended light pendants hung above the bar and dining areas. 1920 Tavern at Opulent’s refined and approachable cuisine showcases an array of fresh greens, savory starters, market-fresh sea fare and Masami American Kobe beef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
1920 Tavern at Opulent - Best Restaurants in Roswell ›
1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (16)hot spot (14)notable wine list (11)special occasion (9)great for lunch (8)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- good food and service but....DitaDined on 11/21/2014very noisy and crowded. We could barely converse over the raucous crowd.Special Features:
- 1920 TavernRoswellDined on 11/15/2014Servers are slow, in experienced and slightly unprofessional. They don't understand food preparations, are not familiar with wines on menu - and offer little insight. Slow service, high noise level. Menu options have changed from when restaurant was INC - higher price points - but the restaurant has not evolved from being a theme restaurant to being a theme inspired dining experience. Wine list is abysmal and price points are highly inflated for the cheap labels offered.
- Food4Thoughtfood4thoughtDined on 11/9/2014We had a delightful dinner at Tavern 1920. We read the reviews on OpenTable and decided to give it a try. We ordered drinks and tried the Eggplant Fries as our appetizer.They were good but would have been better a little crisper. Each of us ordered a different entree and each of us was pleased. The servings were generous, the fish fresh and the vegetables cooked just right. The shrimp and grits were tasty with a large serving of huge shrimp. The fire-grilled trout was moist with two large fillets in a tasty champagne sauce. Our server was helpful in answering all our questions and was very attentive to any requests. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our service was Alex and she was absolutely a delight. We will definitely be back and will request her as our server again. She was cute as pie, polite, and very knowledgeable about the overall restaurant and all items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014The food was excellent. My wife and I both had fish dishes (red drum and mahi mahi) that were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantFoodieShmoodieDined on 10/24/2014Love this restaurant!! One of my favs in historic Roswell. I have never been disappointed in a meal at this place and have dined here four or five times. Compliments to the chef all around! Great ambiance, and great people watching if you sit outside. Usually the service is pretty good... with the exception of the last time we went. Our server came across very young and inexperienced, to the point where she was struggling to get the words out of her mouth. I felt so uncomfortable listening to her. Plus we had problems getting things we had ordered. I wish she had had more training to build up her confidence and skills before they sent her out on the floor by herself. Hopefully this was an isolated incident. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Very Good SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014There were 5 of us and we each ordered something different and we all loved our dishes. Shrimp, salmon, sea bass etc. were all prepared just right and came with great flavoring. Service was excellent. Garlic string beans were great but garlic spinach was way too heavy. But it's rare when we all love our dishes and we did!Special Features:
- Don't do lunchDisappointedVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had reservations for lunch. The restaurant is located in Historic Roswell downtown. Parking is atrocious!!!!The restaurant has no parking but there is a lot behind another restaurant they recommend you use that is small & crowded. I had to drive around 3 times to find a spot to park at lunchtime. Waste of my time. Upon arrival in the restaurant the wait staff was friendly and very nice. The turkey & Gouda on ciabatta bread was great & the fries were superb.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingEXCELLENTDined on 10/13/2014They are very attentive and great for groups and special occasions. The meatballs are excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedwayxxVIPDined on 10/2/2014Met friends here for lunch. Eggplant fries were very good. Had the cioppino(sp). was good. Wife has the trout, she said it was excellent. Has very good waiter.Special Features:
- Great foodNewsDined on 9/28/2014They were out of the brick pressed meat which is my favorite so we selected trout and Mahi Mahi. Both were excellent. Nice presentation. Eggplant strips were excellent as well. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Great Evening at 1920BillDined on 9/27/2014We had theater tickets for ourselves and another couple for 8:00 PM and were looking for a restaurant close by that would take reservations. 1920 was the only place in Roswell that took reservations and had a 6:00 PM slot open. We were a little concerned as to why but made the reservation anyway. We found that they wait later to take reservations for people just like us. It tuned out to be a great evening. The service was great, the food was fantastic and they got us out in time to make the play. All four of us would recommend this restaurant highly for a great meal and time in Roswell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casual diningMselfleaVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is a place to go to for a quick, convenient, pleasant meal. I have been to several other restaurants in the Roswell area but never here. Staff was friendly and the food was good.Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014I drove in horrible traffic for more than an hour to meet friends at this restaurant. 10 minutes before my reservation I received a phone call saying that the restaurant was closing for the evening with no explanation whatsoever.
- 1920 TavernBeautiesDined on 9/15/2014We shared appetizers and salads and had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKWilson1911VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was very tasty. Service was OK. Waitress was friendly although made an order error. Nothing appeared as clean as I'd like: wineglass, plate, table. So just OK
- Interesting ambiencejodybpVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great old world style restaurant with globe lights, parquet tile floor. Great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- a little disappointedDebZDined on 9/12/2014We've had great appetizers here before, but our meal recently was disappointing. The oysters were awesome, but it went downhill from there. My husband got the Cioppino - advertised with shrimp, mussels, clams and calamari. It was tasty, but arrived with only shrimp and fish. I ordered swordfish with roasted potatoes. The swordfish was overcooked the potatoes were undercooked - no brown roasted edges at all. The service was good - the chef came out to discuss what was wrong with the dishes. He apologized and delivered a separate bowl of calamari to my husband (we basically ate separately) and redid my fish, which was cooked better the second time, but they then smothered it with beurre blanc. Potatoes were still more like...boiled.
- Good food, wine slighlty expensiveRonRDined on 9/5/2014The food was very good. The crab appetizer and Eggplant Fries were tasty. We had a party of 4 and all ordered different fish. The servings were done very well, not over cooked and fish was very flakey. The only negative was the wine was a little over priced, even when compared to normal restaurant mark-ups. The service was very, very good. Waitress was knowledgeable with recommendations for food and wine. Had reservations for a Friday night and was seated with no wait. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- great late lunchMikeWDined on 9/1/2014Lunch entree was delicious as was the dessert. Not overly packed as it is at night. Happy customers at lunch. Relaxing leisurely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyARMalDined on 8/31/2014As I'm allergic to all seafood, menu did not have much to offer. Would like to go back but would like more non seafood/fish choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at 1920PepperDined on 8/30/2014It was okay. NOise level was not just loud but defining. I enjoyed the food. but they opened the doors to the outside and it became quite hot and flys were coming in not nice. Our waitress was very nice and the rest of the staff very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tippertipper14Dined on 8/29/2014This was a good restaurant. Nice menu and the food was good. On the Roswell "food" block its location is great with parking close.Special Features:
- Freshest seafood, outstanding mealkateDined on 8/16/2014This is our fourth visit to 1920 and every time has been outstanding. The chef came around to see how dinner was and recommended dessert. We had 4 different fish dishes, oyster appetizer and gelato dessert. Every single morsel, outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightRoswellVFLDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I picked 1920 for a last minute date night. The place was energetic but still good for conversation. The shrimp and grits were fantastic and the NY strip was perfectly medium rare. We were seated in a big booth with plenty of room and were served well by the wait staff. We'll make a return trip.Special Features:
- First Timernot4usDined on 8/9/2014This was the first time we ever went to The 1920 Tavern and we had an awesome experience. I had the Strip Steak and it was great. Cooked just right, juicy, melt in your mouth kind of steak. My fiance had the crab cakes. They were cooked the way crab cakes should be. A little crispy on the outside, cooked perfectly on the inside. The chef came out to meet us and our server Taylor was as professional as you can be. Very friendly, like we were old friends type of friendly, and knew the menu inside out. We drove from Acworth to try the place out, and it was definitely worth it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So Good This timejoe1Dined on 8/9/2014This was our third visit and it was not a charm. It was very busy and our entrees were delayed. One of the Fish Entrees was actually hard rather than flaky flaky. The Crab cakes were substantial but was lacking in taste. One order of the pound cake/cheese cake was replaced with the strawberry tiramiseu. It was not a particularly good experience. The weight staff was friendly and tried their best but it appeared they were overwhelmed by the crowd.
- Huge DisappointmentNoSparksDined on 8/3/2014I booked a 7:30 pm reservation for two on a Sunday night. First time dining here, so expectations were high. Huge disappointment on all levels - ambience, food and service. There is no ambience. We were seated in the back, surrounded by three large parties all with young children. I love kids, but not when I'm looking for a quiet dinner for two. Our server seemed like an actor...everything seemed scripted. Unfortunately, he didn't read the script. He was inattentive, and got both our orders wrong. The food was OK, after three attempts to get it right, but I expected so much better for the price. No offer to comp anything or even apologize. $100 wasted. Never going back.
- The following 145 reviews are from the 1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews archive.
- 2nd time we've been to your rstrant30minutesNorthDined on 7/27/2014What a wonderful find in Roswell. The steak, seafood and desserts were wonderful. My husband took me here for my 53rd Birthday and he ordered the steak and I ordered the mahi mahi. It was wonderful. We came back 2 weeks later on a Sunday afternoon and it was just as good as in the evening. The wait staff is very friendly and the chef even came by our table to say hello.Special Features:
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I met another couple for dinner and discussion Sunday night and dined at 1920 Tavern at Opulent for the first time. It was delightful. our server (justin I believe) was fantastic, the food delicious and the cocktails well mixed. I will return again. My boyfriend has a severe dairy allergy, and although Justin informed the kitchen, the order came out incorrect anyway. However, the chef personally delivered the correct order to the table with his apologies and that went a long way with me. Everyone makes mistakes; not every chef is willing to personally apologize for them. I had the shrimp and grits and I would have licked the plate if it would not have raised an eyebrow. Very pleased overall with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchTuckercatDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere , beautiful bar area. Both had sandwiches which were good and plentiful portions.Special Features:
- Nothing specialkibtsDined on 7/7/2014Four of us dined at 1920 Tavern on a Monday night. We had the entire back room to ourselves so it was quiet. Service was ok, not great. A couple of requests were forgotten and had to be repeated. Two french onion soups were not hot and had to be returned. The rest of the food was good but nothing special or particularly memorable. Score one for management for sending us a dessert for the table to share because of the issue with the soup.
- Food was good.not great! Very noisyGoodDined on 7/3/2014Small outside seating area! Lively & bustling in restaurant as bar is an arms length from the dining booths! Great to be on Canton Street...it would really be great if they closed the street off & had more room for tables! Presentation of food was very nice & service was very good!Special Features:
- It was good, but not greatMak1Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is well situated in the Roswell square and has a cute outside dining area. Inside was VERY loud, but visually appealing. My husband had the spaghetti and meatballs, which was fantastic. The salmon with the lemon buerre blanc sauce was very bland and tasted much better when I added actual lemon to it, which I had to ask for. I had asked for salt and pepper but they had no pepper but were willing to go across the street and buy some. (A restaurant with no pepper?) The sides with my fish were excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night OutalpharettafoodieDined on 6/28/2014Went to dinner here with a group and had great food and even better service. One in our group had their food come out different than ordered - not only did server handle professionally but chef came out to apologize/check on our table. Would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyYummyFoodInRoswellDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed evening with friends. Server did not push us out, let us linger. The only negative I have is the noise level. We sat in the last booth of front room, maybe the noise bounced off the walls and landed on our table, who knows. There seemed to be a nice quiet room in the back, maybe I'll request it next time. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1foodbearDined on 6/28/2014Dinner was excellent. However, my meal had to be redone, as the waiter had made an error in the order and I did not receive the accompaniment that I had ordered. The dinner menu had many gluten free options, but the dessert menu was abysmal, and lacked both imagination and anything beyond ice cream for gluten free options. I think one reason that the waiter even delayed in offering dessert is that he knew the selection was the weakest part of the restaurant offerings. We were in the quietest part of the restaurant in the back dining room - it was quite noisy in the front of the house, and outdoor seating was on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- DisappointingjennibrynnDined on 6/21/2014I have ate at Opulent once before, sat at the bar- Great service, great drinks, amazing burger...literally amazing. The second time was the complete opposite. We waited 20 minutes to get drinks, the sever suggested the most expensive wine on the white wine list which was terrible. We asked for a gluten free menu which they did not have and is understandable but they could not tell us what the ingredients were in the food, after 15 mintues of back and forth the waiter finally asked the cook. We ordered the burger and it wasn't what I remember at all. When traveling to the bathroom the floor to the kitchen was so greasy I almost slipped and fell while a waitress told me to "watch that honey". Overall VERY disaapointing.Special Features:
- Friday Night Date Night4thefunofitVIPDined on 6/20/2014It was our first visit and probably not one that we will repeat. The downtown Roswell scene has many options and this wasn't one that stood our as a repeat experience. The waitress made several errors on our order from placing the wrong appetizer request to including items in our entrees that we had asked be removed. The noise level was high and they place tables very close together to get the most seating in this very small space.Special Features:
- NSWJVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food was great. Server was friendly but may have been new since he wasn't familiar with the menu, etc. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.