1920 Tavern at Opulent
948 Canton St
Roswell, GA 30075Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1920 Tavern at Opulent
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1920tavern.fhfoodtradinggroup.com/
- Phone: 7709983114x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Robert McDonough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 1920 Tavern at Opulent
1920 Tavern at Opulent is a global-inspired kitchen serving classic favorites with a modern twist. Although deeply rooted in the style of the great American restaurant, 1920 Tavern at Opulent is a celebration of the present featuring contemporary interpretations of market-driven and locally sourced ingredients. 1920 Tavern at Opulent focuses on the heritage of American dishes with an emphasis on global influences, styles and forms. The beautiful and meticulous interior design, inspired by the sophistication of the Roaring Twenties and speakeasy style, presents globe lighting and walls lined with antique mirrors and crystal accents. Dark brown woods and leather banquettes contrast diamond-shaped white tiles beneath beautifully suspended light pendants hung above the bar and dining areas. 1920 Tavern at Opulent’s refined and approachable cuisine showcases an array of fresh greens, savory starters, market-fresh sea fare and Masami American Kobe beef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (26)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (15)special occasion (15)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (9)good for groups (8)romantic (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Freshest seafood, outstanding mealkateDined on 8/16/2014This is our fourth visit to 1920 and every time has been outstanding. The chef came around to see how dinner was and recommended dessert. We had 4 different fish dishes, oyster appetizer and gelato dessert. Every single morsel, outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightRoswellVFLDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I picked 1920 for a last minute date night. The place was energetic but still good for conversation. The shrimp and grits were fantastic and the NY strip was perfectly medium rare. We were seated in a big booth with plenty of room and were served well by the wait staff. We'll make a return trip.Special Features:
- First Timernot4usDined on 8/9/2014This was the first time we ever went to The 1920 Tavern and we had an awesome experience. I had the Strip Steak and it was great. Cooked just right, juicy, melt in your mouth kind of steak. My fiance had the crab cakes. They were cooked the way crab cakes should be. A little crispy on the outside, cooked perfectly on the inside. The chef came out to meet us and our server Taylor was as professional as you can be. Very friendly, like we were old friends type of friendly, and knew the menu inside out. We drove from Acworth to try the place out, and it was definitely worth it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So Good This timejoe1Dined on 8/9/2014This was our third visit and it was not a charm. It was very busy and our entrees were delayed. One of the Fish Entrees was actually hard rather than flaky flaky. The Crab cakes were substantial but was lacking in taste. One order of the pound cake/cheese cake was replaced with the strawberry tiramiseu. It was not a particularly good experience. The weight staff was friendly and tried their best but it appeared they were overwhelmed by the crowd.
- Huge DisappointmentNoSparksDined on 8/3/2014I booked a 7:30 pm reservation for two on a Sunday night. First time dining here, so expectations were high. Huge disappointment on all levels - ambience, food and service. There is no ambience. We were seated in the back, surrounded by three large parties all with young children. I love kids, but not when I'm looking for a quiet dinner for two. Our server seemed like an actor...everything seemed scripted. Unfortunately, he didn't read the script. He was inattentive, and got both our orders wrong. The food was OK, after three attempts to get it right, but I expected so much better for the price. No offer to comp anything or even apologize. $100 wasted. Never going back.
- 2nd time we've been to your rstrant30minutesNorthDined on 7/27/2014What a wonderful find in Roswell. The steak, seafood and desserts were wonderful. My husband took me here for my 53rd Birthday and he ordered the steak and I ordered the mahi mahi. It was wonderful. We came back 2 weeks later on a Sunday afternoon and it was just as good as in the evening. The wait staff is very friendly and the chef even came by our table to say hello.Special Features:
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I met another couple for dinner and discussion Sunday night and dined at 1920 Tavern at Opulent for the first time. It was delightful. our server (justin I believe) was fantastic, the food delicious and the cocktails well mixed. I will return again. My boyfriend has a severe dairy allergy, and although Justin informed the kitchen, the order came out incorrect anyway. However, the chef personally delivered the correct order to the table with his apologies and that went a long way with me. Everyone makes mistakes; not every chef is willing to personally apologize for them. I had the shrimp and grits and I would have licked the plate if it would not have raised an eyebrow. Very pleased overall with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchTuckercatDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere , beautiful bar area. Both had sandwiches which were good and plentiful portions.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2014Four of us dined at 1920 Tavern on a Monday night. We had the entire back room to ourselves so it was quiet. Service was ok, not great. A couple of requests were forgotten and had to be repeated. Two french onion soups were not hot and had to be returned. The rest of the food was good but nothing special or particularly memorable. Score one for management for sending us a dessert for the table to share because of the issue with the soup.
- Food was good.not great! Very noisyGoodDined on 7/3/2014Small outside seating area! Lively & bustling in restaurant as bar is an arms length from the dining booths! Great to be on Canton Street...it would really be great if they closed the street off & had more room for tables! Presentation of food was very nice & service was very good!Special Features:
- It was good, but not greatMak1Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is well situated in the Roswell square and has a cute outside dining area. Inside was VERY loud, but visually appealing. My husband had the spaghetti and meatballs, which was fantastic. The salmon with the lemon buerre blanc sauce was very bland and tasted much better when I added actual lemon to it, which I had to ask for. I had asked for salt and pepper but they had no pepper but were willing to go across the street and buy some. (A restaurant with no pepper?) The sides with my fish were excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night OutalpharettafoodieDined on 6/28/2014Went to dinner here with a group and had great food and even better service. One in our group had their food come out different than ordered - not only did server handle professionally but chef came out to apologize/check on our table. Would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyYummyFoodInRoswellDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed evening with friends. Server did not push us out, let us linger. The only negative I have is the noise level. We sat in the last booth of front room, maybe the noise bounced off the walls and landed on our table, who knows. There seemed to be a nice quiet room in the back, maybe I'll request it next time. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1foodbearDined on 6/28/2014Dinner was excellent. However, my meal had to be redone, as the waiter had made an error in the order and I did not receive the accompaniment that I had ordered. The dinner menu had many gluten free options, but the dessert menu was abysmal, and lacked both imagination and anything beyond ice cream for gluten free options. I think one reason that the waiter even delayed in offering dessert is that he knew the selection was the weakest part of the restaurant offerings. We were in the quietest part of the restaurant in the back dining room - it was quite noisy in the front of the house, and outdoor seating was on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- DisappointingjennibrynnDined on 6/21/2014I have ate at Opulent once before, sat at the bar- Great service, great drinks, amazing burger...literally amazing. The second time was the complete opposite. We waited 20 minutes to get drinks, the sever suggested the most expensive wine on the white wine list which was terrible. We asked for a gluten free menu which they did not have and is understandable but they could not tell us what the ingredients were in the food, after 15 mintues of back and forth the waiter finally asked the cook. We ordered the burger and it wasn't what I remember at all. When traveling to the bathroom the floor to the kitchen was so greasy I almost slipped and fell while a waitress told me to "watch that honey". Overall VERY disaapointing.Special Features:
- Friday Night Date Night4thefunofitVIPDined on 6/20/2014It was our first visit and probably not one that we will repeat. The downtown Roswell scene has many options and this wasn't one that stood our as a repeat experience. The waitress made several errors on our order from placing the wrong appetizer request to including items in our entrees that we had asked be removed. The noise level was high and they place tables very close together to get the most seating in this very small space.Special Features:
- NSWJVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food was great. Server was friendly but may have been new since he wasn't familiar with the menu, etc. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 in AtlantaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2014We absolutely LOVED 1920 Tavern. The friendly staff made for a very comfortable dining experience and of course every dish we had was outstanding. We took the server's recommendations and ordered the shrimp and grits and the braised beef and they did not disappoint! The oysters rockefeller were also incredible. Overall, one of my favorites if you are willing to venture OTP!Special Features:
- Too loudEmsfoodiemomDined on 5/31/2014We had called and reserved a table in the back for a more private evening as we were meeting the parents of our daughter's fiancé for the first time. We were seated in a booth by the bar in spite of my reminder that we had made reservations. While the food and service was good, the noise level was so loud we were shouting by the end of our evening. Not good enough to deal with the noise.Special Features:
- Friends birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Food was not great. I ordered the flatbread app and while the flavor of the toppings was good the actual bread was cooked to the point that it resembles a pita chip. It was so crunchy it made it impossible to share or eat comfortably. My roast chicken entree was very over cooked and the bread pudding lacked flavor and was very dense. Even the chocolate cake for dessert was left unfinished as it tasted slightly stale. My companion had the tuna tatami as an appetizer and the mahi for entree both of which which she described as ok. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Misses the mark.WormWoodDined on 5/26/2014Food is amateurishly executed. Misspellings on menu. Many items unavailable. Hostess apathetic. Service staff needs training. Will not return.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014Was looking for something different and this was it. Food was great, I had the hanger steak, great flavor and cooked perfectly. My wife had the braised beef, everything on the plate complimented each other very well. My wife is a French onion soup snob and absolutely loves theirs. Finally, but definitely not least, if you like bourbon, they had one of the most extensive bourbon selections I have seen. The bartender made my wife a drink similar to what she had at another restaurant and she loved it. Overall, we are pretty tough to please and this was a great experience. Our server was also excellent which made the evening better as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForkKnifeSwoonDined on 5/23/2014This was my second time dining at 1920 Tavern. The first time, I went for lunch on a Sunday afternoon with my husband and it was lovely. The second time, I took my parents for dinner on a Friday night. Both visits the food was delicious, the service was great, but on Friday the noise level was incredible. We couldn't hear ourselves talk across the table. There were two men yelling stories at one another between shots in the booth behind us, a screaming child in the booth in front of us, and many more people shouting over one another at the bar. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, except for my parents who could not get out of there fast enough. Definitely a better place at night for a younger, more bar-friendly crowd.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/16/2014Loved the overall ambiance of 1920, and the food was delicious. It was a little loud, but that seemed mostly because there were a few parties with small children. The entrees were really spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!ScottinAtlantaVIPDined on 5/11/2014Dining at Opulent is always a pleasure for me and my family. Very low key, yet excellent food, with numerous choices for the adventurous and the kids in my family. The service has always been wonderful as it was on this most recent visit. I always recommend Opulent for friends and colleagues looking for a fun, causal, yet delicious experience.Special Features:
- Wouldn't say kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We were there for brunch. We had 2 toddlers so they put us in the back by the kitchen. They were nice to us though.
- Duck Tacos Anyone?CrazyTravelVIPDined on 5/5/2014Some of the best tacos I have ever had. Eggplant fries also amazing! Did I mention the chicken & fig flatbread? Everything we had was delicious!Special Features:
- The following 122 reviews are from the 1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews archive.
- joe1Dined on 4/25/2014Menu has many offerings and the Cioppino was very good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute placeBahamamamaDined on 4/20/2014Nice ambience and good food. Great with Kids and seniors.Special Features:
- Crowded barTeachDined on 4/18/2014Great food, great service. Very noisy. Too crowded at bar when waiting for table. No where to wait comfortably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!TripleLDined on 4/15/2014It was delicious! Great night out! Food was so good- a little pricey- but night for a treat!Special Features:
- saturday night at 1920 tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/12/2014bar staff very nice. wait staff uncaring and inattentive. food poorly cooked; potato puree cold next to overcooked spinach under completely unseasoned fish. nowhere near worth the price. might go back for a drink but never to eat.Special Features:
- fine but could step it up a notchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2014The big problem, I suspect, was naming it Opulent before they changed the name. Pretentious much? Inc, which it was before, always seemed packed and the ahi tuna corn tacos were incredible. We loved going there. Now that it' s the 1920 Tavern, it's fine but no more. My husband said the spaghetti with kobe meatballs was reminiscent of Chef Boyardee and my grouper sandwich was too heavily fried. More restaurants need to get on the healthier bandwagon and stop with the frying. That said, the cocktail was delicious and place has potential. We would give it another try - maybe we just ordered wrong. Also hostess seemed a little bent out of shape and that's really bad. Server introduced himself 3 times - 3 too many.
- Upscale Neighborhood Pub ExperienceFredDined on 4/6/2014Quiet rainy Sunday evening: very few diners, very attentive, friendly staff. We sat at a booth opposite the bar. We had never eaten at Inc. so cannot compare. Eggplant fries are a new menu item for us so we ordered them; good but one of us thought they had too much crust. Chargrilled (with andouille and tabasco) and boutique (freshest raw) oysters were yummy. (Had to ask for the pepper mill - a "must-have" with oysters.) Presentation of the Tuna Tataki was excellent, and the chef's version a nice twist. Loved the sesame oil powder! We finished with salads. The mis-named Quinoa Salad - yes, it had a few grains of quinoa in it - is essentially a green salad with an enjoyable blend of tastes. The Green Goddess salad was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfactory outingAHJamesDined on 3/29/2014As a note, Opulent's name has changed to 1920 Tavern. Came here with family and overall enjoyed the experience. The food was at times overpriced for what you got (if you want the Kobe meatballs, you will pay $11 for 2...and frankly, they didn't taste that extraordinary). I will say that the desserts were fantastic! Got the Amazing Burger which was a good burger, but again, not extraordinary. Fish tacos were a hit (recipe saved from when restaurant was Inc). After 6 on a Saturday night, the small space will be 100% packed so anticipate high noise levels.Special Features:
- Service stinks!SugarDined on 3/29/2014After waiting a long time for a waiter to come to our table, we asked for one! Took our order and 30 minutes later (no food yet!) came to our table and asked if we'd like any dessert? - Still, no food! Food was adequate - not special and pricey! This place was great as INC and fit Canton St. so much better! Greedy owners, for sure! Need to train staff better! Don't think we'll go back!
- second time was ok!AlphafoodieDined on 3/29/2014Dined w/ 3 couples. We were seated at a long booth which was tight fitting for 6 adults. I was in the corner. When the waitress greeted out table, I literally could not hear a word she said. Each time she came to take our order or offer more drinks, my husband sitting next to me had to give me the scoop and then tell the waitress my order. This was a miserable experience. Part of dining out is enjoying the menu as your server explains specials and drinks. My entree was ok- had it once before and it was much larger and more delicious the first time. The dishes of the other diners were cleared, the server offered us dessert while I was still eating my dinner. Not the best timing. We finished up and paid. In & out in under 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday30075Dined on 3/26/2014We celebrated a girlfriends birthday here recently and had a great time seated four girls at at booth. The food was good and the staff pleasant. The only mix up was at the end when splitting the bill and we wanted to pay for the birthday girl we ended up paying a total of 8 checks in order to solve the bill split to cover the Birthday girl. It put a damper on the ending because it took so much time away from our conversations. The peanut butter dessert is amazing but the ice cream gelato is not so tasty. Not sure what was happening Inside but it was crunchy. Our entires order was either the hanger steak or braised beef and all enjoyed those. Plus an appetizer and salads before were delicious too.Special Features:
- Lunch at OpulentHelen3dogDined on 3/26/2014I had chosen Opulent for a special birthday lunch, based on their photos online. I was very disappointed to be seated in the bar area, which is very ordinary and did not feel at all "special." The service was good and attentive, but the meal was very mediocre. My friend had the spaghetti and meatballs, and one of her meatballs was almost raw inside. Very unappetizing. My grouper sandwich was okay, and the fries were good. Coffee was just okay. With all the great places to choose from in Roswell, I wouldn't choose to visit Opulent again.
- My wife and I love this place.ExperiencedEaterVIPDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I love this place. They remember you from past visit. They try new things and let the tables give them feedback. Good Staff - Good Food. Always good. Fun place - not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.