1920 Tavern at Opulent
948 Canton St
Roswell, GA 30075Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1920 Tavern at Opulent
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1920tavern.fhfoodtradinggroup.com/
- Phone: 7709983114x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Robert McDonough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 1920 Tavern at Opulent
1920 Tavern at Opulent is a global-inspired kitchen serving classic favorites with a modern twist. Although deeply rooted in the style of the great American restaurant, 1920 Tavern at Opulent is a celebration of the present featuring contemporary interpretations of market-driven and locally sourced ingredients. 1920 Tavern at Opulent focuses on the heritage of American dishes with an emphasis on global influences, styles and forms. The beautiful and meticulous interior design, inspired by the sophistication of the Roaring Twenties and speakeasy style, presents globe lighting and walls lined with antique mirrors and crystal accents. Dark brown woods and leather banquettes contrast diamond-shaped white tiles beneath beautifully suspended light pendants hung above the bar and dining areas. 1920 Tavern at Opulent’s refined and approachable cuisine showcases an array of fresh greens, savory starters, market-fresh sea fare and Masami American Kobe beef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
1920 Tavern at Opulent - Best Restaurants in Roswell ›
1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (16)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)romantic (8)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Don't do lunchDisappointedVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had reservations for lunch. The restaurant is located in Historic Roswell downtown. Parking is atrocious!!!!The restaurant has no parking but there is a lot behind another restaurant they recommend you use that is small & crowded. I had to drive around 3 times to find a spot to park at lunchtime. Waste of my time. Upon arrival in the restaurant the wait staff was friendly and very nice. The turkey & Gouda on ciabatta bread was great & the fries were superb.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingEXCELLENTDined on 10/13/2014They are very attentive and great for groups and special occasions. The meatballs are excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedwayxxVIPDined on 10/2/2014Met friends here for lunch. Eggplant fries were very good. Had the cioppino(sp). was good. Wife has the trout, she said it was excellent. Has very good waiter.Special Features:
- Great foodNewsDined on 9/28/2014They were out of the brick pressed meat which is my favorite so we selected trout and Mahi Mahi. Both were excellent. Nice presentation. Eggplant strips were excellent as well. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Great Evening at 1920BillDined on 9/27/2014We had theater tickets for ourselves and another couple for 8:00 PM and were looking for a restaurant close by that would take reservations. 1920 was the only place in Roswell that took reservations and had a 6:00 PM slot open. We were a little concerned as to why but made the reservation anyway. We found that they wait later to take reservations for people just like us. It tuned out to be a great evening. The service was great, the food was fantastic and they got us out in time to make the play. All four of us would recommend this restaurant highly for a great meal and time in Roswell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casual diningMselfleaVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is a place to go to for a quick, convenient, pleasant meal. I have been to several other restaurants in the Roswell area but never here. Staff was friendly and the food was good.Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014I drove in horrible traffic for more than an hour to meet friends at this restaurant. 10 minutes before my reservation I received a phone call saying that the restaurant was closing for the evening with no explanation whatsoever.
- 1920 TavernBeautiesDined on 9/15/2014We shared appetizers and salads and had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKWilson1911VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was very tasty. Service was OK. Waitress was friendly although made an order error. Nothing appeared as clean as I'd like: wineglass, plate, table. So just OK
- Interesting ambiencejodybpVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great old world style restaurant with globe lights, parquet tile floor. Great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- a little disappointedDebZDined on 9/12/2014We've had great appetizers here before, but our meal recently was disappointing. The oysters were awesome, but it went downhill from there. My husband got the Cioppino - advertised with shrimp, mussels, clams and calamari. It was tasty, but arrived with only shrimp and fish. I ordered swordfish with roasted potatoes. The swordfish was overcooked the potatoes were undercooked - no brown roasted edges at all. The service was good - the chef came out to discuss what was wrong with the dishes. He apologized and delivered a separate bowl of calamari to my husband (we basically ate separately) and redid my fish, which was cooked better the second time, but they then smothered it with beurre blanc. Potatoes were still more like...boiled.
- Good food, wine slighlty expensiveRonRDined on 9/5/2014The food was very good. The crab appetizer and Eggplant Fries were tasty. We had a party of 4 and all ordered different fish. The servings were done very well, not over cooked and fish was very flakey. The only negative was the wine was a little over priced, even when compared to normal restaurant mark-ups. The service was very, very good. Waitress was knowledgeable with recommendations for food and wine. Had reservations for a Friday night and was seated with no wait. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- great late lunchMikeWDined on 9/1/2014Lunch entree was delicious as was the dessert. Not overly packed as it is at night. Happy customers at lunch. Relaxing leisurely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyARMalDined on 8/31/2014As I'm allergic to all seafood, menu did not have much to offer. Would like to go back but would like more non seafood/fish choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at 1920PepperDined on 8/30/2014It was okay. NOise level was not just loud but defining. I enjoyed the food. but they opened the doors to the outside and it became quite hot and flys were coming in not nice. Our waitress was very nice and the rest of the staff very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tippertipper14Dined on 8/29/2014This was a good restaurant. Nice menu and the food was good. On the Roswell "food" block its location is great with parking close.Special Features:
- Freshest seafood, outstanding mealkateDined on 8/16/2014This is our fourth visit to 1920 and every time has been outstanding. The chef came around to see how dinner was and recommended dessert. We had 4 different fish dishes, oyster appetizer and gelato dessert. Every single morsel, outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightRoswellVFLDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I picked 1920 for a last minute date night. The place was energetic but still good for conversation. The shrimp and grits were fantastic and the NY strip was perfectly medium rare. We were seated in a big booth with plenty of room and were served well by the wait staff. We'll make a return trip.Special Features:
- First Timernot4usDined on 8/9/2014This was the first time we ever went to The 1920 Tavern and we had an awesome experience. I had the Strip Steak and it was great. Cooked just right, juicy, melt in your mouth kind of steak. My fiance had the crab cakes. They were cooked the way crab cakes should be. A little crispy on the outside, cooked perfectly on the inside. The chef came out to meet us and our server Taylor was as professional as you can be. Very friendly, like we were old friends type of friendly, and knew the menu inside out. We drove from Acworth to try the place out, and it was definitely worth it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So Good This timejoe1Dined on 8/9/2014This was our third visit and it was not a charm. It was very busy and our entrees were delayed. One of the Fish Entrees was actually hard rather than flaky flaky. The Crab cakes were substantial but was lacking in taste. One order of the pound cake/cheese cake was replaced with the strawberry tiramiseu. It was not a particularly good experience. The weight staff was friendly and tried their best but it appeared they were overwhelmed by the crowd.
- Huge DisappointmentNoSparksDined on 8/3/2014I booked a 7:30 pm reservation for two on a Sunday night. First time dining here, so expectations were high. Huge disappointment on all levels - ambience, food and service. There is no ambience. We were seated in the back, surrounded by three large parties all with young children. I love kids, but not when I'm looking for a quiet dinner for two. Our server seemed like an actor...everything seemed scripted. Unfortunately, he didn't read the script. He was inattentive, and got both our orders wrong. The food was OK, after three attempts to get it right, but I expected so much better for the price. No offer to comp anything or even apologize. $100 wasted. Never going back.
- 2nd time we've been to your rstrant30minutesNorthDined on 7/27/2014What a wonderful find in Roswell. The steak, seafood and desserts were wonderful. My husband took me here for my 53rd Birthday and he ordered the steak and I ordered the mahi mahi. It was wonderful. We came back 2 weeks later on a Sunday afternoon and it was just as good as in the evening. The wait staff is very friendly and the chef even came by our table to say hello.Special Features:
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I met another couple for dinner and discussion Sunday night and dined at 1920 Tavern at Opulent for the first time. It was delightful. our server (justin I believe) was fantastic, the food delicious and the cocktails well mixed. I will return again. My boyfriend has a severe dairy allergy, and although Justin informed the kitchen, the order came out incorrect anyway. However, the chef personally delivered the correct order to the table with his apologies and that went a long way with me. Everyone makes mistakes; not every chef is willing to personally apologize for them. I had the shrimp and grits and I would have licked the plate if it would not have raised an eyebrow. Very pleased overall with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchTuckercatDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere , beautiful bar area. Both had sandwiches which were good and plentiful portions.Special Features:
- Nothing specialkibtsDined on 7/7/2014Four of us dined at 1920 Tavern on a Monday night. We had the entire back room to ourselves so it was quiet. Service was ok, not great. A couple of requests were forgotten and had to be repeated. Two french onion soups were not hot and had to be returned. The rest of the food was good but nothing special or particularly memorable. Score one for management for sending us a dessert for the table to share because of the issue with the soup.
- Food was good.not great! Very noisyGoodDined on 7/3/2014Small outside seating area! Lively & bustling in restaurant as bar is an arms length from the dining booths! Great to be on Canton Street...it would really be great if they closed the street off & had more room for tables! Presentation of food was very nice & service was very good!Special Features:
- It was good, but not greatMak1Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is well situated in the Roswell square and has a cute outside dining area. Inside was VERY loud, but visually appealing. My husband had the spaghetti and meatballs, which was fantastic. The salmon with the lemon buerre blanc sauce was very bland and tasted much better when I added actual lemon to it, which I had to ask for. I had asked for salt and pepper but they had no pepper but were willing to go across the street and buy some. (A restaurant with no pepper?) The sides with my fish were excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night OutalpharettafoodieDined on 6/28/2014Went to dinner here with a group and had great food and even better service. One in our group had their food come out different than ordered - not only did server handle professionally but chef came out to apologize/check on our table. Would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyYummyFoodInRoswellDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed evening with friends. Server did not push us out, let us linger. The only negative I have is the noise level. We sat in the last booth of front room, maybe the noise bounced off the walls and landed on our table, who knows. There seemed to be a nice quiet room in the back, maybe I'll request it next time. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1foodbearDined on 6/28/2014Dinner was excellent. However, my meal had to be redone, as the waiter had made an error in the order and I did not receive the accompaniment that I had ordered. The dinner menu had many gluten free options, but the dessert menu was abysmal, and lacked both imagination and anything beyond ice cream for gluten free options. I think one reason that the waiter even delayed in offering dessert is that he knew the selection was the weakest part of the restaurant offerings. We were in the quietest part of the restaurant in the back dining room - it was quite noisy in the front of the house, and outdoor seating was on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the 1920 Tavern at Opulent reviews archive.
- DisappointingjennibrynnDined on 6/21/2014I have ate at Opulent once before, sat at the bar- Great service, great drinks, amazing burger...literally amazing. The second time was the complete opposite. We waited 20 minutes to get drinks, the sever suggested the most expensive wine on the white wine list which was terrible. We asked for a gluten free menu which they did not have and is understandable but they could not tell us what the ingredients were in the food, after 15 mintues of back and forth the waiter finally asked the cook. We ordered the burger and it wasn't what I remember at all. When traveling to the bathroom the floor to the kitchen was so greasy I almost slipped and fell while a waitress told me to "watch that honey". Overall VERY disaapointing.Special Features:
- Friday Night Date Night4thefunofitVIPDined on 6/20/2014It was our first visit and probably not one that we will repeat. The downtown Roswell scene has many options and this wasn't one that stood our as a repeat experience. The waitress made several errors on our order from placing the wrong appetizer request to including items in our entrees that we had asked be removed. The noise level was high and they place tables very close together to get the most seating in this very small space.Special Features:
- NSWJVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food was great. Server was friendly but may have been new since he wasn't familiar with the menu, etc. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 in AtlantaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2014We absolutely LOVED 1920 Tavern. The friendly staff made for a very comfortable dining experience and of course every dish we had was outstanding. We took the server's recommendations and ordered the shrimp and grits and the braised beef and they did not disappoint! The oysters rockefeller were also incredible. Overall, one of my favorites if you are willing to venture OTP!Special Features:
- Too loudEmsfoodiemomDined on 5/31/2014We had called and reserved a table in the back for a more private evening as we were meeting the parents of our daughter's fiancé for the first time. We were seated in a booth by the bar in spite of my reminder that we had made reservations. While the food and service was good, the noise level was so loud we were shouting by the end of our evening. Not good enough to deal with the noise.Special Features:
- Friends birthdayNicciDined on 5/31/2014Food was not great. I ordered the flatbread app and while the flavor of the toppings was good the actual bread was cooked to the point that it resembles a pita chip. It was so crunchy it made it impossible to share or eat comfortably. My roast chicken entree was very over cooked and the bread pudding lacked flavor and was very dense. Even the chocolate cake for dessert was left unfinished as it tasted slightly stale. My companion had the tuna tatami as an appetizer and the mahi for entree both of which which she described as ok. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Tasty, but loudSmaschDined on 5/31/2014I had a yummy tuna tar tar dish, but what I remember most is how loud it was. We were in the back room, which was beyond loud with a 20-person table and 6 other two- to four-tops filled. Perhaps the front room with the bar, or the outside would enable a person to have conversation.
- Misses the mark.WormWoodDined on 5/26/2014Food is amateurishly executed. Misspellings on menu. Many items unavailable. Hostess apathetic. Service staff needs training. Will not return.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014Was looking for something different and this was it. Food was great, I had the hanger steak, great flavor and cooked perfectly. My wife had the braised beef, everything on the plate complimented each other very well. My wife is a French onion soup snob and absolutely loves theirs. Finally, but definitely not least, if you like bourbon, they had one of the most extensive bourbon selections I have seen. The bartender made my wife a drink similar to what she had at another restaurant and she loved it. Overall, we are pretty tough to please and this was a great experience. Our server was also excellent which made the evening better as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForkKnifeSwoonDined on 5/23/2014This was my second time dining at 1920 Tavern. The first time, I went for lunch on a Sunday afternoon with my husband and it was lovely. The second time, I took my parents for dinner on a Friday night. Both visits the food was delicious, the service was great, but on Friday the noise level was incredible. We couldn't hear ourselves talk across the table. There were two men yelling stories at one another between shots in the booth behind us, a screaming child in the booth in front of us, and many more people shouting over one another at the bar. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, except for my parents who could not get out of there fast enough. Definitely a better place at night for a younger, more bar-friendly crowd.Special Features: