40 West Jackson Place
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1913restaurant.com/
- Phone: 3173963623x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 2:00pm and 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 2:00pm and 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Robert Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate a table of up to 25 people in a semi-private area in our restaurant. We will also make the entire restaurant available to you for a private event with a minimum of 75 people. For questions or to make reservations, please call the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 317-396-3623x
A word from 1913 Restaurant
The farm-fresh ingredients of today and the cuisine of yesteryear come together at 1913. Named after the year the hotel was founded, 1913 offers a unique localy and regionally sourced menu - prepared from archived recipes that were popular in the Midwest in the early 1900's but with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1913 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Service was slowKimjmeVIPDined on 9/16/2014A mixed experience. The food choices were interesting. It was a quiet Tuesday and only five table occupied. We were a table of three who each had an entree, two sides, one drink each and dessert. The meal was over two and a half hours and extremely long waits for drinks and dessert. The food was hot, so I don't think it was a wait staff issue. Entrees were delicious. Desserts disappointing. Popcorn dessert is not indicated to be a pre-packaged product, slightly stale. Apologies, but no other attempts to correct. This is a hotel restaurant which I did not realize when I booked.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Food was good, service was friendly and good with one notable exception. Our young waitress was not properly trained in how to open or serve wine. She was unable open the bottle we ordered so I had to open it. She did not know to pour a small amount to taste. She did not pour our glasses full after we said the wine was OK. I had to ask for a bucket to keep our white wine cold. She never once refilled our glasses. She was very friendly but simply did not know how to serve wine to guests. I should note our water glasses were constantly being refilled and both our waitress and management asked how our food was...feel good about dining here. A little training is all that is needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnpreparedWellsttDined on 9/15/2014We had a 6pm reservation for 4 on Monday night before a Colts game. We were one of 3 tables when we were seated. We waited for 10 minutes to get our drink order then another 10 to get our drinks. We ordered when our drinks came and left after another 35 minutes without getting our apps or even another round of drinks. The place filled up quickly after we sat down but they were completely unprepared. My clients and I got to eat stadium food. Yeah
- Good but not greatMilanoDined on 8/27/2014Great server, Franchesca, but food was just "ok". Dined as part of Devour Downtown. Three of us had the ribeye and one had the pork. Pork was actually a double porkchop all in one piece. Salad was average but shrimp appetizer was very good. Cheesecake dessert was just average. Overall a good but no great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- tarik25Dined on 8/21/2014My husband had a very nice dinner. staffgreat not in your way,just nice. Food very good, enjoyed brussel sprouts not usually found. I would certainly go back and recommend to others. I noticed a very nice mix of people around us, validated parking for valet thats the best, they were very nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre hotel restaurantFoodmatters85Dined on 8/21/2014There was nothing particularly bad about 1913, but nothing stood out either. Good place to eat if you want to stay in the hotel. Don't get the cheesecake!Special Features:
- VeronicaDined on 8/19/2014A small group of us went for Devour Downtown. Everything on the menu was ordered by the group as a whole. The food was outstanding. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice quiet meal. There was no crowd and this was slightly concerning, but I think with it being in the Omni it may keep some of the Devour folks away and headed to the more popular places available. I think you would be missing out on a great meal if you didn't give this a shot.Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the 1913 Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good Food--confusing ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/6/2014We arrived at 8pm on a Wed. and there were no other diners there! The restaurant is attached to a hotel, located downtown, and there were two conventions going on. Being empty was quite odd and kind of concerning. We already committed, so we were going to try it out! The the decor was very nice, the music was nice, but neither fit the concept of the restaurant theme of '1913 Farm to Table'. The service started out slow, which was unexpected considering we were the ONLY people there at the time. But overall, the service was good. As it turned out, the food was great! We had the Beet Salad, Pork Chop, Lamb Chops, and their signature pie....all VERY good!!
- Fantastic Buffet BrunchIndyfoodiesfor8Dined on 4/13/2014We were greeted by attentive hostess, seated immediately. Our waitress was great! We were a party of eight and she did not miss a beat! Water, juice and coffees were never in need. The food was excellent. Our guests couldn't stop acknowledging the assortment of food! Loved the sausage patties, cinnamon bread and delicious muffins. The omelet chef was patient with all requests, and the omelets were so delicous and cooked to perfection. This was our first time to 1913! We attend St. John's on Georgia and Capital. 1913 would benefit from an add on the back of our parish bulletin mentioning the Sunday Buffet Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical hotel fareAimless1Dined on 3/15/2014Atmosphere more like a bar than a restaurant. Appetizers (deviled eggs) were interesting. Entree (lamb chops) strictly average. Service a huge disappointment. Waiter seemed interested only in large groups checking back with us just once. The place was not crowded. Better choices in Indianapolis.Special Features:
- DisappointedSusanDined on 3/13/2014After reading about this restaurant in Midwest Living magazine , I was really looking forward to this meal during my trip to Indy. Upon arrival, it seemed the host didn't have our reservation and then seated us with the comment "we are busty tonight so we will be slow". Not a good start. We waited over 20 minutes to get a menu! Once ordered the food arrived promptly. Salads were delicious and large - easily can be shared by two people. All three is us ordered the special - halibut with couscous. The fish was undercooked in the center - actually cold. I would have retuned it but no wait staff ever reappeared at our table! We had to wait over 20 minutes for the check as well.Special Features:
- The food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/6/2014I searched out 1913 due to the use of local foods/meats. I ordered the chicken and substituted brussels sprouts for the original side due to allergies. The food was presented well and tasty. I had to wait 25 minutes for my check and then ask for it. The restaurant was practically empty and my server was in my visual field. I'm pretty tolerant, but that pushed my buttons.
- The food was outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The food was outstanding! I also had an excellent wine. The service was great and I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly goodBooneDined on 2/25/2014I normally steer clear of most restaurants in hotels, but I enjoy the "farm to table" concept and had to try it. The atmosphere was what you'd probably expect from a hotel restaurant: opens into lobby area, very small bar, but did have nice period accents on the walls and good wine selection. Loved supporting local farmers. We were one of 3 parties in the restaurant and it took forever to get one of their signature cocktails. The veggies brought out were good and fresh but the portion should have been doubled. Appetizers and dinner was long in coming (again we were one of three parties; they weren't busy). But the food was excellent! I had pork chop with bacon jam. Great! The chocolate chip bread pudding is to die for!Special Features:
- Dysfunctional but tastyFoodsnobDined on 2/15/2014Inspired menu executed to near perfection. Foodies will not be disappointed. We had to wait 40 min for our dessert. Our waiter ignored us during this time. When we finally got his attention he made a snarky remark about the dysfunction in the kitchen. Not cool to throw your teammates under the bus like that. You should all be working together for the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewValJoeDined on 2/14/2014The food was very good and service was good as well. I was a little disappointed that there was a limited menu due to the holiday; however both of our meals were very good. The only thing that was little off-putting was the "appetizer" (I'm not really sure what it was supposed to be) of 2 carrot sticks, 2 celery sticks, 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 olives. As this was the first "course" I was a little apprehensive about what was to come after. However, everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special Valentine's DayCupidsArrowDined on 2/14/2014I knew about the special V-Day menu when I made the reservation, but didn't know it was the only option until we arrived. That being said, the food did not disappoint. I've never had a better filet (I don't order it a lot, but this was near the top of a short list) and my wife really enjoyed the seared halibut. The sides and other courses were top notch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodiesDined on 2/14/2014A very nice surprise. The food was exceptional. We dined here for the limited valentines day dinner. The grilled shrimp with bourbon maple cocktail sauce was a fantastic blend of flavors, simply amazing! The steak was melt-in your mouth delicious. The lemon poppy-seed Martini was perfect. A very nice job for a hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Dinnerbigred317Dined on 2/14/2014The 4-course meal that was presented for valentines day was amazing. Great food and great price. Nice gem of a restaurant inside the Omni Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a twistChefkenVIPDined on 2/5/2014The food and service were very good at 1913. We went on a cold night and enjoyed several of the entrees and sides. Although everything about the food and service was fine, I have to admit I was disappointed that the look of the restaurant had not changed from the previous restaurant that occupied the space. With a theme of "1913", I expected some sort of make over to compliment the inspiration of the food. Instead, the restaurant looked cool, almost sterile. When I recommend a restaurant to a friend, I like it to be a complete experience that I can be passionate about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodsp1569Dined on 2/1/2014I was very weary eating at 1913 Restaurant because it is a restaurant inside of a hotel. While it is similar to restaurants commonly found in hotels in the sense that it is overpriced, the food was much better than I expected. Order the steak or chicken - both were delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful Treatment & Foodcestmoi19Dined on 1/31/2014We (like many others I'm sure) decided on 1913 as our spot for this Winter's Devour Downtown. We had a party of 8 and we've had some experiences at other places where we feel they did not give us their highest quality service and food simply because of the Devour deal. At 1913, we did NOT feel this way at all. We felt that the menu offered a great sampling of what they offer on their regular menu and it was all prepared fresh and came out hot. We did not get treated as less of a customer simply because we ordered off the special menu either. Will definitely put this on the list of places to go to again even when Devour Downtown is not going on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food low energyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014We had a group of 6 during devour downtown. Food and specialty drinks were really good tasting. Family style sides. Awesome brussel sprouts. The services was extremely slow. Often felt our server forgot about us. I felt the ambiance was a bit stuffy and could be overcome by a more outgoing staff. Food was prepared perfectly, so I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i hate to give 1913 a less-than-excTNT17Dined on 1/31/2014i hate to give 1913 a less-than-excellent review based on one evening since they're clearly trying on several levels. The dishes have some creativity, and the execution was generally solid. Many of the ingredients come from good local sources. The service was pleasant and helpful. But nothing had the "wow" factor I was really hoping for. We may try it again sometime, but for now I'm in the "good but not excellent" camp.
- Hidden GemIrvingtonguyDined on 1/30/2014Visited here as part of Devour Downtown, excellent menu and prices. Large portion sizes and bread pudding was the best. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Caleb our waiter was perfect, always there when you needed him. Wish more people knew of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialEdiMommyDined on 1/26/2014My husband, daughter and I chose this restaurant because it was on the Devour Downtown list and for the fact that it offered "Sugar Cream Pie," my daughter's favorite. The restaurant was basically empty and stayed that way. We were immediately informed that the kitchen was out of brussells sprouts--unfortunately our favorite veggie. Our choice of wine was not available and so substituted for another, supposedly similar wine, but none of us much cared for it. Two of us ordered off the devour downtown menu; none of our dinners (pork chop, steak, or chicken) were worthy of the price they carried. My chop was extremely dry and overwhelmed with bacon. The most disappointing part? The Sugar Cream Pie tasted like instant pudding.
- Disappointing NY's Eve ExperienceDinerGalDined on 12/31/2013Food was good. They seemed to be in a hurry to get through the courses. Had to ask them to slow down. Live music was drowned by loud music from another venue in the hotel. Restaurant location and layout not suitable/attractive. Left before midnight.
- Great valueDoctrinsDined on 12/31/2013The menu was a 6 course prix fixe menu. We just returned from Chicago and found 1913 to be better quality and a tremendous value compared to the couple of "recommended" places we dined. We found the Chicago restaurant entrees to be priced about the same as 1913's entire 6 course dinner.The service was a little inexperienced. We initially felt rushed as they were clearing plates and bringing the next course immediately, but we took it upon ourselves to slow things down and enjoy it. The staff was not versed very well on the preparation or the ingredients of each dish. Our server was cute non the less and we felt like this was an excellent value as the food was prepared well and a diverse use of ingredients that complemented each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas 2013suaveslavDined on 12/25/2013This was one of few restaurants open in downtown on 12/25. Important with relatives coming from New Jersey. Chicken entrees were fine, though nothing creative. Did not care for corn milk sauce with vegetables. Pork entrée cooked in root beer was better received. Due to archaic Indiana liquor laws, not alcohol can be served on 12/25. A negative aspect, though not fault of 1913 Restaurant. Staff was very helpful in service. Good place to go when you have few options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 10 for DinnerRacerJPHDined on 12/12/2013Had a group of 10 for dinner, met at the bar and then to table, service at the table on this night was not good as the server was inexperienced and did not do a good job of taking orders, opening wine at the table, but the manager saved us and served us the rest of the night. We ordered the cheese and meat tray which was not that great but I have to say the steaks and entrees were fantastic, good wine list with reasonable prices. It was great that they were able to accept our large group without any problems, our table was ready when we got there and they were right on time with reservation. The manager was great!Special Features:
- A little bit pricey but sincecjschwartzDined on 11/28/2013A little bit pricey but since its all local farmers/food; worth paying a little bit more. We will definitely go back. Loved the deviled eggs, pork chop & wine!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerSteveDined on 10/22/2013Dinner with 7 colleagues and customers while using the Omni hotel for a conference. Food was delicious. Service was the worst I've eve had. Ever.
- poor servicenotafoodieDined on 10/20/2013We went here for dinner for 5 people before a Colts game. Yes, it was crowded but there were some empty tables. The service was bad. The waitress didn't know the menu at all and even said there were items we couldn't get unless we were at the bar even though they were on the menu. The servers were all very slow. Never checked back to get drink refills. We had to stop other servers to get anything. The food was so-so. Definitely not worth it except for its proximity to Lucas Oil Stadium.
- Surprisingly wonderful!DowntowndinerDined on 9/4/2013What a great experience! Loved the evening! Appetizers were great! Had the onion pie and a flavored popcorn. Root beer pork chops were outstanding. Everyone in our party really enjoyed their dinners. Food was innovative and satisfying. Our server was knowledgable about the food, steered us clear from some cocktails that were less that terrific and to really tasty ones. Top the dining experience with killer sugar cream pie. Oh yeah, and valet parking was complimentary, no searching for a spot. I highly recommend this little known gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1913 an overlooked gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/2/20131913, the restaurant in the Omni Severin in downtown Indianapolis, is a fine restaurant that doesn't get the attention that it deserves. The food is really very good, the service is unobtrusive but attentive, and the ambience is excellent. I strongly recommend it. it isn't cheap, but we got enough food to have a hearty dinner the next evening. The cocktail menu is interesting, as it draws on cocktails popular from the 1913 era but updates them in interesting ways. The wine list is excellent, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glamour ShotsUrbanFarmerDined on 8/29/2013I recently dined with a group of five at 1913. It was touted as a farm to table restaurant and that's what initially caught my eye. It wasn't horrible but it was definitely not worth the money. I wouldn't compare it to any of the authentic farm to table establishments I've been to. Fine for a hotel lobby dining experience but next time I'll spend my coins at Bluebeard.
- Love the use of local food sourcesHoosierIkeDined on 8/29/2013Had to ask for an early 6:00 PM reservation and was very quiet then. By the time we left around 8:00, the place was very busy on a Thursday evening. 1913 uses local food sources (referred to, I believe, as "field to fork") and we enjoyed a nice grass-fed fillet. A popular hotel restaurant in the midst of a bunch of popular stand-alone eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2013Food was good but not spectacular. Hadn't been here before, I just had the address, so I was surprised that it was in the lobby of the hotel. We went on a week-night and were one of only two occupied tables. Our waiter was attentive.Special Features:
- Poor serviceAllieDined on 8/25/2013The servers were very nice, but our water was never refilled through dinner despite the buser sitting and chatting outside the kitchen. we had a long wait for dessert, and overall felt like our service was mediocre at best.
- Upscale & TrendystevenDined on 8/22/2013The atmosphere is what we all (8 of us) mentioned - it was quiet enough that we could visit. Food was excellent, service was first class. Every single one of us wondered how we've never been before. Was a very, very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.