1905 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1905dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-1905
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am - 3pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:30pm - 9pm
Bar and Roof Deck open late every night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joel Hatton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Call the restaurant for details
- Private Party Contact: Tony Lucca 202-332-1905x
A word from 1905
Cozy neighborhood bistro and roof deck in the heart of Shaw, DC. Our beautifully appointed dining room is the perfect location for a special occasion dinner with your significant other or a celebratory dinner with a group of your closest friends and family. Our roof deck boasts picturesque vistas of the DC skyline, and is ideal for a leisurely glass of wine, some tasty bar snacks, and catching up with good friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1905 reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (24)romantic (16)good for groups (9)special occasion (8)hot spot (8)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently excellentMattDined on 11/22/2014Consistently excellent food and service. This spot always delivers and after a few visits the servers may even recognize you and give you the feeling that you're a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cozy spot with tasty food and friendly staffAnniversaryCelebratorVIPDined on 11/16/2014The warm, relaxing ambiance, consistently good comfort food, and accommodating staff make 1905 a unique place among the faster paced, trendy restaurants and bars in the U street area. It's a "go to" spot if you're looking for an easy experience to please the palate and enjoy good company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal, amazing serviceKJRRDined on 10/17/2014Love this place! Great for a Friday night dinner date or with a group. We tried the cauliflower steak, deviled eggs, Lamb BBQ special, and brussels salad - all insanely delicious. This was our first time at 1905, but not our last. We will definitely be back to try the other amazing seasonal vegetable options. The service was fantastic and friendly. We forgot our tickets to a show at home and the manager was kind enough to print them for us in their office. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop caps good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/2/2014A little pricey for the food, still worth the visit.
- Fun time Sat. nightVSKfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food at 1905 is pretty good-- the burgers are exceptional (although the cheese they use is pretty salty), but the rest of our meal was just so-so (I had the pulled pork and my other friend had the shrimp and grits that was ringed in pepper, which wasn't appetizing). But, the cocktails and ambience of the place keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FooddcsapperVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had to find somewhere for our pre-show dinner close to 9:30 Club. Our regular favorite was closed for a private party, so based on the Open Table recommendations and its vicinity, we picked 1905. What a great decision! The range of food available meant that every member of our party had at least two options to pick from. We were undecided and asked the server for recommendations and can only say that she was "Bang On" with what she recommended. We had a fantastic meal and will have to find an excuse to come back sooner rather than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bday dinner with friendsSag6hDined on 9/16/2014The food was a solid A-, at prices that are a fair value. It's a great everyday option with the ambiance of a nicer place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portionNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 9/12/2014I usually enjoy the food but the "Friday Special" pulled pork sandwich was way too small for the price and the side of brussel sprout slaw was practically inedible due to the amount of vinegar. I left the restaurant looking for another place to get more food.
- Great spotPAWsDined on 8/26/2014I love this spot, not only is their rooftop bars one of the best hidden gems in DC, but the food and service in the restaurant is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreptcaDined on 8/23/2014Food and service were fair. A one time stop. Not worth the cab ride from Foggy Bottom.
- A Diamond in the RuffLexChexVIPDined on 8/16/2014I didn't expect for this place to be as good as it was. I was pleasantly surprised. My husband and I went during restaurant week and had a great experience. Southern style cuisine with a modern twist. We really liked it and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLuv2dineDined on 8/14/20141905 is the only place I've ever been that said to order whatever we want and if the total is less than the restaurant week fixed price, they will charge the lower price...which we took advantage of because we didn't all want dessert! The food was amazing!! Wonderful vegan options (cauliflower steak was delish) and a great burger too! Service was good and wait staff was attentive without interrupting. Loved it!! Can't wait to go back!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingjatlienDined on 8/13/2014The salads are delicious! I had the jar salad and tried the kale salad, both were great; however, there was less excitement about my entree. I had shrimp and grits, they were okay (I've had wayy better). Now on to dessert....wonderful...mud pie is a must! Overall, I would definitely go back for the salad and/or deserts.Special Features:
- Best Food Experience latelyFoxonWheelsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Awesome restaurant. We need to come here more often and so should everyone else. Excellent menu. Creative, but not "silly". Was tough to decide which items to order because everything was so appealing. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Too CoolSteamedPorkBunVIPDined on 8/12/2014Funky spot. Service is attentive but slightly irreverent. The ambiance is almost too cool, at least by DC's somewhat stodgy standards. The food is good-surprisingly so, given that it seems to be offered almost as an afterthought. Nothing I'm still craving days later, but not at all disappointing to a discerning palate. Again-cool spot, and I'll return again. Overall, it feels disproportionately expensive for the dining experience, but that's just my two cents...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A WinJamieVIPDined on 8/12/2014The place is eclectic without being pretentious, and the look is warm and homey, which is a nice change from the industrial trend in DC. Food is superb, start to finish. Pimento cheese deep is a must. So is the pork belly. And the kale salad. Seriously everything is so good. Cocktails are hit or miss, but the Rye Smash is my favorite. Sometimes they seem a bit unbalanced, but the selection is good, and the beer and wine list are legit. Tons of vegetarian options too -- and not just the veggies with slab of cheese variety. I love this place. The service is chill but attentive, the ambience has a SECRET GEM feeling. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 510 reviews are from the 1905 reviews archive.
- Thanks chef!JenB627Dined on 7/23/2014My girlfriend and I came for dinner on a weeknight and the bars were both full, but we were the only table in the restaurant for the first hour. We had excellent service and impeccable food, and we will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Thank goodness for 1905JohnGinsbergDined on 7/18/2014A very un-DC restaurant. 1905 is not designed to be suitable for large corporate-team or Congressional staff get togethers, like so many souless restaurants all over downtown DC. It is not an overdone "concept restaurant" through which you can see the drawing board of the "restaurant group" pitching to their financiers, like almost every new or newish restaurant (last dozen years) on 14th St. NW, in Penn Quarter, in the West End, in Logan, at the Yards. It is a restaurant with a genuine, charming personality--in the decor, the menu, the music, the ambiance. (Only a genuine personality can be charming.) It's romantic. The food is amazing. It is someone's labor of love, as a restaurant should be.
- NeilDined on 7/3/2014Good, but nothing special. For the money I'd continue exploring other places. No desire to head back.
- A gem in the U St Shaw Areagrace220VIPDined on 6/27/20141905 is one of my go to restaurants when I forget to make weekend reservations, but that's a shame because the food really is delicious. Our party had a watermelon and avocado salad that was divine, salad in a jar and homemade pimento cheese to start. For entrees, the vegetarian grains dish really is a star - although lamb shoulder and brisket were also a hit. Great cocktails, great service and a nice wine selection. I highly recommend this place. And when you're done, the roof is a great spot to enjoy the summer evenings.Special Features:
- Not Sitting PrettyotberburVIPDined on 6/14/2014Unfortunately, the most memorable part of my initial visit to 1905 was the seating -- some of the most uncomfortable I've ever encountered in a restaurant. About half the seating in the room is on benches running lengthwise on either side which are not cushioned and far too narrow. A shame, because the room is otherwise furnished nicely. The food was respectable. My black bean hummus, served with toast, had little taste and should not have been presented chilled. A catfish main course was more successful, but the accompanying hush puppies were too dense.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed SpeakeasyecoliexDined on 6/13/2014We went on a Friday night at around 9pm. There was plenty of space, even though their dining room is small. What a great hidden gem. The drinks are pricy but they are delicious. The food is outstanding. We had their house burger and it was yummy. I'm surprised it wasn't more crowded. I'm tired of those places that are super delicious yet super full where the wait times can range from 1 to 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was as loud as the roommckbevVIPDined on 5/25/2014Service was good, but he dining room was so loud we couldn't talk to each other. Nothing in the decor cut voices from bouncing off all the hard surfaces. And all the food was so heavily spiced it over powered the taste. Starting with too much horseradish in the Bloody Mary, the sausage gravy scantly poured over stale biscuits were overpowered by too much black pepper, and the fiery hot Breakfast Burger was not edible. To be fair there were hints on the menu that these might be spicey (not the word I would use), but even the scrambled eggs were overpowered by the too strongly flavored cheddar cheese dumped on them. I can only imagine how the sriracha mayo would have added to the overkill. Sadly disappointed, we will not be returning.
- An eclectic gemPaulVIPDined on 5/23/2014Walking up the dark stairs I wondered, "Is there a restaurant up here?" What a great discovery it turned out to be. Unlike so many newer restaurants, nothing about 1905 seems forced, contrived or pretentious. Cozy and comfortable, with a menu that delights and surprises. Every dish had something unique and memorable. Though not a vegetarian, I found the cauliflower "steak" amazing. My date's fish, with a beet slaw was perfectly prepared. If you'd like something not far from the hubbub of 14th and U streets, this is a great find.Special Features:
- Fun place for a first dateLearningToEatDined on 5/20/2014The restaurant was a fun place for a first date. The staff was super helpful and funny, they explained what the specials were, and also gave up suggestions. The beer list is pretty nice also. If you go I totally recommend the Angus burger paired with the DC Brau Citizen been in a glass... it was DELISH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to date night restaurantustreetmikeVIPDined on 5/15/2014Me and the huz have been going to 1905 since the opened and they never dissapoint. Small menu means lots of care and love go Into each dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great versions of classic mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014I just had my 3rd visit to 1905 and it may have been my favorite. Great place for vegetarians and meat lovers alike. The warm grains vegetarian dish is outrageously good (says the happy meat eater), as is the pork butter, jar salad.....the chocolate dessert is really remarkably good. We now think of going there just to get that on random nights after work. Cocktails are also great and the wine/beer list is reasonably priced. Really a great find!Special Features:
- Superb food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/1/2014I took out of town guests here for a true DC experience and 1905 did not disappoint. The food and service were excellent. The atmosphere was relaxed and you could enjoy conversation without shouting to be heard. I would highly recommend for taking out of town guests or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and eh foodJennyCVIPDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant was incredibly loud and nearly impossible to hear my friends. I had been excited to eat here for a while and finally got around to going and was very disappointed. The service was very very slow, the food was not very good and overall it was a let down. On a positive note, I had the lamb shank and that was delicious! I would definitely get that again, however the catfish was over fried (like eating fried cornmeal, not fish) the chicken was bland... One dibs that was amazing does not make me want to rush back.Special Features:
- Great serviceCattyDined on 4/20/2014Everyone was so nice and the food was really fresh and great flavor. The rooftop is such a great place to have some drinks and spend time with friends. Planning to visit again but this time stay at the rooftop!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okay - some of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2014Food was okay - some of our dishes were great, others just mediocre. Ambiance was lacking- it was so loud our table of 3 couldn't hear each other talk.
- Different Experience than UsualBusinessDiningVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've eaten here several times before and I swear by the citrus yogurt. some things were off with our food this time but not enough to make me not go. The service was also a bit off and that isn't the norm, but not horrible enough to make me not go...overall this plac has a great atmosphere and is a must see...I'm chalking this week up to an off week.
- Food was excellent. The serviceFritziMayVIPDined on 2/22/2014Food was excellent. The service was friendly, but a little slow. It was a Saturday night, and they were busy, so it's understandable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I checked it outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Been meaning to try this place for dinner. Pleased we did. Portions were just right and prices were fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger heaven!!!TreatyourselfVIPDined on 2/20/2014The burger is delicious! Add the pork belly for an incredible experience! Coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and foodSueagraviadorVIPDined on 2/15/2014We just moved to Shaw a couple of weeks ago and decided to try 1905 with friends. It was pretty crowded so I am glad we had reservations. We sat at the bar while we waited for our friends and table. The bartender was very cool and took the time to explain to us the menu and all the specials. We tried some local beers and a few appetizers, including the grass-fed burger (which my husband totally loved) and the pork belly with truffled grits. Both really good. The decor is pretty nice and we had a really nice experience. Service was great and we would def come back. It feels very cozy and it's like 2 blocks from us.Special Features:
- One of the Best in DCGoNavyVIPDined on 2/15/20141905 is tucked away upstairs on 9th Street near a random assortment of shops. Don't let the lack of storefront deter you from visiting. The menu is creative and changes often enough to make it interesting, but not so often that you can't make it back for your favorite. The chef uses unique ingredients or sauces to ensure you'll have difficulty picking. The staff is spectacular -- attentive, but not overbearing. The drinks are great and the wine list outstanding -- always something that I like, but never outrageously priced. The desserts are also worth noting -- rich and perfectly prepared. I can't believe this isn't rated in the top 5 restaurants in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maybe for lunchgoodtasteVIPDined on 2/7/20141905 sounded good, but was a disappointment. The restaurant is located on the second floor of a renovated space accessed by a flight of stairs that confront the patron once they open the outside door. It does not look as advertised - no authentic turn of the 19t century decor. The food and the service are just OK. If you order a cocktail, be advised to ask the waiter what ingredients he/she intends to use, or be specific about what you expect in the drink. Otherwise you will be surprised and possibly annoyed when you take your first taste I ordered a Cape Cod, and could tell almost immediately that there was something not right about it. The waiter told me they used 'tea vodka' instead of traditional vodka. Not very classy.Special Features:
- Atmospheric and tastykatnapVIPDined on 1/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at 1905. The restaurant's look and feel is like stepping back to, well, 1905 - it was perfect for a cold winter night. The service was attentive and our waiter was very knowledgeable - we got into a discussion about whether green totatoes were really tomatoes or something else, and he was able to settle the question. The food was excellent - some of the things we tried sounded like outlandish combinations, and they were all delicious. Standouts were the deviled eggs, ancient grain entree, crawfish hushpuppies, and the poached pear. I'm not a vegetarian, but the veg dishes sounded (and were) so good that I ended up ordering a vegetarian meal. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy with great comfort foodDeeInDCDined on 1/16/2014I went here with a friend during restaurant week and was very happy with the experience. The ambience is warm and cozy with brick exposed walls and a French cafe feel. The staff was very friendly, and a welcome change from the pretension from staff at style-but-little-substance places in more upscale neighborhoods. I ordered the kale salad on a date-based dressing and that was delicious. I had the farro dish as an entree and the flavors of the accompanying pear in the mushroom sauce was a perfect accompaniment. My friend ordered the rice pudding with pear and a chai salt topping which was also delightful. Had only 2 vegetarian entrees so was somewhat limited but many vegetarian appetizers to choose from. I would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.