1905 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1905dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-1905
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am - 3pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:30pm - 9pm
Bar and Roof Deck open late every night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joel Hatton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Call the restaurant for details
- Private Party Contact: Tony Lucca 202-332-1905x
A word from 1905
Cozy neighborhood bistro and roof deck in the heart of Shaw, DC. Our beautifully appointed dining room is the perfect location for a special occasion dinner with your significant other or a celebratory dinner with a group of your closest friends and family. Our roof deck boasts picturesque vistas of the DC skyline, and is ideal for a leisurely glass of wine, some tasty bar snacks, and catching up with good friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1905 reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (18)romantic (13)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Just OKLowellDined on 1/5/2013A bit too expensive for decent food and marginal service. Our waiter, apparently overwhelmed by one large table (the only other one occupied!) took a long time to even acknowledge our presence. We went early on a Saturday night, so it was slow, but still a bit odd that the hostess was reading a book at the bar (!). Burger was excellent, the lobster meatballs and gnocchi were just OK. We didn't explore rooftop (too cold) so can't speak for that part of the experience.
- Not good anymoreFromawayVIPDined on 1/4/2013I've been to this place 3 times before tonight and the service and food have definitely gone down hill. My hanger steak was room temp maybe and tiny - noticibly smaller than before. We were a party of 4 in what was virtually an empty dining room at 7:30pm on a Friday night. One in our party had the gnocchi and he might have had 4 teaspoons in his bowl. The other 2 in my party had the burger that was also not hot enough, and nothing special in taste, but at least was a good portion. The server was abrupt and unenthusiastic. When asked whether he would chose the quail or the burger, he said he couldn't compare, but if asked to chose between the burger and the lamb sandwich, he would chose the lamb. What kind of an answer is that? Don't go.
- Good food, just not a lot of itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012We had 4 in our party. 2 ordered the gnocchi dish that was $20, what they received was a disappointment. There was a total of maybe 5spoonfuls. The food was very good just not anywhere close to enough. We also ordered the crab beignets as an appetizer. $14 for 3 somewhat small round fried balls. I ordered the lamb sandwich. It was very good but very similar to a French dip. However the only side dish was a handful of mixed greens. The last member of the party ordered the burger, which at $12 was the cheapest item in the menu. It was large and liking but again, lacked a side dish. Good but again not worth it. If you like good, medium priced restaurants and have a very small appetite than 1905 is the place for you, otherwise stay away.
- I've been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/19/2012I've been to this restaurant countless times over the last couple of years and this most recent experience was the first time I've ever been disappointed. The level of service has fallen and the value of the restaurant in general is at a low point right now. From $8 draft beer to the single (1) scallop appetizer for $14: you're just really not getting as much bang for your buck. I'm sure that they will make adjustments and my next visit will be just as awesome as all the visits before this one. In general it's a five star experience and I hope it will be again in the future. Avoid the appetizers.
- Went in on a Sunday night.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/16/2012Went in on a Sunday night. Quiet, just a couple of tables. Service was friendly and correct. Menu was limited, bistrot style. Food was correct. Overall, a good neighborhood place to go to when you do not feel like cooking at home.
- My Favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/16/2012Great food and service while enjoying a great ambiance. Portions are smaller with very nice presentations but if you are very hungry you've got to at least get an appetizer and a side dish or go for the burger.Special Features:
- Excellent Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012Brunch at 1905 is fantastic! Bottomless mimosas and bloody mary's along with french toast topped with brie makes for a wonderful Sunday morning date spot. I couldn't recommend it more highly. Compliments to the chef!Special Features:
- DC gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/9/2012I have been a devotee of 1905 since it opened. I don't live in DC anymore, but travel back frequently, and this is always a must. This time I was there for brunch and some of our group had never been before and they equally loved it.Special Features:
- Only complaint is that theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2012Only complaint is that the portions are very small relative to the prices. The lobster meatballs were delicious but not sure that 2 meatballs for 14 bucks is worth it.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was reallyMonicaDined on 12/6/2012The atmosphere was really great! Very romantic and cozy, felt like we were in Paris in the 1920s. Exposed brick walls, tin ceiling and cozy seating. Our server was fantastic and had really great suggestions about food. Very interesting cocktail list; our server recommended the Hot Kentucky and Fresh Ginger cocktails and they were both great. The menu was all very seasonal. The portions weren't too big--we each got an appetizer and an entree and it was just the right amount of food. The scallops appetizer was absolutely delicious. The lobster meatballs were interesting, but probably wouldn't get them again. Overall a fantastic experience!Special Features:
- Great time here. Really engagedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2012Great time here. Really engaged service. Hope to go back again soon!Special Features:
- Very romantic spot in theDCBadgerVIPDined on 11/9/2012Very romantic spot in the upstairs of an old row house. If you want a quiet, romantic atmosphere, I recommend a 7:00 or 7:30 reservation on the weekend. There's lovely jazz playing over the speakers, but by 8:30, it's too loud to hear much at all.Special Features:
- There were a few groups thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012There were a few groups there on Saturday night who made the restaurant extremely loud and we were bummed the pecan pie was finished by the time we got to dessert, but the food was otherwise really tasty and the restaurant itself has a great vibe. I also appreciated that the wait staff was attentive even through all the noise. I'd go back, but on a quieter night.Special Features:
- We visited before a show atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2012We visited before a show at the Howard Theater. It was a great choice. Everything was really good.
- Food and service were outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/2/2012Food and service were outstanding. Clientele was too loudSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed my visitluvgoodfoodDined on 10/27/2012Nice spot. Great for dinner birthdays or romantic dinner.Special Features:
- The cocktails were uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012The cocktails were unique and wonderful, and the tuna tartare was mouth-watering. We had chicken and the catch of the day-- both great, though the tuna tartare was what I will remember.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable diningsvmartellDined on 10/25/2012I was very close to giving this experience five stars. The food was outstanding! We had the oysters, crab cakes, and gnocchi which were all served very hot--a big plus for me. The gnocchi was the best I have ever had! The only downside was that the portion was very small. I think I had about 10-12 pieces which left me wanting more since it was so good! The service was prompt, but both male servers were not very welcoming. They were not rude, just not pleasant. I was never asked about how the dinners were after we were served. Overall, very enjoyable dining experience, but a bit pricey without a coupon.Special Features:
- The sparkle is goneaatnaplesVIPDined on 10/24/2012This was my sixth visit to this restaurant and it will be my last. The restaurant has deteriorated tremendously from my first visit more than three years ago. On the night we dined they ran out if at least three items on a menu that had only 15 items in total. Sadly they even ran out of bread. My chicken saltimbocca was flavorful but the chicken was dry and overlooked. It was also a petit chicken breast sold for $24 on the menu. This place has lost it's way.
- Menu is quite small so you'dOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2012Menu is quite small so you'd expect that what you ordered would be well prepared. Not the case. Crab cakes had a lot of filler and the burger was half the size of the bun it was served on. A piece of cold brie that wasn't even sliced to cover the burger sat on top. It looked like something from a sixth grade cooking class. After five minutes of being brought the food someone asked me if I wanted any condiments, didn't know what they had available, and came back five minutes later with a small dollop of mustard. By that point I was almost done eating though I had plenty of bun leftover. Perhaps I was supposed to dip that in the mustard?
- Nice view, good servicbut the food?outandaboutDined on 10/24/2012Too limited number of food options...small portions. Redeeming factor is roof deck; great in nice weather. They need to up their game on the food side if they want to survive.....both quality and selectionSpecial Features:
- Over-priced and underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/21/2012We suffered through a very poor dinner experience at 1905. It started with a gruff greeting from our surly server; through "cottage fries" that are, in fact, just potato chips; then a $24 chicken breast with nothing else on the plate (seriously!); a long wait to get our check; and, finally, no attempt at a goodbye. We will never, ever return to this over-priced rip-off.
- We were blown away by theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2012We were blown away by the food and service at 1905. We started with the lobster meatballs, followed by the carpetbagger steak and diver scallops, and were impressed by everything.Special Features:
- Great rooftop bar and amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2012Great rooftop bar and amazing food. It is a little pricey for what you get so look for a deal.Special Features:
- Great food, quiet restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2012Great food, quiet restaurant space (though it was a weekday) and beautiful view from the rooftop bar. Roof area is not very conducive to eating and does not have tables.Special Features:
- Fantastic cocktails made byOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2012Fantastic cocktails made by great bartenders! Food was good; hostess and server were friendly but service overall was erratic on a Friday night. Felt rushed... would have lingered and ordered more but was getting a little uncomfortable and restless. Would come again but probably not for a while....Special Features:
- This small hole in the wallLeahVIPDined on 10/9/2012This small hole in the wall is the upstairs of a nondescript house on 9th street. Menu was small but with a good variety. Everything was definitely on the heavier side but on a cold night, sounds delicious. VA meatballs and gnochhi were yummy.Special Features:
- Service was okay - they gotLizzieVIPDined on 10/7/2012Service was okay - they got hit by one or two large tables and after that it was hard to get a water refill or replace a fork that had fallen on the floor. The tuna appetizer is great The scallops from my main dish were wonderful, but the accompanying root veggie puree was rather insipid.
- 1905 had an off night - maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/7/20121905 had an off night - maybe because it was on a Sunday evening. The Scallops were overlooked - & everyone's meal @ the table was underwhelming. In addition - the service was not that attentive even though it was a slow night...my past experiences have been very good - but my advice may be not to go on Sunday...
- A hidden gemHoping4MoreDined on 10/7/2012We had an early dinner so we were the first customers. Interesting decor. Our server was very nice and attentive. He made sure to ecknowledge our anniversary and offered a free glass of wine for each of us to toast to, which was very nice. We ordered the tuna tartar for our appetizer. It was good and had a nice presentation, but it was a little on the bland side...we've have had better at other restaurants. Our entrees luckily were excellent and quite the surprise. We also had a chocolate mousse for our dessert that was a little on the thick side, but very good. We enjoyed our time there. It's definitely a hidden gem in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- I love 1905elms79Dined on 10/4/2012Love this place. Fantastic food, beautiful atmosphere, great service. And the new roof deck is amazing.Special Features:
- Hidden gem -- I love 1905!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2012Hidden gem -- I love 1905! Always the perfect spot for an any-time dinner with an awesome shabby chic vibe and comfort food with a twist. LOVE the pulled lamb sandwich. And the wine list is always diverse, affordable and creative.Special Features:
- picked for its location (closeSkd4Dined on 9/28/2012picked for its location (close to Howard Theatre) and good reviews; were very please with our dinner; great waitressSpecial Features:
- Food was aweful, I'm alwaysColetteVIPDined on 9/27/2012Food was aweful, I'm always willing to pay for a good meal, but the food at that place was terrible! I had the steak, I order a medium rate, I got medium well. The steak had a lot of fat on it. I also had a glass if Pino Noir.. Had a sip and that was it.. The wine was terrible...when the waiter ask me if I enjoy the wine, I told him no and he just walked away. Would never go back.
- This place seems better whenOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2012This place seems better when it is busy. Have gone there a lot and my experiences are not consistent. I will keep trying but they need step it up a notch -- there is more and more competition in the area.Special Features:
- This turned out to be theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2012This turned out to be the worst restaurant experience I've had in ages. The service was non-existent although they only had a few tables. After 20 minutes no one had come over to take our order. We asked a server who was passing to take our order and she acted very inconvenienced. She took our drink order and ran off before we could order food. Meanwhile a table next to us was seated and their order taken right away...before ours, although we had been waiting at this point for 25 minutes.We again asked someone passing if we could please order our food. When it arrived (salad & entree @ the same time) the server had forgotten one of the salads. Food was OK but won't be going back.
- Excellent meal. Server hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2012Excellent meal. Server had good suggestions and a nice personality. Every dish was excellent and we left very pleased with the meal.Special Features:
- Loved the decoration, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012Loved the decoration, the service, but especially the food! It was incredibly delicious!Special Features:
- There were TWO large groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2012There were TWO large groups -- one of about 8 folks and another of about 15 -- and it's a very small dining room. So it really kind of ruined the evening because one of the groups was very light. THe ambience of a very nicely decorated, quaint dining room was lost in all the commotion. So I would definitely suggest asking about group parties when you are booking your reservation. Otherwise, food & drink were nice. Service was a bit inattentive but that was probably because of the groups.
- Never a dissapointment. ThanksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2012Never a dissapointment. Thanks for bringning brunch back.Special Features: