19 N Market
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://19market.com/
- Phone: 4082806111
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm DINNER: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm Thursday - Saturday: 10pm - midnight - $5 Bar Menu - $5 House Specialty Drinks - $3.00 Draft Beers - $5.00 Well Drink
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Hanna Pham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy corporate luncheon in the comfort of your office. We provide party trays of assorted appetizers and entrees. Please visit www.19market.com for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: 19Market is the perfect place for your next special event or private party. From an intimate cocktail party to a formal business function, our restaurant can accommodate your entertainment needs in our elegant main dining room or our more intimate private dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Hanna Pham 4082806111
A word from 19 Market
Voted "BEST VIETNAMESE CUISINE" - The Wave Magazine 2006 Readers Choice Award. - Metro Best of Silicon Valley 2006 Winner. - San Jose Magazine 2007 & 2008 Readers Choice Award. A standout in the downtown dining scene, 19Market - Modern Vietnamese Bistro & Bar - provides a unique and welcoming atmosphere with its elegant setting and warm hospitality. Our stylish dining room - decked out in earth tones and dark wood accents —sets the stage for our contemporary twist on classic Vietnamese dishes. Using only the freshest ingredients carefully selected on a daily basis, award-winning Chef Hanna Pham infuses Asian and Californian flavors to satisfy the most discerning tastes. Our menu is ideal for those seeking a healthier gastronomic experience. With an abundance of fresh herbs, aromatic spices and vegetarian options, our dishes are light yet intensely statisfying. We welcome you to come join us and take part in a truly unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
19 Market reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great place in Downtown San JoseSN1974Dined on 10/22/2013Had dinner at 19 Market on a week night. The restaurant was empty, so we were a bit skeptical. Our experience turned out to be a great one. There was a lot to choose from the menu. Everything we ordered was delicious, especially the tacos and the Chilean sea bass. Service was friendly. We will definitely be returning with a larger group so we can sample more of the items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising findOneshtchiDined on 10/19/2013Food was very good. Tofu curry was delish . Black bean scallops done perfectly. Overall tastySpecial Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2013The vietnamese tacos and mango papaya salad are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2013We love going to 19Market because the food is a yummy mix of Asian cuisines. Variety, fresh, well-prepared food. The string beans and salmon is out of this world! And, thankfully, they let us just take up a table chatting for over half an hour after we were done with dinner. The relaxed atmosphere made it an extra treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No staff to be seenLoveFineFoodVIPDined on 5/26/201310 minutes to be seated because there was no on in front. 10 minutes to get our order in and 30 minutes before we got our food. No one came by to refill our waters, so my daughter had to go to the bar to grab the pitcher of water. I ordered the steak and fries which was simply beef and potatoes stir fry. The garlic noodles was cooked in garlic oil, no actually garlic, son's Pho had no flavor, and chicken satay and calamari were tasteless without any sauce. The waitress stood and talked while my daughter had to go into the kitchen ask for boxes, the check, and a refill. so my daughter went UP to her and asked her and it still took her 10 minutes to get what we needed. Overall this was waste of our time we will never come back here again.
- I was able to get vegan onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2013I was able to get vegan on everything I ordered - much appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and tastyktolayDined on 5/17/201319 market turned out to be a quet place for a business lunch with excellent food. Parking next door is plentiful and the restaurant validates so it cost me nothing to park. I would recommend this for a lunch spot near downtown without the parking hasles you can encounter downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendednicknameVIPDined on 4/22/2013This restaurant is always a treat. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Food consistently fantastic. The Shaken Lamb is always, consistently fantastic, delicious, wonderful. Recommend the Fish in Claypot and the "Saigon Steak and Fries." Wine list very well comprised to match with the Vietnamese Food. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- We walked in and no one greetedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013We walked in and no one greeted us. It took about 10-15 min. for someone to notice us. The bartender was the one that was attending to all the dining guest (about 8 tables and serving drinks to their big party) finally took our drink 10 minutes after we were seated. We ordered our appetizer 5 minutes after we sat down. Our appetizer came 30 minutes later. The bartender explained and apologized that they had a big party in the back. Then we waited another 20 minutes for our dinner. Really poor management by the owner of the restaurant. They were better off closing the restaurant for this event. Unfortunately we had the same experience the very first time we visited this restaurant back in September.Special Features:
- Small venue and fare lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2013Small venue and fare lunch prices. We enjoyed lunch on a Friday and notice only one server with approx. 75% capacity. However the server managed. The "Shaken lamb" recommendation by the server, was just okay. I might give the restaurant another try but order something different. Over all it was okay and the location was convenient to garage parking.Special Features:
- I have been here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2013I have been here several times and the food is consistenty good. We tried the tacos and they were great. Fast and friendly service, good fresh food, reasonable prices, it doesn't get much better!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and WinenicknameVIPDined on 3/1/201319 Market is one of the best Vietnamese restaurants in the San Jose area. Consistently very good food, excellent wine list with choices that pair beautifully with the food, surprisingly good Bourbon list, small but active bar. For the 4th time, we've had the Shaken Lamb, and every time, the lamb is succulent and tender - very high quality. New to us this time, the "Steak and Fries" was delicious, and highly recommended. For Vietnamese, this is our go-to for very good food.Special Features:
- I needed a place with decentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013I needed a place with decent vegetarian options and my meal was excellent. We are just visiting San Jose, but hope to go back before we leave.
- It has been 14 months sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013It has been 14 months since I have to 19 Market. Was going to an ice hockey game close to the restaurant. In the past, it has been very busy and difficult to get into as it is quite a small place. However, other than one other couple we were the only ones dining which was a bit disappointing as it is more festive when not so quiet. The prices are a bit high for what we received. Maybe that is why as there are other less expensive options nearby.Special Features:
- Would try this restaurant again.flamingflaveDined on 2/15/2013We ordered the Valentine's Day pre-fix menu recommended by our waitress, even though it was the 15th. The appetizers, spring rolls, a tangy salad mix were very tasty. Baked Sea Bass was excellent, served with rice and crisp vegetables. An excellent presentation of grilled butterflied jumbo shrimp over garlic noodles was mildly seasoned and could have been hotter (temperature). Dessert was very nice, a scoop of ice cream and wedge of chocolate cake. Almond Champagne was mediocre and came with the pre-fix menu. A glass of white wine was not chilled adequately. The menu was very interesting & so we would try this place again!
- Been to 19 Market a few timesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013Been to 19 Market a few times and always had great service, great vibe and a really pleasant experience. However, Valentine's day wasn't so good. They had a set menu which I wasn't expecting (maybe I should have been). However, the waiter didn't explain it and seemed to be worried about something else. The food was very good, a bit slow, but not too bad. From the menu I thought the food came with wine, but it didn't and by the time I tracked down the waiter to check we were done with the wait and went down the street for a drink to finish off the evening.Special Features:
- I took my wife to 19 MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013I took my wife to 19 Market for Valentine's Day. She loved the food, service and the romantic atmosphere. Me, too.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Good ambiencekchuanDined on 2/14/2013Excellent food. Good ambience for special ocassion.Special Features:
- Fresh take on Asian fusionSBgalDined on 2/14/2013We attended on a prix fixe evening so were surprised when the courses came out on top of each other, (Would have liked better timing as this was a special event meal, not a quick dinner out,) Some of the courses were very nice and others unremarkable. Would like to try again with a regular menu for a casual dinner, as I think that might be better for this venue.Special Features:
- The hostess seemed annoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/28/2013The hostess seemed annoyed at my arrival and decided to continue doing other things while I waited patiently for my table to be cleared so I could be seated. She ised more hand gestures than words. The food was pretty decent. Nothing too spectacular but it was indeed satisfying and good. It took about ten minutes for someone to come and take our order. I was a little embarrassed to have had a lunch date here. I'd probably keep this place pff of my list of restaurants to bring first timers to.
- Great food and service. IJohnVIPDined on 1/26/2013Great food and service. I love this place and will continue to go back.Special Features:
- we were driving from the eastLovehistoricsavannahVIPDined on 1/25/2013we were driving from the east bay to carmel, and wanted a nice lunch break. 19Market is convenient to two highways, easy to find, easy to park on the street nearby. we liked seeing downtown historic san jose, a very quiet area. the food was delicious, interesting, and novel for us. service was very fast and pleasant. everything good.
- Service was slow and inattentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Service was slow and inattentive. perhaps a server failed to show up? just 2 servers were present and the place started to fill up when we were halfway thru our dinner. Sauces were too heavy and the beef was not tasty. I was looking forward to trying this place but unlikely to return.
- Top service and Very good foodnicknameVIPDined on 1/12/2013Our second visit, and gladly they confirmed our impression from the first time: food and service were as good, if not better. Two diners from last visit so enjoyed the shaken lamb, they ordered it again. We're happy to report that the lamb was just as tender and wonderful as the first visit. New dishes for us this time: calamari (cooked PERFECTLY) and pulled pork lettuce wraps were very, very good. Duck breast appeared to be twice cooked (seared as a whole breast, then sliced and grilled). It had decent texture and flavor, but I would have preferred to have the breast simply seared and sliced; the regrilling ruined the skin and fat of the breast. Wine list gets high marks for being great matches for the food, but markups seem slightly high
- The restaurant is small, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2013The restaurant is small, but nicely decorated and doesn't feel crowded. Service was prompt. The food was good and attractively presented. The wine list is not large, but there is a nice selection, and the wines are categorized according to their character, which helps the diner.Special Features:
- Great vietnamese food, andOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/12/2013Great vietnamese food, and a great bar cocktail list.Special Features:
- Highly recommended; excellent foodnicknameVIPDined on 1/2/201319 Market was a very pleasant experience. The service was gracious, well-timed, professional. All the dishes we ordered were very well prepared. Three stellar dishes worth mentioning: 1) Shaken Lamb: I haven't had such tender, high-quality lamb in a long time; it was prepared perfectly and every bite was fantastic; 2) Chilean Sea Bass in Claypot: a little small for the cost, but the flavors were complex, delicious; excellent dish. 3) Imperials Roll with Spicy Sauce: Served very hot and delicious. The wine list is crafted very nicely to pair well with the menu. Dining at 19 Market was one of the best dining experiences we have had in the past few months. We will be back. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- The spicy lemongrass shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012The spicy lemongrass shrimp was the best thing we ordered. The broth was amazing and the shrimp were not over cooked. Also ordered two rolls, one that was fried, very good and also the duck spring rolls, which were just ok. Service was great and really appreciated they were open late on X-mas day!
- very good food and service;rolomoVIPDined on 12/19/2012very good food and service; good prices; so-so ambiance
- Outstanding food and goodCoachVIPDined on 12/19/2012Outstanding food and good variety of selections on menuSpecial Features:
- A little expensive for theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/9/2012A little expensive for the quality of the experience. Food was tasty but the atmosphere was a bit lacking.
- awesome vietnamese cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2012If you like Asian American fusion this is the place to go. Excellent food and very well crafted cocktails. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys authentic ethnic food with an unique twist.Special Features:
- This is a quiet little restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012This is a quiet little restaurant. I have been there twice lately and both times the service was attentive and the food was excellent - a cut above the normal Vietnamese restaurant fare.
- Tried this on a whim. Wow,PatriciaDined on 11/16/2012Tried this on a whim. Wow, what a find! We made a dinner of trying out appetizers with a nice glass of wine. Vietnamese tacos are to die for and the calamari is crunchy, tender and delightful. I wouldn't get the salmon cigars again as they were too fishy for my taste. The waitress was delightful despite the busy night.Special Features:
- Excellent food, good bar andOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2012Excellent food, good bar and adequate wine list helped to create a great ocasionSpecial Features:
- Nice menu but the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012Nice menu but the food was a bit dull when it arrived. The cocktails, however, were excellent
- We enjoyed the happy hourKayoshiDined on 10/26/2012We enjoyed the happy hour appetizers, clams with rice crackers, and beef rolls. They had a nice selection of happy hour items. Also for dinner we had- pho ap chao (panfried rice noodles with seafood & vegetable topping) and the green papaya mango salad. Everything was tasty and portion size seemed about right. Atmosphere was upscale for a restaurant specializing in Vietnamese food.Special Features:
- Friday night in downtown SJOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2012Fresh seafood preparations with bright Vietnamese flavors. Their beef dish is also very good ... could not get enough. Moderate prices for an evening out in downtown San Jose.Special Features:
- Great find in San JosefreshfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2012Terrific, delicious food. Very attentive service. Our family had a great dinner. Lamb chops with noodles our favorite dish.Special Features:
- Average foodSjiyerDined on 9/30/2012Average food quality nothing to write about. Egg plant curry was borderline tasteless.